Alan Smith

Dave

Smith is an average striker who doesn't score enough to warrant a first-team place, and he's a crap midfielder to boot. the problem is he has nothing that makes him stand out, like viduka's touch and creativity, owen's goalscoring or martins' pace and power. he is strong but not a beast, he isn't slow but certainly doesn't have a burst of pace, he has a decent first touch and control but it's not amazing - he won't use it to create space, beat a player or outwit them with his first touch, can keep possession well but is rarely going to create chances, decent in the air but no zamorano, okay movement but not going to stretch teams like a bellamy. when you add that to the fact he's up there with the likes of ade akinbiyi in terms of goalscoring, he doesn't really amount to much. a jack of all trades, master of none. when all are fit he'll be strictly 4th choice striker, and will hold a similar position in midfield. the less time he gets on the pitch the better, which isn't saying a lot for a £6m player.

Spot on. Owen, Martins and Viduka although having certain flaws all have that certain something that can completely change a game. Smiths special ability is working really hard, for £6m we could have gotten 2 players that do that.

I don't buy this "Smith is versatile" rubbish either, he is a striker or just not in the team. He is a poor midfielder and can "do a job" the same that practically every outfield player would "do a job" in midfield. I have heard people say we needed him for his versatility but what about Geremi, he will cover just as many positions, do a better job at it and cost a lot less.

As said when he signed, the money could have been spent a lot better and unfortunately I don't think he is ever going to change my mind, would be nice if he did though.

I can't agree with you, Baggio, that Smith is s*** up front. As HTT says, he isn't a prolific goalscorer but he's a good front player, he is a genuine team player, and will bring good spirit and character to the dressing room - which we needed badly if you look back at the players we had last year - and he will do a lot more in away games than a lot of players. Away games get you 3 points just the same as home games.

And he is MILES and MILES better than Ameobi.

And people are still overrating Martins. Some of his misses are shocking, he lacks composure, and scoring the odd spectacular goal simply doesn't make up for missing so many easy chances.

The best strikers score the goals close to goal, that is what makes them the best strikers.

Oh please, Martins is a far better striker than Smith, you talk about his missing chances yet are talking up a player who has only managed 3 goals in nearly 100 games, you've even said it yourself that the best strikers are the one's that score goals close up, how do you rate a striker that doesn't score at all?

The difference for me is how you go about rating a striker, people are happy to knock Martins because they compare him to Owen and he's never going to be as good as him, yet who do they compare Smith to? How highly would he be rated if he was to be compared to Owen? The same high standards are not expected from Smith, it seems being better than Ameobi and how he performs in midfield is good enough for some people.

I also don't recall saying he's s*** up front, he's a s*** midfielder without doubt but he's an average striker.

Smith is more of a team player, he will do more in away games, and he will do more when the chips are down. This counts for something, I know you must realise that. In fact, it counts for a lot.

I doubt that Smith has played anywhere near those 100 games up front.

I'm not comparing Martins to Owen, that wouldn't be fair, Owen is one of the best in the world, and yet, I would sell him now for the right fee or a good fee while we can get it. Thats not a reflection on him, obviuosly, but indicative of how I feel he sees his future at the club and the fact he will be a free agent soon, and his injury record.

I would be very pleased if Owen signed a new contract, and i think he owes that to us, but I doubt he will.

I don't think he would offer more in an away game at all, you say away wins get you 3 points which is true however goals get you wins and a striker that doesn't score them isn't going to win you many, Martins on the other hand is probably our best striker away from home in that he's the one player capable of hitting teams on the break, which is probably the reason that all of his league goals have come away from home this season.

Of course all of those 100 games Smith hasn't been playing up front, however that statistic would be bad for a midfielder let alone a striker.

As I've said, Martins problem is people rate him against Owen, where as Smith is rated against either Ameobi or how he's been playing in midfield lately, expectations of him are low in the same way they were on Sibierski last season, I seem to remember Martins getting a harder time than him last season even though he was the far superior striker.

Hmmm.....  kinda like the lad in your avatar? 

Emre is a far better midfielder than Smith tbh, not even close.

I like Emre as well and agree that he's a better midfielder (not far better), but you've been s*** talking Smith for quite some time yet Emre hasn't done much for us in midfield either, has he?  A cracking goal against the scum and 2 more against Everton and Reading. 

I'm just trying to illustrate that Smith isn't as bad as you're making him out to be when there are other players who need to step up as well.

Unfortunately for myself I've had to sit through performances from Smith as a midfielder and he really was that bad, I haven't been "talking s***" about him at all I've been telling it how I see it from my seat in the gallowgate.

Well, yes you have as it seems you've got nowt good to say about one of our players who gives his all.  Now, if we only payed 2-3mil for him would you be having such an issue with him?  I think not.  If we payed Luque money for Emre he'd be in the Dutch league as well. 

You don't like Smith, I do.  End of, really. 

I don't see why its a problem if people have an issue with Smith costing £6M.

Me neither, we could afford it and Big Mike obviously wanted his name on the back of his Kit.  ;)

Could we afford it? We weren't exactly one of the big spenders this summer.

Smith is an average striker who doesn't score enough to warrant a first-team place, and he's a crap midfielder to boot. the problem is he has nothing that makes him stand out, like viduka's touch and creativity, owen's goalscoring or martins' pace and power. he is strong but not a beast, he isn't slow but certainly doesn't have a burst of pace, he has a decent first touch and control but it's not amazing - he won't use it to create space, beat a player or outwit them with his first touch, can keep possession well but is rarely going to create chances, decent in the air but no zamorano, okay movement but not going to stretch teams like a bellamy. when you add that to the fact he's up there with the likes of ade akinbiyi in terms of goalscoring, he doesn't really amount to much. a jack of all trades, master of none. when all are fit he'll be strictly 4th choice striker, and will hold a similar position in midfield. the less time he gets on the pitch the better, which isn't saying a lot for a £6m player.

Spot on. Owen, Martins and Viduka although having certain flaws all have that certain something that can completely change a game. Smiths special ability is working really hard, for £6m we could have gotten 2 players that do that.

I don't buy this "Smith is versatile" rubbish either, he is a striker or just not in the team. He is a poor midfielder and can "do a job" the same that practically every outfield player would "do a job" in midfield. I have heard people say we needed him for his versatility but what about Geremi, he will cover just as many positions, do a better job at it and cost a lot less.

As said when he signed, the money could have been spent a lot better and unfortunately I don't think he is ever going to change my mind, would be nice if he did though.

agree, saying he is versatile is like saying N'Zogbia can play at left-back, even tho he was awful at the defensive side of the game when playing there. sure he can fill in now and then in a crisis but i'd hardly consider him versatile.

Saying that, in some ways i think Smith makes a better partner for Owen than Viduka, as his movement is a lot better than the big man's and he'd help create space for owen, rather than be competing for similar space in the middle.

I don't see why its a problem if people have an issue with Smith costing £6M.

Me neither, we could afford it and Big Mike obviously wanted his name on the back of his Kit.  ;)

Could we afford it? We weren't exactly one of the big spenders this summer.

Wouldn't have bought him if we couldn't, no?  We spent right, not big. 

End of?! Jesus wept Bonk lad, have you seen him in midfield for us?! Whether you like him or not doesn't take away from the fact he's been abysmal in midfield, he's done absolutely nothing for us in that position and even his biggest fans would be pushed to say differently.

Good player. His versatility is useful. Played well at the weekend. Not going to change a game on his own but that's not what his is here for. He is steady. He keeps the shape of the side very well indeed. He is far more disciplined in that than people give him credit for. He got slated for his play on the right, but there again, that isnt his position. However, he did a disciplined job there. We have a wide player who has done f*** all but some people seem to rate him.

People should concentrate on the real problems rather a fella who is not going to be guaranteed a game in midfield soon. He isnt first choice in that department but I'd have him up front certainly. Viduka is far too injury prone and I'm not sure I want to be relying on Shola. He worked very well with Martins.

