Big Sam blames defeat on being "too adventurous"

Gallowgate End

Sam Allardyce has blasted Newcastle United for being “too adventurous” in Saturday’s defeat at Manchester City.

"We got the goal, and then we were too adventurous. When you become too adventurous away from home, you pay the price and we gifted them the equaliser"

I found these comments quite astonishing.

The biggest frustration in the defeat on Saturday was not our Adventure but our Ultra defensive centre three (Butt, Smith, Geremi) which gave us nothing in balance going forward nor creativity to the isolated Viduka and the too deep and wide Martins along with the ridiculously high line by our back four.

You simply don't play 3 ultra defensive central midfielders if your going to play such a high line because as seen for there first goal its very easy to get threw the ultra defensive midfield three with one ball over/threw the back fours high line it wasn't only for the first goal but after when Shay Given had to pull of a one on one save due to the high defensive line and non productive defensive centre three in there duties.

4-4-2 is a must with the squad and players we have if we are to make the most of our best players, Martins needs to play high up the pitch alongside Viduka and not deep and wide and N'Zogbia now must be given license to go attack teams high up the pitch on the left side with Milner returning to his favored right side role.

I realize Big Sam is never going to bring back the Keegan or Robson times in terms of adventure and flowing football but the ultra defensive line ups and not getting the best out of our attacking players by giving them un complementary roles is very frustrating.

He's not wrong tbh. Once we got the lead we should have dropped back and hit them on the break. They ended up doing it to us instead. What I would say is that the way the team was set up, it was difficult to play that way as the midfield couldn't hold the ball. It wasn't just the tactics, it was the personnel wasn't suited to those tactics.

If you read the whole article in the Chronicle (i think) he was merely saying that our defence were being too adventurous by not just clearing the ball out of play for the second goal. He has been taken out of context.

Don't get your knickers in a twist.

It's funny, I thought to myself yesterday that someone was going to pick up on those quotes.

My biggest gripe is the teams/formations/tactics he picks not so much his comments.

But comments of

"We got the goal, and then we were too adventurous. When you become too adventurous away from home, you pay the price"

Doesn't help after watching 90 minutes of a isolated Viduka a too deep Martins and a ultra defensive three in central midfield who offer very little creativity or forward running.

Just such a waste playing Martins so deep and playing such a good link man in Viduka so isolated and wasting the attacking abilities of N'Zogbia at left back.

I'm beginning to think especially looking at comments like this SA has lost some perspective. Maybe we are too big a club for him and he is feeling the pressure.

We defended badly cause they attacked beautifully and we didn't have enough positive possession to take the pressure off the def.

I'm still totally behind SA but he really needs to get a balanced side out (whenever possible).

Don't help after watching 90 minutes of a isolated Viduka a too deep Martins and a ultra defensive three in central midfield who offer very little creativity or forward running.

Or defending.

The high back line of the back four was as much to blame for the defeat as the lack of adventure of the midfield and forward line up I would agree.

Criminal to play such a high line against Elano the first goal highlighted that.

Guest Darth Toon

So basically everyone is ignoring hindu times' post? Any reason for a rant.

Apparently so.

:lol:

Spot on mate (your intial comment I mean)

Don't help after watching 90 minutes of a isolated Viduka a too deep Martins and a ultra defensive three in central midfield who offer very little creativity or forward running.

Or defending.

The high back line of the back four was as much to blame for the defeat as the lack of adventure of the midfield and forward line up I would agree.

Criminal to play such a high line against Elano the first goal highlighted that.

I was referring to the defensive capabilities of the midfield 3. They didn't get anywhere near Elano all day...Butt was a complete non-entity apart from a couple of fouls...didn't even manage to give anyone a proper kicking in the time honoured tradition of his former club. That peanut looking thing on the left was obviously scared of a booking, I thought he was supposed to be agressive...fuck knows what else he has going for him. Did he go to ground once? The non performance of them 2 especially were far more to blame than N'Zogbia's header as Sam seems to have claimed in hindu times post....

