them 1-1 Us - 10/11/07 - Official match thread (Post-match reaction from p15)

midds

No laughing matter. If Allardyce fails, I'll hold my hand up and say I was wrong about him. Plenty of people agreed, but there you go. Shame you can't acknowledge the possibility of the owners lacking the same ambition may have some substance to it though.

I don't see money spent and automatically call it ambition, all of the noises coming from inside the club suggests  ambition and we did spend more money in the transfer window than we've done since Souness was manager so I'll wait and see.

Actions speak louder than words. Someone of your age should know this by now. This was discussed elsewhere, quite a few people who don't like Shepherd - and I've never said that I do for that matter - acknowledged that they had ambition. Whether you can't bring yourself to admit it or not, its the truth. Its also the truth that the new board have proved nothing yet.

On a bright note, Faye was top-notch in the 1st half today :thup:

yes, he was. He was man of the match until he went off.

I agree. Mind you, he really was left it all to do by Rozenhal.

Faye was good, dodgy ball back to Rozehnal which led to the corner and goal though.

I know. That's what I was going to say - he had a great game until I realised that :lol: so replaced it with "first half"

Faye was good, dodgy ball back to Rozehnal which led to the corner and goal though.

I know. That's what I was going to say - he had a great game until I realised that :lol: so replaced it with "first half"

Commentators really laid into Rozehnal about that which I thought was a little harsh, only seen it the once but the ball from Faye really didn't give him many choices.

Shit tatics from Allardyce? Who would of thought.

You can't say that!

Give him time etc etc. :giggle:

glad you think its funny.

Anyway, I bet Andy Gray's praise of Smith is pissing you right off   :clap:

I thought you didn't judge Smith when he played in midfield?

Oh, I don't. I already know he's an asset to the club. Still think your previous remark is funny ?

Why shouldn't I find it funny?

More shocking tactics and players played out of position yet people are still trying to justify what he's doing.

As for Smith, decent first half but done nothing in the second half except go on a run and tripping over his own feet. mackems.gif

why shouldn't you find it funny ? How sad. Pathetic in fact. Good supporter aren't you  :clap:

As pretty much everyone on here except you agrees Smith had a good game, it tells its own story.

You wanted Allardyce BTW, didn't you ?

Oh, NE5 trying to make out someone isn't a good supporter because they were laughing at people trying to justify Allardyce's bizarre tactics, talk about clutching straws. mackems.gif

As for Smith, I've said he had a decent first half, so did Scott Parker in that position when we were over ran but that didn't mean he was a good enough either, I'll bookmark this though for when you say you don't judge him on what he does in midfield though. O0

As for me wanting Allardyce, I would have took him back when Souness left and I wasn't against him when Roeder went although I wanted Sven or Houllier, are you saying I can't criticise him now because of that? Going by that logic you can't criticise Mike Ashley as you were happy that he took over and couldn't wait to sell your shares to him, even at a 33% loss. :laugh2:

You're a sad lad.

One thing I have NEVER done, Matthew, is laugh at this club, even when it was really in the doldrums and run by shite directors, far worse than being in the top half of the top league.

Can't imagine why someone laughs at the club who says they support the club. Never mind admitting it, especially against the mackems. Thats one hell of an admission.

I don't mind losing money on my shares, I can bear the small loss, I quite liked owning them, there was never anything to stop you buying some in the club you say you supported ? Care to tell us why, just think of the profit you would have made ?

That's right NE5, I must be a real shit supporter because I posted a  :giggle: at people defending Allardyce by saying give him time when it was 0-0.

As for buying shares, why would I want to? To make a big loss on them like you did when you sold yours? That doesn't seem like a good investment opportunity to me.

You couldn't wait to sell yours though, even at a big loss so don't complain if he doesn't back the manager.

Talk about dodging the issue  :lol:

I don't think anybody who bought shares when they were issued expected to make money, I didn't, do it doesn't matter to me. I bought them because I wanted to own shares in the club that I support. As I said, I can bear a loss on them, its of little consequence. You also failed to read where I said, you could have bought them when the price was low and would have made a profit.

Tut tut.

