(G14) As I predicted...

Parky

Why shouldn't the winners of the main domestic cup be awarded a Champions League spot?

There's a lot more prestige to winning the FA Cup than there is to coming 4th in the League.

FA Cup CHAMPIONS

or

4th placed runner up

More prestige & your classed as winners but finishing 4th in the Premier League is harder.

Why shouldn't the winners of the main domestic cup be awarded a Champions League spot?

There's a lot more prestige to winning the FA Cup than there is to coming 4th in the League.

FA Cup CHAMPIONS

or

4th placed runner up

More prestige & your classed as winners but finishing 4th in the Premier League is harder.

Unless you're NUFC ;)

FA Cup CHAMPIONS

or

4th placed runner up

Unless you're NUFC

What NUFC do would influence my decision .

The Champions League has been a success and I wouldn't want to see lesser teams included just so that particular countries are represented. That idea died with the old European Cup and I wouldn't want it brought back.

The only thing wrong with the Champions League is we're not in it.

The Champions League has been a success and I wouldn't want to see lesser teams included just so that particular countries are represented. That idea died with the old European Cup and I wouldn't want it brought back.

That's the way I see it aswell.  I really look forward to watching the CL on telly.  It wouldn't be the same with sh!te teams in it.  The argument that only the champions should qualify was lost a long time ago.  The competition is better than it's ever been imo.  I don't see the point of changing the best club competition in the world because of some outdated notion of fairness and equality.

Better than your prediction about us finishing above Arsenal this season Parkster.

Reading issues?

Not Reading, Parky. Arsenal.

Arsenal. :razz:

Yes they are the cunts who are messing with Platini. I knew you'd get there.

Better than your prediction about us finishing above Arsenal this season Parkster.

Reading issues?

Yes, that I haven't read the thread.  I've only really read the title of it.

I take it, it's an ironic title or you were just being provocative to invite responses?  Nowt wrong with that though TBF, more entertaining than reading the same old opinions.

Reading issues?

Yes, that I haven't read the thread.  I've only really read the title of it.

I take it, it's an ironic title or you were just being provocative to invite responses?  Nowt wrong with that though TBF, more entertaining than reading the same old opinions.

:thup:

What you might see is Blatter and FIFA agreeing to support the G14 so as to put Yuffa in its place

With a bit of luck we'll finish up like Boxing  - NUFC might even win the World Parky Football Association CL......................... 

That's the way I see it aswell.  I really look forward to watching the CL on telly.  It wouldn't be the same with sh!te teams in it.  The argument that only the champions should qualify was lost a long time ago.  The competition is better than it's ever been imo.  I don't see the point of changing the best club competition in the world because of some outdated notion of fairness and equality.

Too many games waters down their impact, and it will only get worse.

For my money, the old 2 leg system beats the crap out of this league system which is only there to bring in more money for more clubs.

For my money, the old 2 leg system beats the crap out of this league system which is only there to bring in more money for more clubs.

...and make doubly sure the big clubs don't slip up.

...and make doubly sure the big clubs don't slip up.

precisely. Success my arse, financially maybe, but it only warms up when it gets to the knockout stage. Meanwhile, we get less, and less, and less, and less Saturday afternoon games to go with it .........

There will never be a European league - I'm fairly certain of that.

It would be impossible to balance promotion and relegation from domestic to Euopean leagues.  They would have to create a separate league without the option of dual representation in both leagues- and I doubt that clubs would survive without a domestic presence.

There will never be a European league - I'm fairly certain of that.

It would be impossible to balance promotion and relegation from domestic to Euopean leagues.  They would have to create a separate league without the option of dual representation in both leagues- and I doubt that clubs would survive without a domestic presence.

I don't know, it could, but it may be a while off. It may be inevitable in the end. One thing for sure is there is no way back to the old way, and for me you can't beat Saturday afternoon kick offs. I don't fancy playing bread and butter league games one week on a tuesday, the next on a thursday, the next on a sunday, the next on a monday, and THAT is what I predict will happen one day.

Pay per view TV and increased coverage has destroyed football, its continuing. I've never paid for one pay per view game, I always said I wouldn't and I haven't. I have subscribed to sky sports for years, and thats all. If Newcastle play away and its on pay per view, I go to the pub and get a few pints for the money and watch it there instead.

I prefer it the way it is now, you don't.  Motives aside there's not a lot of point in discussing it further - we're not going to agree  :thup:

I prefer it the way it is now, you don't.  Motives aside there's not a lot of point in discussing it further - we're not going to agree  :thup:

OK, but the next obvious comment, is that the only people who benefit from more NUFC games being moved for TV, are those who

don't go to many games.

Not being funny either mate, but do you have experience of the old style european competitions ?

I bet you die of boredom watching all those drab Champions League group games, where you can actually lose a couple of games and still go through in what is supposed to be a "cup competition".

Not being funny either mate, but do you have experience of the old style european competitions ?

I bet you die of boredom watching all those drab Champions League group games, where you can actually lose a couple of games and still go through in what is supposed to be a "cup competition".

The old  European cup was not better than Champions League imo. But to do this they have: killed off the Cup Winners Cup, devalued the UEFA cup.

I always preferred the UEFA cup growing up as there were more quality teams in it than the European Cup.

Also a belated happy birthday NE5 :thup:

OK, but the next obvious comment, is that the only people who benefit from more NUFC games being moved for TV, are those who

don't go to many games.

I never saw Dundee Utd in the European Cup because that came too soon for me.  I went to see them in the Uefa cup in the late 80s and early 90s though.  It was fab but we've never been in the group stages of either competition since they were introduced so I can't comment on it from a partisan point of view.

From a neutral point of view, I prefer watching the big teams more often.  I like the format more than I liked the old straight knockout format.  You obviously don't so it's no use us arguing that point.

The old  European cup was not better than Champions League imo. But to do this they have: killed off the Cup Winners Cup, devalued the UEFA cup.

I always preferred the UEFA cup growing up as there were more quality teams in it than the European Cup.

Also a belated happy birthday NE5 :thup:

in terms of quality of football, I agree that it is still the top competition mate. However, as the old competition used to contain champions only, there are now weaker teams in it, in fact lots of weaker teams.

What I'm saying is the drama of the old knock out system knocks spots off the league system.

And the Cup Winners Cup was a good trophy in its own merit. The situation now is that the premiership and the Champions League appear to be the only 2 trophies that some teams consider to be worth winning, and I find that extremely sad, and the whole situation is completely because of the increased Champions League greed for money league.

Thanks for the happy birthday  :celb: