People who dislike football...

Guest firetotheworks

Guest firetotheworks

Is it just me or do people who vocally dislike football get right on your tits? Fair enough if you dont follow football and have no interest in it, but to have an opinion about it  when you know little about it really pisses me off. Today at work there have been a few examples. This guy next to me was on a call to someone who must have asked him about football. The guy asked who the customer supported and then said 'Ah right, Muppet United are playing tomorrow...thats Newcastle United...ah I dont really follow football' as I sat next to him biting my knuckles. Someone else suggested that the womens football is better than the mens because 'mens football is full of primadonas'...He knows f*** all about football, so why when theres the same sport available, except its less popular does he suggest its better? Different for differents sake surely? Someone also suggested that footballers should 'get a real job'......when that was uttered I was so stifled by their stupidity that I just went 'pah!' and then just kept gasping for 20 seconds. Does anyone else have any examples of these vociferous know it alls?

The way a lot of them act on the pitch makes it pretty hard to defend football at times though.

I can understand the annoyance some people have about football though. It's not really a case of "If you don't like it ignore it, or don't bother saying anything" because it's on all the time (pretty much every day of the week now) and is talked about all the time.

Even moreso in a city like Newcastle! Having lived there for a short while, it must be daily murder if you don't like the game :lol:

I'm just glad I do like football.

If people have legitimate criticisms of the game then thats fine. For example a lot of girls i know don't like how obsessed people get by it, which is acceptable because they see people in pubs etc going mental at the tv. What pisses me off is when some idiots start saying "footballers are paid too much" and "the players are all primadonnas" when they know nothing about the finances of the game or anything about who the players are.

Is it just me or do people who vocally dislike football get right on your tits? Fair enough if you dont follow football and have no interest in it, but to have an opinion about it  when you know little about it really pisses me off. Today at work there have been a few examples. This guy next to me was on a call to someone who must have asked him about football. The guy asked who the customer supported and then said 'Ah right, Muppet United are playing tomorrow...thats Newcastle United...ah I dont really follow football' as I sat next to him biting my knuckles. Someone else suggested that the womens football is better than the mens because 'mens football is full of primadonas'...He knows f*** all about football, so why when theres the same sport available, except its less popular does he suggest its better? Different for differents sake surely? Someone also suggested that footballers should 'get a real job'......when that was uttered I was so stifled by their stupidity that I just went 'pah!' and then just kept gasping for 20 seconds. Does anyone else have any examples of these vociferous know it alls?

Try being a fan in the States. Wait, don't. You'd lose your shit.

Guest firetotheworks

I dont mind people saying that they're paid too much or whatever insult or dislike of football they have. Living in Newcastle and not liking football must be like being in hell and not liking fire. Its when they start commenting on Newcastle and them being 'hopeless' or 'terrible' or 'muppet united' etc without them having any interest or watching any matchs.

Try being a fan in the States. Wait, don't. You'd lose your shit.

i feel sorry for you.. when i visited a family friend (a brit) who lives in queens, i hated those pricks who interrupted (his yankydoodle friends) saying "its called soccer", real football is more of a man's game

um.. no it fucking isn't, we invented the sport so we can call it what we want- do we call basketball spamalamdingdong. and yeah american football is a man's game ffs, those guys are more padded up then their illiterate soldiers. 

:lol: needless to say things got violent

As I've gotten more and more interested in your football, I've been calling it football more and more. It's pretty much involuntary, but I catch hell for that.

I remember when Birmingham beat Newcastle in the FA cup, I had to go to work immediately afterwards. Being pissed off and not being able to talk about it with anyone without a long ass "Ok, first you have to understand that Birmingham are from the Championship" "What's that?" "Ok...over there they have several tiers of play..." etc etc was very frustrating.

Guest firetotheworks

Try being a fan in the States. Wait, don't. You'd lose your s***.

i feel sorry for you.. when i visited a family friend (a brit) who lives in queens, i hated those pricks who interrupted (his yankydoodle friends) saying "its called soccer", real football is more of a man's game

um.. no it f****** isn't, we invented the sport so we can call it what we want- do we call basketball spamalamdingdong. and yeah american football is a man's game ffs, those guys are more padded up then their illiterate soldiers. 

