Martins

Guest K9

Guest jcricthon

Martins has gone backwards since Allardyce has arrived! Poor manager and poor tactics undermining a great player! I'd have Oba over Owen anyday!

Martins has gone backwards since Allardyce has arrived! Poor manager and poor tactics undermining a great player! I'd have Oba over Owen anyday!

He wasn't great last year and he isn't a great player (never has been). Allardyce hasn't helped him by playing him wide though.

Martins has gone backwards since he joined us. When he gets the ball in a decent position, he is always stopping it, instead of going forward. It seems like he lack confidence, and has become aware of his first touch. Big Sam really need to adress the problem with Martins, and like Skrige said I think he needs a free role up front. He alse need to shoot more, he seems afraid to shoot these days...

What do you mean by a free role? To me he needs to be told exactly what to do, and if it was down to me I'd have him playing on the shoulder of the last defender. I wouldn't tell him to play where he wants. Although he looks like that's what he is doing at times.

When I say free role, i mean he can move over the hole pitch up front, not just down the wings or in the middle(and it isnt just a Football Manager Phrase. But whenever ppl dont agree in here, they just say stop play football manager, its getting old).  But like ppl say, he need seriously coaching too.

Martins has gone backwards since he joined us. When he gets the ball in a decent position, he is always stopping it, instead of going forward. It seems like he lack confidence, and has become aware of his first touch. Big Sam really need to adress the problem with Martins, and like Skrige said I think he needs a free role up front. He alse need to shoot more, he seems afraid to shoot these days...

What do you mean by a free role? To me he needs to be told exactly what to do, and if it was down to me I'd have him playing on the shoulder of the last defender. I wouldn't tell him to play where he wants. Although he looks like that's what he is doing at times.

When I say free role, i mean he can move over the hole pitch up front, not just down the wings or in the middle(and it isnt just a Football Manager Phrase. But whenever ppl dont agree in here, they just say stop play football manager, its getting old).  But like ppl say, he need seriously coaching too.

Does he genuinely strike you as having the intelligence to take up good positions if he was told to play where he wants? He seems totally ill-suited to such a role to me as he takes up such poor positions (starting positions and anticipatory runs etc.).

Act

He's off form and lacking confidence but he isn't that good even when on form imo. He gives us something the rest of the forwards don't though - pace upfront.

Yeh but he doesn't use it

Where is this 'pace' that people keep talking about?

Butt put him through in the first half at Chelsea, he had a metre on the defender and was caught with ease.

It appears if has two options he'll choose the wrong (the selfish approach) one.

Actually i think if you watch that again, you will see he and Alex were level on the half way line, Butt played Martins through Martins gets 3/4 yards ahead of Alex but slows down to take a touch to shoot, it's quite clear. I watched the highlights vs Chelsea on quite a few occasions.

Regarding last night, i personally thought he looked quicker on a few occasions than i have ever seen him before. Regarding his general play yesterday, i thought he did some good stuff with the ball, he held it up well went on a decent dribble, and did some nice passes and forced a good save from Hart. His famed 'gash' play is just plain untrue he is a better player then many make him out to be, technically. Martins is just a striker that takes more risks and is more selfish but he's a striker right, so thats his job force the opposition, do the unexpected.

He is however inconsistent and while his finishing when on form is explosive and very impressive, when off form its quite poor. However this is as much the managers fault by not giving Martins a proper run and not playing him in the right position, up front in a 4-4-2. Imho he is our best striker in a 4-4-2 and its the only time he should be played.

The last word though is to the fans, its just amusing going back 3 months to some threads when Martins was on form, coming off the bench and scoring goals and setting them up too to people on this forum were purely jizzing about Martins saying he was the saviour, better than Owen blah blah just shows how fickle some of our fans are.

Does he genuinely strike you as having the intelligence to take up good positions if he was told to play where he wants? He seems totally ill-suited to such a role to me as he takes up such poor positions (starting positions and anticipatory runs etc.).

Actually he does to me, you dont need to be a rocket scientist to play football.  Martins is more of a working striker for me, a player who can score goals from long range, and need to start doing this. He isnt like Owen who is class in getting behind the defenders, so why play him like that?  We need to get the best out of him, and a free role would suit him imo.

Can't agree or see the logic there. He doesn't even graft much either although for some reason a lot of people seem to think he does.

Not convinced its time to cash in on Martins.  Still believe we should keep him.  He's not taken many of those famous blasts at goal this year, but then again the whole team's been shite in some games, so not going to single him out.

Fucking sell the bastard, he's 23 and not the finished article. Not good enough for NUFC at all. Sell him and buy Drogba...

Let's ignore all the glaring deficiencies in his game too, eh?

It's glaringly obvious that he is a class act. It just seems he isn't very consistent at all. When Newcastle are playing well he plays well, but not the other way round...

Plus, anyone who can hit the ball that ridiculously hard deserves to be in any team  :thup:

It's glaringly obvious that he is a class act. It just seems he isn't very consistent at all. When Newcastle are playing well he plays well, but not the other way round...

Plus, anyone who can hit the ball that ridiculously hard deserves to be in any team  :thup:

Oh dear!

He's off form and lacking confidence but he isn't that good even when on form imo. He gives us something the rest of the forwards don't though - pace upfront.

Yeh but he doesn't use it

Where is this 'pace' that people keep talking about?

Butt put him through in the first half at Chelsea, he had a metre on the defender and was caught with ease.

It appears if has two options he'll choose the wrong (the selfish approach) one.

Surely you realise that running fast on the ball requires more then just pace?  It requires pace and close control, Martins doesn't have the control.  Which means that in a situation where he needs to keep the ball reasonably close to him (with a defender in front of him, or in the case you mention a goal keeper) he has to slow right down to manage it.

So you are saying he IS consistent and has been shining in recent weeks despite the teams terrible form?

I'm saying he isn't a class act so to alter what I said, only certain elements of your post were funny. Better?

Guest Coubury

Have to laugh at some of use on here at the start of the season most of use reckoned he was worth £15-20 million  ;D

Hes fucking shite

f****** sell the b******, he's 23 and not the finished article. Not good enough for NUFC at all. Sell him and buy Drogba...

I know how old he is. If you think he's suddenly going to get a decent first touch and a football brain over the next couple of seasons you're totally deluded imo. And 23 isn't that young. I'm not saying all footballers are at their best / the finished article etc. by the time they're 23 before that gets thrown back at me.

f****** sell the b******, he's 23 and not the finished article. Not good enough for NUFC at all. Sell him and buy Drogba...

Same age as Adebayor, Tevez and Torres then.

:lol:

A lad that is all out of confidence but in his 45 was more of a threat than Owen was, with the right strike partner I think he can become a very decent player, 100% effort all the time in a team that is dying on its arse.

Selling him would be fkn stupid!!

If we started Owen yesterday we would have been at least 2-0 up

Would we?

The same Owen who's managed 2 league goals in 15 appearances since coming back from his knee injury? The same Owen who when he did get a great chance last night fucked it up?

If fat Sam is pinning his job on Michael Owen then he might as well empty is office now.