Are people ready for the erm...5 year plan?

Parky

Guest Stephen927

I'm still quite confident Sam is the right man for the job, already there has been huge improvements behind the scenes, now all we need is the results on the pitch to go with them, which could prove to be the sticking point.

We're not the team we were in the mid 90's, and yes we're in a transitional period. But would it harm us in this difficult period to actually try to win games instead of playing for draws at Derby?

It's been hard to keep confidence in Sam and there have been many moments when I've watched Newcastle and thought this will never work. But hopefully this year is the one we'll look back on as being the year we set the foundation for future building.

5 years is waaaaaay too long.

Keegan was here 5 years, look where we were when he came, look where we were when he left.

Look at Robson's 5 years

And Allardyce reckons he needs 5 years to turn us around? Bollocks! All he needs to do is play a proper formation with the right players in the right positions, so that the players actually have a clue what they're doing. And preferably playing football on the floor.

I agree, and do those who are happy to wait 5 years(for what, incidentally ? Top 4, Europe, WHAT ?), do you really think clubs like Villa, City & Everton are going to sit around waiting for NUFC to fulfill their 5 year plan and take their places in the Top 5(or whatever it is by then)? Absolutely NOT...

We are already behind schedule in any sensible person's judgment because we are losing games to relegation-threatened teams - by any stretch, we should be able to beat these sides and at least give the Top 4 a real battle at SJP, even if we lose..

By year 2 we should be able to reasonably expect a Top 7 finish(KK got us to 3rd in his first Prem season of 93/94 WITHOUT too much spending..)

By Year 3, a challenge for Top 5, and a good run in the FA Cup

By Year 4, European Football AND a challenge for top 4

By Year 5, Top 4/5 status and a realistic shot at the CL...

So come on - WHAT exactly does everyone else view as progress for a club with the support of NUFC with a billionaire as owner..?

As Jaehyun said, Stalin also had 5 Year plans - I suppose the Moskvitch was the result of one of these..!

I agree, and do those who are happy to wait 5 years(for what, incidentally ? Top 4, Europe, WHAT ?), do you really think clubs like Villa, City & Everton are going to sit around waiting for NUFC to fulfill their 5 year plan and take their places in the Top 5(or whatever it is by then)? Absolutely NOT...

Fair point, but we actually do have a five year plan to be playing in the CL (I think they're de rigeur for all new owners these days - I know West Ham have one, for instance). Admittedly, we're further into it, but that's probably the measure of how large the gulf is between the top four and the rest.

Obviously, as you said, it depends what the five year plan is to achieve.

What is going to be interesting is that there are the current top four, then there are quite a large group of second tier (and a few third tier - West Ham, Blackburn for example) clubs who all have money and all want the same thing, the problem being, they can't all have the same thing.

I don't think how much money you spend is necessarily going to be the crucial factor in the same way it was in the past, but that's probably another argument.

Fair point, but we actually do have a five year plan to be playing in the CL (I think they're de rigeur for all new owners these days - I know West Ham have one, for instance). Admittedly, we're further into it, but that's probably the measure of how large the gulf is between the top four and the rest.

What is going to be interesting is that there are the current top four, then there are quite a large group of second tier (and a few third tier - West Ham, Blackburn for example) clubs who all have money and all want the same thing, the problem being, they can't all have the same thing.

I don't think how much money you spend is necessarily going to be the crucial factor in the same way it was in the past, but that's probably another argument.

Sven has taken the bit of paper with 5 year plan written on it screwed it up and thrown it in the bin. They will compete for CL next year.

I would say before long we need to start matching the spend of the top 5/6 sides if we are going to compete.

Organisation and sports science (all of which I'm in favour of) can only get you so far.

Good management (of the club in all senses - from the boardroom to the training ground, and including things like youth development) are going to be every bit as important as money spent.

Throwing money around alone is not going to be enough any more (I'm not suggesting you're saying that, btw, I'm just rambling a bit).

I've got a feeling the clubs which will do best out of it are the ones which take a good, long term view of what needs to change and be done, formulate a plan, and set about it with a mesaured determination (which, from what we've heard of your new owners, is the approach they are taking) rather than the ones who just throw money at the problem to get short term success (West Ham, City to a certain degree).

Sven has taken the bit of paper with 5 year plan written on it screwed it up and thrown it in the bin. They will compete for CL next year.

That remains to be seen. Man City have a somewhat short term look to them (see above post). There's also a long time left in this season, let's see how they do in the remainder.