Ah that would prrrrrroper grind my gears that like. I would have brought up the whole 'world series' thing with baseball to see how they'd justify naming it that. American football might be tougher than football, but its hardly tougher than rugby.

Guest firetotheworks

As I've gotten more and more interested in your football, I've been calling it football more and more. It's pretty much involuntary, but I catch hell for that.

I remember when Birmingham beat Newcastle in the FA cup, I had to go to work immediately afterwards. Being pissed off and not being able to talk about it with anyone without a long ass "Ok, first you have to understand that Birmingham are from the Championship" "What's that?" "Ok...over there they have several tiers of play..." etc etc was very frustrating.

See I think that would be cool if it was obvious that they were genuinly interested. If it was just to humour you though I can imagine it getting frustrating. What do you think would happen if FIFA was run by America?

Try being a fan in the States. Wait, don't. You'd lose your s***.

um.. no it f****** isn't, we invented the sport so we can call it what we want- do we call basketball spamalamdingdong. and yeah american football is a man's game ffs, those guys are more padded up then their illiterate soldiers. 

Ah that would prrrrrroper grind my gears that like. I would have brought up the whole 'world series' thing with baseball to see how they'd justify naming it that. American football might be tougher than football, but its hardly tougher than rugby.

i remeber saying stuff like "just because you americans are too impatient and stupid to sit through a 90 minute game without seeing a 50-55 scoreline, doesnt make it boring.. u fat shit"

and it pissed me right off when they called it a "pansy sport" and that it takes less skill to "hoof a ball down the field" than to "pick out a runningback with a pin-point throw"... i fucking exploded    (btw i'm not joking when i said it got violent, we actually came to blows  until friends split us up.. now that passion :laugh: )

See I think that would be cool if it was obvious that they were genuinly interested. If it was just to humour you though I can imagine it getting frustrating. What do you think would happen if FIFA was run by America?

Nah, if someone is genuinely interested, I'll spend the entire day telling them everything I've learned so far. But after that Birmingham game, I just wanted to talk about how terrible the performance was. See, without using a lot of USA equivalents, that was going to be impossible.

I honestly don't even know what FIFA does, so I have no idea what would happen if we ran it.

There would be cheerleaders and commercials within days, though.

Guest firetotheworks

Those Budweiser ads were funny.

Thats the answer I already had in mind. I wonder just how true they would be. The monster trucks was the one that had me creased.

Id have one reply to all of their points made.

'Well, the rest of the world disagrees with you'

made that point.. you see america doesn't care, they have their own silly shit going on and don't give a damn about "everyone else"

love them american shows though

Guest firetotheworks

Being a NUFC fan, I dearly wish I hated football. Honestly.

The sweet isnt nearly as sweet without the sour. Hopefully the sweet will happen in my lifetime.

The thing that pisses me off the most about those who dislike football is the wage issue. Stop fucking arguing that footballers get paid too much for "kicking a ball around" - musicians get millions for plucking a few strings on a guitar, actors get even more by rehearsing a few lines with added facial expressions, and even models like Kate Moss for example get rich purely for looking "good", and yet the anti-football lot dont seem to mind enjoying their music, movies, books or art despite these people getting tons more than they deserve.

The thing that pisses me off the most about those who dislike football is the wage issue. Stop fucking arguing that footballers get paid too much for "kicking a ball around" - musicians get millions for plucking a few strings on a guitar, actors get even more by rehearsing a few lines with added facial expressions, and even models like Kate Moss for example get rich purely for looking "good", and yet the anti-football lot dont seem to mind enjoying their music, movies, books or art despite these people getting tons more than they deserve.

Basic economics really.

you see the demand for football in england is very very high and the supply of class footballers in the labour market is very low. Draw a simple demand and supply chart to reinforce the point.

Guest firetotheworks

I think thats due to footballers being paid rediculous amounts for something that isnt academic. With the exception of Models and some musicians the other fields are academic. Whether you want to call football art is up for debate. I think aside from Zidane and Maradona it isnt.