(G14) As I predicted...

Parky

....G14 are threatening to go it alone and are setting up to take on Platini regarding the CL.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/11/02/sfnbon102.xml&CMP=ILC-mostviewedbox

Exclusive: Arsenal plot European boycott

By David Bond

Last Updated: 1:00am GMT 02/11/2007

Have your say      Read comments

Arsenal are leading calls for a boycott of the Champions League by Europe's biggest clubs unless Uefa president Michel Platini scraps his controversial reforms for the competition, The Daily Telegraph has learned.

The 18 clubs which make up the G14 are threatening to set up a breakaway European Super League unless Platini backs down over his pledge to open up the Champions League to more countries from smaller nations.

They also want him to shelve his proposals to allow the winners of domestic cup competitions, including the holders of the FA Cup, entry into Europe's premier club tournament.

A final decision is due to be made by the Uefa executive at a meeting in Lucerne, Switzerland, on Nov 30. But frantic negotiations are already under way between the leading clubs and leagues in Europe to persuade Platini to drop his controversial reforms.

The Daily Telegraph now understands that Arsenal are the prime movers in the plot to go it alone, in the event that Platini refuses to negotiate and drives through the changes.

:angel:

If they go it alone then I would like to see them banned from all domestic competitions. These clubs have there strength from being the domestic powers. Most of them would become weak in a Euro Super League if they adotped a standard 18 team league. They would more than likely have to format it  like the NFL.

If they go it alone then I would like to see them banned from all domestic competitions. These clubs have there strength from being the domestic powers. Most of them would become weak in a Euro Super League if they adotped a standard 18 team league. They would more than likely have to format it  like the NFL.

Aye, see how much their fans like them being banned from domestic football and the FA Cup, Premier League, etc. Would serve the greedy cunts right too.

Why shouldn't the winners of the main domestic cup be awarded a Champions League spot?

There's a lot more prestige to winning the FA Cup than there is to coming 4th in the League.

FA Cup CHAMPIONS

or

4th placed runner up

They could always award the Champions League spot to the 4th placed team if one of the top three win the FA Cup

Well done Parky. You "predicted" something that's been almost inevitable for a couple of decades. Your powers have not failed you and you are vindicated.

If you bother to do your research on here you'll see I was universally panned on these here boards as a loon for suggesting plans afoot for a breakaway league especially by the likes of Victoria Toon. :laugh:

Well done Parky. You "predicted" something that's been almost inevitable for a couple of decades. Your powers have not failed you and you are vindicated.

If you bother to do your research on here you'll see I was universally panned on these here boards as a loon for suggesting plans afoot for a breakaway league especially by the likes of Victoria Toon. :laugh:

These "plans" don't amount to a hill of beans, Parky. Platini is simply playing with his train set and will capitulate instantly.

These "plans" don't amount to a hill of beans, Parky. Platini is simply playing with his train set and will capitulate instantly.

But it shows intent you'd agree? Not sure about Michel Plantation (one of my fav characters) capitulating without a fight imo.

If the G14 broke away from Uefa/Fifa and set up their own league, not only would they not be able to participate in domestic competition such as the FA Cup etc, but the players would be unable to particape in international Euro competition or World Cups.  I can't see it happening tbh.

Personally I'm against this, I agree with the previous comments about banning them from playing in domestic leagues.

I also think that if they are starting up their own league outside Fifa/Uefa's jurisdiction then their players should also not be allowed to represent their countries as they are not playing for approved clubs/leagues which I know will quite possibly be a controversial idea.

on the topic on the G14 about time they had a name change isn't it?

:blush: I thought it was just a typo and you were all talking about this lot:

http://www.carlisle.gov.uk/carlislecc/images/g4_pic.jpg

Why shouldn't the winners of the main domestic cup be awarded a Champions League spot?

There's a lot more prestige to winning the FA Cup than there is to coming 4th in the League.

FA Cup CHAMPIONS

or

4th placed runner up

They could always award the Champions League spot to the 4th placed team if one of the top three win the FA Cup

Agree with ya there

Aye i thought about those things but i just wondered why, i mean why exclude others? Its football and no matter what they still have to work within FIFA and UEFA regulations, it just seems abit pointless to me.

Aye i thought about those things but i just wondered why, i mean why exclude others? Its football and no matter what they still have to work within FIFA and UEFA regulations, it just seems abit pointless to me.

Basically it's a self-serving group created to challenge Uefa's power in the interests of its members. It basically issued Uefa with the ultimatum of having an expanded Champions League like the format we now have or them going alone with their own Euro league. And, if the reason(s) aren't obvious, it's about the members making money. One way or the other. And while I agree with PCW1983 in principle, it won't go back to being just the national champions competing.