Fitness Test?

Lotus

What is a fitness test exactly?

What does it involve?

How do players fail it without injuring themselves or aggravating an injury?

Does it have any element of cardio fitness at all?

Not with us by some of the signings we've made!

Isn't the fitness test some form of the bleep test, where by there are minimum criteria for players to be considered match fit? It's what I always thought at least. Failing a fitness test might not necessarily mean that the player has to take the test. Just being unable to undergo a test in the first place means the player has failed it.

I think...

Guest Stephen927

I'd imagine it would involve the likes of scans to see if there is a chance the player may suffer from a recurring injury and running to test things like heart rate.

When they do a fitness-test at matchday I don´t think they do a bleep test, that would be quite stupied. They probably do some start stop running and then judge how it looked.

I'd imagine it would involve the likes of scans to see if there is a chance the player may suffer from a recurring injury and running to test things like heart rate.

Probably

Isn't the fitness test some form of the bleep test, where by there are minimum criteria for players to be considered match fit? It's what I always thought at least. Failing a fitness test might not necessarily mean that the player has to take the test. Just being unable to undergo a test in the first place means the player has failed it.

I think...

i scored a 64% uptake on the bleep test, i think it was level 14 or 15 on the test itself :)

the test in it selv is ment too measure the oxygen level intake in the blood, wich determins fitness level

so it just tells the coach wether your fit or not!

Guest battyleespeed

I'm half speculating but my guess is that the fitness test is done before match and involves running, sprinting, turns, etc. I guess the players must meet specific requirements to pass the test or they are considere too unfit to play in match. Also with injured players it seems a way to test if they are properly healed. You get these reports every once in a while that some recovering player broke down in fitness test before the match.

Guest bluegeordie

I guess I've always assumed it wasn't a case of the fitness test, but of a fitness test, meaning that it could be tailored in a zillion different ways to fit the specific injury or condition that the player in question is coming back from (for instance, if they'd been out of action for a few days only, then the cardio aspect is barely relevant, and the test instead would seek to zero in on the specific site of the injury).

Basically though, it's just occurred to me that I think I'm dribbling shit ... but since it's now dribbled, I'll press "post" anyway, as I strive to reach the magical figure of 100 posts!

Bet you all can't wait for me to be able to start my own threads, given the quality of this one  :razz: 

Guest sombrero

exactly, sometimes players are signed while their injured so obviously they are accessed in a specific way, although i dont see how we found owen to NOT be prone to injury cause they got that one wrrrrrrongggg!! everytime i hear he is injured i just get less and less susprised and more and more annoyed about how he is all about england and not about newcastle. he is the only player that gets injured then they talk about how its bad for country more than club, no other player is spoken about like that, not even rooney in my opinion!

Yep, I doubt there is a standard test or even a set criteria too pass. I think most simply it's just a case of the medical team watching and monitoring the player while he does various things, and saying whether they think he is fit to play.

Also the player's views probably come into it as well, in a lot of cases.

Well i know they fitness tests involves scans of every kind, xrays to heart monitoring, and blood tests. All medical files are handed over as well, nothing is left unchecked.

The running about part happens 2-3 times depending on how strict the club is, but really is only a small part of the overall test.

I'm remembering all this from SSN's when they were talking about Beckhams medical when signing for Madrid mind.

True, but medicals are no doubt much more complex than pre-match fitness tests. I think pre-match tests are still fairly traditional in what they include, and the result is more a matter of opinion than science.

Ahh, misread what the OP was on about (even though i've been in this thread before) thought he meant medical for some reason.  :blush:

True, but medicals are no doubt much more complex than pre-match fitness tests. I think pre-match tests are still fairly traditional in what they include, and the result is more a matter of opinion than science.

Ahh, misread what the OP was on about (even though i've been in this thread before) thought he meant medical for some reason.  :blush:

To be fair it's not 100% clear, I just assumed it was fitness tests as in "Kieron Dyer faces a late fitness test..."  :parky:

Guest Hodgson09

As a sports scientist a fitness test generally involves an athlete performing some sport related exercises which are checked against their previous results. If they perform the exercise/s with the same result as previously they will be passed fit.

We would prefer it if we were allowed enough time to get the player in better than previous condition, because at their previous level they were about to get injured. This is the case for strains sprains tears, and ruptures.

The easiest example would be Oba Martins can run the 100m in 10.8 seconds, he gets injured and after his recovery period he undergoes a fitness test and he runs the 100m in 12 seconds. Well that would be a fail in our books and we would recommend further recovery and rehab, coaches however might not listen field him anyway and he gets injured again. Now if we got him running it in 10 flat we would be very happy and would recommend him to start.

Beep tests are used, there are heaps of tests used for assessing fitness but they are only useful if you know their previous level.

Hope that clears it up a bit for you.