Milner gets young player of the year award

Skirge

How recently has Geremi proven he is better than Milner on the right? Its like saying Duff is proven better on the left than N'Zogbia because Duff at his peak was a far better player than Zog currently is.

What does it matter at Duff's age? He's far from past it.

There's a good chance Duff will return better on the left than Zog, but these two players are the best for both flanks and I think Duff will adapt to the right better than Zog, hence I'd Zog on the left and use Duff on the right.

Also, I'm surprised everybody can't see that Geremi is a much better player than Milner.

From this season so far Geremi looks far from a "much better player than Milner".

The point about Duff was nothing to do with his age and more to do with the fact his fantastic performances down the left havent been seen for a while, same as Geremi although his performances haven't been seen for even long, thought that was obvious but there we go...

Having your favourites as always blinds you to the obvious, jon.

Getting the best out of footballers is a talent, they don't just turn on the style automatically, mate. Geremi and Duff are both better footballers than Milner and that's the bottom line.

Getting the best out of footballers is a talent, they don't just turn on the style automatically, mate. Geremi and Duff are both better footballers than Milner and that's the bottom line.

Well I have to disagree. Footballers do go off the boil so there is no gaurantee Duff will ever be close to the player her was and Geremi hasn't been a right winger for how long? Even at the smogs although they liked him I remember them often moaning about him going missing away from home.

Milner has been a lot better for us than Duff has

Oh and this point is complete bollocks, Martins has warmed himself to me (and I am sure a lot more Newcastle fans) more than Owen but I have often said when fully fit Owen starts ahead of him. Im sure Shak and a few others could back me up but I have questioned N'Zogbia's attitude and commitment in the past aswell but he has always been my first choice left winger when fit.

Honestly you are a clever bloke and obviously know more than the vast majority of this forum with your many years of experience so I don't see why you keep going back to making stuff up to support an argument.

I would be more than happy for Geremi or Duff to come in and do a better job than Milner to keep him on the bench. Neither of them have shown enough for me to think Milner deserves being kicked out of his position for them to have a try. I don't care what they did at Blackburn, Real Madird or Chelsea X amount of years ago, its here and now I am worried about and for that reason I would opt for Milner.

Milner has been a lot better for us than Duff has

So have some other players in glimpses, doesn't mean they're better footballers it just means that Duff hasn't had the best of luck with injuries and needs to kick start his career here. He's not over the hill and is a better player than Milner.

Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree and let time determine who is right.

Oh and this point is complete bollocks, Martins has warmed himself to me (and I am sure a lot more Newcastle fans) more than Owen but I have often said when fully fit Owen starts ahead of him. Im sure Shak and a few others could back me up but I have questioned N'Zogbia's attitude and commitment in the past aswell but he has always been my first choice left winger when fit.

Honestly you are a clever bloke and obviously know more than the vast majority of this forum with your many years of experience so I don't see why you keep going back to making stuff up to support an argument.

I would be more than happy for Geremi or Duff to come in and do a better job than Milner to keep him on the bench. Neither of them have shown enough for me to think Milner deserves being kicked out of his position for them to have a try. I don't care what they did at Blackburn, Real Madird or Chelsea X amount of years ago, its here and now I am worried about and for that reason I would opt for Milner.

Fair point.

By the way, after being puzzled by this for a long time I've now got my head around these constant accusations aimed toward me and others about "making stuff up." You think people are making stuff up when in fact they aren't.

I'm certainly not "making stuff up" in my earlier post. From your posts over a long time I believe you to be the type who has favourites and won't budge until it's slapping you around the face and is obvious to the whole world. If that's an incorrect judgement then that's all it is, incorrect. It's not "making stuff up" about you to support an argument. There is a difference.

Guest toonfan

well big sam likes him anyway.

Milner burn-out not an option

Sat 06 Oct, 11:15 AM

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce will not allow James Milner to burn himself out as he strives to make the most of his rich talent.The 21-year-old midfielder made 52 appearances for the club last season and has missed only one game to date this season as well as establishing himself as England's most-capped international at Under-21 level.

His performances have won him rave reviews, but Allardyce is keeping a close eye on the former Leeds prodigy as he prepares for Sunday's Premier League clash with Everton at St James' Park.

"James is so enthusiastic about his game that we actually have to stop him doing stuff, and that's always a problem," Allardyce said.

"It's quite a nice problem, but it is a problem because, at the end of the day, a young man of his age can still burn out mentally as well as physically.

"With the amount of games he played last year and then going into the European Under-21 tournament in Holland, he has had very little time off.

"We are always holding him back, we are always sending him in because we want him to get enough rest.

"James Milner's progression has been fantastic, but my side of it is the vast amount of games at 21 years old he has played.

