Steve Harper

Guest SLK

Guest optimistic nit

Once again I would only compare Given's situation to that of Cech, Van Der Sar and Reina. Wouldn't they and their fans find it somewhat strange to find them out of the team after they come back from injury.

We are talking about a goalkeeper here who has twice been the PFA Goalkeeper of the Year, Won the North East Footballer Of The Year, and has been our player of the season for about five of the last seven seasons and has won 80 International Caps.

This situation goes to show what short term memories people have, and how fickle and knee jerk you are. Some people are even now claiming Given is nothing special or simply an average goalkeeper. Yet if he comes in and puts in a few good performances all of a sudden he will then be a world class goalkeeper again. The same thing has happened with Geremi, at the start of the season we have this classy quality player who should be captain, now people want him dropped.

it is absolutely unbelieveable. he's one of the best keepers in europe lets not forget, gordon cost 9mill, a keeper of givens quality is worth at least 15.

it seems to me everything called into question about given are things that could have the blame put on someone else. good luck orginising a defence comprising of bramble and andy obrien.

To suggest given doesn't have a presence or aura in goal is laugable james, he's the best shot stopper in the league, also what are these mythical attributes that turn a keeper from a good one into a successful one, because i can't think of any. in fact the only one i can think of is greed, which would have seen Given put in a transfer request and he'd be winning trophies at arsenal now.

"Also, his approach on and of the pitch always seems to be about him the individual, rather than Newcastle the team." as far as i can make out you've made this conclusion entirely out of the hearsay created by these articles.

" but Shay wanted everything, the FA Cup, the league, everything, the lot" of course he wanted everything, he's a fucking world class keeper for christs sake. if he didn't want to start every game he'd have something wrong with him, he's not a charity. if he was as selfish or greedy as you say he'd be at arsenal.

Once again I would only compare Given's situation to that of Cech, Van Der Sar and Reina. Wouldn't they and their fans find it somewhat strange to find them out of the team after they come back from injury.

We are talking about a goalkeeper here who has twice been the PFA Goalkeeper of the Year, Won the North East Footballer Of The Year, and has been our player of the season for about five of the last seven seasons and has won 80 International Caps.

This situation goes to show what short term memories people have, and how fickle and knee jerk you are. Some people are even now claiming Given is nothing special or simply an average goalkeeper. Yet if he comes in and puts in a few good performances all of a sudden he will then be a world class goalkeeper again. The same thing has happened with Geremi, at the start of the season we have this classy quality player who should be captain, now people want him dropped.

it is absolutely unbelieveable. he's one of the best keepers in europe lets not forget, gordon cost 9mill, a keeper of givens quality is worth at least 15.

it seems to me everything called into question about given are things that could have the blame put on someone else. good luck orginising a defence comprising of bramble and andy obrien.

To suggest given doesn't have a presence or aura in goal is laugable james, he's the best shot stopper in the league, also what are these mythical attributes that turn a keeper from a good one into a successful one, because i can't think of any. in fact the only one i can think of is greed, which would have seen Given put in a transfer request and he'd be winning trophies at arsenal now.

"Also, his approach on and of the pitch always seems to be about him the individual, rather than Newcastle the team." as far as i can make out you've made this conclusion entirely out of the hearsay created by these articles.

" but Shay wanted everything, the FA Cup, the league, everything, the lot" of course he wanted everything, he's a f****** world class keeper for christs sake. if he didn't want to start every game he'd have something wrong with him, he's not a charity. if he was as selfish or greedy as you say he'd be at arsenal.

Spot on..........

It's really sad that some people are taking pleasure in Given-bashing, where the fuck have you lot been these last 10 years!?! Shay's been our only consistently world-class player over that time, were you lot watching another team or did you just have your heads up your arses? These are nothing stories based upon the most meaningless quote I think I've ever seen in a paper. Anyway, any half decent player should be wanting to play every game, which is precisely the problem with Harper, he lacks ambition. That's great for us because it means we can hang on to one of the best back-up keepers in the country, but that's what he is a great back-up, Shay's no1.

