Liverpool's amazing squad

stozo

Liverpool's team is too foreign, games like Pompy pass them by as the big names cant rise for the smaller occasions, and until they do, they'll never be title winners.

A much improved Liverpool on paper from last season, and for once a good start in terms of points on the board, but they've got a long way to go before people can say they've got a better team or squad than Manu, to say so is just laughable.

Bull. When Arsenal were in the middle of their unbeaten season, did you ever think their team was 'too foreign'?

Edit - Do you think Arsenal's table-topping side at this moment of time is 'too foreign'?

Is it getting to be an offence now to mention the "foreign" word, or something? Nowt personal mate, but I think you've latched onto this single part of what TT has written and it's blinding you to the point he's really trying to make. He does have a point, you know.

Benitez has brought in a lot of players, most foreign. Some have probably never heard of Portsmouth. No matter that they think they're at 100%, it only takes that slight lowering of standard due to what they think (or don't think) of the opposition due to ignorance and they will fall flat. It happened today and it'll happen again for them and I hope it happens all the time, tbh.

It does take time for foreign players to make the adjustment and it's not just the pace of the game here, it's keeping on top of their game when they go to the so-called unfashionable places like Portsmouth, Wigan etc etc. They may think they are mentally right, but sometimes they are not.

That's very true HTL, but this is down to Benitez to solve this problem. Wenger does (and did) fine with his French players. It's not 'foreign' that's the problem, it's the ability to motivate these players.

I don't think TT is trying to make the same point you are though, he's implying just because Rafa is foreign he underrates the Premiership, and I disagree with that because there have been many other foreign managers who have been successful in England.

I think Liverpool will be title contenders this season, they ought to be, having spent a fortune to improve an already top squad.

0-0 at Pompey is not such a bad result. They tend to give the big teams a game at their place. If you want to win the title though, you have to consider that as 2 points dropped.

I'd say Chelsea have a better squad. As for Man Utd, time will tell, but there's no doubt that Liverpool have closed the gap with their massive spending this summer.

Liverpool's team is too foreign, games like Pompy pass them by as the big names cant rise for the smaller occasions, and until they do, they'll never be title winners.

A much improved Liverpool on paper from last season, and for once a good start in terms of points on the board, but they've got a long way to go before people can say they've got a better team or squad than Manu, to say so is just laughable.

Bull. When Arsenal were in the middle of their unbeaten season, did you ever think their team was 'too foreign'?

Edit - Do you think Arsenal's table-topping side at this moment of time is 'too foreign'?

Is it getting to be an offence now to mention the "foreign" word, or something? Nowt personal mate, but I think you've latched onto this single part of what TT has written and it's blinding you to the point he's really trying to make. He does have a point, you know.

Benitez has brought in a lot of players, most foreign. Some have probably never heard of Portsmouth. No matter that they think they're at 100%, it only takes that slight lowering of standard due to what they think (or don't think) of the opposition due to ignorance and they will fall flat. It happened today and it'll happen again for them and I hope it happens all the time, tbh.

It does take time for foreign players to make the adjustment and it's not just the pace of the game here, it's keeping on top of their game when they go to the so-called unfashionable places like Portsmouth, Wigan etc etc. They may think they are mentally right, but sometimes they are not.

That's very true HTL, but this is down to Benitez to solve this problem. Wenger does (and did) fine with his French players. It's not 'foreign' that's the problem, it's the ability to motivate these players.

I don't think TT is trying to make the same point you are though, he's implying just because Rafa is foreign he underrates the Premiership, and I disagree with that because there have been many other foreign managers who have been successful in England.

'games like Pompy pass them by as the big names cant rise for the smaller occasions'

Did you miss that part in your mad blindness because you were so hell bent on having a pop as i mentioned the word foreign?

You really are just arguing for arguing sake, and looking very stupid in the process, well done.  :thup:

Guest Knightrider

They do have a very good squad but I don't see many workable options and they out of all the big sides will rely on their star players more than most. They also lack match winners for me, only Torres and Gerrard are what you could call true match winners. Man Utd have a number of them as do Chelsea and Arsenal. I think we may even have more match winners in our side than Liverpool do. Strong quad undoubtedly, but they lack real class wide and up front in terms of options, centrally they have too many similar players as well. They'll be up there but won't win it in my opinion. Oh and a draw at Pompey is no mean feat, they're a very good side and Harry has them well drilled.

I wasn't having a pop, your logic is just flawed.

So I ask again, and hopefully this time you'll answer, was Arsenal's unbeaten team 'too foreign'?

Arsenal's unbeaten team consisted of a some magical players, who had spent many years in the EPL plying their trade, alongside some good British talent. Why is it that Henry is held in such high regards at Pompy? Because he went 150% at them and murdered them, a promoted team, shite ground, easy win, but he never let up. Can't see Torres being that player, not yet anyway. Alonso compared to Veiria?!?! You see what i'm getting at. Its the mentality as much as the nationality, but i guess you are not getting that and only see what i'm saying in one dimension, or face value. Garcia was a prime example of the problems Liverpool were having with the league, i thought Rafa was wising up, but he's still not got it right for me, and wont with the squad he currently has, and its a shame as his two best players, English incidentally, are about to peak, and he needs to use that peak if not he's failed.

Liverpool are full of players who'd best games are coming on the continent, an or have just come to the league, that's why i said they are too foreign.

Ok, fair comment.

Torres looks top class, will be the premierships player of the year

Looks like he can create anything out of nothing and will score lots of goals, Liverpool to win the league imo

Nah. Owen will be the PL player of the year if he stays fit and plays enough matches.

I recall a time, not so many years ago, when commentaters and pundits alike enthused about the amount of quality on Newcastles bench.

Harper, Duff, Butt, Faye, Martins

Not a bad bench when all are fit. Probably missed someone obvious aswell. That would also have left Smith, Taylor, Ameobi and Emre completely out of the 16.

I recall a time, not so many years ago, when commentaters and pundits alike enthused about the amount of quality on Newcastles bench.

Not a bad bench when all are fit. Probably missed someone obvious aswell. That would also have left Smith, Taylor, Ameobi and Emre completely out of the 16.

Was thinking along similar lines myself, putting on one side differing opinions on the best starting XI. When they're all fit, FS is putting together a tidy looking squad, there will be some who think they should be in the team who won't even get on the bench. We're moving forward.

Has their ever been a squad with as much strength in depth as Liverpool have this season. Today Kuyt, Riise, Aurellio and Mascherano all have not made the 16 and on Liverpool's bench is Gerrard, Torres, Hyypia and Babel.

How does leaving there best players out of the team and almost losing against Portsmouth as a result mean that they have a great squad?...  :undecided:

Was thinking along similar lines myself, putting on one side differing opinions on the best starting XI. When they're all fit, FS is putting together a tidy looking squad, there will be some who think they should be in the team who won't even get on the bench. We're moving forward.

There is a massive difference even from last season. Good signs.

Portsmouth have 6 pts from 6 games, not too good a return some might say but they have played last seasons top four once already. They're going to be pushing Liverpool for one of the Euro spots (along with us with a bit of luck) imo.

They have played Chelsea,Man.U,Arsenal and Liverpool.

Portsmouth have 6 pts from 6 games, not too good a return some might say but they have played last seasons top four once already. They're going to be pushing Liverpool for one of the Euro spots (along with us with a bit of luck) imo.

They have played Chelsea,Man.U,Arsenal and Liverpool.

And picked up just 2 points from those 4 games, not fantastic by any stretch.

I'm not saying they won't have a decent season, but their other 4 points from a win at home to Bolton and a point away to Derby are nowt spectacular really. I'd like to think we'll pick up more than 6 points from those equivalent 6 matches when the dust has settled on the season.

Guest I wandered lonely.

http://img116.exs.cx/img116/1231/z7shysterical.gif

Haha, Allardyce's article has cheered me right up. What a load of xenophobic drivel from a man who has yet to win any major honours in his home league and country. How does he know what it takes to win titles.

So by his logic, the only reason Rafa, that nasty foreigner taking all our jobs, hasn't won the league is because he doesn't take it seriously? It has nothing to do with having to build a new squad and trying to compete with a Chelsea side that has spent over 600 million in 3 or 4 seasons. What a load of crap. Before Rafa came we wasn't even considered challengers.

There's obvious tension between the two after what's gone on in the past, but he's made himself look ridiculous with this obvious attack, the fat headed, bung taking prick.