"While he might look physically capable of doing that, I have to be aware of the burn-out situation.

"I am treating him very carefully at the moment and trying to get him to understand that, even as young as he is, one of the most important things is rest, not training, because the extra training could have a negative effect in the end.

"The rest and plenty of sleep with the amount of games he has gone through would be more beneficial for him than too much training."

That said, Allardyce is likely to call upon Milner once again on Sunday as his side attempts to bounce back from successive defeats by Arsenal in the Carling Cup and Manchester City in the league.

The Magpies boss is predicting big things for a man who resurrected his career on Tyneside last season after coming within minutes of joining Aston Villa on a permanent basis following a successful loan spell.

Allardyce said: "He is a terrific prospect and a lad who has come through the mill here.

"The club has tried to discard him twice - they loaned him out once and then tried to sell him the second time.

"He was maybe not so well-liked by the fans to begin with but, all of a sudden, he has come through all that.

"And although he is still only 21, he is performing in the Premier League to a very high level.

"People have forgotten just how young this lad is, but he has got vast experience in the Premier League now which means, in two or three years, he could be a really top player.

He's just using good menagement to boost the lads confidance, he done the same with Nicky Hunt at Bolton talking about him as a future England player etc. I don't care what Allardyce thinks of him either as I've seen enough of him to know he's average, it really is that obvious.

But Pie says he's shit.  Who you going to believe?

Pie.

Milner is average and the sooner we replace him in the starting 11 the better.

Could be said for a lot of the team. Especially when its people saying "well he wouldn't get into a top 4 side".

In this order: (on age, wage, availability & ability)

1st

Babayaro

Carr

Pattison

Ramage

Ameobi

Emre

Smith

Butt

Owen

Duff

Viduka

Harper

Last

Needs sold and replacing before we even think about getting rid of Milner.

[

If all that has gone, and been replaced with better, then yes, lets look at selling him and replacing him with someone better. Until then, lets support the lad who a decent player, and will only get better.

The majority of those are not going to be in the starting 11 when everyone is fit, I'd rather concentrate on improving that rather than getting rid of squad players as that won't improve us as much.

Out of our starting 11 when everyone is fit Milner will first choice down the right and is the one we should improve on first.

We need another right winger, if we play 442.

I get what you are saying, but we need a squad now, too much time and energy focusing on certain positions have got us nowhere in the past, with our luck with injuries, we need a squad before buying talented individuals, and in that we do need someone to challenge Milner, someone with pace, so we have a good option in that position.

Milner isn't holding us back, injuries and poor formations are holding us back right now. We saw what Milner was like under souness, who basically brought him on and told him to play, we saw what he was like under better guidance on loan, in a settled position, and then back here in a settled position. He's playing majority on the left this season. I'd imaging Zoggy wouldn't be anything special if he was played on the right. Were quick to forgive Zoggy for blunders, poor positioning and marking as he's not a defender, well big news is, Milner isn't a left winger!

Back on the right, bit of competition, in a 442, and Milner is a huge asset to the club. Right now he's helping out the team doing his best in a position thats not his own, some players kick off and hand in their transfer request when asked to do that, he's does what he's told.

I think a point in there was proven rather well today.

I don't think anyone has disagreed with you that Zog wouldn't be much good on the right, Milner however started at Leeds on the left, there was also a poll on here to see what people thought was his best position so claiming he's struggled because he's been out of position is an excuse. That wasn't the point though, the point was out of the likely starting 11 when everyone is fit Milner is the clear weak link down the right and we should be looking to bring in better. Btw he was poor today down the left and right and every weakness he had was on display.

I don't think anyone has disagreed with you that Zog wouldn't be much good on the right, Milner however started at Leeds on the left, there was also a poll on here to see what people thought was his best position so claiming he's struggled because he's been out of position is an excuse. That wasn't the point though, the point was out of the likely starting 11 when everyone is fit Milner is the clear weak link down the right and we should be looking to bring in better. Btw he was poor today down the left and right and every weakness he had was on display.

I was having a sly dig at SA more than anything.

Seems he think Zoggy can go down the right for some reason! ???

Midfield looked better when he wnt off. There is no way he can cross a ball the way Emre did for Owen. We miss that sort of delivery tbh

Guest Knightrider

was awful today and should be dropped for the next match.

Agreed, looks shot of stamina and confidence. Role tinkering can't be helping matters either. Play Geremi on the right and put Emre and Butt in midfield.

was awful today and should be dropped for the next match.

Agreed, looks shot of stamina and confidence. Role tinkering can't be helping matters either. Play Geremi on the right and put Emre and Butt in midfield.

and he played in the summer for england under 21s. probably should've been rested at the start of the season but we didn't have the players to cover for him.