It's really sad that some people are taking pleasure in Given-bashing, where the f*** have you lot been these last 10 years!?! Shay's been our only consistently world-class player over that time, were you lot watching another team or did you just have your heads up your arses? These are nothing stories based upon the most meaningless quote I think I've ever seen in a paper. Anyway, any half decent player should be wanting to play every game, which is precisely the problem with Harper, he lacks ambition. That's great for us because it means we can hang on to one of the best back-up keepers in the country, but that's what he is a great back-up, Shay's no1.

True thats all Harper is to be honest...a very good back up keeper!Well said mate :clap:

" but Shay wanted everything, the FA Cup, the league, everything, the lot" of course he wanted everything, he's a f****** world class keeper for christs sake. if he didn't want to start every game he'd have something wrong with him, he's not a charity. if he was as selfish or greedy as you say he'd be at arsenal.

He wasn't fuc*ing world class back then...There was nothing to separate Harper and Given back then from performance point of view...Harper was doing amazingly in the cup games...Maybe you weren't supporting NUFC back then so you don't know...

Given is not a charity neither is Harper, but Harper is a team player....How many of you were slagging Belamy for threatening to hand in a transfer request when news were circulating about Rooney coming to NUFC ? How many were angry at Shearer when there were rumours that he will not accept being on the bench even though SBR wanted that...

No one is undroppable and no one is above the NUFC...Apply this to everyone not just to whoever individual player you dislike from the squad...

. Anyway, any half decent player should be wanting to play every game, which is precisely the problem with Harper, he lacks ambition. That's great for us because it means we can hang on to one of the best back-up keepers in the country, but that's what he is a great back-up, Shay's no1.

Are some of you that THICK...There is a difference between wanting to play games and HAVE TO play games OR ELSE I SPIT THE DUMMY...Do you think Harper has been happy not playing ??? Do you think before you write ?

. Anyway, any half decent player should be wanting to play every game, which is precisely the problem with Harper, he lacks ambition. That's great for us because it means we can hang on to one of the best back-up keepers in the country, but that's what he is a great back-up, Shay's no1.

Are some of you that THICK...There is a difference between wanting to play games and HAVE TO play games OR ELSE I SPIT THE DUMMY...Do you think Harper has been happy not playing ??? Do you think before you write ?

He wasn't fuc*ing world class back then...There was nothing to separate Harper and Given back then from performance point of view...Harper was doing amazingly in the cup games...Maybe you weren't supporting NUFC back then so you don't know...

Given is not a charity neither is Harper, but Harper is a team player....How many of you were slagging Belamy for threatening to hand in a transfer request when news were circulating about Rooney coming to NUFC ? How many were angry at Shearer when there were rumours that he will not accept being on the bench even though SBR wanted that...

No one is undroppable and no one is above the NUFC...Apply this to everyone not just to whoever individual player you dislike from the squad...

Correct.

Are you psychic?

Otherwise how do you know that Shay is in the slightest bit pissed off about not playing the other day?

The quote is "I've been away, I'll talk to him when I get back".

About what!?!?!

If he was that pissed off don't you think they'd have a better quote than that!?!

One saying: "That fucking Harper bloke!! Who the fuck does he think he is!?!?! Fucking hell!!!!! don't they know who I am!?!?!!?!?! AAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrgghghghghghghgghhh!!!!!! I'm going to fucking kill them!!!!!" or something like that.

It's a bullshit story with a bullshit quote to "back it up", yet you've swallowed it down and asked for seconds.

Do you open your eyes before you read?

Are you psychic?

Otherwise how do you know that Shay is in the slightest bit pissed off about not playing the other day?

The quote is "I've been away, I'll talk to him when I get back".

About what!?!?!

If he was that pissed off don't you think they'd have a better quote than that!?!

One saying: "That f****** Harper bloke!! Who the f*** does he think he is!?!?! f****** hell!!!!! don't they know who I am!?!?!!?!?! AAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrgghghghghghghgghhh!!!!!! I'm going to f****** kill them!!!!!" or something like that.