I suddenly get a feeling you aren't much of a supporter of the club, if you see it as in investment, it certainly points that way, it isn't something that ever crossed my own mind. Nor has spending money on the club in any shape or form, ever.

Whatever. I hope you read this, this time. But if you don't understand, it says quite a lot.

How many shares did you buy when they were going cheap?

Also trying to make out someone isn't much of a supporter because they didn't buy shares is again clutching at straws, you thought I was enough of a supporter when you pm'd me asking me to be a moderator on your forum. mackems.gif

Faye was excellent and has been the rock we've needed at the back for a while.

Taylor on the other hand was a liability when he went into the centre Jones just brushed him aside for the one chance he had.

This is a worry I've had about Rozehnal from the start. When he was alongside Taylor I pointed out that Roz left Taylor to do most of the work, yet most people were only too happy to hammer Taylor and praise Roz. I guess new players get the benefit of the doubt, and Taylor wasn't flavour of the month at the time. Now Roz is alongside Faye and it's happened again. Faye has ended up making a blunder, but in fairness to Faye he had it all to do today.

owen is a fucking joke

barton likewise

two players who bring you nothing but will always get a game

Taylor only in the side to show some geordie passion

Shite Rb

martins did more in 8 mintues than owen did in 82

Big sam needs to upset a few more people than he is doing

You can't say that!

Oh, I don't. I already know he's an asset to the club. Still think your previous remark is funny ?

More shocking tactics and players played out of position yet people are still trying to justify what he's doing.

As for Smith, decent first half but done nothing in the second half except go on a run and tripping over his own feet. mackems.gif

why shouldn't you find it funny ? How sad. Pathetic in fact. Good supporter aren't you  :clap:

As pretty much everyone on here except you agrees Smith had a good game, it tells its own story.

Oh, NE5 trying to make out someone isn't a good supporter because they were laughing at people trying to justify Allardyce's bizarre tactics, talk about clutching straws. mackems.gif

As for Smith, I've said he had a decent first half, so did Scott Parker in that position when we were over ran but that didn't mean he was a good enough either, I'll bookmark this though for when you say you don't judge him on what he does in midfield though. O0

As for me wanting Allardyce, I would have took him back when Souness left and I wasn't against him when Roeder went although I wanted Sven or Houllier, are you saying I can't criticise him now because of that? Going by that logic you can't criticise Mike Ashley as you were happy that he took over and couldn't wait to sell your shares to him, even at a 33% loss. :laugh2:

You're a sad lad.

One thing I have NEVER done, Matthew, is laugh at this club, even when it was really in the doldrums and run by shite directors, far worse than being in the top half of the top league.

Can't imagine why someone laughs at the club who says they support the club. Never mind admitting it, especially against the mackems. Thats one hell of an admission.

I don't mind losing money on my shares, I can bear the small loss, I quite liked owning them, there was never anything to stop you buying some in the club you say you supported ? Care to tell us why, just think of the profit you would have made ?

That's right NE5, I must be a real shit supporter because I posted a  :giggle: at people defending Allardyce by saying give him time when it was 0-0.

As for buying shares, why would I want to? To make a big loss on them like you did when you sold yours? That doesn't seem like a good investment opportunity to me.

You couldn't wait to sell yours though, even at a big loss so don't complain if he doesn't back the manager.

I don't think anybody who bought shares when they were issued expected to make money, I didn't, do it doesn't matter to me. I bought them because I wanted to own shares in the club that I support. As I said, I can bear a loss on them, its of little consequence. You also failed to read where I said, you could have bought them when the price was low and would have made a profit.

Tut tut.

I suddenly get a feeling you aren't much of a supporter of the club, if you see it as in investment, it certainly points that way, it isn't something that ever crossed my own mind. Nor has spending money on the club in any shape or form, ever.

Whatever. I hope you read this, this time. But if you don't understand, it says quite a lot.

Also trying to make out someone isn't much of a supporter because they didn't buy shares is again clutching at straws, you thought I was enough of a supporter when you pm'd me asking me to be a moderator on your forum. mackems.gif

I already had some. Why would I buy more ? Like I said, I'm not rich enough to have bought out the Halls so I was happy with what I had. I can categorically say that if I hadn't had any, I would have bought some at any time, although I can't prove that.

