We'll need to spend close to £100m between now and the end of the summer 2008..

Parky

Are Barton, Geremi, Duff and Smith the sort of midfield that gets the best out of slow immobile attackers?

Take your time.

Considering three of those were brought in by Allardyce (and they weren't exactly cheap), do you think trusting him with more money will see him change targets to something more exotic?

General question, not really owt to do with the thread as such. I know you've advocated giving him time.

Would of been my secondpoint to Chez!

Dave, i'm not sure, thats the biggest question facing the club (as i said after City  :shifty:).

Fruitbat, my point was that the midfielders we have dont have the attributes to match the attributes of our strikers. Both departments are lacking and neither can make up for the inadequacies of the other. So, yes, i think the players are just about playing to their potential which is why we arent any higher up the league. Blame last summer if you want. 

I tend not to over analyse things so forgive me for not understanding this, but why exactly do we have the wrong kind of strikers for our midfield?  We've got tall ones, short one's, fat one's, skinny one's, strong one's and weak one's.  Is it the midfield that's wrong?  What attributes do the midfield lack when playing at potential.  Duff in Blackburn form is an excellent provider and occasssional scorer.  As are Milner, Smith and Zoggy on Villa, Leeds and previous form.  Butt, Geremi, and Faye are solid as a rock on Man U, Chelsea and current form, while Barton always looked a classy* box to box player at Man City.

Sounds like British Rail excuse like the wrong kind of snow on the track.

*EDIT: Of course by classy I mean in a working class scumbag, thugish charver, blood and guts way.

Not sure if you actually seriously asking me or not....

Viduka and Owen are immobile and slow, Martins is unpredictable.

The midfield has no pace or creativity.

You can have one or the other but both at the same time means neither makes up for the inadequacies of the other. If the midfield had class and pace, they would pull defenders out of position, allowing the strikers to find space. If the attack had more class and a lot of pace, a hardworking midfield would be able to support them. The lack of mobility up front (and the spatial spackaness of Martins) places greater emphasis on creativity behind them.

So you dont think there would be a single manager in the world who could put us in a better position with the squad we have at present?

I hope this is leading somewhere about the quality of the squad, otherwise you've taken my trick of asking a subtle question but without the 'relevant' bit.

Of course i think there are better managers than Sam out there, who of course could do better. If you think Mourinho or Capello would win the league with our lot then my nickname for you is spot on ;) I'll save the Sam debate for that thread though  :razz:

I never said anyhting about winning the league, however i am one of those "deluded souls who think we could get more out of our players" and apperently so are you, only in denial.

My point GayGiven, is that until Allardyce gets any improvments out of the players he has at the moment, i wouldnt be entirley confident that signing big players would make any difference to the current situation. Maybe a little, but i dont think enough to justify the huge prices.  

Cock up bum, dont tell mum, as my brother says.  ??? [/jjc]

I can see that argument, i also see high quality players as more of an attraction to a prospective manager. Who wants to inherit shite?

I think a decent midfield would make a massive difference to the current situation and that means offering big money for some big players. Yes you can scout them and yes you can unearth gems, we should be doing that too of course. Those other routes are not likely to yield all the solutions though, otherwise spending wouldnt be as high overall.

You can have one or the other but both at the same time means neither makes up for the inadequacies of the other. If the midfield had class and pace, they would pull defenders out of position, allowing the strikers to find space. If the attack had more class and a lot of pace, a hardworking midfield would be able to support them. The lack of mobility up front (and the spatial spackaness of Martins) places greater emphasis on creativity behind them.

Was totally serious.  A lot of the tactical chatter on here straight after a game baffles me.  I have 6 pints before and after and I'm lucky if I can remember the scorers the next morning (the way football is meant to be watched  O0 ).

Seems reasonable enough like, but I'd say all the players we have have shown they have some of those qualities in the past.  Injury or age might have robbed a few of them, but can't see any reason they collectively couldn't be organised to start utilising their talent as much as they have before.

When have any of our players utilised their talents before on a consistent basis?

...following that logic (painful) even if we spent 50m on 2/3 players they still wouldn't come....eh?

We can get 3 players for the best part of £50m as Souey proved.

That was years ago, we were a champions league chasing side, in the UEFA cup.  We could then, we can't now.

What?  We'd finished 14th in the Premiership the season before we signed those players and we weren't in Europe in any form.  You talk so much shit man, every time I read one of your posts.  We're a premiership side, that's enough to attract big players if you're willing to spend the cash (of course it also doesn't hurt that we've at least been in Europe plenty of times unlike most of the rest of the Premiership).

Teasy man, the threads over, Parky has admitted defeat and run off with his tail between his legs. 

Like I said to pd, that 14th place was a disappointment...

after Robson did so brilliantly, so that's when we really had to be blinded by the cash being flashed so Freddy had to suck Owens cock for him to come (even though he was a crock no-one wanted).  Luque was one of the bung deals, must have been, because he was vastly overpriced, are you saying you want more of those 2 types of signing.

Different story now.  We can't convince anyone the last 4 years have been a blip, that we're a team that will regularly be in Europe.

We can compete with the 'other 16' for players (though most would probably prefer Man City or Everton over us too), but the other 16 rarely spend more than £10M on a player, and NEVER £25M.

Are Barton, Geremi, Duff and Smith the sort of midfield that gets the best out of slow immobile attackers?

Take your time.

Considering three of those were brought in by Allardyce (and they weren't exactly cheap), do you think trusting him with more money will see him change targets to something more exotic?

General question, not really owt to do with the thread as such. I know you've advocated giving him time.

Dave, i'm not sure, thats the biggest question facing the club (as i said after City  :shifty:).

Fruitbat, my point was that the midfielders we have dont have the attributes to match the attributes of our strikers. Both departments are lacking and neither can make up for the inadequacies of the other. So, yes, i think the players are just about playing to their potential which is why we arent any higher up the league. Blame last summer if you want. 

I tend not to over analyse things so forgive me for not understanding this, but why exactly do we have the wrong kind of strikers for our midfield?  We've got tall ones, short one's, fat one's, skinny one's, strong one's and weak one's.  Is it the midfield that's wrong?  What attributes do the midfield lack when playing at potential.  Duff in Blackburn form is an excellent provider and occasssional scorer.  As are Milner, Smith and Zoggy on Villa, Leeds and previous form.  Butt, Geremi, and Faye are solid as a rock on Man U, Chelsea and current form, while Barton always looked a classy* box to box player at Man City.

*EDIT: Of course by classy I mean in a working class scumbag, thugish charver, blood and guts way.

So you dont think there would be a single manager in the world who could put us in a better position with the squad we have at present?

I hope this is leading somewhere about the quality of the squad, otherwise you've taken my trick of asking a subtle question but without the 'relevant' bit.

Of course i think there are better managers than Sam out there, who of course could do better. If you think Mourinho or Capello would win the league with our lot then my nickname for you is spot on ;) I'll save the Sam debate for that thread though  :razz:

I never said anyhting about winning the league, however i am one of those "deluded souls who think we could get more out of our players" and apperently so are you, only in denial.

My point GayGiven, is that until Allardyce gets any improvments out of the players he has at the moment, i wouldnt be entirley confident that signing big players would make any difference to the current situation. Maybe a little, but i dont think enough to justify the huge prices.  

I can see that argument, i also see high quality players as more of an attraction to a prospective manager. Who wants to inherit s****?

I think a decent midfield would make a massive difference to the current situation and that means offering big money for some big players. Yes you can scout them and yes you can unearth gems, we should be doing that too of course. Those other routes are not likely to yield all the solutions though, otherwise spending wouldnt be as high overall.

Fair point, i just dont think that the big problem with this team is the weak positions, but more the way we are playing and the effect of Allardyces method. Dont get me wrong, i will support Allardyce but i just believe that saying this squad is achiveing its maximum because is shit (not saying that is your view) is short sighted and pretty naive.

...following that logic (painful) even if we spent 50m on 2/3 players they still wouldn't come....eh?

That was years ago, we were a champions league chasing side, in the UEFA cup.  We could then, we can't now.

What?  We'd finished 14th in the Premiership the season before we signed those players and we weren't in Europe in any form.  We're a premiership side, that's enough to attract big players if you're willing to spend the cash.  Of course it also doesn't hurt that we've at least been in Europe plenty of times unlike most of the rest of the Premiership..

Teasy - Dont say nowt but Man City who finished 14th last season went out & spent about £40 million on incoming players in the summer & are now sitting in a Champions League spot.  

Take your time.

I can see that argument, i also see high quality players as more of an attraction to a prospective manager. Who wants to inherit s****?

Fair point, i just dont think that the big problem with this team is the weak positions, but more the way we are playing and the effect of Allardyces method. Dont get me wrong, i will support Allardyce but i just believe that saying this squad is achiveing its maximum because is shit (not saying that is your view) is short sighted and pretty naive.

No, quite right, i never said that and i dont think anyone on this forum has ever said that either.

However, quite why we should perservere with the belief that some of our players are up to the job when the evidence suggests they are not is beyond me (not saying that is your view  :razz: )

What?  We'd finished 14th in the Premiership the season before we signed those players and we weren't in Europe in any form.  We're a premiership side, that's enough to attract big players if you're willing to spend the cash.  Of course it also doesn't hurt that we've at least been in Europe plenty of times unlike most of the rest of the Premiership..

Teasy - Dont say nowt but Man City who finished 14th last season went out & spent about £40 million on incoming players in the summer & are now sitting in a Champions League spot.  

You think £15m is the difference between 12th and 4th?

No that would be 8 postions in the league table.

i know a man with a stat that could help you out with the last part of that post

How many signings were for Parky's daft figure of £25M?

Do you expect them to spend another £65M this window to make it Parky's daft 100M figure?

Take your time.

Fair point, i just dont think that the big problem with this team is the weak positions, but more the way we are playing and the effect of Allardyces method. Dont get me wrong, i will support Allardyce but i just believe that saying this squad is achiveing its maximum because is s*** (not saying that is your view) is short sighted and pretty naive.

No, quite right, i never said that and i dont think anyone on this forum has ever said that either.

However, quite why we should perservere with the belief that some of our players are up to the job when the evidence suggests they are not is beyond me (not saying that is your view  :razz: )

Potential=maximum ?  ???

Fair point, but it lead onto the point as to why they arent upto the job when quite clearly they all collectively have the ability to be doing much much better!

Do you expect them to spend another £65M this window to make it Parky's daft 100M figure?

Stop being so literal.

No that would be 8 postions in the league table.

Well said.

Go back & check page 1 for my views on what Parky was saying.

I just think your being silly saying

That was years ago, we were a champions league chasing side, in the UEFA cup.  We could then, we can't now.
The bit in bold in black in particular, of couse players will come most go where the £££'s are.

Stop being so literal.

:lol:

Will do, but Parky's set up a thread with a senationalist title and and nonsensical numbers and people have come along and agreed.  I'll not take him literally but he needs to put a wink to let me know when.

I see no need to change from the amounts we've spent up to now, average about £20M I'd say.

Potential=maximum ?  ???

Fair point, but it lead onto the point as to why they arent upto the job when quite clearly they all collectively have the ability to be doing much much better!

You would only believe they were achieving their maximum if you believed Sam was the best coach in the world. Other, better managers, of course could do better and the best one could get the maximum out of them. Some on here think that Souness is one of those better managers, their opinion of Sam is so low.

Stop being so literal.

:lol:

Will do, but Parky's set up a thread with a senationalist title and and nonsensical numbers and people have come along and agreed.  I'll not take him literally but he needs to put a wink to let me know when.

I see no need to change from the amounts we've spent up to now, average about £20M I'd say.

In January yes, then another £30m in the summer.

but Parky's set up a thread with a senationalist title and and nonsensical numbers and people have come along and agreed.  I'll not take him literally but he needs to put a wink to let me know when.

