Milner gets young player of the year award

Skirge

But Pie says he's s***.  Who you going to believe?

Pie.

Milner is average and the sooner we replace him in the starting 11 the better.

Could be said for a lot of the team. Especially when its people saying "well he wouldn't get into a top 4 side".

Several of the team have been there. Several of those we have sold recently have been. Even Alan Smith has (with 2 sides has been whilst playing lots of games for both). Milner isnt good enough for it and never will be. Good squad player. Hopeless this season.

Yes Smith who was the local hero at Leeds so played a lot of games although not all that many in his favoured position and was a roaring success at ManU.

The rest of your argument is so flawed its unreal. Bramble and Andy O'Brien played for a top 4 club in the champions league. I take it they are better than Milner aswell?

TT has it spot on.

How has he got it spot on?

How is getting rid of the likes of Pattison and Ramage going to improve our starting 11 when neither will be anywhere near the first team anyway unless we have a major injury crisis?

If you want to improve as a team then you improve on the starting 11, that way you push the players already in the starting 11 down to being squad players, getting rid of the likes of Ramage and Pattison would only benefit us if we either replace them with better squad players which won't improve the starting 11, or we replace them with better players than we've currently got in the starting 11 and pushing the likes of Barton and Rozenhal down to the bench.

If you look at our starting 11 then Milner is practically guaranteed a starting place down the right because he's got no competition apart from Smith and he can't play there, the right wing would be the first place I would be looking to strengthen because we're clearly short of quality there, bringing in someone like SWP or another quality winger with pace would massively improve our starting 11 because apart from the odd cross Milner is offering very little to our overall attacking play.

But Pie says he's shit.  Who you going to believe?

Pie.

Could be said for a lot of the team. Especially when its people saying "well he wouldn't get into a top 4 side".

In this order: (on age, wage, availability & ability)

1st

Babayaro

Carr

Pattison

Ramage

Ameobi

Emre

Smith

Butt

Owen

Duff

Viduka

Harper

Last

Needs sold and replacing before we even think about getting rid of Milner.

[

If all that has gone, and been replaced with better, then yes, lets look at selling him and replacing him with someone better. Until then, lets support the lad who a decent player, and will only get better.

The majority of those are not going to be in the starting 11 when everyone is fit, I'd rather concentrate on improving that rather than getting rid of squad players as that won't improve us as much.

Out of our starting 11 when everyone is fit Milner will first choice down the right and is the one we should improve on first.

We need another right winger, if we play 442.

I get what you are saying, but we need a squad now, too much time and energy focusing on certain positions have got us nowhere in the past, with our luck with injuries, we need a squad before buying talented individuals, and in that we do need someone to challenge Milner, someone with pace, so we have a good option in that position.

Milner isn't holding us back, injuries and poor formations are holding us back right now. We saw what Milner was like under souness, who basically brought him on and told him to play, we saw what he was like under better guidance on loan, in a settled position, and then back here in a settled position. He's playing majority on the left this season. I'd imaging Zoggy wouldn't be anything special if he was played on the right. Were quick to forgive Zoggy for blunders, poor positioning and marking as he's not a defender, well big news is, Milner isn't a left winger!

Back on the right, bit of competition, in a 442, and Milner is a huge asset to the club. Right now he's helping out the team doing his best in a position thats not his own, some players kick off and hand in their transfer request when asked to do that, he's does what he's told.

If people can't see with their own eyes that he isn't good enough then fair enough. He did well under souness compared to the others in a poor team. Is that what we want? Likewise, he did well at villa in a side that did very poorly.

The kid does some decent stuff once in a while and is an asset as sub. If he in the first team in Jan we are looking for mediocrity. If he there next August we are looking for trouble. Certainly I would like to see us have greater ambition than a player who is unlikely to win an England cap despite the national side having the poorest group of right wingers we have had in a long time. Certainly nobody outstanding is holding him back from that first cap never mind squad call up.

