Complicating stuff

Newcastle Fan

I think one of the main reasons our results this season have been poor is down to Allardyce over thinking with his tactics and team line-up, yesterday i sat before our game and watched Villa under MON play simple yet extremely effective football and nearly ending Chelsea's unbeaten record, the tactics the Martin O'Neil used in that match weren't by any means extraordinary or special but it tore through Chelsea's back line time and time again.

Afterwards i sat and watch a horrible performance from our side, who at one point it seemed that everybody was playing everywhere on the pitch, Damian Duff played down both wings and Behind Viduka,  James Milner was playing at Right Back and Geremi seemed to be playing side by side with Viduka at one period of the game.

The problem with Allardyce and his extremely complicated tactics is that when you have players with an IQ of a monkey (e.g. Alan Smith, Geremi, Barton) its pretty difficult to get them to understand such tactics, and when everything need to played with a certing method (such as our set pieces from the right hand side being taken by a left footer and vice-versa) it doesn't necessarily work, what Allardyce is trying to do is to play a game based on studies and training methods and practices, when all he really needs to do is to play it the simple way, we have a great amount of talent in our squad and by just letting each player play without pressure and with the way he feels more comfortable with playing then i'm sure we'll be able to get the best out of each player.

'tis something i have thought of recently. I say that a footballers game is 90-95% natural and the remainder is what he is told to do by his manager.

I have a feeling sam is putting far to much faith in the hope that our lads can work to about a 50-50 ratio. never going to happen.

you can bet that the likes of robert and ginola were given various instructions about back tracking but did it ever happen ?

Guest Knightrider

'tis something i have thought of recently. I say that a footballers game is 90-95% natural and the remainder is what he is told to do by his manager.

I have a feeling sam is putting far to much faith in the hope that our lads can work to about a 50-50 ratio. never going to happen.

you can bet that the likes of robert and ginola were given various instructions about back tracking but did it ever happen ?

It's actually the reverse, something like 75% mental, the rest ability.

Also have to add that Allardyce's method prevents players from showing their specialtys or any extras they have, for example throught this season we never saw a player give us that one moment of brilliance that win us a game, stuff like that free kick Ryan Taylor scored against us are rarley seen in our side, we usually have Geremi running 25 yards before kicking the ball straight into the wall, allowing players to try to do stuff more freely (e.g. shoot from distance) might give us that unexpected goal or two.

Really. You think?

I would be hard pushed to believe that only 25% of what gazza did was natural ability.

Still, if its the case then we are fucked as the 75% our guys are using amounts to nothing

Really. You think?

I would be hard pushed to believe that only 25% of what gazza did was natural ability.

Still, if its the case then we are fucked as the 75% our guys are using amounts to nothing

Depends what position.

If a defender with 25% talent has 75% solid mental ability, then yuo get Nesta, Terry etc...

If you get a defender with 25% talent and only 5% mental abilty then you get Bramble...who keeps a clean sheet against some utter shite opposition called NUFC.

Guest Stephen927

A lot of it depends on the players in the team.

Mourinhos tactics at Chelsea were extensive and covered everything, and he was able to do that because of the players understanding of it, and full faith in his ability.

At NUFC what we are having to deal with is players either not understanding the tactics laid out, or having no faith whatsoever in the tactics they've been given.

But yes, I think a lot of the time tactics can be overdone. What we need is someone from our midfield to be given a license to attack, because right now our midfield is restricted to closing down the oppositions midfield, with hardly any of our play coming from the midfield area.