Should Allardyce have been given/spent more in the summer?

Parky

Guest optimistic nit

on your first point though, i am content with how much we've spent. west ham and citeh have both been throwing their money about. it will work for citeh, it wont for the hammers, but there are other ways to improve in this new world. we had a better squad than citeh but more off the field problems than you could shake a stick at. we needed sorting out good and proper and we're on the way to that now, but you can still see the shades of the debacle the previous lot left us with, and can we expect anything else, after less than 6 months?

Alan Curbishley isn't the most inspiring of managers, but you can't argue with signing players like Solano and Bellamy. Shame we didn't still have both of those players here.

We would be a different team entirely.

he only bought solano because dyer got injured though. aye i'd have bellamy, but he's done exactly what we did, give champions league wages and transfer fees (or better) to uefa cup players. its also the same as what sunderland and fulham did in the transfer window. spend ludicrous sums on players who aren't worth half as much because they are desperate and can't attract better. one thing i will say is that none of that happened to us. man citeh did everything perfectly. didn't buy overpaid wasters but good players, quite unkown most of them.

Actually, I don't think West Ham have spent much "net" to be honest, maybe because they've done well with getting so many of our ex players on the cheap, apart from Dire

But any club that wants to join the top 4 clubs has to match them. There are no budget short cuts. We got close and got in there for a short while because we operated like them, and that is the ONLY reason why.

no they don't, don't get me wrong they'll have to give some players 80grand a week or more, there's no getting round that depressingly, but they'll not be giving the dyers and bellamy's of this world that much money. i can't see west ham getting anywhere, they'll do well to finish top half, but i can see citeh breaking the top 4 by 2009/2010 or 2010/2011 if they match the improvement they've made this season every season. i think west ham will still be mid table then. in 2010 citeh will be paying a few players top dollar, if they have ambition, but it will be players with the desired quality.  we can do that as well if we manage it right. i don't think we've done that badly in august. more will need to be spent next august that last august, but we've got some good names in defence now at least, and we can build on that.

I don't really think that a smart cookie like Sven is thinking in terms of 2010 (after the start they've had) he's thinking of attacking the top 4 in 2008. We will see who they buy in Jan. Our main drawback in the window was the focus we had to give to rebuild the defence and that was right...But I am now beginning to see the price for not being a bit more bold in the market regarding the midfield. YOu don't have to pay off so much debt if the club starts generating more money by being successful on the pitch.

i think a smartie such as sven realises that while they've done increadibly well this good start is just that, a start. they may be third but they will not finish there at the end of the season. they struggled to beat sunderland at home and scraped a draw against pompey, plus the heavy defeat against chelsea and defeats at arsenal and blackburn iirc. they are in good form atm, but that will not last and by the end of the season they will need one of the top 4 to slip up big time for them to see CL football next year. i'm talking about them establishing themselves as a top 4 team, not merely finishing in the top 4. they wont do that this year, or next year imo, but the year after is possable, with significant investment. the same is true for us as well. we could be there in 3 years if we play it right. i know its unfair but citeh's good start counts for very little imo in the long run. they will not, in my opinion finish top 4 and if we put together a good run in jan (after investment and when our defence starts to get to know each other) we could end up in the same continental competioon as them at the end of the season. The African cup of nations could spoil that mind.

on your first point though, i am content with how much we've spent. west ham and citeh have both been throwing their money about. it will work for citeh, it wont for the hammers, but there are other ways to improve in this new world. we had a better squad than citeh but more off the field problems than you could shake a stick at. we needed sorting out good and proper and we're on the way to that now, but you can still see the shades of the debacle the previous lot left us with, and can we expect anything else, after less than 6 months?

Alan Curbishley isn't the most inspiring of managers, but you can't argue with signing players like Solano and Bellamy. Shame we didn't still have both of those players here.

he only bought solano because dyer got injured though. aye i'd have bellamy, but he's done exactly what we did, give champions league wages and transfer fees (or better) to uefa cup players. its also the same as what sunderland and fulham did in the transfer window. spend ludicrous sums on players who aren't worth half as much because they are desperate and can't attract better. one thing i will say is that none of that happened to us. man citeh did everything perfectly. didn't buy overpaid wasters but good players, quite unkown most of them.

