The booing perspective - Joey Barton has his say on us...

Benwell Lad
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Our away fans are widely regarded to be among the best in the country and yet our away form has been awful for years, so Barton's comments just sound like poor excuses from a player who has yet to do anything for his new club. 6000 travelled to Blackburn today and gave the players and manager their full support. Somehow I doubt Barton will talk about that, because it severely undermines his point.

Thats not the point though is it? He was talking about the home fans. They are very very different to the away support in every conceivable way.

Our away fans are widely regarded to be among the best in the country and yet our away form has been awful for years, so Barton's comments just sound like poor excuses from a player who has yet to do anything for his new club. 6000 travelled to Blackburn today and gave the players and manager their full support. Somehow I doubt Barton will talk about that, because it severely undermines his point.

Thats not the point though is it? He was talking about the home fans. They are very very different to the away support in every conceivable way.

Ohme is trying to explain that Barton was using the crowd as a reason for the decline in performance, our away form shows that we're the problem not the fans.

Ohme is trying to explain that Barton was using the crowd as a reason for the decline in performance, our away form shows that we're the

problem not the fans.

So when are you going to start putting in performances that look professional as opposed to pub standard? ;)

A large majority of what he says is spot on, our fans really need to get a serious grip...

Playing as piss poor as we have boils down to two main factors: poor management and under performance, but at home in particular our fans can be our own worst enemy. How many times have you heard an ex-player/ manager comment on keeping the home side on a tight leash early on at St. James? It's a simple tactic and boils down to the fact that even after twenty minutes we get on the player's backs. In what way is that being productive? Getting behind the players and encouraging them them could repair what is a long-running problem but in the current situation too many fans have already made their minds up and have firmly boarded the "Sam is useless, too defensive, will never turn it around, etc..." bandwagon.

I can understand the perspective of the season ticket holder who has spent his hard earned cash as well, but booing the way we do is counter-productive. How can a anyone play with any freedom what-so-ever if he knows the crowd are going to jump on his back with the first mistake he makes? Surly anger can be vented pre/post-match? It makes you wonder why so many players choose not join the club, why would they in such a ridiculously pressurized environment? Some of the so called "boo boys" boo for the sake of it anyhow, they seem to float with the majority despite knowing why they're rejecting regardless.

It's about time we accepted we're not going to be winning week in, week out and we are going to have these blips in form...

Barton calling the fans vicious when he stubbed a cigar in a former team-mates eye is laugable.

What's laughable is your inability to read..

"I was walking down the tunnel with Peter Crouch and he turned and said: 'I have never heard a crowd so vicious.' To be honest it shocked me."

Barton himself isn't describing the fans as vicious, idiot.

Barton calling the fans vicious when he stubbed a cigar in a former team-mates eye is laugable.

"I was walking down the tunnel with Peter Crouch and he turned and said: 'I have never heard a crowd so vicious.' To be honest it shocked me."

My guess is half the people slating Barton haven't even read the article, they have skimmed it or even just seen the title and started the digs based on that.

“I came to the club expecting this famous crowd getting behind us, but I’ve yet to see that. Instead, it’s been vicious,” he said.

“I don’t think I’ve heard a crowd this vicious,” he said. “There is a fear factor. During the Liverpool game Peter Crouch came up to me and said the same thing. That shocked me. Our next home game is against Arsenal and if we go out there and are greeted with that sort of atmosphere we’ll lose again.”

yeah, he never said the crowd was vicious, and those who think he did can't read.

The quotes in the posted article suggest that he was describing the fans as vicious.

My guess is half the people slating Barton haven't even read the article, they have skimmed it or even just seen the title and started the digs based on that.

:lol:

My guess is that you're wrong and those slating him are the ones who have read the article.

I wouldn't blame anyone who did leave early and some booing was inevitable. The songs aimed at Allardyce by our own 'fans' was another matter for me though.

Correct.

That said, despair and disappointment has fired it.

We have played nothing so far, and even when we've played the middling sides we've been turned over big time.

Allardyce deserves a lot of criticism, the players deserve even more.

And the sick note wavers most of all.

And I'm not just talking about the white elephant Owen either.

Note - he didnt disagree - he was using someone else views to pass his own views off.

I believe you're the idiot in not seeing the obvious.

I came to the club expecting this famous crowd getting behind us, but Ive yet to see that. Instead, its been vicious, he said.

I dont think Ive heard a crowd this vicious, he said. There is a fear factor. During the Liverpool game Peter Crouch came up to me and said the same thing. That shocked me. Our next home game is against Arsenal and if we go out there and are greeted with that sort of atmosphere well lose again.

yeah, he never said the crowd was vicious, and those who think he did can't read.

The original article and interview in The Independent didn't carry those particular quotes but I daresay there's a certain degree of artistic license being used. I retract my vicious comment towards michaelfoster.

Note - he didnt disagree - he was using someone else views to pass his own views off.

I believe you're the idiot in not seeing the obvious.

Actually, he's using Crouch's comments to support and give weight to his own views, which he has clearly stated. There is a difference there, but I'll not make any vicious comments towards yourself.

I understand where Joey is at: he has moved club, his old club are doing a lot better without him, the new chap running the show at City scores & creates goals like he never will. We know Barton is mentally weak & has a lashing out mentality & this his anger release. I am taking it with a pinch of salt as I would rather he fired a broadside in the papers rather than kick an opponent & get sent off. Today we travel to Blackburn a ground if I remember correctly where the Man City fans chanted "YOUR NOT FIT TO WEAR THE SHIRT" now that's really viscous

What? So it's ok for you to hit your lass so long as your neighbour is beating her?

At what point did I say that?

You didn't, it's called an analogy. What I'm trying to get across is that you're condoning something which many find unacceptable on the basis that someone else has done/is doing it to a greater degree.

Comparing Barton battered ego because his previous employers & his replacement are doing much better than his current employer &  him to what you have said is a crap analogy. It is like saying just because you are happy with Sam even though he is doing some things wrong  , you would turn a blind eye to a paedophile if was only wanking young boys off rather than having full blown sex.

I understand where Joey is at: he has moved club, his old club are doing a lot better without him, the new chap running the show at City scores & creates goals like he never will. We know Barton is mentally weak & has a lashing out mentality & this his anger release. I am taking it with a pinch of salt as I would rather he fired a broadside in the papers rather than kick an opponent & get sent off. Today we travel to Blackburn a ground if I remember correctly where the Man City fans chanted "YOUR NOT FIT TO WEAR THE SHIRT" now that's really viscous

What? So it's ok for you to hit your lass so long as your neighbour is beating her?

At what point did I say that?

You didn't, it's called an analogy. What I'm trying to get across is that you're condoning something which many find unacceptable on the basis that someone else has done/is doing it to a greater degree.

Comparing Barton battereds ego because his previous employers & his replacement are doing much better his current employer &  him to what you have said is a crap analogy. It is like saying just because you are happy with Sam even though he is doing some things wrong  , you would turn a blind eye to a paedophile if was only wanking young boys off rather than having full blown sex.

:kasper: :-[ ??? :-[ :kasper:

Exactly.

He's suggesting the home fans are part of the reason players struggle here, but they've been crap away as well where the support is totally different. So is it really fair to blame the home fans when the players are crap away as well? Maybe it's just down to poorly coached teams and sometimes just poor players. The fact he mentions players like Kluivert (constantly injured when he was here) and Jenas undermines his point further. Shearer never had a problem performing, nor did many others down the years. They were playing in front of the same fans as Jenas and Parker.

Barton has a point about the booing, it's bloody silly but it is a rubbish excuse for underperforming players.

Yes the silly boy, fancy getting injured then taking time to get his fitness and sharpness back!

I've not got a problem with the boy getting injured mate.

I just wish he would think before he opens his mouth.  Either that or try delivering something to increase his stock before he starts having a pop - then people might be a bit more sympathetic to his point of view.

Jenas - Won Young PFA Player Of The Year, was made vice-captain & got capped for England while at NUFC

Parker - Was rescued from  the Chelsea reseves, got back in the England squad while at Newcastle & was made captain of Newcastle.

Paddy K - He was finished when we got him.

Jenas - Won Young PFA Player Of The Year, was made vice-captain & got capped for England while at NUFC

Parker - Was rescued from  the Chelsea reseves, got back in the England squad while at Newcastle & was made captain of Newcastle.

Paddy K - Looked good when played but was managed by a prick called Souness.

Fixed

look at spurs- 1 game away from top 4 2 seasons ago. last season they came 5th after a struggled start. now, they have fired their manager and got ramos in who was supposed to be a super hero. now, im not suggesting for a second he should be fired, but they just lost 3-2 at home to birmingham city, and their other results havent been that great have they? you cant get success instanty

then look at villa, pretty poor last season when they went through the middle of the season for ages without winning a game. finished 11th-12th ish (?) and now in top 6, looking upwards.

also everton and moyes.

watford and boothroyd went down last season, now look like winning the championship

basically, give big sam a chance and he'll come good.

look at spurs- 1 game away from top 4 2 seasons ago. last season they came 5th after a struggled start. now, they have fired their manager and got ramos in who was supposed to be a super hero. now, im not suggesting for a second he should be fired, but they just lost 3-2 at home to birmingham city, and their other results havent been that great have they? you cant get success instanty

then look at villa, pretty poor last season when they went through the middle of the season for ages without winning a game. finished 11th-12th ish (?) and now in top 6, looking upwards.

also everton and moyes.

watford and boothroyd went down last season, now look like winning the championship

basically, give big sam a chance and he'll come good.

Must say, I agree with this 100%.  Folks mention Hughes, O'Neill, etc as if they could simply step into the St James cauldron and transform us into a decent team.  But we haven't been a decent team for years despite having a squad stuffed full of well-paid international players. 

It'll take time to sort this rabble out - I'd expect Sam to faff around with formations and team selections through most of this season.  If nothing else, he finds out who can do a decent job for the team, who needs to be shipped out, and where to stengthen.  That's not something that can be figured out on the training pitch - it's only in the heat of battle (and the full glare of the supporters and media) this can be done properly.

Frankly, some of his selections are baffling, but I have faith he will get it right and we'll be a much better side...next season.