Shay Concedes 7 in Three Games

Crumpy Gunt

So what; we wait for him to make the inevitable match-losing mistake or two, then drop him? Great selection policy. :rolleyes:  You play your best players.

Harper has just has one of his longest runs in the team for years, mistakes aren't inevitable, his mistakes have been at times when he's had one game out of the blue and before he's had a chance to get used to the players in front of him.  Given has also made match losing mistakes, all keepers do.  The biggest howler I've seen from either was probably by Given against Coventry when he wasn't aware of Dublin being behind him, he dropped the ball on the ground to kick it when Dublin ran around and put the ball in the net.

do you play who you consider your best player in that position or not drop someone cos they've done nothing wrong ?

there is no correct answer.

always makes me remember micky quinn, 2 goals V pompey, very nearly a hat trick,man of the match, dropped next game as gavin peacock was fit.

Guest Ridzuan

We could have another great keeper coming here soon...

Bolton goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen's agent has revealed the Finn would be interested in a reunion with Sam Allardyce at Newcastle.

The 32-year-old's Trotters contract expires at the end of the season but he has refused to extend the deal and now looks certain to leave The Reebok.

Arsenal have been linked with a move for him, but he would be tempted by the opportunity to link up with former gaffer Allardyce at St James' Park.

His agent Peter Harrison told the Daily Mail: "Bolton have withdrawn their offer and there are no further talks planned.

"Jussi would be interested in joining a club like Newcastle, especially as Sam was his best manager at Bolton."

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_2771236,00.html

Bolton goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen's agent has revealed the Finn would be interested in a reunion with Sam Allardyce at Newcastle.

The 32-year-old's Trotters contract expires at the end of the season but he has refused to extend the deal and now looks certain to leave The Reebok.

Arsenal have been linked with a move for him, but he would be tempted by the opportunity to link up with former gaffer Allardyce at St James' Park.

His agent Peter Harrison told the Daily Mail: "Bolton have withdrawn their offer and there are no further talks planned.

"Jussi would be interested in joining a club like Newcastle, especially as Sam was his best manager at Bolton."

3rd choice

3rd choice

You rate Harper as a better keeper than Jaaskelainen?

3rd choice

as good as.

i've never particularly rated jaas that highly,like niemi a few years back when people were raving about him.

3rd choice

as good as.

i've never particularly rated jaas that highly,like niemi a few years back when people were raving about him.

That's fair enough. :)

I think he's head and shoulders better than Harper from what I've seen of him, but there you go. All about opinions as they say.

3rd choice

as good as.

That's fair enough. :)

I think he's head and shoulders better than Harper from what I've seen of him, but there you go. All about opinions as they say.

aye, as you say. it maybe as i've seen him mostly against us and he's never really stood out (sol at SJP syndrome)

I thought this would happen.  I can see Sam letting Given go because like has been stated in this thread Shay is poor at organising the back 4. 

Sam likes his Goalkeepers to be big with excellent organisation of the backline. 

I'd say he rates this probably above shot stopping ability. 

If the defence is well organised we'll give away less chances so there are less chances that require the world class saves that Given pulls off. 

In my mind Given is the best shotstopper in the world but I'd prefer us to concede less chances being rectified by world class saves and a more organised backline.

I'm not saying sell Given but if we don't I fear we need to buy a centrehalf in the mould of Terry (obviously not him) who can organise the defence.

how does the keeper organise the defence ?

By talking to them and telling them where to stand who is making runs etc.  The keeper has a better view of the back four than anybody in the back 4.  He can see where the space is he should be telling people to close the gaps etc.

all the team should be talking like this. the keeper may have a better view but he's not someone you want to be the organiser (one of the back 4 needs to lead the line for offsides etc).

By talking to them and telling them where to stand who is making runs etc.  The keeper has a better view of the back four than anybody in the back 4.  He can see where the space is he should be telling people to close the gaps etc.

all the team should be talking like this. the keeper may have a better view but he's not someone you want to be the organiser (one of the back 4 needs to lead the line for offsides etc).

Yes someone does need to lead the lines for offsides but thats not what I am talking about.  Great defences have keepers with great communication and organisation.  England is a prime example even with John Terry because Robbo is useless at organising they look like a midtable premiership defence and yes its also because of the midfield.  I don't think its a coinicidence that our defence look more solid with Harper in goals.  Anyway this is the way Sam thinks I've seen interviews with him in his Bolton days talking about this as I'm sure many have.