Hmm. Maybe. be interested to know what he is doing to secure Man City's future. The impression at the moment is that they will just through money at players to improve the team. if he isnt looking after the youth policy then their long term future isnt great.

Only time will tell though. All we know is that they are better than us at the minute but in football, that can change within a matter of months

That remains to be seen. Man City have a somewhat short term look to them (see above post). There's also a long time left in this season, let's see how they do in the remainder.

Their youth system is already producing players - 3 are playing in the first team.

You have the same problem as us MON and SA are good managers in their own right, but IMO lack something at the highest levels..We'll both need a change for the final assault on the summit.

Look out for Spurs next year btw. Ramos is looking serious.

5 years is waaaaaay too long.

Keegan was here 5 years, look where we were when he came, look where we were when he left.

Look at Robson's 5 years

And Allardyce reckons he needs 5 years to turn us around? Bollocks! All he needs to do is play a proper formation with the right players in the right positions, so that the players actually have a clue what they're doing. And preferably playing football on the floor.

We are already behind schedule in any sensible person's judgment because we are losing games to relegation-threatened teams - by any stretch, we should be able to beat these sides and at least give the Top 4 a real battle at SJP, even if we lose..

By year 2 we should be able to reasonably expect a Top 7 finish(KK got us to 3rd in his first Prem season of 93/94 WITHOUT too much spending..)

By Year 3, a challenge for Top 5, and a good run in the FA Cup

By Year 4, European Football AND a challenge for top 4

By Year 5, Top 4/5 status and a realistic shot at the CL...

So come on - WHAT exactly does everyone else view as progress for a club with the support of NUFC with a billionaire as owner..?

As Jaehyun said, Stalin also had 5 Year plans - I suppose the Moskvitch was the result of one of these..!

The basics of the scenario are that we need to qualify for Euro next year as a base line.

A five year plan does not mean no improvements for 5 years then suddenly we're great. We should be looking for constant improvements over the course of 5 years to build up to a much higher level.

So far, the improvements I see are as follows:

- Smaller injury list

- Improved backroom staffing

However things that have gotten worse:

- Playing soul-destroying football

- Players all out of position

- Going to bottom of the table sides and trying to snatch a 0-0

- Tactics that don't suit the players we have

The problem to me is that the things that have slipped backwards are so easily rectified, but Sam just refusing to do so. Playing players in the correct positions, in a 4-4-2, and trying to win a match rather than draw does not take a tactical genius, it just requires someone to have eyes and a half-formed brain. That's why Sam is losing my support, not because he has a 5 year plan and I'm too impatient.

Their youth system is already producing players - 3 are playing in the first team.

You have the same problem as us MON and SA are good managers in their own right, but IMO lack something at the highest levels..We'll both need a change for the final assault on the summit.

Of course, but thats due to the previous regime.

What will be interesting to see, is if Sven's buying policy has an adverse affect on the kids currently being brought through the system.

What will be interesting to see, is if Sven's buying policy has an adverse affect on the kids currently being brought through the system.

Of course it will. But to compete for a CL place you need to buy top tier players.

Of course it will. But to compete for a CL place you need to buy top tier players.

Viscious circle isnt it. Makes you wonder whether you can produce great kids whilst being a champions league club. Even Man U dont seem to bringing any through now. Cant think of any at Chelsea, Liverpool... not sure.

Only Arsenal are bringing "kids" through but none of these are english

A five year plan does not mean no improvements for 5 years then suddenly we're great. We should be looking for constant improvements over the course of 5 years to build up to a much higher level.

So far, the improvements I see are as follows:

- Smaller injury list

- Improved backroom staffing

However things that have gotten worse:

- Playing soul-destroying football

- Players all out of position

- Going to bottom of the table sides and trying to snatch a 0-0

- Tactics that don't suit the players we have

The problem to me is that the things that have slipped backwards are so easily rectified, but Sam just refusing to do so. Playing players in the correct positions, in a 4-4-2, and trying to win a match rather than draw does not take a tactical genius, it just requires someone to have eyes and a half-formed brain. That's why Sam is losing my support, not because he has a 5 year plan and I'm too impatient.

This is my worry with SA he is failing at the business end of management for whatever reason. It might be the players don't really support his ideas or we have the wrong players, whatever the case it needs fixing and fast. All the infrastructure stuff shouldn't be a counter weight to a failing first team and Sam shouldn't be allowed to continually point to what is being developed in the background as an excuse. These things are  mutually exclusive.

A strong infastructure will deliver a strong base over a decade and we can already see improvements to fitness and inj levels...Means virtually nothing if the first team is playing crap football and we're not qualifying for Europe.

