Given - Beaten Easily From Long Range Again.

Crumpy Gunt

And of you'd see the full game not the "here's another Chelsea chance easily saved by Given" highlights on MOTD you'd have seen a couple of occasions when Given failed to do anything convincing with a ball in the air on the edge of the 6 yard box. One weak punch and one 'leave'. Did come and catch one near the end and took a wack for his troubles but that's all too rare.

If only he used his mouth to shout at defenders as much as he does at refs. Reckon he's now had 4 bookings for discent this season already.

Still i'd have smacked the useless fecking linesman for that outrage.

Happy to be disagreed with but please don't make assumptions. I watched the whole match live.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Given was hopeless for the first two goals today.

He made a couple of decent saves today but overall has had a poor season.

How was he hopeless for the FK? The wall was covering the side of the goal and he still got a hand to it, ffs.

Completely unsighted by a wall which jumped over the ball for the first. Put under stupid pressure by Cacapa and Enrique for the second. I hate the agendas people have against players. If it wasn't for Given today it would have been 12-0.

Completely unsighted by a wall which jumped over the ball for the first. Put under stupid pressure by Cacapa and Enrique for the second. I hate the agendas people have against players. If it wasn't for Given today it would have been 12-0.

Do you mean if we had been playing without anyone in goal? I can't recall more than one save from Given that i wouldn't have expected the average Premier League goalkeeper to make.

I do rate Given as shot-stopper but with the amount of action he gets behind our defence he does tend to make strings of routine saves look spectacular.

that's entirely your problem, mate.. if you choose to ignore the last 10 seasons of miracle saves, that's ok..

you're not the first short-sighted delusional fucker in here

just try to resist the temptation of picking on the only player that's left in the club, who has proved that he's top class and cares for the club and show some respect.

thank you and good night

hes only good at shot stopping thats why i said hes a average goalkeeper

wtf has he been doing the past 2 month?!

he cant punch, he storms out of his goal and his kicks have been woeful..

I do rate Given as shot-stopper but with the amount of action he gets behind our defence he does tend to make strings of routine saves look spectacular.

that's entirely your problem, mate.. if you choose to ignore the last 10 seasons of miracle saves, that's ok..

you're not the first short-sighted delusional fucker in here

just try to resist the temptation of picking on the only player that's left in the club, who has proved that he's top class and cares for the club and show some respect.

thank you and good night

Eh? I didn't start the thread, i think Given is more than good enough for us. My point was that his shot-stopping is occasionally overrated due to the sheer volume of chances our defence concedes. Today, for example, people are saying it would been double the scoreline without him whereas i didn't see one save i wouldn't have expected the average goalkeeper in this league to make.

Wall was to blame for first goal(all jumped over ball), and Given to blame for second goal - his clearance was lashed straight at Cacapa - how anyone can blame Cacapa for being in the penalty area is a mystery to me -

Given's kicking has never been great this season.

These two stupid goals finished the game.

Wall was to blame for first goal(all jumped over ball), and Given to blame for second goal - his clearance was lashed straight at Cacapa - how anyone can blame Cacapa for being in the penalty area is a mystery to me -

Given's kicking has never been great this season.

These two stupid goals finished the game.

Cacapa really should've cleared it instead of playing it short to Enrique, tbf. But yeah, spot on about his kicking, it's woeful at times.

Guest sittingontheball

He could probably do with more protection to get his confidence back, but he's definitely not having a good year.

Once we gave the second goal away so quickly and cheaply, a hammering looked inevitable. The others didn't help, but it was Given's mistake.  Its not that hard to kick the ball away.

I'd blame Smith for the first for conceding the free kick. Looked a definite pen he gave away first half too. Boumsong-esque tbh.

Given is a fantastic shotstopper, there's no denying that - but his command of the area and communication are both quite poor at times.  He's by no means a dominating presence and we probably could have done with one of those considering the state of our defence.

That said, he is still a major asset to the team.

Guest Ridzuan

Everybody knows that Given is one of the best keeper in the league but I think being with us for so long and after so many suffering years and countless amount of goals he has conceded,it has affected his performance.He is not as good as he was last time but again,we should be happy that he is still playing for us for all these years.Regarding yesterday's game,he made some decent saves but some baffling decision as well.He is afterall a human being.

My assessment of Given, is that whilst he makes some top notch saves that average keepers won't even get near to, he also has some basic and obvious flaws/weaknesses in his game which leads to us conceding goals. I'm sick of the bullshit that it would have been xx (fill in whatever arbitrary number you like) without Given. It's all evens in the end because whilst he makes some impossible saves, he also fucks up some obvious situation which either led to goals or could have led to goals with more clinical finishing from opposition strikers.

In addition, he has not really improved on his weaknesses, we all know that he can't kick the ball or come out to collect a cross to save his life since quite a few years back, have you seen him done anything to improve these areas of his game like any normal professional footballer would?

We should bring Cech in, but only after Mourinho takes over with John Terry as his captain.

Do people want to see Steve Harper in goal instead?

Actually yes, he did nothing to warrant being dropped earlier in the season and i'd have him in the side at the minute.

NB - i'm not saying given has played particularly badly, he had a good first half yesterday, but anyone who thinks he couldn't have made a difference with the first two goals is kidding themselves. Certainly not the first time this season either.

We should bring Cech in, but only after Mourinho takes over with John Terry as his captain.

Do people want to see Steve Harper in goal instead?

Actually yes, he did nothing to warrant being dropped earlier in the season and i'd have him in the side at the minute.

NB - i'm not saying given has played particularly badly, he had a good first half yesterday, but anyone who thinks he couldn't have made a difference with the first two goals is kidding themselves. Certainly not the first time this season either.

No keeper in the world would have saved that freekick tbh. He only saw it when the ball was 3 yards from him.

Given is miles better than Harper. Sad that when the team go through a bad patch (like the last few seasons unfortunately) then people think getting rid of Given will solve it. Madness.