Daily Mail- Gufftastic

NG32

There are quotes. Seems a bit sensationalist either way.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_2709263,00.html

The 31-year-old goalkeeper no longer seems to be the regular number one choice on Tyneside after a recent spell on the sidelines and is preparing himself for showdown talks with the Toon boss.

"I'll have a chat with him. I'm not sure what his thinking is or whatever," Given said. "I've gone away with Ireland so I haven't had time to sit down with him, so I'll have to do that when I get back after these games.

"Obviously I've been out for a while with my groin and I played on Wednesday night (in the Carling Cup), so maybe he felt that it was better for me not to play on Saturday and put too much pressure on it.

"It's good to have competition in every position in the club, so if that's the case then I'll have to see what happens.

"It's hard to say what his thinking is for the future - I'm really just focusing on these games now. I'm excited about playing in two massive games and getting away, I suppose, from the club."

Given, from Donegal, will become Republic of Ireland's most capped goalkeeper should he play as expected against Slovakia on Saturday. He will surpass Packie Bonner's record of 80 appearances.

Hardly seems like he's wanting out or anything like that, though I would say it's a bit of a shame he can't just respect the fact that Harper is doing quite well for us at the moment and just get on with it. I'm sure the minute Harper makes a major error or suffers another ill-timed injury, Shay will be straight back in the team and won't get dislodged again unless he gets another injury himself.

"Showdown" might be too strong a way of putting, but don't people remember Shay slapping in a transfer request the last time Harper got the nod ahead of him when he was fit?

As far as I am concerned if Shay does want showdown talks after being dropped for one game then he isn't the man I thought he was.  He should fight for his place.

Don't believe it though.

I asked a theoretical question a while back saying pretty much how would folk feel if Sam replaced Given with Jussi.

I did ask because I thought if Sam got the job he would look for a keeper with a bit more presence between the sticks.

Did you see the Bolton Newcastle game?

How many transfer requests has he handed in in the past?

Given has been an excellent keeper for us but wanting to hold talks with the manager after being benched is not what I want to hear from him, add to that the fact he's become more injury prone over the past 12 months or so and I would be tempted to cash in on him if the right offer came along...

I know a lot of people have said that too much is being read into these quotes and that Shay doesn't deserve any criticism; however, being the senior pro that he is, should he not know that the media live off these kinds of quotes and twist them to their utmost.

Why would Given voluntarily talk to the media about the fact that he wants to speak to the manager regarding his place in the team? It's quite dissapointing, and it does come accross as though he is throwing the toys out of the pram.

He is clearly not very pleased which is fair enough, but to throw it out there instead of keeping it private is really poor.

I know a lot of people have said that too much is being read into these quotes and that Shay doesn't deserve any criticism; however, being the senior pro that he is, should he not know that the media live off these kinds of quotes and twist them to their utmost.

Why would Given voluntarily talk to the media about the fact that he wants to speak to the manager regarding his place in the team? It's quite dissapointing, and it does come accross as though he is throwing the toys out of the pram.

He is clearly not very pleased which is fair enough, but to throw it out there instead of keeping it private is really poor.

Spot on

"It's hard to say what his thinking is for the future - I'm really just focusing on these games now. I'm excited about playing in two massive games and getting away, I suppose, from the club."

Wanting to get away from the club doesnt really sound very good.  I do think he'll be back in the team, i assumed he didnt play v wigan because he's still not fit.  Sounds a bit huffy for such a small thing

Let's play a little game called 'pick your quote, make a story'.

SHAY GIVEN has told how happy is at the new-look Newcastle United.

The Irish international has been out of the team in recent weeks after niggling injuries and the good form of his long-term deputy for the Magpies, Steve Harper.

"I am very excited about it" said Given, who is set for a recall against Derby which will delight the Geordie faithful.

The stopper from Donegal, will become Republic of Ireland's most capped goalkeeper should he play as expected against Slovakia on Saturday. He will surpass Packie Bonner's record of 80 appearances.

:rolleyes:

SHAY GIVEN has told how unhappy is at the new-look Newcastle United.

The Irish international has been out of the team in recent weeks after niggling injuries and the good form of his long-term deputy for the Magpies, Steve Harper, and is really, really, really looking forward to confronting Sam Allardyce about it on his return from international duty.

"I am very excited about it" said Given.

The stopper from Donegal, will become Republic of Ireland's most capped goalkeeper should he play as expected against Slovakia on Saturday. He will surpass Packie Bonner's record of 80 appearances.