James Milner

Guest Pie

Hes not adapted well to the new system, and I dont think hes versatile enough to play as a wide forward - doesnt have the range of abilities youd want.

May very well be a 4-4-2 player.

Same could be said of Martins, Emre, Owen and quite a few others in our team.

We need to play to our strengths and today was a day in which we seemed to be trying to do the exact opposite.

Theres two viewpoints here - either the manager plays the best system for the players at his disposal, or he sticks to his guns (even if sporadically) and uses the system he knows best, gradually changing the personnel to best fit this system.

To be fair, I would rather we do the latter, because the potential to go further is when the manager gets to mould and incorporate players around the system he prefers. If that means gradually shipping out some of our best players who unfortunately cannot adjust to the preferred system, and replacing them with players who do have the ability to play in the system he prefers, then im all for it.

Utter s****. Contribtion today? Nil. third goal indirectly as a result of his lack of pace. Slows play down amd plays a s**** ball when there are acres to go at. we're under pressure. Free kick ensues in build from that...Get rid from first team. Nice lad, hard working. s****.

Not like you to single Milner out at every opportunity. Don't know why it needed a new thread really, as you give everyone your opinion on Milner whenever he is mentioned in a thread.  Why not just put it in your signature??

What did he contribute today?

I'm not saying he contributed or had a goog game.  If you read what I've actually said, my point is that you are singling him out .  So if you aren't, what did the rest of the midfield contribute today?

4-3-3? Midfield? Isnt he meant be attacking?

I would like to see him & Alan Smith swap postions for few games.

In what sport? What did he do today? Or this season? Complete s****. Weakest link. the reply to the lad was 'gay' though Jon. Even you, as a fanboy, must be be disconcerted? If not, why? He was appalling.

What are you on about.

Milner has played a lot of games for the U21's in the middle under Peter Taylor & played well. We are not getting much of Alan Smith as one of 3 CM's & his best games last season were as RF v Roma.

I am not sure if you are calling me a fan boy or GeJon but I am not a fan of any player I support a team.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Really should have given Milner a game through the middle in the 4-3-3 by now, as with his pace limitations he can't play wide in that system with any positive effect.

Through the middle he could be useful though and would give us some penetration from the middle and get some players with proper pace down the wings.

---------------- Given

Beye -- Taylor -- Rozenhal -- Enrique

------ Milner -- Geremi -- Smith

Martins ---------------------------- N'Zogbia

----------------- Viduka

I'd like to see that against Everton next week.

;D

Milner is a winger.

---------------- Given

Milner -- Barton -- Geremi -- N'Zogbia

----------- Viduka -- Martins

In what sport? What did he do today? Or this season? Complete s****. Weakest link. the reply to the lad was 'gay' though Jon. Even you, as a fanboy, must be be disconcerted? If not, why? He was appalling.

So why are you quoting someone else you utter mongfest :lol:

Cos he was right. What is the French for late?

I think you need to learn how to quote.

Someone we should be looking to replace imo. Just so one dimensional. He's not complete shite though that's just bullshit.  Does a few good things but doesn't do them often enough, simple as that. Produced about 2 bits of decent play, just not enough for an attacking player. I noticed how everything was going down the left in the second half down to him being marked and basically making life easy for the left back by not moving, cutting in, linking up etc. Which made us easy to play against and predictable. Obviously this wasn;t all down to him but he played a major part imo.

Agreed.

He's not good enough to be a starter and should be one of the first players replaced in January.

What are you on about.

Milner has played a lot of games for the U21's in the middle under Peter Taylor & played well. We are not getting much of Alan Smith as one of 3 CM's & his best games last season were as RF v Roma.

I am not sure if you are calling me a fan boy or GeJon but I am not a fan of any player I support a team.

Doesn't he play (usally very slowly) for Newcastle? In the ttacking third of a team. He did fuck all and well you know it. Nothing new. He is appalling. Peter Cartwright scored against the mackems on new years day. Want him in the side? He had a good game once....

Really should have given Milner a game through the middle in the 4-3-3 by now, as with his pace limitations he can't play wide in that system with any positive effect.

Through the middle he could be useful though and would give us some penetration from the middle and get some players with proper pace down the wings.

---------------- Given

------ Milner -- Geremi -- Smith

Martins ---------------------------- N'Zogbia

----------------- Viduka

I'd like to see that against Everton next week.

;D

Milner is a winger.

---------------- Given

Milner -- Barton -- Geremi -- N'Zogbia

----------- Viduka -- Martins

Yes but he's not a very good winger and horribly disrupts the balance of the team when played wide in 4-3-3, which is the system our manager prefers.

Someone we should be looking to replace imo. Just so one dimensional. He's not complete s**** though that's just bullshit.  Does a few good things but doesn't do them often enough, simple as that. Produced about 2 bits of decent play, just not enough for an attacking player. I noticed how everything was going down the left in the second half down to him being marked and basically making life easy for the left back by not moving, cutting in, linking up etc. Which made us easy to play against and predictable. Obviously this wasn;t all down to him but he played a major part imo.

Agreed.

He's not good enough to be a starter and should be one of the first players replaced in January.

Spot on.

Milner is a good player, its the likes of Butt, Geremi and Smith that deserve to be bashed for their peformence today.

Exactly, don't tell Pie boy that though! Milner is to blame for EVERYTHING that goes wrong at NUFC!

So why are you quoting someone else you utter mongfest :lol:

Cos he was right. What is the French for late?

I think you need to learn how to quote.

Procrastinating? Or diverting attention?

Utter s****. Contribtion today? Nil. third goal indirectly as a result of his lack of pace. Slows play down amd plays a s**** ball when there are acres to go at. we're under pressure. Free kick ensues in build from that...Get rid from first team. Nice lad, hard working. s****.

Not like you to single Milner out at every opportunity. Don't know why it needed a new thread really, as you give everyone your opinion on Milner whenever he is mentioned in a thread.  Why not just put it in your signature??

I'm not saying he contributed or had a goog game.  If you read what I've actually said, my point is that you are singling him out .  So if you aren't, what did the rest of the midfield contribute today?

Ok, well don't answer the question

Milner is a good player, its the likes of Butt, Geremi and Smith that deserve to be bashed for their peformence today.

Exactly, don't tell Pie boy that though! Milner is to blame for EVERYTHING that goes wrong at NUFC!

And you two have been to how many games in the last 4 seasons? to witness this 'good' play?

I'll slow down the thought process for you. Was he meant to be attacking? Defending? Or neither as he did today?

I'll slow down the thought process for you. Was he meant to be attacking? Defending? Or neither as he did today?

Just answer the question about the rest of the midfield and I'll be happy, instead of diverting every question in this thread so far with another question of your own! FFS

What are you on about.

Doesn't he play (usally very slowly) for Newcastle? In the ttacking third of a team. He did f*** all and well you know it. Nothing new. He is appalling. Peter Cartwright scored against the mackems on new years day. Want him in the side? He had a good game once....

We need to change the team around that is obvious to anybody. If we are going to play 433 then moving Smith into attack seems obvious to me. The Bolton system last season worked with 3 strikers upfront & that is what I would go for in that system.  I dont think Milners best postion is on the wing.

And you two have been to how many games in the last 4 seasons? to witness this 'good' play?

I like Milner, i thijnk he does really really well with his limited ability (which dont get me wrong are still good) but i just dont htink he is penetrative enough, after watching arsenal the other day i dont think its really acceptable to say he's young and can only get better because nowadays at this age you looing for something that you can really progreess with, something like what martins has, i honestly dont see that with Milner, its been said before but his weakness is obvioulsy his pace, as he isnt the greatest technichal winger relying on his crossing isnt good enough, i would like to see a more Zog type player who can cross and also get to the byline, this is going to be the type of player who will bring both our strikers into the game as in my opinion OWen isnt great with the ball in the air. As for playing him in an advanced position in the 433 formation no thank you, i can see Zog fitting in ok, but not perfect as his natural game isnt getting into advanced positions beyond the last defender, i think that Smith could do well in the advanced role in the 433. But as it stands i cant see Milner being good enough, which is so ironic as he was our best player ast year.