In short, Smith is getting grief for the wrong reasons. If he wasnt there this weekend then its Ameobi. Allardyce wont play the two little one. That in itself is a different issue.

Of the two ex Leeds players (from their academy) he is in a different league to the spotty one.

Alex has touched a good point where he mentions partnerships. These are important, its not always the best individual skills that make the best player, but Smith alongside a prolific goalscorer would be a great partner for such a player.

Its not even about partnerships. The entire team played better with Smith dropping off and linkup up intelligently, as opposed to tussling with defenders (Viduka) or displaying clown like touches (Martins, Ameobi). Ball retention was higher, there were more team attacking moves, simply because we werent losing the ball as soon as it was played forward, and we looked a better unit all round as a result.

that is spot on.

Alex has touched a good point where he mentions partnerships. These are important, its not always the best individual skills that make the best player, but Smith alongside a prolific goalscorer would be a great partner for such a player.

Its not even about partnerships. The entire team played better with Smith dropping off and linkup up intelligently, as opposed to tussling with defenders (Viduka) or displaying clown like touches (Martins, Ameobi). Ball retention was higher, there were more team attacking moves, simply because we werent losing the ball as soon as it was played forward, and we looked a better unit all round as a result.

that is spot on.

Agreed

Better than Milner :lol:

What a surprise that YOU have to bring him up again though. Funny how he is "versatile" (your words) but we can't comment on his performance in midfield because its not his position. :lol:

Its fantastic we have such a good selection of firepower and striker options also judging by the amount of games Viduka misses Alan Smith even at £6 million will prove to be a very good buy. I also hope Big Sam continues with the policy of Viduka or Smith to partner Owen or Martins.

What a surprise that YOU have to bring him up again though. Funny how he is "versatile" (your words) but we can't comment on his performance in midfield because its not his position. :lol:

Far better footballer than Milner ever will be. Smith contributed more out wide than Milner has. Not much of a reference though.

Watch him off the ball (should you ever turn up a match) and you'll see what I mean.

Far better footballer than Milner ever will be. Smith contributed more out wide than Milner has. Not much of a reference though.

Watch him off the ball (should you ever turn up a match) and you'll see what I mean.

:lol:

Kicking people? :lol:

I turn up to matches Pie and can say that point is rubbish, I don't rate Milner but he's far better out wide than Smith was. Fwiw I have no problem with Smith coming in as 4th choice striker, whoever as I said it the time the money would have been better spent on pace and creativity down the right.

Well we didn't spend right this time imo, £6m could have been better spent than on one average striker.

Every other transfer I am more than happy with, this one though was a bit of a waste.

You don't know that.  Sam had said he was having some difficulty signing players.  Smith might have been

a last resort and Sir Alex wasn't going to let him go for any less than £6m.  Still, considering what the Mackems

spent on a certain player, it could have been worse.

Baggio, who has been FAR BETTER than Smith?  Do tell.  There hasn't been enough consistent play out of any of our

players to say that Smith is that shit. 

Guest jimmy1982

Good player. His versatility is useful. Played well at the weekend. Not going to change a game on his own but that's not what his is here for. He is steady. He keeps the shape of the side very well indeed. He is far more disciplined in that than people give him credit for. He got slated for his play on the right, but there again, that isnt his position. However, he did a disciplined job there. We have a wide player who has done f*** all but some people seem to rate him.

People should concentrate on the real problems rather a fella who is not going to be guaranteed a game in midfield soon. He isnt first choice in that department but I'd have him up front certainly. Viduka is far too injury prone and I'm not sure I want to be relying on Shola. He worked very well with Martins.

In short, Smith is getting grief for the wrong reasons. If he wasnt there this weekend then its Ameobi. Allardyce wont play the two little one. That in itself is a different issue.

Of the two ex Leeds players (from their academy) he is in a different league to the spotty one.

:thup: Alot of people often underestimate the importance of that.

:thup: Alot of people often underestimate the importance of that.

shape and balance of the team is paramount.