Look out! little mickey's back just in time for England! Will he return fit?

Guest NUFC4
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I cant help feeling this whole shebang has been given legs by the amount of flipping boo boys at St James these days. We were drawing 1-1 versus a side who comfortably finished above us last season and Allardyce decided correctly to sub the ineffective (on the day) Martins for Owen. Cue uproar at the perceived lack of "going for the jugular" by the manager. When did our home crowd take on this ridiculous bunch of pantomime goers, booing everyt time a result doesnt go their way or a substitution is questioned. Its nothing short of pathetic and embarassing, Owen clearly interpreted the boos as being for him, hence his rather muted goal celebration.

One bloke up along my row, stomped off after 75 minutes saying it was shite and he was going for a pint. Dont come back in a hurry and that applies to the rest of the cringe inducing booers.

Indeed.

There was none of that where I was like, I was totally bemused at hearing boos and I genuinely didn't have a clue what they were for. I was just chuffed to see the introduction of two class players who can make a difference in a tight game, which is exactly what the pair of them did - I fail completely to see how that change didn't constitute "going for the jugular", but I fully believe some people probably did think that.

Fucking dense some of our lot.

I cant help feeling this whole shebang has been given legs by the amount of flipping boo boys at St James these days. We were drawing 1-1 versus a side who comfortably finished above us last season and Allardyce decided correctly to sub the ineffective (on the day) Martins for Owen. Cue uproar at the perceived lack of "going for the jugular" by the manager. When did our home crowd take on this ridiculous bunch of pantomime goers, booing everyt time a result doesnt go their way or a substitution is questioned. Its nothing short of pathetic and embarassing, Owen clearly interpreted the boos as being for him, hence his rather muted goal celebration.

One bloke up along my row, stomped off after 75 minutes saying it was s**** and he was going for a pint. Dont come back in a hurry and that applies to the rest of the cringe inducing booers.

Indeed.

There was none of that where I was like, I was totally bemused at hearing boos and I genuinely didn't have a clue what they were for. I was just chuffed to see the introduction of two class players who can make a difference in a tight game, which is exactly what the pair of them did - I fail completely to see how that change didn't constitute "going for the jugular", but I fully believe some people probably did think that.

f****** dense some of our lot.

Was the booing coming from the Everton fans, as a few who were at the match have said? If so, maybe it was aimed at Emre after the racism allegations?

something in the sun now/tomorrow about sven wanting him for £15 million.

Snap their hands off.

Although theyd be fucking lethal if they kept him fit. Owen with Elano playing just off him. The "if" part is why we should sell though.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

The Sun - Today

SVEN-GORAN ERIKSSON will plead with his board to sign Michael Owen in January.

The Newcastle striker has been rowing with boss Sam Allardyce about whether he is fit to play two games for England in four days after recent operations.

Manchester City manager Eriksson hopes to capitalise on the unrest with a bid but Owen’s fee could be a whopping £15million plus £110,000-a-week wages.

That could be too much cash for former England boss Eriksson, even though he has been told by owner Thaksin Shinawatra there will be cash available in January.

Owen, 27, has failed to settle on Tyneside and the fans have never truly taken to him.

They feel he would have rather returned to Liverpool or signed with another big English club when he joined Toon for £16m from Real Madrid in 2005.

But Newcastle were the only ones prepared to take the gamble.

The perception in the North East is Owen loves his country more than his club, having made just 17 starts for the Geordies.

Owen was also slow to pledge his commitment to Newcastle when it was revealed he could leave last summer due to an £11m get-out clause in his contract — which has since expired.

He was booed when he came on in the 3-2 win over Everton last weekend — and cocked an ear towards the fans when he scored.

A move to City may not be his ideal choice but Manchester United refused the chance to sign him in the summer.

United are unlikely to change their minds — and the same goes for Liverpool.

During his time as England boss, Eriksson told a fake sheik in a newspaper sting that Owen was not happy at Toon. But both men will forget the matter if it suits their purposes.

If the hitman moves to City, Allardyce will raid former club Bolton for Nicolas Anelka.

The Sun - Today

The Newcastle striker has been rowing with boss Sam Allardyce about whether he is fit to play two games for England in four days after recent operations.

Manchester City manager Eriksson hopes to capitalise on the unrest with a bid but Owen’s fee could be a whopping £15million plus £110,000-a-week wages.

That could be too much cash for former England boss Eriksson, even though he has been told by owner Thaksin Shinawatra there will be cash available in January.

Owen, 27, has failed to settle on Tyneside and the fans have never truly taken to him.

They feel he would have rather returned to Liverpool or signed with another big English club when he joined Toon for £16m from Real Madrid in 2005.

The perception in the North East is Owen loves his country more than his club, having made just 17 starts for the Geordies.

Owen was also slow to pledge his commitment to Newcastle when it was revealed he could leave last summer due to an £11m get-out clause in his contract — which has since expired.

He was booed when he came on in the 3-2 win over Everton last weekend — and cocked an ear towards the fans when he scored.

A move to City may not be his ideal choice but Manchester United refused the chance to sign him in the summer.

United are unlikely to change their minds — and the same goes for Liverpool.

During his time as England boss, Eriksson told a fake sheik in a newspaper sting that Owen was not happy at Toon. But both men will forget the matter if it suits their purposes.

