The Case for the Defence

danswan

The back 4 that started against Watford last May:

Nobby             Ramage               Taylor                 Carr

Utter shite, I'm sure you will agree. 2 of them completely crap, 3 out of position.

The back for v Stoke on Sunday:

Rozenhal        Faye                Tayor                Enriqué

For Rozie read Beye, for me that has the makings of a top 6 defence. 3 of the 4 are Allardyce buys. There's also Caçapa and Rozie waiting in the wings, giving us some semblance of cover in the centre for the first time in a long time. There were signs against Stoke that they we beginning to gel and that they could form a strong unit which could be hard to breach, given a decent amount of protection. I know it was only Stoke....

That protection has got to start coming from a midfield which can keep the ball, and currently we don't have one. Sam's buys in this area aren't so good, no doubt. If he is building from the back then he has definitely improved us on paper. I just hope he gets a chance to really improve the midfield this window - Diarra certainly seems like a good start, but he needs to be paired with a creative partner and a proper right sided player.

The question is, does Sam know this, and if he does, will the players and/or the funds be available to get the right people in? If he doesn't, I don't think he will see another season.

All will become clear in the next 3 weeks or so.

We need a more mobile midfield breaker and someone to partner him who can actually make passes and keep us ticking over.  Thus taking pressure off the back four.

Do you reckon the back 4 has actually improved Gimpy?

I agree, I think most if not all of our signings looked decent on paper (although Smith seemed expensive and not required). The trick is for Sam to put them together properly and get them playing.

I hope Sam is buying Diarra to play the more defensive CM role and will also buy a proper right-sider in this window. If that happens we will have some decent balance.

We still need a couple of options for dangerous attacking midfielders but I reckon Zog could fulfil that role for now.

We need a more mobile midfield breaker and someone to partner him who can actually make passes and keep us ticking over.  Thus taking pressure off the back four.

Thats it

Thats it

If we pull off the Diarra move he will be it, but the other one of the pair is harder to think of. Maybe Sam has Nolan in mind for the other MF spot.

Thats it

If we pull off the Diarra move he will be it, but the other one of the pair is harder to think of. Maybe Sam has Nolan in mind for the other MF spot.

I remember thinking Nolan looked OK a few seasons back, hasn't done much since.

Not the answer for me.

Do you reckon the back 4 has actually improved Gimpy?

Faye and Beye are excellent.

Taylors still has lots to learn.  We could do with an expericed LB while Enrique settles in to the prem.

Roz N Cacapa are struggling at the moment.

Thats it

I remember thinking Nolan looked OK a few seasons back, hasn't done much since.

Not the answer for me.

Not sure about him either... would love someone like Xavi Alonso (I know that's not going to happen).

If the other midfielder was a 'string puller' in the mould of Alonso or even Carrick it would put serious responsibilty onto the wide men to provide attacking threat. We would need a more threatening right midfielder.

Not sure about him either... would love someone like Xavi Alonso (I know that's not going to happen).

If the other midfielder was a 'string puller' in the mould of Alonso or even Carrick it would put serious responsibilty onto the wide men to provide attacking threat. We would need a more threatening right midfielder.

Arshavin?

Seems to have gone quiet on that front

Arshavin?

Seems to have gone quiet on that front

To be honest I've only seen him in the England game, which I think is the same for most people in England! Can't really comment.

I think Zog could do a job, but he'll likely be called on often to fill in on the left and at left back, so not sure he can be the answer.

Arshavin doesn't play that deep, though. He's more of a Beardsley type player than anything.

Well I don't think anyone could argue that we could do with a Beardsley-type player. Doesn't seem to be any speculation regarding him doing the rounds at the moment though...

Guest jimmy1982

On the basis of Sunday v Stoke Allardyce was right in his interview with the Mag when he said Enrique isn't ready yet. He wasn't helped early on by not having a very mobile strike force to aim for, and his confidence on the ball dwindled as the match went on. Certainly a prospect for the future though. Beye and Faye are absolutely top notch and hopefully Taylor can start to realise his potential in a more experienced and settled unit. I'm happy with Cacapa and Roz as central cover this season - it might be that Roz is better next year when he's got used to the style of football, but I never want to see him at full back again.