The notion that you saw them as an investment, rather than owning a part of the club, is revealing. I really couldn't care less,  but backed up with the fact that you think its funny I lost money when I couldn't care less, and you think its funny that the club is struggling with selections and performance against the mackems of all people, also tells me something. You are right, by the way, me and wacky thought you were a good supporter of the club and would be a good poster on the board, and a good mod when we hoped and it looked like some good posters were going to come on board.  Shame you can't take it when someone disagrees with you, and you like to drag up other people's posts but don't like it done to you, and fly into a strop. Never mind.

I didn't think we were as bad as some of you were making out.

The Mackems definitely had the first half - no question. But I felt the second half was about even.

It was never going to be a brilliant game technically. Derbies are physical and blood and thunder affairs, this was no different.

However, I agree that we appeared to be going for a draw, which is a dangerous thing to do. We've been caught out like a few times this season.

I'll settle with the draw as a result, and as the game panned out, I think it was the fair result, but to actually go out there and play with the intention of a draw is a big no no.

Guest trainer

Personally i think Taylor is becoming a liability, no pace and no brain, cant see him becoming the player i thought he would a year ago

This is a worry I've had about Rozehnal from the start. When he was alongside Taylor I pointed out that Roz left Taylor to do most of the work, yet most people were only too happy to hammer Taylor and praise Roz. I guess new players get the benefit of the doubt, and Taylor wasn't flavour of the month at the time. Now Roz is alongside Faye and it's happened again. Faye has ended up making a blunder, but in fairness to Faye he had it all to do today.

Interesting points OML. I would say that a central defensive partnership should have a player that attacks the ball, and a partner that covers the space and reads the game. I quite liked Rozenhal on the basis that he is the latter, and thought he read situations, took responsibility and held his position well, etc etc. The fact that he is very happy and comfortable on the ball is a bonus tbh, but nice to be.

We most definitely are better off at centre back than we were last season, on an individual basis, but are still leaking goals. But don't you think its part of the partnership that the cover player lets the attacking player go for the ball first where possible ?

The Mackems definitely had the first half - no question. But I felt the second half was about even.

It was never going to be a brilliant game technically. Derbies are physical and blood and thunder affairs, this was no different.

However, I agree that we appeared to be going for a draw, which is a dangerous thing to do. We've been caught out like a few times this season.

I'll settle with the draw as a result, and as the game panned out, I think it was the fair result, but to actually go out there and play with the intention of a draw is a big no no.

We showed a lot of grit, which is something. Maybe once we would have lost games like this ie under Souness and in the end, Roeder. But the way to win these games - same as against Derby, Wigan etc is to have talented players in midfield and up front playing controlled possession football.

I think this is the part where Big Sam has still to come to grips with his job. Working at a 'big' club does mean different approaches to games. Playing for draws against arguably inferior teams is not an option.

I don't think we were that bad. Sunderland were the better team who were fired up at home. The short spell after their goal proved what could have happened if we had put them more under preasure though.

You can't say that!

You're a sad lad.

Tut tut.

I already had some. Why would I buy more ? Like I said, I'm not rich enough to have bought out the Halls so I was happy with what I had. I can categorically say that if I hadn't had any, I would have bought some at any time, although I can't prove that.

The notion that you saw them as an investment, rather than owning a part of the club, is revealing. I really couldn't care less,  but backed up with the fact that you think its funny I lost money when I couldn't care less, and you think its funny that the club is struggling with selections and performance against the mackems of all people, also tells me something. You are right, by the way, me and wacky thought you were a good supporter of the club and would be a good poster on the board, and a good mod when we hoped and it looked like some good posters were going to come on board.  Shame you can't take it when someone disagrees with you and fly into a strop. Never mind.

Perhaps if you had bought more then you wouldn't have made such a huge loss when you sold them to Mike Ashley.

As for me seeing them as an investment, that's because that's what they would have been, how would the club have benefited if I had bought them when they were going cheap? Someone actually bought me one of those frame share certificates containing one share for Christmas a few years back so perhaps I'm a supafan after all.

BTw I don't think it's funny you lost money as you losing money was because the club has gone backwards since it was floated.