If course that isn't the only barometer. Perov's display might have been though. He did f*** all in the matdch except score and set up the crucial goal with pace, power and a fast accurate cross. all the things James is incapable of. We need someone who can combine both. Of course we aren't going to get someone like that. However, given a lazy talented b****** who pulls it out of the bag (Petrov, Ginola, Robert etc) or a hard working but limited kid who can't run then there is no contest. Talent wins matches more often than not. Not meandering graft without end product. So far this season James has produced nothing of note. The reason? He isn't capable of it on a regular (and at the minute even occasional) basis. Not many are. Can we afford that?

It's very little to do with systems. He has more space with this system than enough. Sadly, he has no idea how to use it. On Saturday he was three on three with acres to go into on 3 occasions. Not unfamilar. He doesn't have th craft, pace or guile to make use of it. If the system is to work we need someone to do that. Good players do it in any system.....

But Pie says he's shit.  Who you going to believe?

Pie.

In this order: (on age, wage, availability & ability)

1st

Babayaro

Carr

Pattison

Ramage

Ameobi

Emre

Smith

Butt

Owen

Duff

Viduka

Harper

Last

Needs sold and replacing before we even think about getting rid of Milner.

[

If all that has gone, and been replaced with better, then yes, lets look at selling him and replacing him with someone better. Until then, lets support the lad who a decent player, and will only get better.

The majority of those are not going to be in the starting 11 when everyone is fit, I'd rather concentrate on improving that rather than getting rid of squad players as that won't improve us as much.

Out of our starting 11 when everyone is fit Milner will first choice down the right and is the one we should improve on first.

We need another right winger, if we play 442.

I get what you are saying, but we need a squad now, too much time and energy focusing on certain positions have got us nowhere in the past, with our luck with injuries, we need a squad before buying talented individuals, and in that we do need someone to challenge Milner, someone with pace, so we have a good option in that position.

Milner isn't holding us back, injuries and poor formations are holding us back right now. We saw what Milner was like under souness, who basically brought him on and told him to play, we saw what he was like under better guidance on loan, in a settled position, and then back here in a settled position. He's playing majority on the left this season. I'd imaging Zoggy wouldn't be anything special if he was played on the right. Were quick to forgive Zoggy for blunders, poor positioning and marking as he's not a defender, well big news is, Milner isn't a left winger!

Back on the right, bit of competition, in a 442, and Milner is a huge asset to the club. Right now he's helping out the team doing his best in a position thats not his own, some players kick off and hand in their transfer request when asked to do that, he's does what he's told.

It's nothing to do with him being on the left, he's just an average player with obvious limitations who offers very little over the course of 90 minutes, we've seen what N'Zogbia offers when pushing up on the left wing simply because he has the pace to get in behind the back four and can stretch games, we need someone down the right who can do the same if we want to form a decent counter attacking side as at the moment we're far too pedestrian.

Improving on our squad will come in time, the most important thing for us at the moment is to improve the starting 11 as that is where we're going to improve as a club, replacing squad players with better squad players will help if we have an injury crisis but the best possible team we could put out won't be any better.

Pie.

Several of the team have been there. Several of those we have sold recently have been. Even Alan Smith has (with 2 sides has been whilst playing lots of games for both). Milner isnt good enough for it and never will be. Good squad player. Hopeless this season.

Yes Smith who was the local hero at Leeds so played a lot of games although not all that many in his favoured position and was a roaring success at ManU.

The rest of your argument is so flawed its unreal. Bramble and Andy O'Brien played for a top 4 club in the champions league. I take it they are better than Milner aswell?

TT has it spot on.

How is getting rid of the likes of Pattison and Ramage going to improve our starting 11 when neither will be anywhere near the first team anyway unless we have a major injury crisis?

If you want to improve as a team then you improve on the starting 11, that way you push the players already in the starting 11 down to being squad players, getting rid of the likes of Ramage and Pattison would only benefit us if we either replace them with better squad players which won't improve the starting 11, or we replace them with better players than we've currently got in the starting 11 and pushing the likes of Barton and Rozenhal down to the bench.