Yes someone does need to lead the lines for offsides but thats not what I am talking about.  Great defences have keepers with great communication and organisation.  England is a prime example even with John Terry because Robbo is useless at organising they look like a midtable premiership defence and yes its also because of the midfield.  I don't think its a coinicidence that our defence look more solid with Harper in goals.  Anyway this is the way Sam thinks I've seen interviews with him in his Bolton days talking about this as I'm sure many have.

not just for offsides.

all the keeper can do is point out if a player is unmarked or not doing the job the team tactics dictate (which other players can point out aswell). i believe this "keepers organising "thing is a myth.

given isn't silent, he does tell defenders if someone is unmarked etc.

we have had a problem for years about the lack of communication throughout the whole team.

do you really think the defence looked stronger with harper in goal,compare them fairly,say 2 away games, derby with harper or citeh with given ?  to me neither was better than the other defensivly

Yes someone does need to lead the lines for offsides but thats not what I am talking about.   Great defences have keepers with great communication and organisation.  England is a prime example even with John Terry because Robbo is useless at organising they look like a midtable premiership defence and yes its also because of the midfield.  I don't think its a coinicidence that our defence look more solid with Harper in goals.  Anyway this is the way Sam thinks I've seen interviews with him in his Bolton days talking about this as I'm sure many have.

not just for offsides.

all the keeper can do is point out if a player is unmarked or not doing the job the team tactics dictate (which other players can point out aswell). i believe this "keepers organising "thing is a myth.

given isn't silent, he does tell defenders if someone is unmarked etc.

we have had a problem for years about the lack of communication throughout the whole team.

do you really think the defence looked stronger with harper in goal,compare them fairly,say 2 away games, derby with harper or citeh with given ?  to me neither was better than the other defensivly

I don't think we'll agree on the organisation thing but I'll make one more point and that is do you think Schmeichel's communication and organisation was beneficial to Man U.

I suppose there wasn't much difference in the defence it was probably more down to Cacapa being missing.  You are right about the lack of communication in the whole team which is strange considering we have about 6 former captains.  I do feel we are more solid with Harper in not only because of his slightly better organisation skills but because he always comes for crosses whereas Shay is hesitant. 

Obviously Given is the better keeper but I do feel there is some confusion in the backline with him between the sticks.

do you think Schmeichel's communication and organisation was beneficial to Man U.

not as much as is made out.more to do with a team of very good players who had a defensive plan running through the team,well drilled,organised and talented.

do you think Schmeichel's communication and organisation was beneficial to Man U.

not as much as is made out.more to do with a team of very good players who had a defensive plan running through the team,well drilled,organised and talented.

I didn't ask that I simply asked was it beneficial? 

And yes obviously Man U where a highly talented well organised team.

Guest justin99.

I think I'll go mad if Sam brings in Jussie at the expense of Shay.

Shay has been rated in the top 3? (someone correct me) goalkeepers in premierleague history.

I would class him as one of the best in the world.

Guest RodrigoPalacio

Shays not one of the best in the world.  If he was, he wouldn't be playing for us.  Chelsea, Man U, Barca, AC, Inter etc would have had him by now if he was.  His shot stopping is second to none, yes, but he commands his area about as well as Captain Mainwaring commanded dads army.  Kicking isn't superb, Handling is average, Rushing out is shite, so for me, no he isnt one of the best in the world.

I didn't ask that I simply asked was it beneficial? 

And yes obviously Man U where a highly talented well organised team.

it's always beneficial to for a keeper to point out "get him,he's unmarked",shay does this aswell,you already know i feel keepers actually organising stuff (except defensive walls for free kicks) is a myth.at that time if anyone organised man utd's defence it was steve bruce.

Anyone who thinks Harper is even close to Given in terms of quality needs their f****** heads checked.  If we didn't have Shay for the past 10 years f*** knows where we'd be now.

No he's just number 1 because he's much better than Harper.

People clearly being bias because Harper is a local lad, imo.

Last season up to 22nd April:

Given

Minutes Played:  1791

Goals Conceeded: 26

Saves Made:        71

Shots per goal:    3.7

Minutes per goal: 68.9

Harper

Minutes Played:  1265

Goals Conceeded: 15

Saves Made:        50

Shots per goal:    4.3