If possible I would sell Michael Owen in Jan...

Parky

I don't care what Milner says. It was a bad pass that turned into a fluke goal through shambolic defending.

Yes, lets ignore what the the professional player says. Lets ignore the decent manager who picks the team.

After all, you really know more than they do.

So what´s your take on that goal? Was it a shot, in which case what´s Owen got to do with it? Was it a pass, in which case it was either a bad pass or Owen didn´t have the pace to get to it? I agree Gordon probably positioned himself for the way our strikers were set up, but you could argue that everybody inside the box at the time of the pass/shot had an effect on the goal. The only noteworty thing Owen did in the Sunderland match was make a good run on a Harper long ball and miss a chance he could/should (?) have scored for a player of his stature..

In regards to that Owen chance once he had to shift it onto his left foot the chance was gone ... because our world class striker has no left foot!

Martins would have hammered it ... might have ended up in row Z but he would have hit it and not passed it to their goalie and it would have had a better chance of going in.

That is assuming Martins has the same brilliant first touch control that Owen has, which is extremely debatable.

Really hasnt got a future with us anymore. Hes a crock with wages as big as his reputation, a player who has no place in Allardyce's preferred system where the central striker is more of a mobile battering ram than a quiet goal poacher.

Owen out, Huntelaar/Anelka in.

I don't care what Milner says. It was a bad pass that turned into a fluke goal through shambolic defending.

Yes, lets ignore what the the professional player says. Lets ignore the decent manager who picks the team.

So what´s your take on that goal? Was it a shot, in which case what´s Owen got to do with it? Was it a pass, in which case it was either a bad pass or Owen didn´t have the pace to get to it? I agree Gordon probably positioned himself for the way our strikers were set up, but you could argue that everybody inside the box at the time of the pass/shot had an effect on the goal. The only noteworty thing Owen did in the Sunderland match was make a good run on a Harper long ball and miss a chance he could/should (?) have scored for a player of his stature..

In regards to that Owen chance once he had to shift it onto his left foot the chance was gone ... because our world class striker has no left foot!

Martins would have hammered it ... might have ended up in row Z but he would have hit it and not passed it to their goalie and it would have had a better chance of going in.

That is assuming Martins has the same brilliant first touch control that Owen has, which is extremely debatable.

Please refer to his Manchester City goal please ...

I could refer to many other occasions in a match when his first touch is dreadful, only such things are unlikely to be shown in highlights packages.

I could refer to many other occasions in a match when his first touch is dreadful, only such things are unlikely to be shown in highlights packages.

My point is that he has that ability so who are you to say he wouldn't have brought it down?

I could point to occassions where Owens touch has been poor too.

Really hasnt got a future with us anymore. Hes a crock with wages as big as his reputation, a player who has no place in Allardyce's preferred system where the central striker is more of a mobile battering ram than a quiet goal poacher.

Anelka is probably the best shout of a realistic player who can attack the six yard line, which is what I feel we need. He'd be a good partner for Martins too.

Anelka is probably the best shout of a realistic player who can attack the six yard line, which is what I feel we need. He'd be a good partner for Martins too.

Basically we should have got Nico before he went to Bolton.

Basically we should have got Nico before he went to Bolton.

Souness wanted him but Freddy refused to pay the £8 million and splurged £16 million on Owen instead.

Brilliant ...

Said before, I hope Owen does go, to a team that can play football on the deck and he starts to rattle in the goals. Go as far as to say I wouldn't be  that bothered if he rattles them in against us. It' s absolutely absurd to have a player of Owen's ability and play everything in the air. But that's what you get with the myopic approach of Fat Sam and the grunts he's bought, especially at the back who seem to think that's the only way to play.

Sell Owen and good luck to him. Use the 10 mill or so and buy 5 more " players " at two mill apiece Sam, and the simpletons will call it building a squad. And use some of the money to get a third video monitor to sqeeze behind so you definitely can't miss the shambles on the field.

Oh....and a nother truck load or two of chewing gum in case you run out.

Myopic? Had a look in the mirror any time lately?

Haven't we all accepted now that no-one is going to pay anything for Owen in January? At the wages he is on, and with his injury history I doubt we would even be able to give him away, or even pay another club to take him. Unless he has become a philanthropist and is going to go somewhere for massively reduced wages  :nope:

Fact is he is going to be with us, this thread and all the Oba vs.  Owen thing is pretty irrelevant. Owen will be out, then Oba will be out (ANC), the two won't be competing for selection until mid february at the absolute earliest. By the time Oba comes back he'll have had ample chance to prove himself and whoever is in goalscoring form will start. If they both are, they both will start. If they both aren't we'll be in trouble and Sam will be be wishing he'd never left Bolton.

Owen is always injured - fact.

How can a manager get a team used to or a player used to a system when the player is always injured.

There is no value what so ever in keeping Owen - just look at his record here.

You certianly do not sack a manager for a player that has not even played 20+ games in two years.

How can a manager get a team used to or a player used to a system when the player is always injured.

You certianly do not sack a manager for a player that has not even played 20+ games in two years.

No I'm just saying with the nature of this club, and accepting that Viduka is our only other real goalscorer and is going to be injured fairly often as well, if those two dont score this year we are going to lose a lot of games and I think a bottom half finish will be the end of Sam. So Sam better delve into his much vaunted expertise in getting old crocks running again cus he has two in his forward line that will make or break his newcastle career (unless he buys a class striker in January but how often does that happen?)

No I'm just saying with the nature of this club, and accepting that Viduka is our only other real goalscorer and is going to be injured fairly often as well, if those two dont score this year we are going to lose a lot of games and I think a bottom half finish will be the end of Sam. So Sam better delve into his much vaunted expertise in getting old crocks running again cus he has two in his forward line that will make or break his newcastle career (unless he buys a class striker in January but how often does that happen?)

Or maybe he could just build around the rarely injured Martins, who will guarantee 15+ goals a season if given the games, and partner him with someone who can make up for Martin's deficiencies?

Or maybe he could just build around the rarely injured Martins, who will guarantee 15+ goals a season if given the games, and partner him with someone who can make up for Martin's deficiencies?

No that would just be too simple.  :lol:

As I said, if you bothered reading my post and didn't just jump to the conclusion it was another 'oba isnt skilled enough' generalisation, Martins will get a chance to prove himself, he has about 6 or 7 games I think until ANC duties, then a whole tournament there. Obviously he will get a solid run with Owen out it is a no brainer (assuming Sam has some kind of tactical part to his brain). I just observed that if he doesn't score any goals in this time, and if Owen also doesn't score any, then we are going to be in a pretty crappy league position come March.

Personally I think Oba will do a good job, nothing spectacular but enough to keep the points total ticking over at a reasonable rate. But we'll see. I'd love to see Sam have the tactical nous to change the formation and tactics to suit Oba, who is obviously our only fit PL standard striker currently. If he goes for a pacy, attack minded team that creates a lot of chances Oba will I think put some of them away, even if he misses most. Great. I worry that Sam will instead go for 'gritty' performances based of sending the ball long and lofted straight out of a deep defensive line to an aerial contest between Oba and any of the multitude centre halfs who are a foot taller than him, where Oba gets maybe one or two chances a game. I don't think that will suit him at all.

Guest Sniffer

It's the tactic Sam adopts with Owen so why would he change it to suit Martins who is marginally better in the air?

I'd say business as usual with our one dimensional approach.