Sir Bobby Robson. *New poll*

Mick
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

As football is always SBR's first love, the pre season tournament would be the one for me. Doesn't neccesarily have to take place every year, maybe every two years, and initially should be clubs with which SBR has an affinity. Even if it meant Ipswich were one oft he first teams to contest it, I'm sure they'd bring a huge following with them for SBR, and hopefully if we could arrange something for this year, he ould present the inaugral trophy. As an alternative, maybe an NUFC organised home nations international tournament played at SJP for the SBR Cup. In a year when we're not at the European Championships, might be worth a thought. Whether the FA would go for it would be a different matter. I'm sure they'd want any England games at Wembley but maybe we could do a round robin tournament with the games split between Wembley and SJP with the final at Wembley and the 3rd/4th place play off at SJP.

I'll be ending this poll later, probably after midnight if anybody wants to change the way they voted.  Some people might have voted for one with a low score and may want to go for something else.

No disrespect to Sir Bob, but why on earth would you name a stand after him? Is there a Harvey stand, a McDonald stand, a Keegan stand??

:nope:

Name the Sir John Hall Stand after him

What a good idea - NOT.

Without Sir John, there wouldn't have been a NUFC after 1992, and no stand would have been built.

Some people have short memories...

No disrespect to Sir Bob, but why on earth would you name a stand after him? Is there a Harvey stand, a McDonald stand, a Keegan stand??

Exactly. The guy's a legend, but for what he did before he came to SJP. He's Ipswich's icon, not ours.

Exactly right - was first asked to become manager as long ago as 1975 when we were looking to replace Joe Harvey, but refused(didn't blame him then - we were a moderate club under Westwood & Co, whilst he was building a good set-up at Ipswich).

Won trophies at most of his other clubs, biggest achievement at NUFC was saving us from relegation in 99/00 and giving us CL Footbal - but Dalglish(in first season)also gave us CL Football....!!.

Voted for the Academy being named after him as he was a NE lad himself, but if KK has not had a stand etc named after him, neither should SBR.

I’ve had to do another poll as it was a draw, I'll probably end this on Sunday night so that it can be moved on.

Question: What should we do for Bobby?

Name a stand after him  68 (25.4%)

Name the academy after him  68 (25.4%)

Arrange a pre-season tournament  20 (7.5%)

Present him with something  29 (10.8%)

Walkway outside of St James  33 (12.3%)

Image on the seats  0 (0%)

Statue  31 (11.6%)

Raise cash for charity  19 (7.1%)

Total Voters: 268

Guest WashyGeordie

I would re-name the East Stand to Sir Bob's name... and the South Stand to Alan Shearer as we have a Milburn stand, and Shearer is now our top scorer.

I would re-name the East Stand to Sir Bob's name... and the South Stand to Alan Shearer as we have a Milburn stand, and Shearer is now our top scorer.

The Academy is a good idea but naming a stand is faintly ridiculous. He's a smashing fella who did a good (not great) job for NUFC but countless others have contributed more to the club over the years.

The Academy is a good idea but naming a stand is faintly ridiculous. He's a smashing fella who did a good (not great) job for NUFC but countless others have contributed more to the club over the years.

Agree with this, thinking about it.

Guest gallowgate

Name a stand after him - absolute legend in football

Has more right to a stand named after him than those thieving parasites called the Halls.

Make no mistake about it, Sir John's money and managerial experience saved the toon from the old 3rd division, but he was repaid tenfold, took the money and ran.

Sir John and his sycophantic offspring will soon be long forgotten, but the names of "Milburn, McDonald, Shearer, Robson etc will live on.

Has more right to a stand named after him than those thieving parasites called the Halls.

Make no mistake about it, Sir John's money and managerial experience saved the toon from the old 3rd division, but he was repaid tenfold, took the money and ran.

Sir John and his sycophantic offspring will soon be long forgotten, but the names of "Milburn, McDonald, Shearer, Robson etc will live on.