Viscious circle isnt it. Makes you wonder whether you can produce great kids whilst being a champions league club. Even Man U dont seem to bringing any through now. Cant think of any at Chelsea, Liverpool... not sure.

Only Arsenal are bringing "kids" through but none of these are english

They are buying the best kids from around the world.

The whole youth system philosophy is for clubs who don't and never will have a massive spend.

The premium clubs will still produce the odd good player throught thier ranks but they don't rely on it anymore.

iirc Chelsea of the top 4 have the worst home grown record...Something Mourinho used to continually moan about.

Guest Knightrider

Year 1 - Sort out off-field things, clear dead wood, improve squad, work on changing fortunes on the pitch

Year 2 - Improvements all-round

Year 3 - European Football

Year 4 - European Football and trophy assault

Year 5 - Are we going to go any higher or is that as good as it gets? Time to look for a new manager or go all out...

Year 1 - Sort out off-field things, clear dead wood, improve squad, work on changing fortunes on the pitch

Year 5 - Are we going to go any higher or is that as good as it gets? Time to look for a new manager or go all out...

What kind of spend and when are you expecting coach?

Guest Knightrider

I was expecting nothing really this season. I wrote it off the moment we hired Big Sam. Although that's not to say I'm happy we're losing games and not performing well but I did expect it so therefore I'm not too worried about these in reality fickle aspects of football on the pitch.

Next season I expect better performances, more consistency and better management decisions on the pitch. I expect improvements in all areas of the team from defence to attack and with it league standing. I don't expect us to finish in the top 6 next season though.

The season after that I do and the season after that one, I'd expect us to be challenging for a top 4 spot and looking to win a trophy.

The spend? I think we could attain all that or look towards that on current budget levels. However we could cut out a good few years by spending good money and starting now which is the only way to progress at a quicker rate, the only way. This goes for any manager. If we appointed Ramos and gave him only 10m net spend a year, we'd struggle to break into the top 6 so soon too, where as the CL would be an impossibility to a large degree. No, Big Sam needs backed heavily in the transfer market. It's time to look for quality not quantity.

I was expecting nothing really this season. I wrote it off the moment we hired Big Sam. Although that's not to say I'm happy we're losing games and not performing well but I did expect it so therefore I'm not too worried about these in reality fickle aspects of football on the pitch.

Next season I expect better performances, more consistency and better management decisions on the pitch. I expect improvements in all areas of the team from defence to attack and with it league standing. I don't expect us to finish in the top 6 next season though.

The season after that I do and the season after that one, I'd expect us to be challenging for a top 4 spot and looking to win a trophy.

The spend? I think we could attain all that or look towards that on current budget levels. However we could cut out a good few years by spending good money and starting now which is the only way to progress at a quicker rate, the only way. This goes for any manager. If we appointed Ramos and gave him only 10m net spend a year, we'd struggle to break into the top 6 so soon too, where as the CL would be an impossibility to a large degree. No, Big Sam needs backed heavily in the transfer market. It's time to look for quality not quantity.

I feel a certain resistance to a big spend coming from Mort.

I feel a certain resistance to a big spend coming from Mort.

I think Ashley would be happy to spend big if he was confident Allardyce was the right man. Unfortunately, Big Sam's under-achieving results have not helped his cause. Regularly dropping points to relegation fodder teams must have put doubts in the Chairman's mind and for tht Sam has only himself to blame. Even now, if he can get the team to produce the results to reflect their transfer fees he can turn things round for the summer.

A bit off topic so wanted to start a new thread with this, but haven't got enough posts yet...

A lot of the big clubs have smaller "feeder" clubs around the world i.e. Man Utd with Royal Antwerp, Arsenal with Beveren etc. Spurs have gone down this route I think? This strikes me as a good idea. We could ship some of our young players out on loan for a season or two, the likes of Ngo Baheng (if he signs) and Tozer... A good way to recruit younger players too.

We would also be well-served by partnership agreements with clubs in the far-east and South America. Does anyone remember a few years ago Fat Fred (or was it Doug?) spouting off about an agreement with Dalian Shide in China?? Something to do with shirt sales no doubt.

It does take a long time for these agreements to bear any fruit, but Rome wasn't built in a day. If we're ever going to be able to compete with the likes of Arsenal for the likes Kolo Toure, Emmanuel Eboue, Cesc Fabregas etc. this, along with an extensive, world-wide scouting network is the way to do it! I'm sure Chris Mort is already working on it...