Ashley has failed Newcastle United.

Parky

Just one question (which I've asked before):

How do you compete for "top players" against Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool and now City without their revenue stream?

easy! by going into massive debts, punching way above your weight, in it up to your neck until your feet no longer touch the bottom. then you drown and fold. 

Regardless of the details the bottomline is that whatever CHANGES Ashley has initiated they haven't brought stability and footballing results.

He has PAID off the club's debt - that's a massive action no doubt but he simply used his financial assets to pay. 

Leadership wise he has definetely FAILED. In long-term he hasn't been able to inject any inspiration and motivation to his managers, players, club followers and media. Whatever insipiration he was able to inject in hiring KK was already slowly vanishing over the summer for the negative signs coming from the club. The rift between KK and executives is sign of poor management and organization - power games and politics played within the organization. Somewhere along the line Ashley has failed to recruit right personnel and cultivate organization where things that like won't happen or if they do at least they will be eradicated effectively.

Stepping in and making sure that Taylor's contract got sorted out quickly was type of leadership that he needs display more. Do the same with Owen and make sure that all the obstacles will be removed out of KK's way so that he can go on and produce maximum results. The strange behaviour with rumored wage cuts, player sales, recruiting old boys for the backroom jobs, lacklustre performance in the transfer market, etc. etc. does give a image of negative leadership.

In fact I've been really disappointed with Ashley's performance. I thought man with a massive business organization like his would be more talented and competent.

Fair post.

Nobody minds a stronger structure if the right people are in positions of responsibility and there are open lines of communication.

Ashley has filled his shops with cheap crap and built it up. Maybe this is what he's good at. Should have stuck to the formula and bought a shitty little club in the championship that you don't need to spend money on.

I just hope he sells asap to someone who actually wants to succeed at the top level of the game and understands that its only done by buying top footballers that the other top clubs want.

Notably, that having bumped this post, it is seen that the usual culprit has opted out of replying to me when he was found lacking ............

Ok, thats a fair post. So just to make sure I'm getting this right, you don't consider Woodgate and Modric top footballers that other top clubs want? Also, did Chelsea show a lack of ambition in failing to land Robinho ahead of Man City?

edit: i think it's laughable that you have a dig at Ashley for his private business strategy which has made him a billionaire from nothing.

Enlighten me, I didn't realise Woodgate and Modric had signed for Newcastle ?

Or even a top 4 club ?

I don't give a toss how Ashley made his money, he came into this club, knew nothing about football, and proceeded to prove it. Quite amazing that anybody can still not see this after recent events.

This has been coming for months, as obvious as the nose on your face.

Guest elbee909

Regardless of the details the bottomline is that whatever CHANGES Ashley has initiated they haven't brought stability and footballing results.

He has PAID off the club's debt - that's a massive action no doubt but he simply used his financial assets to pay. 

Leadership wise he has definetely FAILED. In long-term he hasn't been able to inject any inspiration and motivation to his managers, players, club followers and media. Whatever insipiration he was able to inject in hiring KK was already slowly vanishing over the summer for the negative signs coming from the club. The rift between KK and executives is sign of poor management and organization - power games and politics played within the organization. Somewhere along the line Ashley has failed to recruit right personnel and cultivate organization where things that like won't happen or if they do at least they will be eradicated effectively.

Stepping in and making sure that Taylor's contract got sorted out quickly was type of leadership that he needs display more. Do the same with Owen and make sure that all the obstacles will be removed out of KK's way so that he can go on and produce maximum results. The strange behaviour with rumored wage cuts, player sales, recruiting old boys for the backroom jobs, lacklustre performance in the transfer market, etc. etc. does give a image of negative leadership.

In fact I've been really disappointed with Ashley's performance. I thought man with a massive business organization like his would be more talented and competent.

Fair post.

Nobody minds a stronger structure if the right people are in positions of responsibility and there are open lines of communication.

Ashley has filled his shops with cheap crap and built it up. Maybe this is what he's good at. Should have stuck to the formula and bought a shitty little club in the championship that you don't need to spend money on.

I just hope he sells asap to someone who actually wants to succeed at the top level of the game and understands that its only done by buying top footballers that the other top clubs want.

Notably, that having bumped this post, it is seen that the usual culprit has opted out of replying to me when he was found lacking ............

Ok, thats a fair post. So just to make sure I'm getting this right, you don't consider Woodgate and Modric top footballers that other top clubs want? Also, did Chelsea show a lack of ambition in failing to land Robinho ahead of Man City?

edit: i think it's laughable that you have a dig at Ashley for his private business strategy which has made him a billionaire from nothing.

Or even a top 4 club ?

I don't give a toss how Ashley made his money, he came into this club, knew nothing about football, and proceeded to prove it. Quite amazing that anybody can still not see this after recent events.

Modric and Woodgate did, however, sign for a club that's clearly had to sell in order to buy.

Fair post.

Or even a top 4 club ?

We apparently bid for Rooney but we didn't sign him either, i didn't think the last board were lying when that they bid for him and i don't believe this board is lying about Woodie and Modric.

This board are making enough mistakes without you having to spout crap like that, just make rational NON EMOTIONAL observations because they're damming enough.

At what ever level the fuck ups are happening i don't know, but they're definitely happening. I hope this rather sobering experience brings about a reorganisation at the club that supports the main man - the Manager.

Fair post.

Or even a top 4 club ?

Modric and Woodgate did, however, sign for a club that's clearly had to sell in order to buy.

I don't really care about Spurs and am surprised that you are, having witnessed the utter farce of this week. You aren't defending the actions of the club this week are you and the fact that Keegan has clearly shown you that he feels he will get nowhere while they are running the club ?

Fair post.

Or even a top 4 club ?

We apparently bid for Rooney but we didn't sign him either, i didn't think the last board were lying when that they bid for him and i don't believe this board is lying about Woodie and Modric.

This board are making enough mistakes without you having to spout crap like that, just make rational NON EMOTIONAL observations because they're damming enough.

At what ever level the fuck ups are happening i don't know, but they're definitely happening. I hope this rather sobering experience brings about a reorganisation at the club that supports the main man - the Manager.

Emotional ? Don't make me laugh. Myself and a small amount of others, have been telling you for months that this was coming.

The fact anyone is seriously considering that Ashley has 'failed Newcastle' is a sad reflection on the jerky knees of some of our fans.

I can think of some other verbs for what he's done for Newcastle, 'saved' being the one I would go for.

As deluded as it gets.

Guest elbee909

Fair post.

Or even a top 4 club ?

I don't really care about Spurs and am surprised that you are, having witnessed the utter farce of this week. You aren't defending the actions of the club this week are you and the fact that Keegan has clearly shown you that he feels he will get nowhere while they are running the club ?

For once, can you just try not to superimpose a straw man argument over someone's post?  Where am I defending the club's ridiculousness this week?  You're the one who mentioned "its only done by buying top footballers that the other top clubs want.".  Mention of another 'top club' as a specific example and it's "WHO CARES WHAT OTHER TOP CLUBS WANT?"

And where has Keegan clearly shown that he feels he will get nowhere while 'they' are running the club?  I didn't see his announcement, obviously you must have.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day, same goes for negative fuckers.

The fact anyone is seriously considering that Ashley has 'failed Newcastle' is a sad reflection on the jerky knees of some of our fans.

I can think of some other verbs for what he's done for Newcastle, 'saved' being the one I would go for.

As deluded as it gets.

this a sequel? is simon the fag in it?

Fair post.

Or even a top 4 club ?

At what ever level the f*** ups are happening i don't know, but they're definitely happening. I hope this rather sobering experience brings about a reorganisation at the club that supports the main man - the Manager.

Emotional ? Don't make me laugh. Myself and a small amount of others, have been telling you for months that this was coming.

Telling who? You haven't been telling me anything. I never blasted the old board and i didn't rejoice over the new one, i just wait and see. At least know who you're talking ffs.

Fair post.

Or even a top 4 club ?

For once, can you just try not to superimpose a straw man argument over someone's post?  Where am I defending the club's ridiculousness this week?  You're the one who mentioned "its only done by buying top footballers that the other top clubs want.".  Mention of another 'top club' as a specific example and it's "WHO CARES WHAT OTHER TOP CLUBS WANT?"

And where has Keegan clearly shown that he feels he will get nowhere while 'they' are running the club?  I didn't see his announcement, obviously you must have.

Err...I think his actions this week cover that.

Look, I know that under the Hall/Shepherd regimes we achieved a lot and had some of the greatest times we've ever had. I'll not forget them for that, it was amazing.

But where were we at the end? Heading for the championship with a crippling wage budget, massive debts and Sam Allardyce as the latest in a line of hastily appointed and then prematurely axed managers... each given a transfer budget that the club clearly was struggling to sustain.

So Ashley comes in, thoroughly reviews the club and because of that decides he needs to change the structure. He does so, and brings back Kevin Keegan in the process.

We all think he's brilliant.

Then this week's events happen, and because there appears to be a disagreement between Keegan and one or more of the senior staff we're discussing whether Ashley has 'failed Newcastle'.

Moles are longer sighted than that TBH.

Fair post.

Or even a top 4 club ?

Err...I think his actions this week cover that.

However, he was all praise for Ashley in the press conference. Also, people saying Milner was sold without KK's say so, 1st thing he does in the press conference is say that was his decision. I believe him, personally.

I can only (IMAGINE what's gone wrong is to do with the other 3. Whether they're there just to do Ashley's dirty work or they've been out of order, the next few days should tell.

I'd guess, if KK stays and the other 3 are hoyed out (or some of them are) then we know Ashley backs KK, if KK goes it's other way around.

Seems simple enough, without a single fact and nothing but supposition to go on....

Look, I know that under the Hall/Shepherd regimes we achieved a lot and had some of the greatest times we've ever had. I'll not forget them for that, it was amazing.

But where were we at the end? Heading for the championship with a crippling wage budget, massive debts and Sam Allardyce as the latest in a line of hastily appointed and then prematurely axed managers... each given a transfer budget that the club clearly was struggling to sustain.

So Ashley comes in, thoroughly reviews the club and because of that decides he needs to change the structure. He does so, and brings back Kevin Keegan in the process.

We all think he's brilliant.

Then this week's events happen, and because there appears to be a disagreement between Keegan and one or more of the senior staff we're discussing whether Ashley has 'failed Newcastle'.

Moles are longer sighted than that TBH.

You're right it would be easier to blame Ashley if he actually had a clue what was going on.

Fair post.

Or even a top 4 club ?

Woodgate and Modric didn't sign for Newcastle, that's as obvious to me as the nose on my face, aye, i agree. not so obvious the rest of it. Fact is, Keegan mentioned Woodgate, Modric and even Nasri as players we have either bid for, or were looking at. Woodgate and Modric joined the Spurs "revolution", a London club playing in Europe, who's manager had just won 2 european trophies on the bounce. Nasri joined Arsenal. We tried to get them, but they chose not to come. How the fuck that is Ashley's fault I'll never know.

What's as obvious as the nose on your face is that the club is still recovering from the bullshit it had endured in the last few years of Shepherd's reign. We were in so much "trouble" that most fans were delighted with the Messiah coming back, because we could all feel that the club needed "saving".

Now let's give this lot a bit of time to signal their intentions and proceed with their plan. Fact is, whether you like it or not, Ashley owns the club, and will run it the way he wants to. In principle, he's already made a few positive changes which cannot be ignored. Yes he's also made a few mistakes, but who doesn't. How he recovers from these mistakes and builds on the positives, will determine whether or not he has failed us.

As has been said, to suggest that a man who bought the club a year ago has "failed" us, or even ask it, is as deluded and pathetic an idea as they come.

Going for Rooney was great because it showed ambition, even though we didn't get him.

Going for Modric was rubbish because it showed no ambition, and this is down to the fact we didn't get him.

:lol:

So you've learned nothing this week either then ?

This week has been a farce, there's no two ways about it. I have been a massive defender of the Ashley regime but even i can't defend this one.

This kind of thing should not happen at football clubs but when it does happen then someone has to take the blame and that for me is the man at the top of the hierarchy. Ashley should have his house in order.

However, there were alot of "farces" (as well as success) under the last regime, lets not forget that.

You're right it would be easier to blame Ashley if he actually had a clue what was going on.

We could go round in circles about this for ages, obviously we have different views about the merits of the new owner.

But if you mean that Ashley doesn't have a clue what's going on, then you don't know that and neither does anyone else.

This week has been a farce, there's no two ways about it. I have been a massive defender of the Ashley regime but even i can't defend this one.

This kind of thing should not happen at football clubs but when it does happen then someone has to take the blame and that for me is the man at the top of the hierarchy. Ashley should have his house in order.

However, there were alot of "farces" (as well as success) under the last regime, lets not forget that.

Ahhhh yes. But according to some, Shepherd shouldn't be blamed for his mistakes (e.g. the disastrous appointments of Souness, and Roeder, or the purchases of Kluivert and Luque).

Going for Rooney was great because it showed ambition, even though we didn't get him.

Going for Modric was rubbish because it showed no ambition, and this is down to the fact we didn't get him.

:lol:

So you've learned nothing this week either then ?

Something's not right at the club. As far as you and I know, they're working on it. The current situation is a farce and the buck stops with Ashley for that as the man ultimately in charge.

I was just pointing out some slight hypocrisy in terms of the Rooney and Modric bids. We failed to get either, so IMO they can be judged in the same way.

Hugely disappointing chomp tbh. ;)

Fair post.

Or even a top 4 club ?

Woodgate and Modric didn't sign for Newcastle, that's as obvious to me as the nose on my face, aye, i agree. not so obvious the rest of it. Fact is, Keegan mentioned Woodgate, Modric and even Nasri as players we have either bid for, or were looking at. Woodgate and Modric joined the Spurs "revolution", a London club playing in Europe, who's manager had just won 2 european trophies on the bounce. Nasri joined Arsenal. We tried to get them, but they chose not to come. How the fuck that is Ashley's fault I'll never know.

What's as obvious as the nose on your face is that the club is still recovering from the bullshit it had endured in the last few years of Shepherd's reign. We were in so much "trouble" that most fans were delighted with the Messiah coming back, because we could all feel that the club needed "saving".

Now let's give this lot a bit of time to signal their intentions and proceed with their plan. Fact is, whether you like it or not, Ashley owns the club, and will run it the way he wants to. In principle, he's already made a few positive changes which cannot be ignored. Yes he's also made a few mistakes, but who doesn't. How he recovers from these mistakes and builds on the positives, will determine whether or not he has failed us.

As has been said, to suggest that a man who bought the club a year ago has "failed" us, or even ask it, is as deluded and pathetic an idea as they come.

Well for starters, it wasn't me who titled this thread, it was Parky. Even though I agree with him and would go further, thats not the point.

Are you saying losing Keegan - and replacing him with who exactly - is a price worth paying ?

I know who I would rather lose.

As for "bullshit", don't make me laugh. 2 years ago we were in europe. And 52,000 fans we still supporting the club. Some bullshit. I can show you what shit is, its the state the Halls and Shepherd found the club in, thats shit.

Don't bother replying with bollocks about stadium debt, that stadium is an asset to the club, and all the other major clubs have similar or higher debts for exactly the same reason. The alternative is yuo think they should have kept it at a 36,000 capacity, and if you seriously think THAT, then you deserve to watch a club selling itself short which will ultimately only lead to the crowds going back down to 36000 anyway and less.