If you look at our starting 11 then Milner is practically guaranteed a starting place down the right because he's got no competition apart from Smith and he can't play there, the right wing would be the first place I would be looking to strengthen because we're clearly short of quality there, bringing in someone like SWP or another quality winger with pace would massively improve our starting 11 because apart from the odd cross Milner is offering very little to our overall attacking play.

Weren't you one of those pushing for Geremi to be on the right? Does Milner have competition or not?

Pie.

TT has it spot on.

Weren't you one of those pushing for Geremi to be on the right? Does Milner have competition or not?

Allardyce clearly see's Geremi as his first choice central midfielder, pushing him on the right would be a short term solution while the transfer window is shut, long term he isn't the answer either.

Babayaro - Enrique, babayaro is now back-up

Carr - Beye, Carr is now back-up

Pattison - doesn't get in the side, especially when Barton and Emre are back

Ramage - likewise, expect to see edgar move ahead of him anyway

Ameobi - smith when played up top is a suitable replacement for Ameobi

Emre - We do need a creative midfielder

Smith - plays in the same position as Emre and Milner so buying a right-winger would replace him too, as a midfielder at least

Butt - Faye, also Geremi, Rozehnal, Smith (at a push) can play defensive midfield

Owen - Martins, Owen back-up/starts if properly fit

Duff - N'Zogbia and Duff mean left wing is sorted

Viduka - got another season or two in him

Harper - good enough back up

for me right wing is up there with a creative midfielder as positions we need to strengthen first, especially as there's only one player in the squad who sees that as his regular and natural position, and he is average. the other poor players in our squad don't get into the first team so replacing them would stregthen the squad while replacing Milner would strengthen the first team. other priority would be a top class youngish, centre-half but that is a longer term priority, we have four decentish centre halves that we can make do with in the short term.

Wot he said.

I'll add that I'd put Geremi on the right ahead of Milner.

All these "Get Rid" people.  Can you suggest someone we could realistically expect to replace him with.  And the price we'd have to pay to get them.

who said "Get Rid"? Milner would make a good back-up, someone to keep our first choice RW on his toes.

All these "Get Rid" people.  Can you suggest someone we could realistically expect to replace him with.  And the price we'd have to pay to get them.

who said "Get Rid"? Milner would make a good back-up, someone to keep our first choice RW on his toes.

Quite right. He's useful as a squad player but not good enough for a regular first team spot. Geremi is better on the right as he has proved down the years. Not the long term answer but still better at present. As for a suggestion? Not my job. Simply a supporter who knows who is and who isn't good enough. Milner isn't.

Plenty of folk to choose from who I am sure neither you nor I have never heard of tbh

That is the job of the scouting network and Sam Allardyce.

Quote from: johnnypd on Today at 08:39:41 PM

Quote from: Liam Liam Liam O on Today at 08:35:52 PM

Pie did here, didnt take much finding to be honest.

Quote from: Pie on September 29, 2007, 05:55:15 PM

Or complete shite. I'd love to know what the 'yawntastic' fan claims he has done this season.

Decent defending? Didnt two of the three goals come from the left? Isnt he meant to be a winger and where was he for two of the three goals of he is a decent defender? He is garbage. Get rid. too slow. Not good enough. By a long long way.

Milner wouldnt be content to stay as a squad player, so not playing him will ultimately mean getting rid of him anyway.  I'll ask again, who will we replace him with?

(Fucked up the quoting, couldnt be bothered to do it again)

Milner wouldnt be content to stay as a squad player, so not playing him will ultimately mean getting rid of him anyway.  I'll ask again, who will we replace him with?

That depends how much we've got to spend, I'd be tempted to try and get SWP from Chelsea if the new coach has plans on bringing in someone new.

I wouldn't be worried about losing Milner either if he didn't want to stay and fight for his place, it's the team that matters and not the individual.

Or complete s****. I'd love to know what the 'yawntastic' fan claims he has done this season.

Decent defending? Didnt two of the three goals come from the left? Isnt he meant to be a winger and where was he for two of the three goals of he is a decent defender? He is garbage. Get rid. too slow. Not good enough. By a long long way.