Actually, I don't think West Ham have spent much "net" to be honest, maybe because they've done well with getting so many of our ex players on the cheap, apart from Dire

But any club that wants to join the top 4 clubs has to match them. There are no budget short cuts. We got close and got in there for a short while because we operated like them, and that is the ONLY reason why.

no they don't, don't get me wrong they'll have to give some players 80grand a week or more, there's no getting round that depressingly, but they'll not be giving the dyers and bellamy's of this world that much money. i can't see west ham getting anywhere, they'll do well to finish top half, but i can see citeh breaking the top 4 by 2009/2010 or 2010/2011 if they match the improvement they've made this season every season. i think west ham will still be mid table then. in 2010 citeh will be paying a few players top dollar, if they have ambition, but it will be players with the desired quality.  we can do that as well if we manage it right. i don't think we've done that badly in august. more will need to be spent next august that last august, but we've got some good names in defence now at least, and we can build on that.

I don't really think that a smart cookie like Sven is thinking in terms of 2010 (after the start they've had) he's thinking of attacking the top 4 in 2008. We will see who they buy in Jan. Our main drawback in the window was the focus we had to give to rebuild the defence and that was right...But I am now beginning to see the price for not being a bit more bold in the market regarding the midfield. YOu don't have to pay off so much debt if the club starts generating more money by being successful on the pitch.

yep mate, I agree again. Its all well and good saying re-build the club etc etc but football lives for today too, there is no time like the present for shooting up the league, bringing immediate rewards. Why not ? It can only help the progress.

Not being more ambitious has been a serious mistake. I only hope it isn't a permanent and deliberate policy. I think that all managers want the best first team as quickly as possible. They shouldn't be managers if they don't. It's quite amazing sometimes how people can get stuck in cliches and mindsets that suit what they want to believe. Simple fact is that, any manager worth his salt would buy top quality players asap if he is allowed to do it, without disregarding a financial responsibility to the club, but who is going to say that a club like Newcastle should restrict themselves to spending a fraction of what some of the other big clubs do, Champions League or not, if we want to join them.

One thing is for certain, if they do, they are going to have to learn from their mistake, and the manager is going to have make good judgements of his team and potential signings.

i think a smartie such as sven realises that while they've done increadibly well this good start is just that, a start. they may be third but they will not finish there at the end of the season. they struggled to beat sunderland at home and scraped a draw against pompey, plus the heavy defeat against chelsea and defeats at arsenal and blackburn iirc. they are in good form atm, but that will not last and by the end of the season they will need one of the top 4 to slip up big time for them to see CL football next year. i'm talking about them establishing themselves as a top 4 team, not merely finishing in the top 4. they wont do that this year, or next year imo, but the year after is possable, with significant investment. the same is true for us as well. we could be there in 3 years if we play it right. i know its unfair but citeh's good start counts for very little imo in the long run. they will not, in my opinion finish top 4 and if we put together a good run in jan (after investment and when our defence starts to get to know each other) we could end up in the same continental competioon as them at the end of the season. The African cup of nations could spoil that mind.

Sven will be very happy with his signings and the big difference, but he'll also know there's a big gap to bridge yet. You can only take things as they come. If his next 2 or 3 signings flop, he'll be under pressure.

Guest optimistic nit

Apart from Elano, I'm not sure I would have bought any of the other players Sven took to City tbh.

Corluka, Garrido, Bianchi, Fernandes and Boijnov i would have taken. i've mentioned before i don't rate petrov one bit. he's got a bit lucky so far imo, but his technique whenever i've seen him has been pretty poor.

So West Ham didn't spend much net either but managed to bring in players with pace, no doubt the players Curbishley wanted.

I think you've answered your own question there as to why we didn't bring players in with pace when you acknowledge Curbishley did with the same budget.

Anyway this thread is getting ruined so I won't be replying to you again.

Well, if you think Curbishley has better judgement than Allardyce, based on the fact that you are moaning on about Allardyce and his buys all the time, you should have touted Curbishley for our job instead of when you did Allardyce.

I've moaned about one of his buys in Smith who is shite and not worth what we paid, we need pace and creativity but I'm prepared to wait for it, Curbishley bought well but he also bought some poor players in Parker and Ljungberg, not everyone will agree with managers decisions.

I think if Allardyce does get time he will get it right, whether he can pick up enough points to keep him in a job beyond this season is another matter.

you're harping on about re-building with bricks blah blah blah....well, players like Smith put character, guts and spirit into your dressing room and club. Players like the Dire that you adore are the real "cancers" that should have gone years ago. This little shitbag has been saying for years how he owes the club and the fans .... blah blah blah .... 2 good games then back to his disappering act ....... he has talent, but he has gave the club almost nothing in 8 years.

