The first goal

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

The first goal we concede seems to have massive implications on our mindset for the rest of the game. We all know that the first goal shapes the course of the game, very often leading to the team who go one up playing a more counter-attack style and the opposition having to push for the equaliser.

However my point is that we are having absolutely no luck whatsoever. You would expect to concede one humdinger 3-4 times a season against you, however these all seem to have happened in the last month or so.

Reading - Kitson - screamer top corner

Portsmouth - Pamarot - 30yd screamer, weaker foot, once in a blue moon, top corner

Liverpool - Gerrard - Screamer after a bad touch

Blackburn- Bentley - Probably free kick of the season so far

I am not trying to make excuses for Big Sam, but the run of goals we are conceding are uncannily top draw (barring Kuyts).

As a club we are down in all areas at the moment and really at our lowest ebb, when these things happen, however, things even themselves out over the course of a season

Hopefully :angel7:

The first goal we concede seems to have massive implications on our mindset for the rest of the game. We all know that the first goal shapes the course of the game, very often leading to the team who go one up playing a more counter-attack style and the opposition having to push for the equaliser.

However my point is that we are having absolutely no luck whatsoever. You would expect to concede one humdinger 3-4 times a season against you, however these all seem to have happened in the last month or so.

Portsmouth - Pamarot - 30yd screamer, weaker foot, once in a blue moon, top corner

I am not trying to make excuses for Big Sam, but the run of goals we are conceding are uncannily top draw (barring Kuyts).

As a club we are down in all areas at the moment and really at our lowest ebb, when these things happen, however, things even themselves out over the course of a season

Or our 'keepers have had their achilles heel firmly exposed.

As someone else aid yesterday we suffer more than our fair share of 'unstoppable' free kicks/long range shots.

Guest sicko2ndbest

As someone else aid yesterday we suffer more than our fair share of 'unstoppable' free kicks/long range shots.

I don't think wonder goals can be attributed to a goalkeepers achilles heal, i think it is just one of those things at the moment. Harper and Given are up there in terms of their shot stopping ability

You're looking for excuses to be honest.

Reading and Liverpool had us under the cosh and they were getting so much of the ball around our area that it was inevitable someone was going to get time, space and sight of goal. Both sides will rightly say the scoreline flattered us, so we can hardly point to bad luck. Those goals may have changed the game but then goals generally do, and we couldn't say they weren't coming.

Guest optimistic nit

I don't think wonder goals can be attributed to a goalkeepers achilles heal, i think it is just one of those things at the moment. Harper and Given are up there in terms of their shot stopping ability

we'll their certainly robinson's achilles heel.

given isn't bad at saving long rangers, but harper maybe. we also give too many freekicks away in dagerous areas.

Guest nufc 4 life

You're looking for excuses to be honest.

Reading and Liverpool had us under the cosh and they were getting so much of the ball around our area that it was inevitable someone was going to get time, space and sight of goal. Both sides will rightly say the scoreline flattered us, so we can hardly point to bad luck. Those goals may have changed the game but then goals generally do, and we couldn't say they weren't coming.

liverpool had us under the cosh granted, but they still only had a couple of shots until Gerrards goal

Given's postioning is at fault more often than not these days. He comes out too far cause he's a dwarf.

Super defence tbh.

Guest Ridzuan

At the end of the season when the list for goal of the season goes up,Im sure will be featured very much.Anyway,the first goal in every game is always important for both teams whether it is a fantastic goal or not.I dont know why but we seem to be conceding great goals in every game.In the games like Reading and Portsmouth,we only went on to play better football when we concede the first goal but I think in the last couple of games,we performed well from the start of the match and hopefully it will be the same case this Saturday.

Guest Steven_MB

Great goals happen when defenders give great players time and space, presssuring the Elano's, Gerrards and Lampards or the league is essential. I don't understand it though, at bolton his players pressured opposition loads, never giving them a moment to think!

Given's postioning is at fault more often than not these days. He comes out too far cause he's a dwarf.

A Dwarf? He's over 6 foot aint he?

My main concern with Given is the amount of times he comes running out and then gets caught out by someone having a go from range.