What are you on about.

Doesn't he play (usally very slowly) for Newcastle? In the ttacking third of a team. He did f*** all and well you know it. Nothing new. He is appalling. Peter Cartwright scored against the mackems on new years day. Want him in the side? He had a good game once....

We need to change the team around that is obvious to anybody. If we are going to play 433 then moving Smith into attack seems obvious to me. The Bolton system last season worked with 3 strikers upfront & that is what I would go for in that system.  I dont think Milners best postion is on the wing.

bench?

Hes not adapted well to the new system, and I dont think hes versatile enough to play as a wide forward - doesnt have the range of abilities youd want.

May very well be a 4-4-2 player.

Same could be said of Martins, Emre, Owen and quite a few others in our team.

We need to play to our strengths and today was a day in which we seemed to be trying to do the exact opposite.

Theres two viewpoints here - either the manager plays the best system for the players at his disposal, or he sticks to his guns (even if sporadically) and uses the system he knows best, gradually changing the personnel to best fit this system.

To be fair, I would rather we do the latter, because the potential to go further is when the manager gets to mould and incorporate players around the system he prefers. If that means gradually shipping out some of our best players who unfortunately cannot adjust to the preferred system, and replacing them with players who do have the ability to play in the system he prefers, then im all for it.

Atm, it should be the former. Our best players will cost a fortune to replace - Owen, Martins, Emre, Milner etc. All players who have shown that they can contribute when played in a 4-4-2. We ideally should be fitting a formation around our 'key' players, essentially forming a spine for the side.

Given

Rozehnal

Barton - Zoggy

Owen

^

That's how I see the 'spine' of our team. Zoggy's obviously on the left wing but he's an essential part of our attack. Barton will prove so to be as well and of course the others are pretty self-explanatory. Now from here, we have to fill in the rest of the positions.

Atm, it seems Allardyce's spine consists of Geremi and Smith in the center together, which will NOT work.

I'm not arguing in favour or against a 4-3-3 - just saying that we need to make sure our best players are on the park in their best/most effective positions. Anything other than that would be inexcusable from BS.

quite

What are you on about.

We need to change the team around that is obvious to anybody. If we are going to play 433 then moving Smith into attack seems obvious to me. The Bolton system last season worked with 3 strikers upfront & that is what I would go for in that system.  I dont think Milners best postion is on the wing.

Where then, i'm thinking but I honestly can't think of anywhere he would fit into our team.

Just answer the question about the rest of the midfield and I'll be happy, instead of diverting every question in this thread so far with another question of your own! FFS

The rest of the midfield were poor too, however long term people are hoping N'Zogbia will be back on the left and Barton through the middle.

That still leaves us with the problem of the right hand side of midfield where Milner is likely to be unchallenged as first choice winger, I personally think he's an average player who gives his all but that isn't enough if we want to improve, I've been going on for ages about the need for pace and penetration in the team and it was missing again today, City on the other hand showed what the benefits of a quick winger are with Petrov bombing down the wing for them.

The rest of the midfield were poor too, however long term people are hoping N'Zogbia will be back on the left and Barton through the middle.

That still leaves us with the problem of the right hand side of midfield where Milner is likely to be unchallenged as first choice winger, I personally think he's an average player who gives his all but that isn't enough if we want to improve, I've been going on for ages about the need for pace and penetration in the team and it was missing again today, City on the other hand showed what the benefits of a quick winger are with Petrov bombing down the wing for them.

I agree 100% with that Baggio.  I think the key will be who steps down when Barton is fit.  Shame Pie can't see past it all being Milners fault every time we are poor at the minute.