"Senior players revolt against Sam" story rubbished by Harper and Given

NSG

Telegraph

By his own admission, Sam Allardyce is "under the cosh" and last night the Newcastle manager publicly laid down the law amid the prospect of a dressing-room insurrection at St James' Park.

Ireland goalkeeper Shay Given is believed to have led a delegation who went to see Allardyce in the wake of the 3-0 defeat by Liverpool on Nov 24 to express concern at the club's direction. Tactics, personnel issues and the Christmas schedule were discussed in a full and frank exchange and Allardyce yesterday moved to reassert his authority.

"Yeeha," said Allardyce :lol: when the issue of potential discord was raised in a press conference at the Darsley Park training ground ahead of tomorrow's visit of Arsenal.

"Players are not happy about a lot of the stuff I do because they're players and I'm the manager. I'm the man who knows what's right for them and I know it more than they do. That's why I sit in this chair. It's immaterial.

"When you're having a bad time there are always elements and factors trying to make a big deal of things. Today's politically correct society believes that that's a disruption, but that's an everyday occurrence as a manager.

"Somebody will have a problem with something or other, whether it's how you go about the week, wanting to play, off the field. There's always something a player doesn't like. Some of it sneaks into the papers.

"Whoever did it might think it's making a point, but it will only make me more resilient and stronger. I just find it disappointing it ends up in the paper, but that's life."

The players are apparently unhappy at Allardyce's plans for the festive period but he is giving them short shrift.

"The whole scenario for me is that there's no point flying back here after Wigan [on Boxing Day] when we're playing Chelsea away [three days later]," Allardyce said. "That's the bottom line. It's not a training camp or anything else. It's just a plan we're putting forward. Once the players got hold of it and heard the whispers, it carried them on.

"There's going to be a huge demand on individuals over Christmas so we have to find time to allow players to recharge the batteries. Historically, I've done that and got a very good response.

"It relieves all the pressures, good and bad. Players wouldn't know what to eat or drink after games unless you told them. Once you tell them and persist, then all of a sudden they find out it's the right thing to do. People don't like it when they're taken out of their comfort zone, so you have to be persistent.

"At Bolton it was successful, like a trip to Dubai. When you start putting the right way forward, sometimes some of your players don't like it, but it's for the benefit of the team not for one or two individuals who don't like it."

Allardyce remains unfazed by suggestions Alan Shearer is being lined up as his successor. "I saw [club owner] Mike Ashley after the game on Saturday, shook hands and had a good chat with him," Allardyce said.

"I hope that shows the strength of the relationship we have but there's no point beating about the bush.

"Yes, I'm under the cosh and yes I've got to get results sooner rather than later and yes we're having a bad time in terms of results, but it can be turned around as quick as it's gone bad.

"If Alan decides to take my job, I hope it'll be when I've decided to leave because I've made the club successful and he'll be taking over a club that I've improved significantly, like what happened with Sammy Lee and Bolton, but if it's the other way then you have to live with it."

Guest nufc_geordie

Seems to me like Allardyce is developing the seige mentality now-the beginning of the end. If he starts making decisions based on him being stubborn and showing no compromise he will lose the players even faster. I hope for our sake it isn't the case because I fear for the clubs premiership status if Mr Shearer takes over this year in the position we are in. Let's face it, if Big Sam goes Shearer comes in! Hopefully Big Sam will turn it around. Forget tommorrow night, write it off, but if we don't pick up results against Birmingham, Fulham and Derby then we are in deep sh*t.

Why can´t player do what they are there to do so can the manager do what he is suppose to do. I hate when players think they know whats the best. Because they don´t!

I got the same experience from another team close to me in another sport and I can tell. They have not been successfull over the past few years.

I hope Sam can show who the boss is and if a player don´t like it he can leave the club!

Guest Darth Toon

Why can´t player do what they are there to do so can the manager do what he is suppose to do. I hate when players think they know whats the best. Because they don´t!

I got the same experience from another team close to me in another sport and I can tell. They have not been successfull over the past few years.

I hope Sam can show who the boss is and if a player don´t like it he can leave the club!

Exactly right - the manager has to have full authority or nothing will ever work.

Quite liking the combative stance he's taken with this, and the performance at Blackburn suggests he has more players with him than against him.

If anyone can stand up to the overpaid primadonna fairies that pass for Premiership footballers these days then Big Sam can - good luck to him!

