We'll need to spend close to £100m between now and the end of the summer 2008..

Parky

I don't think we need to spend that much. We just need a couple of creative players who make the team tick, a la Bellamy and Robert. The problem is, they need to be the right two players, and soon, otherwise we'll continue to slip backwards, and it's highly unlikely we'll get it that spot on straight away.

Depends on your ambition. I agree the "right" couple of players, and sensible team selections, could still get us into the top 6.

But to go higher than that, demands more. Much more.

Yeah, the issue is getting the right two. For what it's worth, I think if we got that right then it wouldn't be too difficult to build on to an extent. There'll come a point when we need to spend big bucks to go top 4, but I think doing it now when we're a mid table team is the wrong time. We need to establish ourselves as European contendors on out own merits before we really splash the cash, otherwise it could be a recipe for disaster imo.

I don't think we need to spend that much. We just need a couple of creative players who make the team tick, a la Bellamy and Robert. The problem is, they need to be the right two players, and soon, otherwise we'll continue to slip backwards, and it's highly unlikely we'll get it that spot on straight away.

Depends on your ambition. I agree the "right" couple of players, and sensible team selections, could still get us into the top 6.

Yeah, the issue is getting the right two. For what it's worth, I think if we got that right then it wouldn't be too difficult to build on to an extent. There'll come a point when we need to spend big bucks to go top 4, but I think doing it now when we're a mid table team is the wrong time. We need to establish ourselves as European contendors on out own merits before we really splash the cash, otherwise it could be a recipe for disaster imo.

Drivel.

Drivel.

£100M to get in the intertoto cup you reckon then?

Drivel.

Apparently we only need two players?  :laugh: mackems.gif

Drivel.

Apparently we only need two players?  :laugh: mackems.gif

Who does this £100M needs to be spent on then, to get us competing with West Ham (who are 1 place above us at the moment  :idiot2: ) ?

And last time we finished 7th, who were our first 11?

Given

Boumsong

Ramage

Babayaro

Bramble

Zogbia

Solano

Parker

Emre

Shearer

Ameobi

So, are you saying who we've brought in at the back aren't as good as Boumsong, Babayaro or Bramble?

That, Owen is no match for an over the hill Shearer who got 10 goals that year?

Parker was hardly a legend either,  Butt is comparable, Faye probably better.

So we're basically a Solano away.

The main obstacle to our going up the league is the manager and his tactics, NOT the players at his disposal.  If he gets a creative midfielder in the window, he's got no excuses.

Given

Boumsong

Ramage

Babayaro

Bramble

Zogbia

Solano

Parker

Emre

Shearer

Ameobi

So, are you saying who we've brought in at the back aren't as good as Boumsong or Bramble?

The main obstacle to our going up the league is the manager and his tactics, NOT the players at his disposal.  If he gets a creative midfielder in the window, he's got no excuses.

That post would only be mildly relevant if no other team had spent any money or bought anyone since then.

Carry on with the Ostrich trick.

how we got 7th was nothing but a freak run of results considering the team we put on the field and teams above us simply not picking up points.

We parted company with Souness which created a good feeling around the players and roeder got them playing amazingly well considering his shortcomings of a manager

Given

Boumsong

Ramage

Babayaro

Bramble

Zogbia

Solano

Parker

Emre

Shearer

Ameobi

So, are you saying who we've brought in at the back aren't as good as Boumsong or Bramble?

That post would only be mildly relevant if no other team had spent any money or bought anyone since then.

Like Everton who are 6th but would only really add quality to our team in 2 positions?

Can't believe you're so keen to let Allardyce off the hook when he's brought in 9 (?) players already.

His management sucks, our players don't.

how we got 7th was nothing but a freak run of results considering the team we put on the field and teams above us simply not picking up points.

We parted company with Souness which created a good feeling around the players and roeder got them playing amazingly well considering his shortcomings of a manager

A freak run of 38 results?

:laugh:

Should parting company with Roeder not have cheered the players up too?

we were 14th?? when we parted company with Souness, roeder came in and results took an upturn.

hardly 38 games of freak results, from that far down in the league to get 7th with not having that many games to play.

Is a freakish run of results from ourselves and teams above us. fact.

Given

Boumsong

Ramage

Babayaro

Bramble

Zogbia

Solano

Parker

Emre

Shearer

Ameobi

Like Everton who are 6th but would only really add quality to our team in 2 positions?

Can't believe you're so keen to let Allardyce off the hook when he's brought in 9 (?) players already.

Completely ignoring the points about the amounts spent by other teams and the time these teams have had under the same manager to develop as a side.

we were 14th?? when we parted company with Souness, roeder came in and results took an upturn.

hardly 38 games of freak results, from that far down in the league to get 7th with not having that many games to play.

Is a freakish run of results from ourselves and teams above us. fact.

What are you talking about? We didn't finish 7th based on just the games after Roeder arrived, we were 7th over 38 games.  If it was just based on Roeders games we'd have been 5th or summat.