On page 1 I said to Parky "Obviously gutted about not winning best WUM 2007", the lad is after the 2008 crown.

but Parky's set up a thread with a senationalist title and and nonsensical numbers and people have come along and agreed.  I'll not take him literally but he needs to put a wink to let me know when.

On page 1 I said to Parky "Obviously gutted about not winning best WUM 2007", the lad is after the 2008 crown.

Yeah but the thread has legs because the sentiment is right.

Go back & check page 1 for my views on what Parky was saying.

I just think your being silly saying

The bit in bold in black in particular, of couse players will come most go where the £££'s are.

Glad we're in agreement on the true WUM king.

I think we're less able to sign ANY player another club is interested in than we were when Souness arrived.  I think this is evident in Allardyce's exasperration at being unable to pick up any of his original targets, none of which were trophy signings at all.  No need to tell those you managed to get that like.

Potential=maximum ?  ???

You would only believe they were achieving their maximum if you believed Sam was the best coach in the world. Other, better managers, of course could do better and the best one could get the maximum out of them. Some on here think that Souness is one of those better managers, their opinion of Sam is so low.

So are you saying that what Allardyce is getting from the players is possibly the best he can do according to his ability?

Just a genral question, i think we're diverging here a little Not looking to scrutinize your answer!!

I thought this was a wind up thread that would die on it's arse, but as some people are deluded enough to buy into this...

£100M on 15 - £25m players will get you 4 - 7 players.

Name me 4 - 7 players who's are currently valued at that (or even went for £10M in the last couple of years) that would come to the Toon now.

You think we can't attract top players?

The PL is now the No.1 destination of most top players in the world read the opening article.

Thought so.

I don't think we can't, I know we can't.

Fucking Steve Sidwell didn't even want to come.

Not good enough.

You know jack shit from what Iv'e read so far. Sorry. I just don't buy all this we can't attract quality lark.

Football is a speculative business model.

remnants of the old "fat bastard to blame for everything" era. And clearly bollocks too.

I thought this was a wind up thread that would die on it's arse, but as some people are deluded enough to buy into this...

£100M on 15 - £25m players will get you 4 - 7 players.

Name me 4 - 7 players who's are currently valued at that (or even went for £10M in the last couple of years) that would come to the Toon now.

You think we can't attract top players?

The PL is now the No.1 destination of most top players in the world read the opening article.

Thought so.

I don't think we can't, I know we can't.

f****** Steve Sidwell didn't even want to come.

Not good enough.

You know jack s*** from what Iv'e read so far. Sorry. I just don't buy all this we can't attract quality lark.

Football is a speculative business model.

remnants of the old "fat b****** to blame for everything" era. And clearly bollocks too.

Nobody bite

We don't need to spend man, we've got Alan Smith the worlds best midfielder/striker/right winger. With him in our team we simply cannot fail.

With signings like that it could take fat Sam £100 million to get us into the top 10.

I thought that was Parky's original point. ;)

Not taking what Parky says completely literally, i wholeheartedly agree with the principle.

I knew you would. :razz:

But I was hoping for a deeper insight from you.  :undecided:

There are still a few deluded souls who think we could get more out of our players but most recognise that, on the whole, the squad is where it ought to be in the prem.

We need 2 defenders, 3 midfielders and 2 strikers of higher quality than anyone already at the club to be where Ashley said he wanted the club to be in the next few years. I think over the next 18 months, £100m (spent not net spend) isnt far off.

Are you categorically saying that the current pefomrances of our individuals are the best we'll ever see of them? Scratch that, not even "best" but a true reflection of what they genreally capable of?

No. He's saying that we need 2 defenders, 3 midfielders and 2 strikers of high quality if we are to seriously challenge the top clubs.

And, despite what you think, we aren't going to do this by looking around for cheap young players and cheap foreigners and bargains.

Mick will confirm this is how the club was run for decades prior to 1992.

Yeah but the thread has legs because the sentiment is right.

It has legs like his Shearer Seriously thread, he knows the buttons to press but in much more subtle way than a Talksport  presenter.