Alan Smith

Dave

His best game for us so far, by far, today. As such he deserves credit.

Alright it didn't take much doing, but he was very good today IMO. Won a lot in the air, some clever touches to others and put Martins through a couple of times which should have resulted in goals.

As I've said before: up front or not at all. Let's hope Allardyce sees the same.

Then he went and got suspended. :lol:

Fortunately. Not that i feel it's his fault. Viduka, Owen and Martins will all be fit for Spurs - meaning Smith would have been squeezed into the midfield again. Possibly at one of Barton's or Emre's expense.

Guest Synthespian

Time for him to start playing up front.

Agree all round!

Maybe it'll be Martins and Owen up front.

But Owen will probably get injured!  :uglystupid2:

He had a good 25 minutes but faded after that, worked hard but the booking was inevitable, wouldn't have been surprised if he got sent off the way he was jumping into tackles.

The daft thing about the booking is that it looked as if he was only booked for mouthing off, not the tackle.

He's never a midfielder in a million years. He's a forward who works hard and he'll put himself about. He's not good enough technically to operate in the middle of the park. His tackling and passing aren't good enough but he can get away with it upfront. He did more today than his previous 6 games in midfield.

We've got midfielders and should be used up top whenever Viduka isn't fit. Ameobi shouldn't get a look in tbh. 

Guest jamesmartinsmith

He had a good 25 minutes but faded after that, worked hard but the booking was inevitable, wouldn't have been surprised if he got sent off the way he was jumping into tackles.

The daft thing about the booking is that it looked as if he was only booked for mouthing off, not the tackle.

When I was younger I used to get in a lot of trouble for being mouthy to the ref, I'm only 18 and even I have now almost grown out of it.

There was at least one perfectly good tackle that he got penalised for today. Unfortunately his reputation precedes him.

There was at least one perfectly good tackle that he got penalised for today. Unfortunately his reputation precedes him.

The tackle for the booking looked OK to me, I thought he'd got the ball.

I thought he was quite fortunate not to get sent off today tbh. All around me were up in arms when he got booked but I thought he cleaned the lad out and went straight through his ankle. :dontknow:

I thought he was quite fortunate not to get sent off today tbh. All around me were up in arms when he got booked but I thought he cleaned the lad out and went straight through his ankle. :dontknow:

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/811/peabodyfc0.jpg

:razz:

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/811/peabodyfc0.jpg

:razz:

:lol:

If Smith had have worn a blue shirt - the crowd reaction would have been the same. They would have been baying for a yellow.

Alright it didn't take much doing, but he was very good today IMO. Won a lot in the air, some clever touches to others and put Martins through a couple of times which should have resulted in goals.

As I've said before: up front or not at all. Let's hope Allardyce sees the same.

Agree he was very effective for us up front he was good at giving passes for the other strikers to score.

as you said.

You see Dave, I don't always only post that I'm right, when you get something right, I'll point that out too

:lol:

He'll still be of some use to us in midfield at times in my opinion.

Best position is upfront, but when we have someone in midfield like an Emre or Barton to try and create things going forward then Smith's game in midfield will be more worthwhile. Alongside Butt and Geremi, two holding players, there's no real use for him but with someone like Barton in there Smith could be useful.

Barton -- Geremi -- Smith

For away games would do alright if we're insistent on using the 4-3-3.

Would prefer us to stick with 4-4-2 and use him as an option up front, though.

Best position is upfront, but when we have someone in midfield like an Emre or Barton to try and create things going forward then Smith's game in midfield will be more worthwhile. Alongside Butt and Geremi, two holding players, there's no real use for him but with someone like Barton in there Smith could be useful.

He's a front player, end of really.

Why hameobi has played up front in Vidukas absence, with Smith in the squad, is an absolute mystery to me. Decisions like that would make me lost faith in Allardyce, and I wanted him for the job. Diabolical.

Why hameobi has played up front in Vidukas absence, with Smith in the squad, is an absolute mystery to me. Decisions like that would make me lost faith in Allardyce, and I wanted him for the job. Diabolical.

Yeah, just he's handy in an emergency like.

Suppose you could argue that we had nobody else to play in midfield recently, which is why Smith was used there. I'd have tried Milner through the middle myself.

Yeah, just he's handy in an emergency like.

Suppose you could argue that we had nobody else to play in midfield recently, which is why Smith was used there. I'd have tried Milner through the middle myself.

I'm trying to be positive about Milner. He's a good lad with a great attitude, but he lacks pace. So  I say to myself that Beckham also lacked pace, as did Nobby, but was so good at crossing and seeing things quickly they overcame it and became quality players, so I hope that Milner can also do it.

In truth though, I don't think he will be but I hope that I am wrong.