The worst midfield in the top 10?

Parky

It is quite shit, tbh. We have a few good squad players, but not many that should really be guranteed a place in our starting midfield 4. Maybe J. Barton and that's about it.

Aye.

Even if we look at Villa.

Barry

Gardner

Reo-

Coker

Petrov

Young

I honestly would rather have that lot. :-[

You say that as if it is a surprise.

England international Barry, former U21 captain NRC and current top form player Young?

Gardner is promising. Hardly gets a start, 3 PL goals already this season. Even Petrov is producing the goods at the moment.

You also forgot Maloney, who is a quality player who gets - for some reason - hardly a look in.

Came on as sub against arseluck iirc (the little fella?) and looked quite tidy imo.

That's the one. He's a decent player. Scored against Fulham. Fans love him, would love to see him get a decent run out

N'Zogbia    Geremi    Barton    Milner

Would be my first choice midfield. Should they been given a run of games i believe they would be BETTER than some of those other clubs. Therefore i wouldn't swap them, they just need time to gel.

Good thread Parky. Presumably all the 'Allardyce out' crew think our lot are better than most of the teams in the top 10.

Which says all you need to know really.

The reality sometimes is actually real.  [Parky/]  bluerazz.gif

Good thread Parky. Presumably all the 'Allardyce out' crew think our lot are better than most of the teams in the top 10.

The reality sometimes is actually real.  [Parky/]   bluerazz.gif

No, you've lost me.

outside of the top 4 I think I'd rank overall squad strength as Portsmouth-Everton-Blackburn-Villa-City-Spurs. I'd like to think we have better players than West Ham at least.

Villa's team is strong, but the squad is weak - far too small. Take out goalkeepers and we've got 17 players in the squad. It woudn't take too many injuries to not be able to name a bench.

It is quite s***, tbh. We have a few good squad players, but not many that should really be guranteed a place in our starting midfield 4. Maybe J. Barton and that's about it.

Aye.

Barry

Gardner

Reo-

Coker

Petrov

Young

England international Barry, former U21 captain NRC and current top form player Young?

Gardner is promising. Hardly gets a start, 3 PL goals already this season. Even Petrov is producing the goods at the moment.

You also forgot Maloney, who is a quality player who gets - for some reason - hardly a look in.

Came on as sub against arseluck iirc (the little fella?) and looked quite tidy imo.

That's the one. He's a decent player. Scored against Fulham. Fans love him, would love to see him get a decent run out

What Villa has is teamwork, motivation, cohesion, consistancy AND some individual talent. Newcastle are not lacking the individual talent just all of the rest.

outside of the top 4 I think I'd rank overall squad strength as Portsmouth-Everton-Blackburn-Villa-City-Spurs. I'd like to think we have better players than West Ham at least.

Villa's team is strong, but the squad is weak - far too small. Take out goalkeepers and we've got 17 players in the squad. It woudn't take too many injuries to not be able to name a bench.

Good point that, wasn't distinguishing between team and squad. City and Spurs aren't exactly brimming with depth either though, so I figure the rankings would stay the same.

It is quite s***, tbh. We have a few good squad players, but not many that should really be guranteed a place in our starting midfield 4. Maybe J. Barton and that's about it.

Aye.

Barry

Gardner

Reo-

Coker

Petrov

Young

What Villa has is teamwork, motivation, cohesion, consistancy AND some individual talent. Newcastle are not lacking the individual talent just all of the rest.

I think its a mixture; where you have technique (emre) you lack fitness and bottle. Where you have motivation (smith) you lack tehnique and pace. I think we have some very average players and some under-performing ones.

No, you've lost me.

The Allardyce out crew are ignoring some of the home truths/realities reg our squad.

Our midfield doesn't stand up to proper scrutiny.

Good point that, wasn't distinguishing between team and squad. City and Spurs aren't exactly brimming with depth either though, so I figure the rankings would stay the same.

We've been very, very lucky with injuries so far this season. Although the facilities at the new training complex (and the training methods) might have some influence on that, there's no getting away that we'd be very stretched very quickly.

He says he only wants to buy the players he really wants and is prepared to wait, but it is a dangerous game. We have no right back and only one left back (and Barry is shit at LB, so not an option) at the club, but we've got about 12,000 centre halves.

