Damage Derby mess has done ?

Guest Phil K

Guest Knightrider

Much better performance as a team and as individuals today against much better opposition. This will become the standard, interspersed by a few really classy performances and the odd "what happened there" type games. I.e. top 6 type performances. In time of course.

Guest Knightrider

Ironically Big Sam was tougher on his players today in his post-match reaction than he was after Derby, despite playing much better and winning. What does that say? Don't take what he says post-match too seriously, or rather don't try and read too much into things and base things on what are quotes. Actions speak louder than words and all that.

Derby was 3 points dropped no matter which way you look at it. The football today was much better but I hope to god we don't give such shite teams so much respect from now on. Big Sam's claim that a point would have been a good result still rankles, and I think he knows he shouldn't have said it. Teams like Derby should be steamrollered at home and beaten away. A point would be disappointing, an unlucky defeat annoying but accepted through gritted teeth. But to lose and look crap is not good enough. Those points will be hard to make up.

Still no point in looking back, let's hope we learned and move on.

Derby was 3 points dropped no matter which way you look at it. The football today was much better but I hope to god we don't give such s**** teams so much respect from now on. Big Sam's claim that a point would have been a good result still rankles, and I think he knows he shouldn't have said it. Teams like Derby should be steamrollered at home and beaten away. A point would be disappointing, an unlucky defeat annoying but accepted through gritted teeth. But to lose and look crap is not good enough. Those points will be hard to make up.

Big TRon you can say what you want as you always be the coolest person on this beat with that picture of Bender.

Derby was 3 points dropped no matter which way you look at it. The football today was much better but I hope to god we don't give such shite teams so much respect from now on. Big Sam's claim that a point would have been a good result still rankles, and I think he knows he shouldn't have said it. Teams like Derby should be steamrollered at home and beaten away. A point would be disappointing, an unlucky defeat annoying but accepted through gritted teeth. But to lose and look crap is not good enough. Those points will be hard to make up.

It's arrogant shite like this that I normally associate with fans of the likes of spurs and which gives a club a bad reputation.

It's arrogant shite like this that I normally associate with fans of the likes of spurs and which gives a club a bad reputation.

What's arrogant about it? Derby are getting steamrollered if you hadn't noticed, and if we aren't good enough to do that, at least a battling point should have been the minimum. If you read the rest of what I said, in fact I even allowed for an unlucky defeat. If that's arrogance then pardon me for being arrogant.

What's arrogant about it? Derby are getting steamrollered if you hadn't noticed, and if we aren't good enough to do that, at least a battling point should have been the minimum. If you read the rest of what I said, in fact I even allowed for an unlucky defeat. If that's arrogance then pardon me for being arrogant.

It is and I won't. Believing there is some kind of formality in beating another PL team is absolutely the type of stuff I expect from the likes of spurs supporters, not Newcastle supporters.

Guest Knightrider

Do you except though that all teams have one or two Derby like performances, and therefore we should wait and judge when it is more clear as to what kind of team we become? I mean the way some have went on over that defeat you'd think we'd played like that every game and lost every game and that we are always going to play like that when it is quite clearly we won't be.

Liverpool fans are saying they should steamroller sides like Birmingham at home, Man Utd fans said they should be doing the same to sides like sunderland. Every team has an off day. We had one. There will be more. What is important is in between, how we do in between those games. 5 games in is far too early to start panicking just because we had an off day.

t is and I won't. Believing there is some kind of formality in beating another PL team is absolutely the type of stuff I expect from the likes of spurs supporters, not Newcastle supporters.

In the interview before the match against West Ham, Sam Allardyce was saying that the Derby game was a match we should have won as well. He must be a Spurs fan then.

Guest Knightrider

I agree with HTL too, kind of arrogant to expect an average side like we are after years of mediocrity with a new manager and new team to be steamrollering anyone after just 5 games in charge. If you're Man Utd you have a right to expect such wins against your Derbys but anyone who expects us to is deluded and being unfair in my opinion. I myself expected a draw against Derby and would have considered it a decent point. In a few years time when we have overcome the mediocrity and improved greatly (i.e. become very good team), then maybe we can consider such games as dead certs. Until then, we have to be more realistic. I'm just glad we have a realistic manager in charge.

Do you except though that all teams have one or two Derby like performances, and therefore we should wait and judge when it is more clear as to what kind of team we become? I mean the way some have went on over that defeat you'd think we'd played like that every game and lost every game and that we are always going to play like that when it is quite clearly we won't be.