(f***** up the quoting, couldnt be bothered to do it again)

Of course I could counter that by a multitude of posts pointing out to Gejon that I would keep him as a squad player. His performance on Saturday was appalling. A passenger and deserved that outburst. Lots said in the heat of the moment.

On that point even Gejon would have to conclude I have said the former.

Please read the reply to who we will replace him with. The answer is simple. Someone who can run and someone who can cross a ball. Man City managed for a relatively moderate sum. I am sure Sam and his scouting team can do likewise. Personally I don't have, nor have had, nor ever will have had  FM so my scouting network is limited.

However, I will content myself with the thought that there are better out there. That is obvious.

If you feel that it is my job to replace him then agree it with Sam, recompense me and I will take a few hours off and get to work on it. Shouldn't take long.

Or complete s****. I'd love to know what the 'yawntastic' fan claims he has done this season.

Of course I could counter that by a multitude of posts pointing out to Gejon that I would keep him as a squad player. His performance on Saturday was appalling. A passenger and deserved that outburst. Lots said in the heat of the moment.

Please read the reply to who we will replace him with. The answer is simple. Someone who can run and someone who can cross a ball. Man City managed for a relatively moderate sum. I am sure Sam and his scouting team can do likewise. Personally I don't have, nor have had, nor ever will have had  FM so my scouting network is limited.

However, I will content myself with the thought that there are better out there. That is obvious.

If you feel that it is my job to replace him then agree it with Sam, recompense me and I will take a few hours off and get to work on it. Shouldn't take long.

Good answer - someone.  Perhaps you could have said "anyone" to broaden your choice and reveal what you really think.  You must have one or two suggestions.  I'm just interested to know who they are?

That depends how much we've got to spend, I'd be tempted to try and get SWP from Chelsea if the new coach has plans on bringing in someone new.

I wouldn't be worried about losing Milner either if he didn't want to stay and fight for his place, it's the team that matters and not the individual.

Indeed. I'd happily have him here but prefer it if he had limited opportunities. i.e behind two blokes who can run and cross a ball at pace and with power and accuracy. If he wants away I'll give him a lift though.

Nobody has to come up with a replacement or a guess at a fee for a replacement to hold the opinion he isn't good enough for where we want to be.

Good answer - someone.  Perhaps you could have said "anyone" to broaden your choice and reveal what you really think.  You must have one or two suggestions.  I'm just interested to know who they are?

Have I been promited to scout? Magic. When's the money coming?

Who's better you mean? Where do you want me to start? Bentley? He's better but I would want better. SWP. Much better but again, I would have someone with greater stature. Petrov? In a different league at times and could easily play on the left or right to greater effect. Beckham on loan? Old but still a far better player. Your mam? Probably quicker but not sure about her ball skills. Ask your dad.

Nobody has to come up with a replacement or a guess at a fee for a replacement to hold the opinion he isn't good enough for where we want to be.

Agreed.

But presumably we'll need someone better?  I'm just interested that no one has come up with one reasonable answer to who we could replace him with.  Assuming we "get rid" who will we play there? 

And FWIW I dont see SWP coming here

Quite right

But presumably we'll need someone better?  I'm just interested that no one has come up with one reasonable answer to who we could replace him with.  Assuming we "get rid" who will we play there? 

Geremi is better on the right and I'm confident Duff will be too when he's fit.

Have I been promited to scout? Magic. When's the money coming?

Who's better you mean? Where do you want me to start? Bentley? He's better but I would want better. SWP. Much better but again, I would have someone with greater stature. Petrov? In a different league at times and could easily play on the left or right to greater effect. Beckham on loan? Old but still a far better player. Your mam? Probably quicker but not sure about her ball skills. Ask your dad.

No sensible answers, resort to insults.  Thats Pie

Geremi is better on the right and I'm confident Duff will be too when he's fit.

Thanks.  While I disagree about Geremi, Duff might be an answer I hadn't thought of.  Fair enough, a suggestion, thats all I wanted, not insults from Pie, who results to name calling when he has nothing of any substance to contribute.