If Mellberg and Gardener got injured, or Bouma, we'd be fucked.

He needs to buy very well in January or it will bite us on the arse.

We've been very, very lucky with injuries so far this season. Although the facilities at the new training complex (and the training methods) might have some influence on that, there's no getting away that we'd be very stretched very quickly.

He says he only wants to buy the players he really wants and is prepared to wait, but it is a dangerous game. We have no right back and only one left back (and Barry is s*** at LB, so not an option) at the club, but we've got about 12,000 centre halves.

If Mellberg and Gardener got injured, or Bouma, we'd be f*****.

He needs to buy very well in January or it will bite us on the arse.

If it's any consolation at all you playing four center-halves in the defense seems to be working better than us actually having fullbacks.

Aye.

Barry

Gardner

Reo-

Coker

Petrov

Young

I think its a mixture; where you have technique (emre) you lack fitness and bottle. Where you have motivation (smith) you lack tehnique and pace. I think we have some very average players and some under-performing ones.

Thats what MANAGEMENT is for. Players like Keane didn't rip defences apart with their pace, just like players such as Henry didn't win cruching tackles.

It's up to the manager to take the individual talents, mentality and attributes and make them work together as a team. If we choose our players selectively, get the correct blend and play them consistantly i have no doubt that results will change.

i.e if your going to have an Emre in our side you need a Smith in their to balance it out etc.

No, you've lost me.

The Allardyce out crew are ignoring some of the home truths/realities reg our squad.

The basics are there and nothing else. You could blame Sam for not sorting that over the summer. Now he has seen the levels of patience perhaps he regrets not trying to spend more. On fucking who is the question.

Aye.

Barry

Gardner

Reo-

Coker

Petrov

Young

Thats what MANAGEMENT is for. Players like Keane didn't rip defences apart with their pace, just like players such as Henry didn't win cruching tackles.

It's up to the manager to take the individual talents, mentality and attributes and make them work together as a team. If we choose our players selectively, get the correct blend and play them consistantly i have no doubt that results will change.

i.e if your going to have an Emre in our side you need a Smith in their to balance it out etc.

True but using Keane and Henry as examples doesnt help your case as we dont have anything near their quality as players in the squad.

I'm quite aware of the role of MANAGEMENT. There is the old phrase 'you cant polish a turd' though.

It's pretty sad when you think about it. Geremi looks shit, Emre is a good player who was just never suited for English football, Butt is 33 in three weeks, and Smith is a good...striker.

Wish we could have just one good midfielder we could be proud of. Maybe Joey Barton will be that. Then again, with our luck, maybe not.

It's pretty sad when you think about it. Geremi looks shit, Emre is a good player who was just never suited for English football, Butt is 33 in three weeks, and Smith is a good...striker.

Wish we could have just one good midfielder we could be proud of. Maybe Joey Barton will be that. Then again, with our luck, maybe not.

People still refuse to face upto these issues. Easier to blame everything on SA I guess.  :undecided:

The reality sometimes is actually real.  [Parky/]  bluerazz.gif

No, you've lost me.

I'm not part of the Sam out crew, but it is his fault. I was dead against the buying of Barton and Smith, they're all hardwork and no quality.

No, you've lost me.

I'm not part of the Sam out crew, but it is his fault. I was dead against the buying of Barton and Smith, they're all hardwork and no quality.

Not exactly an abundance of alternatives and if Barton rediscovers his form from last season that would be a big leap forward.

It's pretty sad when you think about it. Geremi looks s***, Emre is a good player who was just never suited for English football, Butt is 33 in three weeks, and Smith is a good...striker.

Yes but it is easy to be negative. How comes is it that Sunderland are showing more teamwork than us, yet they have ALOT worse players.

I'd argue that Emre is extremely talented and being utilised wrong.

That Butt brings experiance and discipline to our midfield.

That Smith... ok, ok i think he would be better as a striker.

We need to concentrate in getting the correct combination of players and playing as a unit, like we did at the start ot the season. Suprise suprise when we did that we picked up result, albeit (to me) in a rather disapointing fashion.

In my opinion too many new players will just give us the same problems.

The reality sometimes is actually real.  [Parky/]   bluerazz.gif

No, you've lost me.

Barton has a great deal of quality.