Ashley pays off further £45m of debt, Mort says club could well have folded

eggybread

I'd say that future income made the business fundamentally sound, its a question of how you look at the present.

What future income? TV revenue that all clubs would get? Decreasing ST sales. Decreasing sponsorship revenue? More managerial compensation payouts and loses in the transfer market? More dry cow milking? More dodgy deals? The future income that had already been spent? Club was heading towards financial meltdown and the only way we'd have turned it around is if we qualified for the CL every season. But to get there would have required more rolls of the financial dice, ala a Boom or Bust operation that existed at Leeds. Our future income was loan based.

Oh and there is a very good reason why that fat cunt didn't get any compo or made any noises about being sacked/bought out. Lets just say MA and CM has something on the Shepherds...

We were on very thin ice under those lot, financially and on the pitch. Ashley has wiped out their financial mismanagement and today we are now financially secure and can look ahead to a more optimistic future on and off the pitch, a stable one that doesn't require CL revenue to keep us afloat (ala Leeds) or more bank loans ala the Shepherds.

Well as Matt agrees and he works in the city, i'll go with that opinion rather than the Che Guevara of Scotswood.

Guest Knightrider

The future income of promoted clubs to the Premiership makes their business model fundamentally sound but when reality bites and they get relegated you just have to look at the number of ex-Prem clubs now in financial trouble to realise that the projected future income in football model is a risky model to base your business on, much less the actual football team. Anything can happen in football and the financial health of a club rests on what happens or doesn't happen out on the pitch more often than not. See that future income, goes out the window when you drop a league or where NUFC are concerned, becomes a running concern when you are as mismanaged as we were. Again, what future income...

If that is "the City" consensus where NUFC's finances are concerned then are all football clubs not the same, fundamentally sound financially?

Btw for every Matt and yourself Chez, I bet there are others from the City equally 'qualified' to comment on such matters with a different and opposite view.

Guest East Stander

I'd say that future income made the business fundamentally sound, its a question of how you look at the present.

What future income? TV revenue that all clubs would get? Decreasing ST sales. Decreasing sponsorship revenue? More managerial compensation payouts and loses in the transfer market? More dry cow milking? More dodgy deals? The future income that had already been spent? Club was heading towards financial meltdown and the only way we'd have turned it around is if we qualified for the CL every season. But to get there would have required more rolls of the financial dice, ala a Boom or Bust operation that existed at Leeds. Our future income was loan based.

Oh and there is a very good reason why that fat c*** didn't get any compo or made any noises about being sacked/bought out. Lets just say MA and CM has something on the Shepherds...

We were on very thin ice under those lot, financially and on the pitch. Ashley has wiped out their financial mismanagement and today we are now financially secure and can look ahead to a more optimistic future on and off the pitch, a stable one that doesn't require CL revenue to keep us afloat (ala Leeds) or more bank loans ala the Shepherds.

Quite right HTT. If you look at the detail shown for the first time about all the loans FS had taken out, we were so close to running out of cash it is scary. eg Note 14 shows he took out a loan (now repaid by MA) of £8mill on future broadcasting income. All sponsorship money from N.Rock and Adidas current deals has already been taken.

And his son has charged 92K for "consultancy work"

And some think Shepherd did well for the club?

It makes me wonder how much Allardyce would have been given to spend if we hadn't been taken over.

you never wonder about the state of the club the Halls and Shepherd took over do you

And the 15 years of their time, which is how they ought to be judged but only by those who are aware of the situation.

It makes me wonder how much Allardyce would have been given to spend if we hadn't been taken over.

you never wonder about the state of the club the Halls and Shepherd took over do you

And the 15 years of their time, which is how they ought to be judged but only by those who are aware of the situation.

They took over a shit club just over 15 years ago, no doubt about that.  That was long enough ago not to worry about, unlike our current situation.

it's a bit like a love story.

" i was drifting aimlessly till i met you,then we were great together,i've never known highs like that but these last few years your spending has got out of control,we have more going out than coming in and we can't keep it up,the bank manager is never off the phone.....and....and i've met someone else who can pay the lot off.don't cry,i know you only really wanted my earnings,i even had to pay your brother to use his garage. empty my purse,take whats there,i know you loved me but you used me too much"

They took over a shit club just over 15 years ago, no doubt about that.  That was long enough ago not to worry about, unlike our current situation.

aye, they did a shit job didn't they  mackems.gif

Lets hope that we don't end up where they found us as soon as they have gone.

Enjoying this season I take it.

" i was drifting aimlessly till i met you,then we were great together,i've never known highs like that but these last few years your spending has got out of control,we have more going out than coming in and we can't keep it up,the bank manager is never off the phone.....and....and i've met someone else who can pay the lot off.don't cry,i know you only really wanted my earnings,i even had to pay your brother to use his garage. empty my purse,take whats there,i know you loved me but you used me too much"

and I don't care what happens I'll never forgive that nasty man for calling me nasty names

aye, they did a s*** job didn't they  mackems.gif

Let's hope not, especially as we're in a better position off the field than we've been in for a while.  How much do you think Allardyce would have had to spend in we weren't bought out?

and I don't care what happens I'll never forgive that nasty man for calling me nasty names

"but we'll be better off apart,i'm better for having known you but in the end you were just dragging me down"

Guest optimistic nit

Freddy Shepherd got nothing.

I wonder why Shepherd would agree to that  :shifty:

Chairing Newcastle to the average 5th best league finish over the last 10 years was reward enough I suppose.

and when he took over he had a team that had finished 2nd for the past 2 seasons and in the top 6 ever since promotion with the second largest stadium for all but the last year of his reign. not really that impressive.

Guest optimistic nit

aye, they did a shit job didn't they  mackems.gif

about as much as the last 3, aye. shepheard was appointed chairman in 1998, and thats where i'm going to judge him from.