Liverpool's amazing squad

stozo

Has their ever been a squad with as much strength in depth as Liverpool have this season. Today Kuyt, Riise, Aurellio and Mascherano all have not made the 16 and on Liverpool's bench is Gerrard, Torres, Hyypia and Babel.

Liverpool's team is too foreign, games like Pompy pass them by as the big names cant rise for the smaller occasions, and until they do, they'll never be title winners.

A much improved Liverpool on paper from last season, and for once a good start in terms of points on the board, but they've got a long way to go before people can say they've got a better team or squad than Manu, to say so is just laughable.

Leaving Gerrard & Torres on the bench for any game is just plain stupid.

Also a foreign coach who underrates the strength of the Premiership.

From what i saw of the game, Liverpool were lucky not to lose.

great squad, and a great manager, who does however have one major weakness - his manic focus on squad rotation.

rotation is great, but some sense of stability is also needed.

To be fair, Ferguson has done the same on certain occasions.

Certain occasions being the right. Rafa does it as the most incredible times. Portsmouth at home are no pushovers, many teams bigger than them (pompy) will be disappointed coming away from that fixture, not the time to rotate the squad.

I thought he'd realised this from the start of this season, strong team every game, but as soon as he starts messing about, an un needed draw, and it wasn't a case of them being unlucky, which has happened a lot to Fergie over the years, Liverpool were second best from what i saw, although i only caught about 55mins of the match.

Liverpool's team is too foreign, games like Pompy pass them by as the big names cant rise for the smaller occasions, and until they do, they'll never be title winners.

A much improved Liverpool on paper from last season, and for once a good start in terms of points on the board, but they've got a long way to go before people can say they've got a better team or squad than Manu, to say so is just laughable.

Bull. When Arsenal were in the middle of their unbeaten season, did you ever think their team was 'too foreign'?

Edit - Do you think Arsenal's table-topping side at this moment of time is 'too foreign'?

Nothing to do with being foreign, everything to do with being a manager of a team who'll be challenging for many trophies. As Nut said, Fergie's done this on a few occasions, so has Wenger and so has Mourinho. Absolutely nothing to do with being local or foreign.

Bull. When Arsenal were in the middle of their unbeaten season, did you ever think their team was 'too foreign'?

Edit - Do you think Arsenal's table-topping side at this moment of time is 'too foreign'?

Table topping?  mackems.gif

Come back and say that when its May.

bluelaugh.gif

Liverpool have a very good squad but I still don't think they're strong enough to win the title.  They're missing a bit of creative spark from wide areas imo.  Pennant is too inconsistent and I don't think they'll see the best of Babel for another season yet.

Man Utd will win the title.

It is a fact that they are top of the table, or is your 'dislike' (couldn't find a better term) for 'foreigners' blinding you to this fact as well?

Anyhow, when they end up finishing in the top 4 quite comfortably, will you think their team is 'too foreign'?

Wow, Wigan were once top this season as well, making your point invalid.

Top 4 for Arsenal? Shouldn't they be pushing on further than that? But thats not what is holding them back, a out and out striker and youth is currently stopping them mount a realistic title challenge.

For Liverpool its totally different or have you forgot that this is what this thread is about?

It is a fact that they are top of the table, or is your 'dislike' (couldn't find a better term) for 'foreigners' blinding you to this fact as well?

Anyhow, when they end up finishing in the top 4 quite comfortably, will you think their team is 'too foreign'?

Wow, Wigan were once top this season as well, making your point invalid.

Top 4 for Arsenal? Shouldn't they be pushing on further than that? But thats not what is holding them back, a out and out striker and youth is currently stopping them mount a realistic title challenge.

For Liverpool its totally different or have you forgot that this is what this thread is about?

So if Liverpool had a British/English manager, do you think that'll solve the problem?

Edit - that is what you're implying btw - that because Rafa is foreign he underrates the strength of the Premiership. I've pointed out examples of other managers (foreign and local) who do the same thing on occasion, which is evidence that's contrary to your statement. The reason Rafa rotates is player is not because he's foreign and underrates the strength of the Premiership, it's because he needs to rest his players because they're challenging for many trophies. Fergie, Mourinho and Wenger do the same thing and it should be obvious why.

Is it getting to be an offence now to mention the "foreign" word, or something? Nowt personal mate, but I think you've latched onto this single part of what TT has written and it's blinding you to the point he's really trying to make. He does have a point, you know.

Benitez has brought in a lot of players, most foreign. Some have probably never heard of Portsmouth. No matter that they think they're at 100%, it only takes that slight lowering of standard due to what they think (or don't think) of the opposition due to ignorance and they will fall flat. It happened today and it'll happen again for them and I hope it happens all the time, tbh.

It does take time for foreign players to make the adjustment and it's not just the pace of the game here, it's keeping on top of their game when they go to the so-called unfashionable places like Portsmouth, Wigan etc etc. They may think they are mentally right, but sometimes they are not.

Benitez's main priority has always been the Champions League and he's a far better cup manager than he is when it comes to league games.

No real shame in drawing away to Portsmouth, Man Utd couldn't beat them there either.