Smith will give the club a lot more in his own way than Dire. You like the pretty footballers. Bollocks. Good players perform. Lets put it this way. Alan Smith will give you certain things and a level of performance - in his best position - for say, 30 games a season. You improve that by replacing with someone who will give you a higher level for 30 games or more, not a little shite who plays for 2 games then disappears for the next 10.

This is Kids stuff. I don't know why I bother with you. Oh aye, its because I'm responding to your moaning, interesting that others have commented on it.

So, if you think Allardyce will succeed, and he's building the club with "bricks", stop moaning on about him and his signings all the time. And nobody is interested in the Spurs bollocks either, which ruins threads by the way, and quite often is off topic.

I tell you something, he won't succeed - and by succeed I mean get into the top 4, minimum - if he doesn't target and be allowed to sign these top "trophy" players that you think are so terrible to have at the club.  :clap: and THAT, dear boy, is as nailed on and guaranteed a statement as you will find. And in your usual sneaky style, can drag it up in future anytime you like.

I know why you bother with me, it's because I told you to stick being a moderator on your shite forum up your arse.

Rejection is hard but it's a part of life, you need to forget me and move on with your life, it's for the best. :thup:

:lol:, thats funny. If you remember, we disagreed before too, however, if its such a shite forum, why did you agree  to be a mod ;D

You even got us entering the Fantasy Footall League, didn't you ? You obviously thought it was shite. Fact is, like I said before, you got a strop on because you didn't like the tables turned on you. Nor can you accept the truth that your chums edited my post that you found. I was banned on toonchat once before that, and your mate Chayton produced logs showing it wasn't the case, but it was. I can tell you that these things like editing posts don't show on the admin logs on invision, if you switch them off. The fact you think one post praising souness against hundreds saying the opposite is true, is hilarious ..... they have a history of this sort of thing too with others. Having edited my avatar, you are in no position whatsoever to say they haven't edited anything else.

Anyway, I'm this is the last time I'm saying this, as the old thread was locked.

Anyway, nice to see you attempting to start a forum yourself anyway Baggy  :clap:

Apart from Elano, I'm not sure I would have bought any of the other players Sven took to City tbh.

Corluka, Garrido, Bianchi, Fernandes and Boijnov i would have taken. i've mentioned before i don't rate petrov one bit. he's got a bit lucky so far imo, but his technique whenever i've seen him has been pretty poor.

None of the others have really stood out as much for me, it's all about accommodating them in the team and I don't think any of them are really any better than what we have, they're just being used better. Elano is a different class though and he's the one that pulls the strings for them, we're desperate for a player of his ability and we're suffering because of it.

I think we may see someone come in in January to fill that role.

So West Ham didn't spend much net either but managed to bring in players with pace, no doubt the players Curbishley wanted.

I think you've answered your own question there as to why we didn't bring players in with pace when you acknowledge Curbishley did with the same budget.

Well, if you think Curbishley has better judgement than Allardyce, based on the fact that you are moaning on about Allardyce and his buys all the time, you should have touted Curbishley for our job instead of when you did Allardyce.

I've moaned about one of his buys in Smith who is shite and not worth what we paid, we need pace and creativity but I'm prepared to wait for it, Curbishley bought well but he also bought some poor players in Parker and Ljungberg, not everyone will agree with managers decisions.

I think if Allardyce does get time he will get it right, whether he can pick up enough points to keep him in a job beyond this season is another matter.

you're harping on about re-building with bricks blah blah blah....well, players like Smith put character, guts and spirit into your dressing room and club. Players like the Dire that you adore are the real "cancers" that should have gone years ago. This little shitbag has been saying for years how he owes the club and the fans .... blah blah blah .... 2 good games then back to his disappering act ....... he has talent, but he has gave the club almost nothing in 8 years.

Smith will give the club a lot more in his own way than Dire. You like the pretty footballers. Bollocks. Good players perform. Lets put it this way. Alan Smith will give you certain things and a level of performance - in his best position - for say, 30 games a season. You improve that by replacing with someone who will give you a higher level for 30 games or more, not a little shite who plays for 2 games then disappears for the next 10.

This is Kids stuff. I don't know why I bother with you. Oh aye, its because I'm responding to your moaning, interesting that others have commented on it.

So, if you think Allardyce will succeed, and he's building the club with "bricks", stop moaning on about him and his signings all the time. And nobody is interested in the Spurs bollocks either, which ruins threads by the way, and quite often is off topic.