I still reckon Nicky Butt can do an excellent job for us protecting the back 4, as long as we can get someone next to him who's gooing to drive us forward when we win the ball and let Butt concentrate on the more defensive job he does best.

On the basis of Sunday v Stoke Allardyce was right in his interview with the Mag when he said Enrique isn't ready yet. He wasn't helped early on by not having a very mobile strike force to aim for, and his confidence on the ball dwindled as the match went on. Certainly a prospect for the future though. Beye and Faye are absolutely top notch and hopefully Taylor can start to realise his potential in a more experienced and settled unit. I'm happy with Cacapa and Roz as central cover this season - it might be that Roz is better next year when he's got used to the style of football, but I never want to see him at full back again.

I still reckon Nicky Butt can do an excellent job for us protecting the back 4, as long as we can get someone next to him who's gooing to drive us forward when we win the ball and let Butt concentrate on the more defensive job he does best.

Enrique is ready for me, just needs the games. He is quick and strong enough, his distribution would be helped if he had any options.

I'm impressed with what I've seen of him.

I think the personnel on the whole at the back and between the sticks is fine. Allardyce just needs to cut the chopping and change...particularly the centre-backs. Give two of them a run, the two he feels are his best, be it Taylor, Rozehnal, Cacapa or Faye and stick with it.

Enrique is ready for me, just needs the games. He is quick and strong enough, his distribution would be helped if he had any options.

Is the right answer.

--------------Given-------------

Beye--Taylor--Faye--Enrique

That line up for me is his best, and he should be trying to play it as much as possible. I'd have Faye next to Enrique and Taylor between the two experienced guys to help them out a bit more.

Experience--Youth--Experience--Youth instead of Experience--Experience--Youth--Youth.

In essence that should work well, stick Diarra in front of them and that should look somewhat a decent and solid unit.

Guest jimmy1982

Aye possibly - there's only one way of finding out I suppose and that's to give hime a run of games. Physically he definitely looks up to it, I just think it's pace of the game and the speed of decision making, particularly on the ball, that he looked a bit shaky with. As you say that'll be helped if we get more good movement off the ball and options to pass to (ie if Smith was playing up front), but I can understand why Sam has been holding him back - if you put a youngun in when they're not ready you risk shattering their confidence and setting their development back a few years. When he cost so much I can see why Sam might be a bit protective of him... on the other hand you could say a 6 million player should be more or less ready to go I suppose.

Yep, exactly O.Nut - the defensive personnel is absolutely fine. I'd actually be quite disappointed if we brought in someone like Brown because it's not needed, and would disrupt any continuity that we seldom already have. And again like you say, he needs to stick with defenders now. It's a bastard that Faye and Beye are out.

That line up for me is his best, and he should be trying to play it as much as possible. I'd have Faye next to Enrique and Taylor between the two experienced guys to help them out a bit more.

Experience--Youth--Experience--Youth instead of Experience--Experience--Youth--Youth.

In essence that should work well, stick Diarra in front of them and that should look somewhat a decent and solid unit.

Agree with this currently, as well. But if Brown were to come, then I'd like to see him played alongside Taylor and Faye deployed in front of them, with Diarra pushed on a little bit.

Yep, exactly O.Nut - the defensive personnel is absolutely fine. I'd actually be quite disappointed if we brought in someone like Brown because it's not needed, and would disrupt any continuity that we seldom already have. And again like you say, he needs to stick with defenders now. It's a bastard that Faye and Beye are out.

I would go as far as to say that that defence is potentially as good as any I have seen here. Hopefully we will start to see them have a positive effect on results.

I would like to have seen that defence married with Keegan's front 6 :o

I think Enrique is probably ready too but ideally in a 4-4-2 I'd like to see someone more reliable defensively than N'Zogbia in front of him as he gives little protection (for all Sam's insistence on playing him at LB)  A newly fit Duff could fit the bill.

Agree with this currently, as well. But if Brown were to come, then I'd like to see him played alongside Taylor and Faye deployed in front of them, with Diarra pushed on a little bit.

Would Diarra be sufficient to push on for the entire central position?

I'd certainly accommodate Brown if we sign him, but i think i'd probably drop Taylor, depending on whether he can get back on form while the ANC is on.