Given

Boumsong

Ramage

Babayaro

Bramble

Zogbia

Solano

Parker

Emre

Shearer

Ameobi

Completely ignoring the points about the amounts spent by other teams and the time these teams have had under the same manager to develop as a side.

Sorry I don't know what you mean, isn't Everton a perfect example of where we want to be headed?

Nothing to discuss.  We'd be bringing in 20 players to spend that kind of money because no £25M player is coming to Newcastle.  Struggled to attract a past his sell by date, injury prone Owen no-one else wanted for a vastly inflated £16M.

Cloud cuckoo land.

Very defeatist and highly dissapointing contribution.

They won't all be 25m pound players will they?

You don't think we have a right to compete fair enough.

....and no HP Roeder wasn't the answer.

Sam spent £25m on 9 players.

Going on his success rate so far, he'll be able to spend £100m on about 36 players, of whom 8 will be good enough for the top 6. So we MIGHT, just MIGHT, have a first team able to get us up there......just need the manager, and we're laughing.

You said we could be above Arsenal , and battling for 4th this season. Now you think we need to spend £100m to compete. Make your mind up.

Given

Boumsong

Ramage

Babayaro

Bramble

Zogbia

Solano

Parker

Emre

Shearer

Ameobi

Sorry I don't know what you mean, isn't Everton a perfect example of where we want to be headed?

We want to be better than Everton. They have at least 4 players that are far better than what we currently have and years of stability under Moyes.

We also dont just play Everton in the league 38 times and they'll be lucky to finish 8th this year imo. City, Pompey will be above them and they are in with Vila and Blackburn for the next place. In the light of this i refer you to the second sentence in this post. 

Given

Boumsong

Ramage

Babayaro

Bramble

Zogbia

Solano

Parker

Emre

Shearer

Ameobi

We want to be better than Everton. They have at least 4 players that are far better than what we currently have and years of stability under Moyes.

We also dont just play Everton in the league 38 times and they'll be lucky to finish 8th this year imo. City, Pompey will be above them and they are in with Vila and Blackburn for the next place. In the light of this i refer you to the second sentence in this post. 

Parky's "point" was that we need to spend £100M just to compete with those outside the top 4, I see Everton as one of those, and they haven't.

Moyes has shown and is showing that that is bullshit.

As the table on the first page shows, we've spent more recently than ANY of the teams you've listed.  In the summer one or two might have spent more, fine, still haven't matched our spending over the last couple of years, and won't in future.  NONE of them will spend close to £100M in the next 6 months.

Given

Boumsong

Ramage

Babayaro

Bramble

Zogbia

Solano

Parker

Emre

Shearer

Ameobi

Parky's "point" was that we need to spend £100M just to compete with those outside the top 4, I see Everton as one of those, and they haven't.

Moyes has shown and is showing that that is bullshit.

As the table on the first page shows, we've spent more recently than ANY of the teams you've listed.  In the summer one or two might have spent more, fine, still haven't matched our spending over the last couple of years, and won't in future.  NONE of them will spend close to £100M in the next 6 months.

We need to spend as Northern Monkey has just pointed out in the 'players good enough' thread. We have 2 good players or something.

We need to spend as Northern Monkey has just pointed out in the 'players good enough' thread. We have 2 good players or something.

To say we only have 2 good players when we have full internationals in double figures is hilarious.

To say we only have 2 good players when we have full internationals in double figures is hilarious.

Take it up with the Monkey.

We do need to spend, now and in the summer if we want to be where Ashley said he wants the club to be.

We do need to spend, now and in the summer if we want to be where Ashley said he wants the club to be.

Never said we didn't.  Bit of creativity/pace in central midfield should do it.  Stick with the average £20M a year we've always spent.

A far greater degree of success will be achieved once Allardyce settles on a back four and midfield that play together week in, week out.  Whoever they may be.  Far too much chopping and changing going on, the only position that should change according to opposition is the front two.

Only 4 unchanged teams since he started tells a tale (and it's not one of non-stop injuries).

Never said we didn't.  Bit of creativity/pace in central midfield should do it.  Stick with the average £20M a year we've always spent.

A far greater degree of success will be achieved once Allardyce settles on a back four and midfield that play together week in, week out.  Whoever they may be.  Far too much chopping and changing going on, the only position that should change according to opposition is the front two.

Only 4 unchanged teams since he started tells a tale (and it's not one of non-stop injuries).

Do i detect a hint of optimism about Allardyce there?

We also need to improve defensive positions and the strikers imo. Viduka will be in the knackers yard next year given his mobility this year.

Do i detect a hint of optimism about Allardyce there?

We also need to improve defensive positions and the strikers imo. Viduka will be in the knackers yard next year given his mobility this year.

I've always been confident that Allardyce can get us competing with Villa/Blackburn/Pompey for 5th -7th place. 

Never thought he'd entertain us doing it though.

Guest sondre

Given

Boumsong

Ramage

Babayaro

Bramble

Zogbia

Solano

Parker

Emre

Shearer

Ameobi

You serious? Lescott, Cahill, Arteta, AJ or Yak, would all easily go straight in our starting 11. Baines probably better than Enrique as well.