Sam's not happy

Dave

Sam Slams Festive Fixtures

By Craig Hope

SAM Allardyce has slammed the Premier League's decision which forces the Magpies to play eight games during December.

The Arsenal home fixture, originally scheduled for August, will now be televised on December 5 meaning United kick-off their month with three games in eight days before a hectic schedule over the festive period.

And, with Big Sam's men playing just three times during November, the Toon gaffer is understandably furious at the fixture changes.

"It's an absolute disgrace," he said.

"We play four games in 15 days at the start of December and then they expect us to play four more in just 10 days at the back end of the month.

"By the time this month is over we will have played just three games in total, and then the same again in November.

"That's six games in two months and then eight in just one.

"During December there will be a massive 24 points at stake, which could make a massive difference to the outcome of the season.

"Why they have done this is beyond me, but all I know is that every one of our requests to the Premier League has been turned down."

United now face two trips to the capital either side of Christmas when they face Fulham on December 15 and Chelsea on December 29.

And Allardyce was quick to criticise the decision to make the Toon Army travel back from Fulham at a later time than previously planned with the Craven Cottage clash moved to a 5.15pm kick-off for live television coverage.

"I can't work out why they have made our fans go to London at one of the most expensive times of year to play there twice," he added.

"And it will be difficult for them to get back from Fulham with the new kick-off time.

"The fixture list gives us no time to recover for our FA Cup Third Round tie, not to mention the fact that we will lose up to five players at the start of January for the African Cup of Nations, in Geremi, Habib Beye, Abdoulaye Faye, Oba Martins and possibly Matty Pattison.

"We are one of only two nations now in Europe who don't have the mid-season break, and I think it needs to be looked at."

Over a fifth of the season's matches in a ninth of the season's time. :idiot2:

I'm certainly against having a break for Christmas, because having games on the 26th and 28th is great and is part of the British folklore and tradition.... but this is a bit over the top...

Guest maddog2

there is no CL and UEFA in december, but i don't agree with sam... it's the same for other teams.

and matty pattison is a south african first teamer?

there is no CL and UEFA in december, but i don't agree with sam... it's the same for other teams.

Not true, there are 2 rounds of group games in the UEFA and 1 round in the CL, plus a round of the Carling Cup.

I've never understood the call for a winter break. How is squeezing the games into less time meant to help anyone? Fair enough, spread the games out more evenly across October and November but why stop playing for a while in December/January?

Presumably they'd reduce the number of teams in the premiership at the same time?