If the hitman moves to City, Allardyce will raid former club Bolton for Nicolas Anelka.

This is quite likely to happen now - Anelka is a good player and I would have him in preference to Ameobi or even Martins; but NOT Owen if he stays fit and look what happened with Woodgate - hardly played whilst with us , but hasn't missed many for Boro...

If Owen moves to City, he will come back and stuff the boos right back down the ignorant throats of the plebs who made them but the only trouble is that even decent fans have to be on the end of the same humiliation.

Guest Ridzuan

Owen to Man City...Hm,I doubt that will happen unless something really bad happens between Big Sam and Owen.Furthermore,Man City is full of good players already at the club,therefore,I dont think that he will be trying to go for Owen.But you never,Thaksin got a lot of money and it might just happen,though I hope it will not.

Owen isnt leaving us in January, maybe in the summer but he could sign a new deal.

He said on SSN on Wednesday that the rumours of a rift with Sam were rubbish. Also maybe he thought he was being booed but a few boos in one game wont make him suddenly want to move away from the club.

Guest johnson293

The Sun - Today

Manchester City manager Eriksson hopes to capitalise on the unrest with a bid but Owens fee could be a whopping £15million plus £110,000-a-week wages.

Owen was also slow to pledge his commitment to Newcastle when it was revealed he could leave last summer due to an £11m get-out clause in his contract which has since expired.

He was booed when he came on in the 3-2 win over Everton last weekend and cocked an ear towards the fans when he scored.

United are unlikely to change their minds and the same goes for Liverpool.

Interesting that the same paper has quoted sources as claiming that Owen never forgets whats said about him, like when Allardyce has questioned him int he past, but suddenly, he'll just forget about what Sven said to the Fake Sheik about him??

Anyway, not convinced anyone would pay £15 for him + his wages, but if Sven is daft enough to, then I think it may be time to draw a line under the last 2 and a bit years and move on.

Almost all of the transfer fee we paid for him back is perhaps too good to refuse?

I hope he stays in January like. I'd prefer to have him here injured than have him fully fit, playing against us. :p

I do think Owen is a great player, I have said 'I hope he doesn't keep Martins out of the team for too long'  in the past, but that doesn't mean I want him to go elsewhere.

This news about him every day is getting really tiring, and it's looking increasingly likely that he will go. I think I'm just going to ignore any news/forum post with the name "Owen" in the title, and just wait to see what happens. :)

I'm still 50/50 on him, the money would be nice, but you can't better a team by selling it's 'true' world class striker.

I feel the same way. But with each passing injury, it looks more and more like clutching at straws. We're in a difficult predicament, if we take the money then we must spend it well, and it's worth remembering that £15M doesn't go very far on a striker. We won't get someone of his individual class, but we might get one or even two players who strengthen the team and will help us to pick up points week-in, week-out.

I'm still 50/50 on him, the money would be nice, but you can't better a team by selling it's 'true' world class striker.

I feel the same way. But with each passing injury, it looks more and more like clutching at straws. We're in a difficult predicament, if we take the money then we must spend it well, and it's worth remembering that £15M doesn't go very far on a striker. We won't get someone of his individual class, but we might get one or even two players who strengthen the team and will help us to pick up points week-in, week-out.

£10m towards Anelka, or even less if Bolton are still rooted to the bottom in January, and £5m towards the fund for a right-sided attacker. Owen is a fantastic player but he's not worth £15m (plus reports of £105,000 a week wages) to us, simply because of how rarely he plays. though selling him would make me nervous, not cos we'd be losing him but because i fear we would spend the money badly.

Guest Sniffer

Although I don't like sven overmuch, he's not a fool. He knows Owen inside out and realizes what he brings to the table. Personally, I hope he goes and is a huge success because he's too good a player to play with the grunts we have at the Toon. Fat sam reminds me of Gordon Lee as a man without any imagination or any desire for flair or creativity in a team.

15 mill will buy a lot of grunts at 2 mill a piece.

Just so people are aware...

Anelka has scored 94 goals in 250 games in the league.

Owen has scored 140 goals in 229 games in the league.

would you rather have Owen for a dozen games a season, or Anelka for 40 games?

Guest Knightrider
I hope he goes and is a huge success because he's too good a player to play with the grunts we have at the Toon.

Have some fucking pride in your team and club man. Pathetic attitude.

I hope he goes and is a huge success because he's too good a player to play with the grunts we have at the Toon.

Have some fucking pride in your team and club man. Pathetic attitude.

I don't especially agree with Sniffer, but i'd probably pin that label on those who want rid of the only world class player we've signed since Shearer '96.

As good as Owen is he has never scored 20 goals in a season in his whole career. Even at his very best he still got injured regularly enough to not achieve the 20 goals. Not very encouraging is it?!

If we were offered £15 million I cannot for the life of me see how we could possibly turn that down. Big Sam built Bolton teams that got him fifth place with no star players. I would be more than happy for him to spend that money on strengthening the squad.

Just so people are aware...

Anelka has scored 94 goals in 250 games in the league.

Owen has scored 140 goals in 229 games in the league.

would you rather have Owen for a dozen games a season, or Anelka for 40 games?

Owen would still probably score more. :razz: