What is Smith's best position?

Guest toonlass
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think Smith is a welcome addition to the squad in terms of depth, versatility and the fact I think he's not a bad player. But he's not a player we really needed and not at the expense of a winger, which has become the weakest part of the squad.

As has been pointed out before, he could come in very handy when the African Nations Cup comes around, as any or all of Martins, Geremi, Faye and Beye could be gone for a month. I do think he'll come in handy as a utility player for any injuries which arise in midfield or up front and I think coming off the bench he could help us close out a game. If, say, we had a tight lead against Man Utd with 30 mins to go he'd be an excellent option to bring off the bench to try and close the game.

But I don't think he deserves a starting place in any position on current form.

not a bad player? he certainly isn't a GOOD one.

I stomped my feet at the thought of signing him, and so far he's proven me right, he's simply a nothing player with a good work rate.

Too early to jump on him yet though, like i said then, he's got my support while playing for us.

He's got a season to impress and prove himself, if not i think we should move him on in the summer.

Sensible approach TT.

Its just a hangover, it will be over soon and i wont do it again.

:laugh:

:laugh:

i'd rather play smith up front then ameobi, works hard in a bellamy harrying type way, his best position is probably attacking midfield with creative plauers wide of him allowing him to come in behind late off the forwards and would do the midfield work aswell.

Smith's problem is that he's become the dreaded "utility" player, ready, willing and able to do a job for his team wherever the manager requires him.

I can't think of any such players that get the credit they deserve for doing a job for the team, and it's typical that Smith is seen as the weakest link despite being part of our excellent start to the season.

Regarding his best position, I think we would see the best of him up front if Viduka got injured in a 4-3-3 or 4-4-2.

Smith's problem is that he's become the dreaded "utility" player, ready, willing and able to do a job for his team wherever the manager requires him.

I can't think of any such players that get the credit they deserve for doing a job for the team, and it's typical that Smith is seen as the weakest link despite being part of our excellent start to the season.

Regarding his best position, I think we would see the best of him up front if Viduka got injured in a 4-3-3 or 4-4-2.

His problem isn't that he's a utility player, it's the fact he's a average player.

His problem isn't that he's a utility player, it's the fact he's a average player.

I'd agree with you, he's average.

But I really don't see the problem with having him here at all. We've basically acquired solid depth for a number of positions. We've paid 6 million, yeah, but it'd have cost more to buy seperate players for the positions he'll fill that would play to the level he does. Also seems a good character and comes from a club with a winning mentality.

If he's still starting when we get Barton and Emre back then I'll be unhappy, but for now all he's doing is keeping the likes of Pattison out of the team, which I see as crucial. We can't have 22 top class players, some solid ones are needed and Smith is just that.

Guest Knightrider

Smith is a more versatile version of Dirk Kuyt who many wanted us to splash upwards of £15m on last year...

He's an average midfielder but a decent striker. He's not and never will be a goalscoring striker, but in that role as the centre-forward he's more than good enough.

I like him, I think he'll be a good squad addition and that regardless, he will contribute to the cause positively which to be fair to him, he has done since joining as have all the others too.

Guest Knightrider

Comparing Smith to Kuyt would be like comparing Ashton to Shearer tbh.

:lol:

Err, no it isn't, how do you work that out!?

Smith and Kuyt are both similar, they are not penalty box strikers, more like forwards who operate outside of the box using their stamina, work rate and battling skills to harass the opposition and to toil away for their more skilled team-mates, while chipping in with a few goals and efforts at goal themselves. Play Smith up top in a run of games and you'd get pretty much the same out of him as Liverpool do with Kuyt.

Ashton and Shearer though? The similarities end in their nationality as individuals. Ashton is more akin to Viduka than anyone else, especially Shearer.

Smith and Kuyt are both similar, they are not penalty box strikers, more like forwards who operate outside of the box using their stamina, work rate and battling skills to harass the opposition and to toil away for their more skilled team-mates, while chipping in with a few goals and efforts at goal themselves. Play Smith up top in a run of games and you'd get pretty much the same out of him as Liverpool do with Kuyt.

Ashton and Shearer though? The similarities end in their nationality as individuals. Ashton is more akin to Viduka than anyone else, especially Shearer.

Smith isn't in the same league as kuyt skill wise. He's been a major factor in their good start this season.

There are only a few sensible posts in this thread.  This was one of them. O0

...and this was another.  O0

We've got off to a good start. I'm dubious of the 4-3-3 but it was 4-4-2 yesterday which I'm happy about. The spirit looks good, there is an organised look and some unity about the team that hasn't been seen for quite a while now. There are some people in this team who look like strong personalities and are decent footballers as well, these are the attributes you need and we seem to have them in some quantity now. Smith is one of those players, I'm not sure what the grief is some people seem to have with him. To say he's average or shit is a joke, tbh.

It would be good if the moaners would shut up for a bit and look on the positive side. We're in for a decent season, no doubt about it.

Smith isn't in the same league as kuyt skill wise. He's been a major factor in their good start this season.

Skill-wise? Kuyt's hardly fucking Rivaldo. I'm with the coach: can't see that much difference between Smith and Kuyt, tbh. Kuyt probably a better finisher but I don't particularly rate either of them.

You've changed your tune because I can remember you saying Ashton was the perfect replacement for Shearer and had similar styles, you also said he was better than Torres so you may have been going through a drug problem at the time.

Kuyt is a far better player than Smith though and the gap is as big as that between Ashton and Shearer, Smith offers us nothing and was £6 million wasted and unless he does something to prove otherwise over a run of games (something he hasn't done in the past 4 years) then my opinion will remain the same.

Guest Knightrider

You've changed your tune because I can remember you saying Ashton was the perfect replacement for Shearer and had similar styles, you also said he was better than Torres so you may have been going through a drug problem at the time.

Kuyt is a far better player than Smith though and the gap is as big as that between Ashton and Shearer, Smith offers us nothing and was £6 million wasted and unless he does something to prove otherwise over a run of games (something he hasn't done in the past 4 years) then my opinion will remain the same.

I did say he would be a good replacement for Shearer but not as in a replica, and I did say he was a better player than Torres, I stand by that comment. He may not score more goals or be as quick, but he's a better all-round player in my opinion, despite, like Shearer, being a different kind of player. Oh and I don't touch drugs.

As for the gap between Kuyt and Smith being as big as Ashton and Shearer, now you're being silly. For one Shearer was a world-class striker which suggests you're claiming Kuyt must also be and that Ashton must be as shite (in your eyes) as Smith. Which he isn't, he's a much better player than Smith and he's also better than Kuyt.