I think this is the part where Big Sam has still to come to grips with his job. Working at a 'big' club does mean different approaches to games. Playing for draws against arguably inferior teams is not an option.

Yeah, there might be something in that.

I'm not calling for his head. I think it's going to take time to sort things out. In a few months time, or a year or whenever I might feel differently, but for now, I think he has to be given a chance. I am generally still feeling positive (and I wasn't exactly overjoyed when Allardyce was appointed). There's a long way to go and there will be hiccups along the way, but I think what is needed right now is a bit of time and patience. This isn't a Souness or Roeder situation. I think if he can get to grips with managing a 'bigger club' then we can move away from the 'Bolton mentality', but it's going to take time.

ok! ill try a post again! :)

as i said after the port game, we need a proper passing game!

the only time in the entire game we took the ball down and started passing it was after we went down 1-0!, what happened? we applied instant pressure becouse sunderland players were running after the ball, instead of just waiting for it to land! long balls is useless if we dont have a counter attack style (wich we dont have) and we dont have the players to use it! (i dont think viduka is a long ball man no)

Second ball!

once again second balls are something were still not winning! again except from the 15 min sprint from our boys! i still think if we get the passing game sorted we would get in better positions to recieve the second ball further up the pitch!

something is for sure! we do have the players for a passing game in our midfield and in our strikers for sure!, a bit unsure about the passing game of our defenders as we always seem to lump that ball forward....

Harper, good game, but should have stayed on the line, or followed trough when he went out...(on the goal) seemed he got a bit hurt as after each goalkick he seemed to bend down and grab his stomach... or at least it looked like something was wrong!

Zog looked a massive treath going forward, but had no support in means of passing one twos with the other players, and therfore never got to far up the pitch to make something out of it!

Roz looked ok on the ball, bad decition to give the corner, but ok enough.

Feye looked a monster again, aldough had some problems with jones at times! lovely one footed tackle in the first half.

Taylor dont see why people have a tendency to get on his back again, i think he had a good game at RB, wich was about the only position who gave us anything going forward in the first half. and then was moved to CB wich i think he was very good at! contained jones very good, showed the type of aggression the entire team should have had! MOM

Barton, SHIT first half, better at second when he got a bit of space, as i said again, rest him for a match or two, get him fit and fired up! meanwhile play gerimi!

Smith invisible for almost the entire match, but when he had his game on he was quite impressive!

Emre strange game for him, lost almost EVERY duell, but patched up things with a bit of passing!

Milner Milners work rate is useless unless we pass a bit, that was shown in first half, second half much better and a fair goal for him.

Viduka One good pass for owen, rest of the game he was shit in my eyes, looked unfit.

Owen showed again what he can do with the ball, he just needs a bit of space! seems a bit dishearted, but who can blame him with all those long balls coming in!

martins, should have been brought on earlier, no doubt about that.

gerimi, not involved for the short time he was on

beye, should start next game, looked very good and up for it when he came on!

Trouble with the defence - as with the midfield and the attack to be frank - is that I doubt anyone in the league chops and changes as much as we do. Even Betitez tends to keep his back four reasonably consistent. There seems to be no reason to decisions like dropping Beye and Enrique. We shouldn't be dropping players on the basis of one mistake, otherwise you get a merry go round because players will always have good games and bad, and what's worse is that those two haven't even made those mistakes- ok Beye is still getting used to things but that's no reason to change your back four and as for Enrique, I think he's been one of our most consistent performers so far.

Isegrim is spot too about changing the system and the personnel to deal with the opposition. He has to stop doing it in your typical Premiership games,  let them worry about us instead of swapping things arund to "cope" with shite like Derby, Reading and this mob.

Is there any evidence that Milner is better on the right than the left? I don't think there's much to choose. Yes, he's right footed, but he creates just as much cutting in from the wing as going down the outside. And please note - our goal actually came from him cutting in from the left and hitting it with his right.

Zoggy is a tricky one. He looks better going forward from full back, and he often gets marked out of the game when he's further forward. On the other hand, he's very indecisive in defence, and often looks like he's leaving things to other people that he ought to deal with himself. I don't think Sam has made his mind up, but long term I think he's better off developing as a full back.