Why no foreigner?

number09

Well, I was really shocked to see Big Sam go - but we need to move on now. I regard Mr. Ashley as a clever businessman so I am sure he makes the right appointment... but who will it be. I am not so sure that it will be an englishman. What about Hitzfeld (leaving Bayern in summer (latest)), Klinsmann, Houllier or even Hiddink?

Hiddink - no chance until after the euros

Hitzfeld - would he come? does he even speak English?

Klinsmann - no more qualified than Terry venables

Houllier - agreed, but not much better than Hughes or Redknapp

Guest kwdavis

100% shearer keegan to take charge thats why no foreigner

After everything else I have been hearing, I wouldn't mind that at all - it could be a dream combination!

I think I'll wait for an official statement from NUFC confirming they are after a british manager rather than Sky's "we understand an experienced British manager". As was seen with the FA's search for a manager, there are no British managers that anyone can think of who they would be happy with.

Guest thenorthumbrian

is there anything official on it not being a foreigner?

I hope its not true, It seems mental to rule anyone out and there are no British managers who are realistic targets who would be that inspiring.

is there anything official on it not being a foreigner?

I hope its not true, It seems mental to rule anyone out and there are no British managers who are realistic targets who would be that inspiring.

If Ashley knows who he wants then it makes sense if he's ruled out a foreign manager.

If they're saying it's not a foreigner, then my guess is that they know who the new man will be. If they don't know who it is yet, I can't see that they would rule out a foreigner manager. Unless it's to throw the media of the scent.

I think what's happening is that they've targeted a specific, currently employed British manager. I doubt they've ruled foreigners out altogether. If their initial approach for whichever manager they have targeted is knocked back, they'll pursue other avenues.

I think what's happening is that they've targeted a specific, currently employed British manager. I doubt they've ruled foreigners out altogether. If their initial approach for whichever manager they have targeted is knocked back, they'll pursue other avenues.

Let's hope they get knocked back then.