As for the high line, well I don't think its suicide playing that high against Elano. Suicide playing that high against anyone. You're asking for trouble playing like that considering the only one of them 4 who looked like he had any pace can't read the game...eg noticing when a pudding bowl headed winger is running past him into 30 yards of space...

Or defending.

I was referring to the defensive capabilities of the midfield 3. They didn't get anywhere near Elano all day...Butt was a complete non-entity apart from a couple of fouls...didn't even manage to give anyone a proper kicking in the time honoured tradition of his former club. That peanut looking thing on the left was obviously scared of a booking, I thought he was supposed to be agressive...fuck knows what else he has going for him.

I agree.

Parker anyone  :razz:

Or defending.

I was referring to the defensive capabilities of the midfield 3. They didn't get anywhere near Elano all day...Butt was a complete non-entity apart from a couple of fouls...didn't even manage to give anyone a proper kicking in the time honoured tradition of his former club. That peanut looking thing on the left was obviously scared of a booking, I thought he was supposed to be agressive...fuck knows what else he has going for him. Did he go to ground once? The non performance of them 2 especially were far more to blame than N'Zogbia's header as Sam seems to have claimed in hindu times post....

As for the high line, well I don't think its suicide playing that high against Elano. Suicide playing that high against anyone. You're asking for trouble playing like that considering the only one of them 4 who looked like he had any pace can't read the game...eg noticing when a pudding bowl headed winger is running past him into 30 yards of space...

You're spot on, but that's what you get when you have a left winger playing at left back. Zog's strength is going forward not backward.

As for Butt and Smith, it's been done to death here. Even if they win the ball, there won't be anyone they can pass to except each other. Or the opposition. 

If you read the whole article in the Chronicle (i think) he was merely saying that our defence were being too adventurous by not just clearing the ball out of play for the second goal. He has been taken out of context.

Don't get your knickers in a twist.

It's funny, I thought to myself yesterday that someone was going to pick up on those quotes.

Just incase they 'accidently' scrolled over your post.

Sam Allardyce has blasted Newcastle United for being too adventurous in Saturdays defeat at Manchester City.

"We got the goal, and then we were too adventurous. When you become too adventurous away from home, you pay the price and we gifted them the equaliser"

I found these comments quite astonishing.

The biggest frustration in the defeat on Saturday was not our Adventure but our Ultra defensive centre three (Butt, Smith, Geremi) which gave us nothing in balance going forward nor creativity to the isolated Viduka and the too deep and wide Martins along with the ridiculously high line by our back four.

You simply don't play 3 ultra defensive central midfielders if your going to play such a high line because as seen for there first goal its very easy to get threw the ultra defensive midfield three with one ball over/threw the back fours high line it wasn't only for the first goal but after when Shay Given had to pull of a one on one save due to the high defensive line and non productive defensive centre three in there duties.

4-4-2 is a must with the squad and players we have if we are to make the most of our best players, Martins needs to play high up the pitch alongside Viduka and not deep and wide and N'Zogbia now must be given license to go attack teams high up the pitch on the left side with Milner returning to his favored right side role.

I realize Big Sam is never going to bring back the Keegan or Robson times in terms of adventure and flowing football but the ultra defensive line ups and not getting the best out of our attacking players by giving them un complementary roles is very frustrating.

Maybe your guilty of taking him out of context. But totally agree with what you said about our formation. I see what SA was trying to do (i.e. totally dominate the midfield) but in hindsight (yes wonderful thing i know) it didn't work as our midfield were pretty poor all in all, lots of stray passes and created precious little, we certainly need to be more positive now especially with some of the quality players we have at our disposal. At our next home match v everton we need to really attack them and have a go more. Emre needs to be tried. Yes he will need to get back and dig in when we do not have the ball, but when we do he needs to be able to push forwad linking up play with his passes and vision and have a few shots himself and he he can't do it try Barton or buy someone to give us the creativity.