I tell you something, he won't succeed - and by succeed I mean get into the top 4, minimum - if he doesn't target and be allowed to sign these top "trophy" players that you think are so terrible to have at the club.  :clap: and THAT, dear boy, is as nailed on and guaranteed a statement as you will find. And in your usual sneaky style, can drag it up in future anytime you like.

I know why you bother with me, it's because I told you to stick being a moderator on your shite forum up your arse.

Rejection is hard but it's a part of life, you need to forget me and move on with your life, it's for the best. :thup:

:lol:, thats funny. If you remember, we disagreed before too, however, if its such a shite forum, why did you agree  ;D

You even got us entering the Fantasy Footall League, didn't you ? You obviously thought it was shite. Fact is, like I said before, you got a strop on because you didn't like the tables turned on you. Nor can you accept the truth that your chums edited my post that you found. I was banned on toonchat once before that, and your mate Chayton produced logs showing it wasn't the case, but it was. I can tell you that these things like editing posts don't show on the admin logs on invision, if you switch them off. The fact you think one post praising souness against hundreds saying the opposite is true, is hilarious ..... they have a history of this sort of thing too with others. Having edited my avatar, you are in no position whatsoever to say they haven't edited anything else.

Anyway, I'm this is the last time I'm saying this, as the old thread was locked.

Anyway, nice to see you attempting to start a forum yourself anyway Baggy  :clap:

Wizard started the fantasy football league, I'm just top of it at the moment. :coolsmiley:

The logs do show btw to other admin, they can tell if posts are deleted too and I don't believe the three of them are lying when you're known for bullshitting.

Anyway mate, what does it matter? We all get things wrong at times, just move on.

:lol:, thats funny. If you remember, we disagreed before too, however, if its such a shite forum, why did you agree  ;D

Wizard started the fantasy football league, I'm just top of it at the moment. :coolsmiley:

The logs do show btw to other admin, they can tell if posts are deleted too and I don't believe the three of them are lying when you're known for bullshitting.

Anyway mate, what does it matter? We all get things wrong at times, just move on.

I can assure you they do not, if you switch them off. I've moved on ages ago from Souness, I don't care about the post, only that - along with a few other people - I can't really be arsed with a message board that is run by wankers

It isn't me thats bullshitting. The only time I've bullshitted is going back to when I denied I had been Leazes, but there was a reason for that which I agreed with HTT, if you care to look around - like you do - you may find a post where I partly explained it to someone. Not that it matters too much now eh

None of the others have really stood out as much for me, it's all about accommodating them in the team and I don't think any of them are really any better than what we have, they're just being used better. Elano is a different class though and he's the one that pulls the strings for them, we're desperate for a player of his ability and we're suffering because of it.

Would you rather a RW or creative CM? Or both. And how much do you think they'll let Sam spend?

Would you rather a RW or creative CM? Or both. And how much do you think they'll let Sam spend?

I think that depends on what formation he wants us to play long term, if he plans on sticking with a 4-4-2 then I'd look to bring in a right winger who can stretch games, with a 4-3-3 I'd look to bring in a more creative force in midfield.

I can see him having £20 million to spend in January if the right players are available and I think he'll try and bring in 2 or 3.

I think that depends on what formation he wants us to play long term, if he plans on sticking with a 4-4-2 then I'd look to bring in a right winger who can stretch games, with a 4-3-3 I'd look to bring in a more creative force in midfield.

I can see him having £20 million to spend in January if the right players are available and I think he'll try and bring in 2 or 3.

Generally agree. Also Ashley will be keen to make a statement and stop the fiasco that is clearly unfolding.

Generally agree. Also Ashley will be keen to make a statement and stop the fiasco that is clearly unfolding.

I think the problem could be convincing the players he wants to come here, I think a few players will go too, Owen being the main one either in January or the Summer.

Riquelme would be a dream but I think we'll struggle to get him here, Crouch, Diouf, Edmilson, Jussi are all possibilities.

4-3-3 it'll be though.

The question in the thread title asks 'Should Allardyce have been given/spent more in the summer?'

I think he was given the money required to bring in the players that he wanted and they could get, as for should he have spent more, he's struggling to work with the ones he's brought in so the answer to that is probably no.

The question in the thread title asks 'Should Allardyce have been given/spent more in the summer?'

I think he was given the money required to bring in the players that he wanted and they could get, as for should he have spent more, he's struggling to work with the ones he's brought in so the answer to that is probably no.