It's a bullshit story with a bullshit quote to "back it up", yet you've swallowed it down and asked for seconds.

Do you open your eyes before you read?

I was referring to your earlier comment about Harper "any half decent player should be wanting to play every game, which is precisely the problem with Harper, he lacks ambition."

You make it sound like Harper doesn't care whether he plays or not and he is happy not being given the chance to play because of Shay's previous attitude of "either me or I'm out of here"...I'm not talking about the latest story about Shay as we don't know much about it but my gut feeling says that he wants assurances from Sam to reclaim his position in the starting lineup...

Right: PROVE TO US THAT SHAY GIVEN HAS SPAT THE DUMMY.

All yopu are doing is reading some quotes that DO NOT say he has spat his dummy out, and interpretting them to fit soem fucking stupid Given-bashing agenda. And 'fucking stupid' is an understatement there.

So come on: prove there is any problem.

All yopu are doing is reading some quotes that DO NOT say he has spat his dummy out, and interpretting them to fit soem fucking stupid Given-bashing agenda. And 'fucking stupid' is an understatement there.

Simmer!

Nobody is saying he has tbh, although there are a few who seem to have it in for Shay. The general concensus seems to be that it sounds unlikely but if it were true, it would be out of order. Speculation.

Simmer!

Nobody is saying he has tbh, although there are a few who seem to have it in for Shay. The general concensus seems to be that it sounds unlikely but if it were true, it would be out of order. Speculation.

And i quote: "because of Shay's previous attitude of "either me or I'm out of here"...I'm not talking about the latest story about Shay as we don't know much about it but my gut feeling says that he wants assurances from Sam to reclaim his position in the starting lineup... " absolute shite.

All yopu are doing is reading some quotes that DO NOT say he has spat his dummy out, and interpretting them to fit soem f****** stupid Given-bashing agenda. And 'f****** stupid' is an understatement there.

Shay Given spat the dummy 7 years ago during the early years of SBR times and I said I won't be surprised if the recent talks he wants to hold with Allardyce are about his place in the team...

i wouldn't be too happy to be on the bench after actually having a good defence now... he's been one of our most consistent performers behind an awful defence for the last couple of years.

Allardyce is just being cautious i think, we knows Shay is getting fitter, Harper has been playing good and there's an international break coming up, where harper won't play but shay definitely will... so both of them will have played games. good decision imo if shay gets through those games without problems and starts the next league game in goal

All yopu are doing is reading some quotes that DO NOT say he has spat his dummy out, and interpretting them to fit soem f****** stupid Given-bashing agenda. And 'f****** stupid' is an understatement there.

Shay Given spat the dummy 7 years ago during the early years of SBR times and I said I won't be surprised if the recent talks he wants to hold with Allardyce are about his place in the team...

So he's done nowt this time. Good, glad we cleared that up.

As a side note, mrs henke has agreeed to calling our first son shay.  :thup:

Agreed on the given bashing an'arl. Hes played behind a defense consisting of 4 clowns for a decade, and he only considred leaving once, if thats not loyalty i dont know what is!

As a side note, mrs henke has agreeed to calling our first son shay.  :thup:

Agreed on the given bashing an'arl. Hes played behind a defense consisting of 4 clowns for a decade, and he only considred leaving once, if thats not loyalty i dont know what is!

Well the club has been really loyal to him and treated him very well making sure he played every game for the last 7 years or so...Shay got what he wanted so it wasn't as if he had to force himself to stay...

You wanna what loyalty is ? Harper...

According to Opta Stats Harper's not doing too badly. This is from SkySports feature on who would make the England XI on form:

Goalkeeper Steve Harper (Newcastle United)

Harper has achieved an impressive 83 per cent saves-to-shots ratio in the Premier League so far this season and has a 100 per cent catch success rate. He has also managed to keep a clean sheet in two of his four games. It is worth noting, however, that if Kasper Schmeichel was the top-rated eligible player but the young keeper has already announced that he will play for Denmark.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11096_2712483,00.html

• 4 weeks later...