To be honest it's probably more because it's Xmas and the players don't really fancy being away from there families from boxing day (in fact they will probably travel Xmas day) until 3/4 days after Boxing day.

3 examples:

Clive Woodward 2003

Brian Ashton 2007

Bobby Robson 1986 and 1990

In each case senior players raised concerns overe the way the team was playing and personell involved. The management agreed to work with the players to get the best out of them.

The results?

Rugby World Cup Winners

Rugby World Cup Finalists

World Cup Quarter Finalists and Semi Finalists.

Another example

Souness

Stubborn to the last.

You know how that went.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Players complaining about being away for a few days need to be brought into line, the reasoning for travelling direct to London from Wigan is sound.

Players complaining about tactics anf formations not getting the best out of individuals and the team should be listened to and ideas considered, if not necessarly implemented

Players complaining about being away for a few days need to be brought into line, the reasoning for travelling direct to London from Wigan is sound.

Players complaining about tactics anf formations not getting the best out of individuals and the team should be listened to and ideas considered, if not necessarly implemented

The game has changed and lifestyles have changed, family comes before football now for most players. The players seem to be complaining because they won't see their families over Xmas which is fair when they could just as easily fly back straight from the Wigan game and fly back down the day of the Chelsea game. Keeping them there makes no sense other than to make players unhappy. It's not a foreign country it's London there should be no ill effects from flying back and forward. Fine if it was just a normal week day but it's Xmas.

You could understand players missing there family at Xmas if they were away from home long hours and away for weeks on end the rest of the year, but infact they work half days and are away once every few weeks for the weekend.

You could understand players missing there family at Xmas if they were away from home long hours and away for weeks on end the rest of the year, but infact they work half days and are away once every few weeks for the weekend.

So that would make the kids happy at Xmas day when there dad goes off and leaves them for a week ?

So that would make the kids happy at Xmas day when there dad goes off and leaves them for a week ?

Well ive got kids and iam fairly sure mine would understand even at a you age, id hope they could see i was providing them with the best possible life in terms of lifestyle etc..

5 Live's talking point later this morning - Are Newcastle an impossible club to manage?

At the minute it would seem so.

Only if the manager isn't good enough.

Yes, he's better than Roeder or Souness. Yes, we need to show consistency and stick with a manager. But only the RIGHT manager.

As fans, there seems to be soem fucking stupid idea that anyone who wears balck and white, or manages the club, deserves no criticism, and is automatically top class. THEY AREN'T. And at the moment, there is a lot of criticism being justified of a number of players who are mid table quality at best, and a manager who is patently out of his depth.

I heard last night on Sky Fat Sam saying "its judged over 38 games not 14"......this follows his made-up stat about the best 10 game start ever, or soemthing stupid......and you're wrong, Sam - the SEASON is judged over 38 games. But a team and a manger are judged on a rolling basis on performance. And yours has been shite.

I'd like to know if he will resign if/when we are still 10/11th at 38 games. He's spent £25m, played HIS tactics, etc. But of course he won't. I can't blame him, if i got paid loads of money to do a job i wasn't up to, i'd milk it as well. But that doesn't make him any less full of shit.

I quite like the fact he's come out in the open and not tried to hide the fact there's players unhappy.

Having said that, if Souness had of I would have been slating him.

Maybe it's because I hope Allardyce has got more about him and can actually positively motivate the players as well as fall out with them.

One thing is for certain, the first team squad has needed a culture change for a long time and it needs somebody to stand up and let players know what is and isn't acceptable.

They're playing games with him now to see how far he can be pushed. I imagine they did the same with Roeder and he bottled it.

Its like 2/3 year olds pushing their parents to see what they can get away with.

Flog a few Sam, that'll show them. Even better, release them if nobody is interested. See ya Baba.

I quite like the fact he's come out in the open and not tried to hide the fact there's players unhappy.

Maybe it's because I hope Allardyce has got more about him and can actually positively motivate the players as well as fall out with them.

One thing is for certain, the first team squad has needed a culture change for a long time and it needs somebody to stand up and let players know what is and isn't acceptable.

They're playing games with him now to see how far he can be pushed. I imagine they did the same with Roeder and he bottled it.

Its like 2/3 year olds pushing their parents to see what they can get away with.

Flog a few Sam, that'll show them. Even better, release them if nobody is interested. See ya Baba.

Get them all in a small room and then suddenly without warning shoot one in the head at point blank range (ideally Carr) so the blood spatter hits the others. Then discuss the christmas team schedule after. bluerazz.gif

As long as he doesn't replace them with the quality of Geremi and Smith.

