Arsenal Carling Cup player ratings

Dr. TC

Spent so long writing this post in main thread it had been hijacked and locked before I could post. Thought it was worth a thread to discuss Enrique's positive contribution, if not to dwell on the overall crapness of everything else. Here it is:

Just got back.

Shower of shite. Sorry mods if I use strong language.

Player ratings

Given 7 - Some good saves, but failed to command his area to any extent

Beye 6 - Looked pacy but struggled with Walcott

Taylor 7 - Should start every game. Quick and strong.

Rozenhal 5 - Played himself into trouble often. Cleared it up well mostly, but shouldn't have let it happen in the first place. Seemed at fault for first goal from what I saw. Was poor going forwards and left himself out of position.

Enrique 8 - MOTM The one bright point in the whole game. Looked strong and reasonably quick, dealt with threats down his flank, often helped Rozenhal out of his messes. Also looked a threat going forwards first half with some good balls into the box, especially given his left wing partner Shola Ame-retard-obi.

Faye 6 - Solid but slow

N'Zogbia 6 - Little contribution in the centre, but had obviously been singled out as a danger man and was fouled a lot.

Smith 3 - Played the ball to an Arsenal player as often as not, comitted fouls and argued the toss about it. No attacking contribution.

Ameobi 3 - Left wing wtf? I thought we realised years ago that playing high balls to him on the flank doesn't work. Won a few headers, but lost the ball a lot and made no defensive contribution at all. Was booed off by travelling fans (not by me, but I can understand)

Milner 4 - Seemed off the pace, little contribution.

Martins 6 - No service, just random long balls. Made himself some chances, but squandered them. Absolutely awful awful miss at 1-0, obviously worried about missing again. Should have had a penalty though, and was singled out like N'Zogbia.

Subs:

Emre 6 - Added some direction to our passing.

Butt 6 - Added some steel when were at 0-0

We were played off the park in all honesty. :(

We were poor, very poor. Did absolutely fuck all while they danced a merry dance around us.

Player ratings? Shay was ok, Taylor did pretty well, Martins made an effort, good to see Emre, though he didn't bring much to the party. Everyone else failed to do anything of note... except Shola... who was utterly shocking.

Fuck knows why Martins is being hammered. Shola should be fucking put down in comparison. As our only outlet, all Martins had to work with were balls over the top. Ballooned one chance, didn't have enough power on the other, and he was far, far, far from from a player to lay much blame on. The manager/whole team deserve the criticism.

Possible we might have nicked it but even then, I never had much belief that it would happen, much like the team it seemed. Another underwhelming and impotent performance.

Ah well, always next year. >:(

Being generous with Enrique tbh.

Really? I was very impressed, saw him do very little wrong. Maybe it was just in comparison to everything else.

Midfield contributed virtually nothing, leaving the defence under constant pressure. Gameplan seemed to be Rozenhal whacking it to Shola on the left wing for flickons, or for Senderos to mess up.

Really? I was very impressed, saw him do very little wrong. Maybe it was just in comparison to everything else.

Midfield contributed virtually nothing, leaving the defence under constant pressure. Gameplan seemed to be Rozenhal whacking it to Shola on the left wing for flickons, or for Senderos to mess up.

Seemed short of fitness to me like, also seen him make a couple of screw ups, but I guess it wasn't just him.

Agree for the most part. Nothing stand out, but he did very little wrong and had a number of encouraging moments.

Guest nufc 4 life

o.k i just got back from the game as well some bright spark thought he should go top himself on the line that got me home. Anywho Enrique was the only positive out of this game. He looked strong, composed, dealt with the sheer pace of Walcott well and generally played well. WTF is SA thinking playing Ameobi on the left that has got to be up there with the Souness and Roeder blunders tbh. Martins miss was absolutely awful and he just didn't seem up for the game full stop. However he was getting no serive whatsoever so he has an excuse.

IMHO todays shambles was the fault of SA's ridiculous line-up and formation, it should be plain to see that Martins CANNOT play on his own up fron and what Ameobi was doing on the left is anyones guess.

o.k i just got back from the game as well some bright spark thought he should go top himself on the line that got me home. Anywho Enrique was the only positive out of this game. He looked strong, composed, dealt with the sheer pace of Walcott well and generally played well. WTF is SA thinking playing Ameobi on the left that has got to be up there with the Souness and Roeder blunders tbh. Martins miss was absolutely awful and he just didn't seem up for the game full stop. However he was getting no serive whatsoever so he has an excuse.

IMHO todays shambles was the fault of SA's ridiculous line-up and formation, it should be plain to see that Martins CANNOT play on his own up fron and what Ameobi was doing on the left is anyones guess.

This pretty much summarises my long post at the start.

Guest nufc 4 life

sorry mate couldn't be bothered to read it i'm knackered

I didn't mean anything by it mate, just pleased that you had pretty much exactly the same opinion as me.

Guest nufc 4 life

I didn't mean anything by it mate, just pleased that you had pretty much exactly the same opinion as me.

O0 i'm going to do the same thing as you and get some shut-eye 2 hour fucking journey  :rant:

tbh its an absolute disgrace this long ball game.  you cant blame the midfield when the ball is being played over the top of them all the time.  I prayed sam realised this after the bolton game n put this right in the west ham game but obviously doesnt see n not willing to leave the long ball game. aAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!

Guest nufc 4 life

Just seen the Martins shot cleared off the line.

Makes the overreaction on here about something people heard on the radio even more ridiculous.

the t.v makes it look as though he actuali put a bit of pace on the shot, he didn't, the shot was weak, very weak and he should of done a hell of a lot better. You can see how poorly he hit it when you see home much ground senderos makes up in the time it leaves his foot.

apologies for the poor typin im sooo fukin tired

Makes the overreaction on here about something people heard on the radio even more ridiculous.

Still haven't seen it. Do you think it was a bad miss, then? Or not as bad as many made out?

Just seen it. He really should have scored, though I agree with those who suggest he was trying to be too careful with it in light of the West Ham miss. Too precise, gave Senderos too much of a chance. Nice little link up to get him in though.

Still haven't seen it. Do you think it was a bad miss, then? Or not as bad as many made out?

It was on target, just not enough power. Dissapointing but just glad he hit the target after his recent efforts, and certainly not worthy of much (if any) sustained criticism for me.

The team did not deserve a goal, and it would have made little difference in the end anyway.  :undecided:

It was on target, just not enough power. Dissapointing but just glad he hit the target after his recent efforts, and certainly not worthy of much (if any) sustained criticism for me.

The team did not deserve a goal, and it would have made little difference in the end anyway.  :undecided:

I disagree there. They'd battered us but had only just got the breakthrough. An instant response from us could have changed the game completely.