If Arsenal don't like it up 'em...

TRon

What was the thinking behind tonight's line up? The official match thread has turned into a Martins debate, but I really want to reason out why we put out the team we did tonight.

I was surprised to see Faye alongside Smith in midfield.

I was surprised to see Ameobi alongside Martins up front.

I was surprised we played what seemed to be a 4-4-2 formation when we least needed to play it.

Basically I'm wondering, why didn't we do a "Derby" and kick the Gooner kids into submission?

More like

Martins

N'Zog Faye  Ameobi  Milner                                                                                                        Smith

Enrique Rozenhal Taylor Beye

More like

Martins

N'Zog Faye   Ameobi  Milner                                                                                                        Smith

Enrique Rozenhal Taylor Beye

mackems.gif

Whatever formation we played, I really would like Allardyce to keep a lower profile (has he started to speak to the BBC, though?). Comments like today's are only good to motivate the opposition. If he has a "master plan" then fair enough, but don't brag about it via the public media. We have got rid of Big Mouth Shepherd and replaced him with a manager who likes listening to himself as well...

Whatever formation we played, I really would like Allardyce to keep a lower profile (has he started to speak to the BBC, though?). Comments like today's are only good to motivate the opposition. If he has a "master plan" then fair enough, but don't brag about it via the public media. We have got rid of Big Mouth Shepherd and replaced him with a manager who likes listening to himself as well...

What did he say today?

I agree with him keeping his head down though, comments directed at Rafa and the Bolton chairman are pointless and are as embarrassing as some of the shite Shepherd came out with.

What did he say today?

I agree with him keeping his head down though, comments directed at Rafa and the Bolton chairman are pointless and are as embarrassing as some of the s**** Shepherd came out with.

He said that he has the knowledge how to beat Arsenal because he found them out in the past. Already too much for my liking and only good for motivating the opposition...

You're right.

Bobby took a long while to get a better squad of inherited players playing together. I trust Bobby an awful lot more than I trust Sam.

I think he has a big job on his hands but will manage to get us top 10. It's his ability to get us beyond that that I distrust. In the meantime he should shut the fuck up about managers he simply isnt anywhere near in terms of track record and probably ability.

Big mouth managers are fine if they can back up their words a la Mourinho. I am just finding it hard to wrap my head around the idea that this was a side sent out to win this match.

Where are the brains when you put Ameobi on the left? i mean it has to be the worst decision so far this season, after Derby the twat shouldnt be fucking getting into the squad never mind starting wide left.

Also when is Allardyce going to FUCKING DROP SMITH?!?!?

Guest nufc 4 life

put this is the rating thread but might as well put it in here to.

o.k i just got back from the game as well some bright spark thought he should go top himself on the line that got me home. Anywho Enrique was the only positive out of this game. He looked strong, composed, dealt with the sheer pace of Walcott well and generally played well. WTF is SA thinking playing Ameobi on the left that has got to be up there with the Souness and Roeder blunders tbh. Martins miss was absolutely awful and he just didn't seem up for the game full stop. However he was getting no serive whatsoever so he has an excuse.

IMHO todays shambles was the fault of SA's ridiculous line-up and formation, it should be plain to see that Martins CANNOT play on his own up fron and what Ameobi was doing on the left is anyones guess.

There was a feeling of inevitability about the result when the team lineups came out and Smith and Faye were together in midfield. Is that really so different to Butt and Bowyer under Souness? To add insult to injury, while we've gone down the short-term route of signing players like Smith and Faye, the opposite number tonight was Lassana Diarra, apparently a target of ours once and a symbol of the difference in mentality between the two clubs now.

It's thoroughly disappointing that we can't put a team out to give Arsenal's youngsters a hard game or that we don't have any realistic alternative to Milner, or any pace for that matter, on the right wing.

While we look more organised off the ball this season and better defensively, we are worryingly predictable and workmanlike. We've sorted out the issue of lacking numbers, but we're still lacking real quality and flair to put us above the also-rans.

It needs to be pointed out that Arsenal's B team is a match for anyone, especially at home. They played Chelsea's first team, former league champions, off the park in last seasons Carling Cup final. When they have players like Denilson in their reserve side (a midfielder superior to any of ours imo, despite being a kid), its a pretty damning indication of just how far ahead of us they are in terms of ability and the calibre of player at their disposal.

While we look more organised off the ball this season and better defensively, we are worryingly predictable and workmanlike. We've sorted out the issue of lacking numbers, but we're still lacking real quality and flair to put us above the also-rans.

That is still massive progress though compared to the Souness and Roeder regimes.

Maybe when Allardyce gets round to signing the attacking and creative players he wants, as opposed to making do with players he doesnt (eg Martins, Owen, both of whom he clearly attempted to advertise, whilst hed almost certainly want to flog the likes of Ameobi), we'll see a marked improvement in those categories too.

i don't think arsenal's side is individually better than ours, hoyte, song, fabianski, senderos are worse than what we have in our side, while bentner, traore and walcott are no better. they have some canny players but so do we and ours are generally more experienced. the bulk of their advantage is down to them being managed by a genius who has established a set up perfect for his needs, whereas ours is still finding his feet, which can be seen by his terrible team selection. i can't understand where allardyce was coming from with his bizarre selections in the last two away matches. oh, and the fact that the arsenal side has more pace and skill than ours doesn't help either, or the fact that denilson looks like he'll be world class in a few years time. i'd love to see a player like that at newcastle.

Guest optimistic nit

i dont feel any real need for smith to be dropped until he's keeping out someone who would be much more effective than he is, which will not be the case until barton is fit.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Radio said we played 4-3-3 with...

Milner.......................Ameobi

................Martins

We played:

----------------------- Given ------------------------

--- Beye --- Taylor --- Rozehnal --- Enrique ---

----------------- Smith --- Faye --------------------

Milner -------------- N'Zogbia ------------ Ameobi

----------------------- Martins -----------------------

I was there, so don't tell me otherwise. Appaling formation, it really was.

................Martins

We played:

Almost. I was there too. It was:

Guest jamesmartinsmith

................Martins

We played:

Almost. I was there too. It was:

:laugh:

The only reason he plays is because he's on Ashley's shirt like.