Club to sue Forum over "damaging" comments about Chairman

NSG

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/6994899.stm

Sheffield Wednesday is considering legal action against a website which contains messages from fans it considers to be "damaging" to the club.

Comments on the owlstalk.co.uk website have been critical of Wednesday's chairman and board of directors.

The club said on Friday: "A fan site has consistently been used as a forum for the posting of untrue and damaging statements about the club."

The website says the comments are the typical, harmless opinions of fans.

Sheffield Wednesday currently lie bottom of the Championship table, having lost all four of their games so far this season.

Neil Hargreaves, who runs the website, said he was only alerted to the club's objections when he received a letter from the club saying it was going to take legal action.

"I was terrified," he told BBC Radio Sheffield.

"Within 10 minutes I was on the site and removed every single one of the posts they were on about, whether I agreed they should be removed or not, just to appease the club.

"We completely disagree that they are defamatory and we are going to defend ourselves on that basis.

"Most of the comments that the club have made complaints about are typical fan-speak. It is the kind of comment you hear in pubs up and down the country and on phone-ins after a game."

In a statement, Sheffield Wednesday said: "The club's lawyers (K&L Gates) have written to the operator of that site regarding his involvement in the publication of those statements and asking for information about the individuals that have made those statements.

"We are considering the response from his lawyers and are taking advice on the appropriate action to be taken.

"The club expects and welcomes comment from its supporters, but when those comments include false and misleading allegations and accusations, the club will need to take action to protect its reputation and the reputation of its directors."

Just goes to show what influence a message board can have nowadays...

Not a very sensible move now is it.

The club suing its own fans. What will other fans of Sheffield Wednesday think? If I was a Sheff Wed fan i wouldn't be impressed I know that. The fans could turn their backs on the club and then where would the club be?

The club suing its own fans. What will other fans of Sheffield Wednesday think? If I was a Sheff Wed fan i wouldn't be impressed I know that. The fans could turn their backs on the club and then where would the club be?

come off it! if NUFC took this site to court would it cause a ripple in the majority of toon fans,then even if it did would it create enough to stop anyone going ?

come off it! if NUFC took this site to court would it cause a ripple in the majority of toon fans,then even if it did would it create enough to stop anyone going ?

Exactly. People think we're Hitlers and all that shit but if this site disappeared the only people inconvenienced would be those who use it. Quite a lot of people, but nothing would come of it.

We're a Premiership club with huge finances and worldwide support. Sheffield Wednesday aren't. Besides they play in a divided city. Alot of fans won't appreciate being sued by their own club, and I am sure as word gets round pressure would increase on the board. Those who have been sued may boycott games and the likes, I know it's quite extreme but it could backfire on the board completely.

We're a Premiership club with huge finances and worldwide support. Sheffield Wednesday aren't. Besides they play in a divided city. Alot of fans won't appreciate being sued by their own club, and I am sure as word gets round pressure would increase on the board. Those who have been sued may boycott games and the likes, I know it's quite extreme but it could backfire on the board completely.

like you say,pretty extreme but could..

A very risky strategy, to say the least. I can't see the potential benefit being that great either.

Whatever happened to free speech or the right to have an opinion?

This is supposed to be a free country and I find it pathetic that you can't voice your opinion over something like that - even if your opinion is wrong.

It really bugs me that some poor person will be getting sued over something he wrote in the heat of a moment or maybe something he wrote when he was drunk. :S

Whatever happened to free speech or the right to have an opinion?

This is supposed to be a free country and I find it pathetic that you can't voice your opinion over something like that - even if your opinion is wrong.

It really bugs me that some poor person will be getting sued over something he wrote in the heat of a moment or maybe something he wrote when he was drunk. :S

you can voice your opinion but not when you portray it as fact.

So, can I say something like "I THINK the chairman of shef wed is a petty idiot" and be ok, because i phrased it differently?

Disclaimer - I don't know the chairman of shef wed, and everything written in this post is some fiction - and other random nonsense to cover my own back

So, can I say something like "I THINK the chairman of shef wed is a petty idiot" and be ok, because i phrased it differently?

Disclaimer - I don't know the chairman of shef wed, and everything written in this post is some fiction - and other random nonsense to cover my own back

just about.

Sorry for the double post, but everything that you read on an internet forum should be automatically considered as opinion and not fact, no matter how it's portrayed. I guess this is just an unwritten rule though :p

Sorry for the double post, but everything that you read on an internet forum should be automatically considered as opinion and not fact, no matter how it's potrayed. I guess this is just an unwritten rule though :p

90% of what you read should on an internet forum should be considered crap,5% lies,2% wind up,1% reasoned opinion,1%fact,1%hilarity,1%error.

Sorry for the double post, but everything that you read on an internet forum should be automatically considered as opinion and not fact, no matter how it's potrayed. I guess this is just an unwritten rule though :p

90% of what you read should on an internet forum should be considered crap,5% lies,2% wind up,1% reasoned opinion,1%fact,1%hilarity,1%error.

That's 101% :razz:

Guest Toon Barmy

as the mods scour through the anti-fred posts

wouldn't be a problem here, as Wednesday are worried about "untrue statements". Shepherd would find it hard to argue that he was not a shit chairman.  Just get the judge to look at youtube and it's all there

lol how didn't you get that? THE SHAME! :p