Women's World Cup

Dave

I've revised my opinion. Kelly Smith is the only woman on this pitch that can actually play football to a decent level.

Compared to what though?

I reckon you'd decided that before you started watching.

England are doing alright in general. They Need to be more composed in front of goal mind.

I've revised my opinion. Kelly Smith is the only woman on this pitch that can actually play football to a decent level.

Compared to what though?

England are doing alright in general. They Need to be more composed in front of goal mind.

I dunno. I don't want to knock it, really. Most of the general play was fine, but anywhere around the goal is just pathetic, tbh. Crossing, shooting, throughballs, defending are all of a very poor standard.

Compared to what though?

I dunno. I don't want to knock it, really. Most of the general play was fine, but anywhere around the goal is just pathetic, tbh. Crossing, shooting, throughballs, defending are all of a very poor standard.

Some of it has been especially from England. I think they have been getting nosebleeds in the Japanese final third. They are capable of better though.

I'm only going off this one match. I think it's the only one I've ever bothered watching. I'll be thinking 'This is OK', there's a nice build-up and then a cross will come in that's just woeful or someone will have a touch that's absolutely horrendous. And what was that Japan free-kick all about where they knelt down?

Got a bit better now.

Bit unlucky there. I think it's a concentration thing, as they all look decent enough but then fuck up inexplicably. Smith is a class above, tbh, the only player in this match that looks totally comfortable and composed on the ball.

There's definitely something slower about women's football. Not just the actual pace of the match but also the anticipation and decision-making. Some of these loose touches would have been punished in a men's game as the opposing player would be on it in a flash.