Lets hope the players involved are Babayaro,Carr,Ameobi and maybe even Pattison has poped back up from Norwich to lead the revolt.

5 Live's talking point later this morning - Are Newcastle an impossible club to manage?

Yes, he's better than Roeder or Souness. Yes, we need to show consistency and stick with a manager. But only the RIGHT manager.

As fans, there seems to be soem fucking stupid idea that anyone who wears balck and white, or manages the club, deserves no criticism, and is automatically top class. THEY AREN'T. And at the moment, there is a lot of criticism being justified of a number of players who are mid table quality at best, and a manager who is patently out of his depth.

I heard last night on Sky Fat Sam saying "its judged over 38 games not 14"......this follows his made-up stat about the best 10 game start ever, or soemthing stupid......and you're wrong, Sam - the SEASON is judged over 38 games. But a team and a manger are judged on a rolling basis on performance. And yours has been shite.

I'd like to know if he will resign if/when we are still 10/11th at 38 games. He's spent £25m, played HIS tactics, etc. But of course he won't. I can't blame him, if i got paid loads of money to do a job i wasn't up to, i'd milk it as well. But that doesn't make him any less full of shit.

Whats his net spend though? and weren't the sales needed for the good of the dressing room?

I think we've got to got through the pain barrier to get better.

He might never play pretty football but he might make us a far more effective outfit next year if we stick with him.

I don't believe anybody will walk into the club and have us playing well within 15 games, winning games, entertaining the public and have the press lauding over him.

We've got to give him time for the long term good of the club and the good of it's short term reputation.

Get them all in a small room and then suddenly without warning shoot one in the head at point blank range (ideally Carr) so the blood spatter hits the others. Then discuss the christmas team schedule after. bluerazz.gif

;D Just don't shoot poor Celestine.

I can just imagine him turning up at the pearly gates

"What now Baba?...for fucks sake it was only an air rifle.

Whats his net spend though? and weren't the sales needed for the good of the dressing room?

He might never play pretty football but he might make us a far more effective outfit next year if we stick with him.

I don't believe anybody will walk into the club and have us playing well within 15 games, winning games, entertaining the public and have the press lauding over him.

We've got to give him time for the long term good of the club and the good of it's short term reputation.

Fact is, i don't think he is up to it long term, full stop.

He's not a manager who needs time to bed into the Premiership, neither are some of his signings.

We NEED to get a really good manager in. Sticking with one who is not good enough will do NOTHING for our reputation, as we will be for even longer a mid table club.

And his net soend is irrelevant - he has bough players to the tune of £25m, and they haven't been good enough. Like him.

But, if we beet Brum, and maybe one other team over the next 5 games, we'll paper over the cracks, pretend he's good enough, and stick our heads in the sand whenever we look at the league table, making excuse after excuse for the sgite we produce.*

* That wasn't meant to sound like a line from a kids book, that last bit, but it reads that way, very rythmic.

Fact is, i don't think he is up to it long term, full stop.

He's not a manager who needs time to bed into the Premiership, neither are some of his signings.

We NEED to get a really good manager in. Sticking with one who is not good enough will do NOTHING for our reputation, as we will be for even longer a mid table club.

And his net soend is irrelevant - he has bough players to the tune of £25m, and they haven't been good enough. Like him.

But, if we beet Brum, and maybe one other team over the next 5 games, we'll paper over the cracks, pretend he's good enough, and stick our heads in the sand whenever we look at the league table, making excuse after excuse for the sgite we produce.*

* That wasn't meant to sound like a line from a kids book, that last bit, but it reads that way, very rythmic.

Spitting some lyrics there Monkey.  :coolsmiley:

Surely 'papering over the cracks' is exactly what we're not doing at the club for the first time in fucking ages?

I think it's gotta be accepted that the first team squad is the priority in buying Allardyce time but it shouldn't be underestimated the work he will do for the club as a whole.

To me, he's about ripping off the paper and re-plastering the wall, not papering over the cracks.

He's even said himself it's a 5 year job.

We need continuity, we need a full structural review across the entire club and we need to make sustainable change. As a result of this we can't expect immediate results.

Lets be patient.

He'll be gone by the end of December and we will have a fight on our handsup to end April. By the way I don't think we'll go down but yet another wasted season. When you lose the dressing room it's inevitable.