Mark Hughes

James

blackburn played some awful football against bolton the other night and were 2nd best for the first half before scraping a lucky win. didn't see too much different from allardyce's newcastle side in all honesty.

I've seen them play some decent football during his reign. You're not basing your opinion on one match are you (lets not forgot to go to the Reebok and play good football is not an easy task for any team)?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Why is he flavour of the month. I would say that is David Moyes.

He is the best up and coming manager in the league, bar none. He has consistently proved that he has what it take ssince taking the Wales job 5 years ago.

blackburn played some awful football against bolton the other night and were 2nd best for the first half before scraping a lucky win. didn't see too much different from allardyce's newcastle side in all honesty.

I've seen them play some decent football during his reign. You're not basing your opinion on one match are you (lets not forgot to go to the Reebok and play good football is not an easy task for any team)?

i havent seen much of blackburn this season which is apparently when they've been playing this good, fluent football, tho they played crap football against us. but in the past few years whenever i've seen them they've always seemed like a dirty side who don't play a great amount of good football. they've a couple of good footballers who can pull something out the bag like bentley or santa cruz but i don't see them as a team being fluent and creative. but maybe i've just missed them when they've played well.

i havent seen much of blackburn this season which is apparently when they've been playing this good, fluent football, tho they played crap football against us. but in the past few years whenever i've seen them they've always seemed like a dirty side who don't play a great amount of good football. they've a couple of good footballers who can pull something out the bag like bentley or santa cruz but i don't see them as a team being fluent and creative. but maybe i've just missed them when they've played well.

To each their own but we should all remember that Hughes is on a fairly tight budget at Blackburn all things considered; I think he's done very well on not a lot of money and pulled some real bargains out the proverbial bag.

There really isn't much in the Premiership that is different to "Allardyces Newcastle side", bar Arsenal,Manure and Chelsea and we've no hope of getting their managers.

After that it's made up of the other teams who have their moments, the perennial strugglers and the yo-yo's.

Hughes is probably the best (realistic) bet.

Guest Knightrider

To each their own but we should all remember that Allardyce is on a fairly tight budget at Bolton all things considered; I think he's done very well on not a lot of money and pulled some real bargains out the proverbial bag.

There really isn't much in the Premiership that is different to "Allardyces Newcastle side", bar Arsenal,Manure and Chelsea and we've no hope of getting their managers.

After that it's made up of the other teams who have their moments, the perennial strugglers and the yo-yo's.

agree, i think that is the way the premiership is tending to go for the past few years - physical, robust, defensive, highly tactical, direct 4-5-1. just that allardyce was a bit ahead of the game and understands that way of playing more than others. on the downside that this is the only football he knows so can't adapt if the circumstances change - ie if there is a shift in philosophy so clubs follow arsenal/man utd rather than chelsea/liverpool or if he goes to a club that won't stomach his style. he also relied on a lot of backroom support which inevitably takes a while to bed in and he didn't get the time here. would hughes be able to adapt where allardyce couldn't? big question. he  did well with wales in a completely different environment which bodes well.

role model - it is great that he has managed to find such good players on a tight budget, but it is no guarantee he will succeed when dealing with bigger budgets, which is likely to be the case here.

I didn't say it would be, Johnny.

i know, just questioning how relevant that skill is. as htt pointed out, people said the exact same thing about allardyce and he couldn't step up to dealing with a bigger budget. others might knock a manager's achievement by saying he spent a lot of money, but i'd consider handling large sums as a far more important and relevant quality for a prospective nufc manager than scraping round the bottom of the barrel finding great bargains.

agree, i think that is the way the premiership is tending to go for the past few years - physical, robust, defensive, highly tactical, direct 4-5-1. just that allardyce was a bit ahead of the game and understands that way of playing more than others. on the downside that this is the only football he knows so can't adapt if the circumstances change - ie if there is a shift in philosophy so clubs follow arsenal/man utd rather than chelsea/liverpool or if he goes to a club that won't stomach his style. he also relied on a lot of backroom support which inevitably takes a while to bed in and he didn't get the time here. would hughes be able to adapt where allardyce couldn't? big question. he  did well with wales in a completely different environment which bodes well.

role model - it is great that he has managed to find such good players on a tight budget, but it is no guarantee he will succeed when dealing with bigger budgets, which is likely to be the case here.

£9m odd for Bentley would be a good move.

Blackburn often play 4-4-2. they used to play 2 small quick strikers in Pongolle and Bellamy and now play 2 big clinical strikers up front in McCarthy and Santa Cruz so it's not like he only has 1 method of play.

Their midfield isn't even as robust as a Pompey.

Guest Knightrider

I hope we appoint Hughes. And I hope i'll be laughing when I read this thread back 2 years from now (omg, i'll be 30).

I hope we don't appoint Hughes. I hope we don't appoint KK really either, but if it's a choice between the two I know who I'd prefer.

Come to think of it though, it's getting to the point now where no matter who we appoint, I don't think we'll ever amount to much as a club other than what we've witnessed over the past decade.

I hope we appoint Hughes. And I hope i'll be laughing when I read this thread back 2 years from now (omg, i'll be 30).

I hope we don't appoint Hughes. I hope we don't appoint KK really either, but if it's a choice between the two I know who I'd prefer.

Come to think of it though, it's getting to the point now where no matter who we appoint, I don't think we'll ever amount to much as a club other than what we've witnessed over the past decade.

Aye, lets get Mourinho in.

Howay man, we'll win a trophy before either of us die.

£9m odd for Bentley would be a good move.

Blackburn often play 4-4-2. they used to play 2 small quick strikers in Pongolle and Bellamy and now play 2 big clinical strikers up front in McCarthy and Santa Cruz so it's not like he only has 1 method of play.

Their midfield isn't even as robust as a Pompey.

im talking about the premiership in general rather than blackburn in that post. by no means are blackburn the most extreme example, but their football does fit into the wider trend. pongolle played only 10 league games, someone like kuqi around 35 and dickov 21. i've said they have some creative players in the side but i don't particularly see them as a team who plays good football. tugay is a fine passer but so are ivan campo or gary speed who played the exact same role for bolton as he does for blackburn, aerial and physical presence when off the ball, and when on the ball long balls into the corners for the forwards to chase.

not to say he wouldn't play good football here, he is a young manager and has even at this stage a more varied experience than allardyce had when he joined us. hughes has managed two disparate situations in wales and blackburn whereas allardyce gradually worked up the divisons, going from ireland, notts county, bolton, all presenting similar challenges and overcome with similar strategies that he gradually built up until he was employing 30 odd backroom staff. ultimately i'm not concerned what kind of footie we play as long as we are successful but hughes hasn't shown any more success than allardyce at this stage. it doesn't help that his camera personality is mix of glenn roeder and mark hughes, both boring and dour!

Guest sicko2ndbest

HTT you seem to have lost all hope

I sincerly hope our next appointment is a success. I think Hughes would be great at the job because he would recieve great backing.

Some good points, some of which I don't agree with but I'm too tired to nit-pick.

Bottomline for me is. I believe Hughes can take us and himself to a level that I don't think Sam will ever be capable of doing.

okay, I will nit-pick on the charisma point. Sven/Arsene and even Sir Alex are hardly great charmers. I'd much rather watch Strachan or Holloway in an interview.

agree on sven and wenger, latter especially can be very dull. but he's a genius in other ways. still the point stands tho - it won't help hughes if he comes here, a club where facing the cameras, dealing with the press and overall PR is so important. agree on speed's passing here, but he's still a very good passer of the ball, as is ivan campo who is more at tugay's calibre. the turk was bought by souness too i believe. again i'm not talking about individuals as i think blackburn do have some skilful, creative players i just dont believe they are terribly great to watch or play good football as a team. even newcastle under sam had a good amount of players in that category, viduka, milner, n'zogbia, martins, duff, emre yet we never in a million years looked a good footballing side.

agree on sven and wenger, latter especially can be very dull. but he's a genius in other ways. still the point stands tho - it won't help hughes if he comes here, a club where facing the cameras, dealing with the press and overall PR is so important. agree on speed's passing here, but he's still a very good passer of the ball, as is ivan campo who is more at tugay's calibre. the turk was bought by souness too i believe. again i'm not talking about individuals as i think blackburn do have some skilful, creative players i just dont believe they are terribly great to watch or play good football as a team. even newcastle under sam had a good amount of players in that category, viduka, milner, n'zogbia, martins, duff, emre yet we never in a million years looked a good footballing side.

fair enough.

However i think most of our players are s**** and are passed it.

Hughes scares me I tell you ... it could really go all pear shaped with him. I really hope we aren't seriously looking at him.

I'm not convinced we will play great football, and I am not sure he can really take us to the top.