Strange how quickly people forget.  I remember the rush of people trying to invest their money in the club shortly before the Hall's took over.

Guest gallowgate

Strange how quickly people forget.  I remember the rush of people trying to invest their money in the club shortly before the Hall's took over.

Remember why that was, The Halls wanted to buy everyones shares, so people invested to get a quick return on there money, nothin more, nothing less

Academy over the stand every time.

As mentioned, others during their time at NUFC gave us more, but also Robson gave more to other clubs and football in general.

A Robson Academy (hopefully) brings future football talent to both NUFC, England and the footballing world, whereas a stand is too grand, too rigid, too unchanging and too permanent for someone who is more of a football man than a Newcastle man.

Plus it can be argued that Robson laid some important early building blocks in our Academy, so it is something he contributed too. All of Robson's other contributions have gone now to be honest - he left great memories, but his footprints in the sands of time have been washed away by changing tides.

Guest gallowgate

How on earth could we have a Robson stand when there's not a Harvey stand?

Honestly, please stop this silliness.

Harvey who?

Yes, granted. Joe Harvey was the last manager that was in charge when we won a major trophy, but let’s be fair; his CV does not come even close the achievements’ of Sir Bobbies. Of all the managers that have been in charge of Newcastle United since I have supported them (and I can go back to Charlie Mitten) have not got the pedigree of his. 

Academy over the stand every time.

As mentioned, others during their time at NUFC gave us more, but also Robson gave more to other clubs and football in general.

A Robson Academy (hopefully) brings future football talent to both NUFC, England and the footballing world, whereas a stand is too grand, too rigid, too unchanging and too permanent for someone who is more of a football man than a Newcastle man.

Plus it can be argued that Robson laid some important early building blocks in our Academy, so it is something he contributed too. All of Robson's other contributions have gone now to be honest - he left great memories, but his footprints in the sands of time have been washed away by changing tides.

Have you been reading Women's Own?

How on earth could we have a Robson stand when there's not a Harvey stand?

Honestly, please stop this silliness.

Harvey who?

Yes, granted. Joe Harvey was the last manager that was in charge when we won a major trophy, but let’s be fair; his CV does not come even close the achievements’ of Sir Bobbies. Of all the managers that have been in charge of Newcastle United since I have supported them (and I can go back to Charlie Mitten) have not got the pedigree of his. 

So we should name a stand after Sir Bobby because of his achievements with other clubs?

Name the Sir John Hall Stand after him

What a good idea - NOT.

Without Sir John, there wouldn't have been a NUFC after 1992, and no stand would have been built.

Some people have short memories...

Aye i must have a short memory like, consdiering i wasn't born until the November in 1992.

I tend to favour naming the academy after him.All he's ever wanted was to see is a team full of young geordies

Guest Knightrider

"I still see Sir Bobby as a father to me. My early times with Bobby were really important, and the way he put faith in me gave me confidence and taught me to be strong in believing myself. Tactically and dealing with players I could not ask for a better teacher, and I could not have learned from anyone better. It was an experience that was invaluable and I still telephone and talk to him now. He is a leader to me and I will go on respecting him as a great manager. He is always close to the players and that is something as a manager you must always be. They are your blood and the most important thing of all. They have to respect you and that is something that I learned from Bobby in the way they respect him and will always play for him. A little something from everything I achieve will always be dedicated to him." - Jose Mourinho

"I still see Sir Bobby as a father to me. My early times with Bobby were really important, and the way he put faith in me gave me confidence and taught me to be strong in believing myself. Tactically and dealing with players I could not ask for a better teacher, and I could not have learned from anyone better. It was an experience that was invaluable and I still telephone and talk to him now. He is a leader to me and I will go on respecting him as a great manager. He is always close to the players and that is something as a manager you must always be. They are your blood and the most important thing of all. They have to respect you and that is something that I learned from Bobby in the way they respect him and will always play for him. A little something from everything I achieve will always be dedicated to him." - Jose Mourinho

Nice words from Mr Mourinho.

:thup: