100 years of the PFA - every single league club's best ever player

Dave

The world list is a joke btw. Zidane better than Platini? Gullit better than Cruyff? Cafu better than Van Basten? Rivaldo better than Di Stefano? Etc., etc.

Zidane better than Platini isn't that bad a call imo. If anything, I think Zidane is slightly underrated in the all-time lists, mainly because he's so recent. He was an unbelievable footballer and did everything. Not that I'm trying to take away from how shit the list is mind.

Zidane better than Platini isn't that bad a call imo. If anything, I think Zidane is slightly underrated in the all-time lists, mainly because he's so recent. He was an unbelievable footballer and did everything. Not that I'm trying to take away from how shit the list is mind.

I think Platini was better but you're right in that it isn't the worst call on that list by a long way.

I'd say yes he was a great player, but he's overrated by a lot of more modern fans, which is not a surprise really as obviously he's someone they grew up watching.

Platini was better than Zidane though.

I'd say yes he was a great player, but he's overrated by a lot of more modern fans, which is not a surprise really as obviously he's someone they grew up watching.

Platini was better than Zidane though.

Zidane was better with the head tho innit?  :shifty:

Off topic-ish but guess who the world's best paid union representative is.

Gordon Taylor btw. Since no-one wanted to play :(

It was quite clearly implied in the question I thought.  :shifty:

I thought so, but wasn't sure. Never mind :lol:

As voted for by supporters: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A29619147

Selected results to include the other fans we have on here.

Arsenal        Thierry Henry

Aston Villa    Paul McGrath

Everton        Dixie Dean

Liverpool      Kenny Dalglish

Man City        Bert Trautman

Newcastle    Alan Shearer

Sunderland  Charlie Hurley

Tottenham    Jimmy Greaves

Watford        John Barnes

Greaves would always come 2nd in my best ever Spurs list but will always be a long way behind Dave Mackay imho.

Alan Shearer top of the pile for Newcastle?  If Milburn had used a modern ball instead of a heavy old leather lump, I reckon he would have outscored Shearer easily.  My mum's choice if she was still about would have been even easier .................. George Robledo. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I was expressing my opinion. Ok knobcheese?

Na. :tongue: You said...

I'd have Pedro above Shearer like from my lifetime.

as if there was some decision-making process involved. Or are you saying you'd have Beardo above Shearer in your own, personal Alex's List of Great Players? A list which, to be fair, would be even less meaningful than this one. :smug:

Well, I don't think stats work for assessing who is the best player but if Shearer gets it purely off stats, then how come Dalglish gets it at Liverpool? It's always skewed by whoever doing the list and how they apply the stats - i.e. that's their opinion. And surely Rush was more prolific and won nearly as much as Dalglish. If it takes into account more than just goals then surely Milburn gets it ahead of Shearer as he scored nearly as many and won three FA Cups. See what I mean? I was expressing my opinion re: Pedro though.

"as voted by supporters" - well I never got a vote and neither did all the people who are now deid

As far as I can see from all the folk I've ever talked to who watched at SJP since WW1 our list is:-

1,  Hughie

2.    Milburn

3.  Shearer

4.    McCracken or Scoular

5.    Len White

and the best keeper still plays there

It's based on stats, man. It's nowt to do with opinion.

The world thing is. The main bit was a vote.

I see. In that case, Alex is totally right and I'm an idiot.

Even the World thing is a bit odd for me if it's stats based. The stats still don't add up, e.g. Raul ahead of Di Stefano. Raul might be highest goal scorer in CL history iirc but Di Stefano scored in each of the first five European Cup Finals (on the winning side). He's ahead of Puskas too who won 3 European Cups, won the Olympic gold medal, lost a World Cup final and scored nearly a goal a game (including at international level). That's why I think the weighting of different aspects of the stats used is wrong. Obviously that's my opinion, just like whoever came up with the list has theirs. Also, Maradona winning the league (twice iirc) with Napoli is one of the greatest achievements in the history of Italian domestic football and doesn't compare to someone winning Lo Scudetto with Milan or Juve. Creates good talking points though.

I was only joking when I called you a knobcheese btw :thup:

"as voted by supporters" - well I never got a vote and neither did all the people who are now deid

As far as I can see from all the folk I've ever talked to who watched at SJP since WW1 our list is:-

1,   Hughie

2.    Milburn

3.   Shearer

5.    Len White

Not Tony Green or Pedro?

1,   Hughie

2.    Milburn

3.   Shearer

5.    Len White

Not Tony Green or Pedro?

green was ok but "great" - i think not

pedro .... tough call, probably would make an all time XI but not really top 5

and I never saw Hughie, Mcracken or Milburn play in a competitive match - I can say that people who saw Hughie, Milburn, WHite and Shearer ranked Hughie best

and, as I said they all reckon thet Given is about the best keeper we've ever had