So. Your conclusion is that Allardyce didnt' want to buy top quality footballers ?

And, do you think right sided players, such as that lad Bentley at Blackburn for instance, would have been turned down by Sam as a replacement for Solano [assuming you automatically assume the board would have stumped up the fee] if the board had said he had the money available to buy such a player.

Somehow, I think - again - I'm not really going to get an honest answer here, because it doesn't suit the "opinion"

What do you mean Parky? Do you mean he'll buy a "trophy" player, that Baggy despises ?

So. Your conclusion is that Allardyce didnt' want to buy top quality footballers ?

And, do you think right sided players, such as that lad Bentley at Blackburn for instance, would have been turned down by Sam as a replacement for Solano [assuming you automatically assume the board would have stumped up the fee] if the board had said he had the money available to buy such a player.

Somehow, I think - again - I'm not really going to get an honest answer here, because it doesn't suit the "opinion"

Why do top quality footballers have to be massively expensive?

I was delighted with the Summer's transfer activity by and large, and a big part of that was the fact he filled 99% of what we needed without spending silly money.

I was delighted with the Summer's transfer activity by and large, and a big part of that was the fact he filled 99% of what we needed without spending silly money.

yet we are not particularly any higher in the league, and not looking any better ?

Dave. Do you seriously think that Liverpool, Manu and Chelsea would be where they were if they didn't go out and buy top quality footballers for the big fees ? [you have to leave out Arsenal because Wenger is unique. In all my time I have never seen someone able to put together such quality teams for so little money, so he's a one off]

yet we are not particularly any higher in the league, and not looking any better ?

Dave. Do you seriously think that Liverpool, Manu and Chelsea would be where they were if they didn't go out and buy top quality footballers for the big fees ? [you have to leave out Arsenal because Wenger is unique. In all my time I have never seen someone able to put together such quality teams for so little money, so he's a one off]

But where we are in the league right now has absolutely fuck all to do with the personnel in my opinion, it's how we're using them (or not). Look at all the threads lately and since the start of the season, not all that many comments about the players we are missing (though some holes remain, everyone can see that); most are about the tactics, the formations, the selections.

Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea have/have had outstanding managers mate. We've got a man feeling his way into a much bigger task than he's ever taken on.

I could easily use Spurs this year as an example of how spending loads of money does nothing without the proper organisation. Or Leeds.

Or us.

Where did I say that Allardyce didn't want to buy top quality footballers? 

Why did you bring Bentley into this?  I must have missed something somewhere because he just looks like a random name dropped in from nowhere.

Liverpool, Man U and Chelsea did what we've done during the last window, they backed the decision of the manager.

So far I have yet to be convinced by the defenders we have bought (maybe aside from Faye and potentially Enrique).

Outside of Faye, none had premiership experience and when put under pressure have been found wanting in various departments.  We've only come up against two half decent teams so far - Man City and Portsmouth and they both put our defences to the sword.

Yes playing together regularly makes a difference but I'm not convinced some of these individuals are cut out for the Premiership.  A good example of that was watching the Man City v Portsmouth game on Sunday, at one point Benjani was one on one with Dunne for a 50/50 ball (Dunne who I don't rate massively), Dunne eased Benjani off the ball with ease, calmly turned around and passed it to a team mate.  I would not have had the same confidence with Rozenahl or Cacapa.  Maybe thats becuase they just aren't used to the premiership or maybe its because they can't handle the physicality of the premiership, one way or another it isn't good enough and by now I would have expected our defence to be playing better than they are.

Maybe that's down to Allardyce swapping and changing and that will have a factor but my gut feel is that we just didn't buy really good central defenders, we bought central defenders on a budget.  I think after an easy start we are being found out and with tougher games to come I'm worried.

As for what was spent on attacking players in the summer.......

without reading through the five pages and i apologise if i'm echoing someone elses views but allardyce regardless of how much he has spent has built a decent squad, shit tactics and first eleven selection is what is fucking things up.

But where we are in the league right now has absolutely fuck all to do with the personnel in my opinion, it's how we're using them (or not). Look at all the threads lately and since the start of the season, not all that many comments about the players we are missing (though some holes remain, everyone can see that); most are about the tactics, the formations, the selections.

Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea have/have had outstanding managers mate. We've got a man feeling his way into a much bigger task than he's ever taken on.

I could easily use Spurs this year as an example of how spending loads of money does nothing without the proper organisation. Or Leeds.

Or us.

Ever heard of the saying, if you don't shoot you won't score, Dave ?