Liverpool fans are saying they should steamroller sides like Birmingham at home, Man Utd fans said they should be doing the same to sides like sunderland. Every team has an off day. We had one. There will be more. What is important is in between, how we do in between those games. 5 games in is far too early to start panicking just because we had an off day.

I agree, but then did you hear me calling for the manager's head? Allardyce should be given time, but the way we set our stall out against Derby was so appalling, you would be hard pushed to find normal Newcastle fans accepting of it. If it was just one match, I would be just as scathing as you of the critics, but some of our line ups have been bewildering this season.

In any case, I noticed a lot more emphasis on passing in this match and less resorting to the big hoof forward. I thought most of the players looked much better as a result, the likes of Viduka, Butt and Geremi especially. I thought we played to our strengths today, I'm not sure we've been doing that in previous matches. But like you said, it's early days.

t is and I won't. Believing there is some kind of formality in beating another PL team is absolutely the type of stuff I expect from the likes of spurs supporters, not Newcastle supporters.

In the interview before the match against West Ham, Sam Allardyce was saying that the Derby game was a match we should have won as well. He must be a Spurs fan then.

Nothing wrong with expecting to win but staying we should steam roll them is pretty arrogant.

Soumess said it best when he was talking about managing Newcastle 

It's like working in a Latin country in many ways
I took that as compliment.

It is what makes our club different & unique in that we don't do grey areas, it is either black or white.

Guest Knightrider

Soumess said it best when he was talking about managing Newcastle 

It's like working in a Latin country in many ways
I took that as compliment.

It is what makes our club different & unique in that we don't do grey areas, it is either black or white.

True and any good manager will tap into that and turn it into an advantage like KK did and to a degree SBR. Can Big Sam? Well he certainly has the balls and seems to be intent on communicating with fans and speaking our language if you like, save a few post match comments at Derby :D

Guest BigSamsBarmyArmy

I was glad to see that the confidence hasn't been that badly damaged - Judging by the West Ham game. Don't care about the Carling Cup

I personally think we have been "ok" this season, managed to put 8 pts on the board and still waiting for players to come back, which in turn will allow other players in the team to move to their correct playing position.

The Derby game was MUCK of the highest order but Newcastle have played muck games before and will play muck games in the future.

What I have seen so far, is better than what we had last season.   We have players to come back and the team has yet to get used to playing with each other.

Has any team been playing well so far this season?

not many teams challenging for europe have lost against derby....and deserved to lose..

this game has really done some damage to Big sams credibility as a manager; some newcastle fans i know who have been raving about sam's appointment are now calling him another "stupid shepherd appointment" (here comes Ne5)...

i personally wouldn't go that far, but our performance was disgraceful and we seriously need to get it together if we don't want to end up as middlesbrough-esque midtable side

Basically, it doesn't really say much for your mates does it ? Make your opinion and stick to it, until the time comes to admit that you are wrong. They must be the same sort of people who were quite happy - very happy in fact - with the appointments of Gullit and Dalglish, but now say they weren't.

Derby was 3 points dropped no matter which way you look at it. The football today was much better but I hope to god we don't give such s**** teams so much respect from now on. Big Sam's claim that a point would have been a good result still rankles, and I think he knows he shouldn't have said it. Teams like Derby should be steamrollered at home and beaten away. A point would be disappointing, an unlucky defeat annoying but accepted through gritted teeth. But to lose and look crap is not good enough. Those points will be hard to make up.

It's arrogant s**** like this that I normally associate with fans of the likes of spurs and which gives a club a bad reputation.

It is and I won't. Believing there is some kind of formality in beating another PL team is absolutely the type of stuff I expect from the likes of spurs supporters, not Newcastle supporters.

I suspect Arsenal fans and indeed Arsene Wenger believe they should steamroll Derby at home and beat them away. Mind you, Arsenal have kept the same manager for the last ten years and let him get on with his business. Certainly we should be looking to beat weaker teams like them away. If you don't believe we shouldn't then I look forward to your reasoning behind that one.

Nb: It's certainly not the type of stuff that gets teams a fans a particularly bad name. That is usually violence and racism. You ever been accused of either? Guilty of either? If not then you have little to worry about. Off to pub. Enjoy your night.

when we had a shite board, we used to say things like that about clubs like Southend

The fact is some of us are very unrealistic and often dream the world. Do you honestly think we have enough quality to steamroll Derby as like Arsenal and Liverpool? No wonder we are a laughing stock to the football world.