Ashley has failed Newcastle United.

Parky

From www.newcastlebanter.co.uk

Keegan and Ashley: Triumph and Betrayal

By Neil Farrington on Sep 4, 08 10:58 PM in

SO farewell then, Kevin Keegan - and congratulations.

Congratulations not only on leaving Tyneside - surely, for the last time - with your integrity intact.

No, congratulations on achieving arguably - hopefully - the greatest triumph of your career at Newcastle United simply by walking away from St James's Park . . .

And so exposing the businessmen - businessmen? - who purport to run the club (and so serve the most deserving fans in football) as the witless, conniving, mostly absent fools they are.

Cowards too, even if my strong belief that none of them will show their face any time soon in the city they have so callously betrayed is mistaken.

For even those few Geordies who felt no emotional pull towards Keegan; even outsiders who habitually gawp at St James's like rubberneckers passing a car crash; cannot deny that the conduct of Newcastle's so-called hierarchy this week - not to mention recent months - has been disgraceful.

For two-and-a-half days, Mike Ashley and his goons left a city which lives and breathes football gasping in a vacuum of rumour, speculation and fear.

Then they cast that proud town into misery with a pitiless cruelty that bodes worse still for United in the months ahead.

Apparently, that's simply the way Mr Ashley does business; the way he got to be the man he is . . . a sad, wannabe football fan and social adolescent (necking a pint in one, indeed).

Well,, I am pretty sure he has just made one of the worst business decisions of his life.

Having sown an ill wind, he must now reap the whirlwind.

Sure, he will have little trouble persuading the outsiders whose fascination with the Newcastle circus grows ever more morbid to switch their attention to the question of Keegan's successor.

Why, with more false promises, he might even tempt a credible character - from abroad, most probably - to take the job, Dennis Wise and all.

But I reckon Ashley's hopes of making a tidy profit from his ruinous flirtation with football followed Keegan out the door.

And even he should know that Newcastle itself will never forget the events of September 2008, or his part in them.

And will never forgive.

If Ashley acknowledges that fact - and his loyalty to Wise and co above Keegan suggests a detachment from reality - his backside may drop so fast and far in the next few days that he bails out of football to the first bidder.

Shame on him that he has left a city praying for such small mercies.

:clap:

To the point and a fair appraisal. Ashley Out.

If/When Ashley goes I'll be slightly gutted. The man has come in and saved us from inevitable championship football, whether that was through relegation or point deductions due to shocking finances. With Chris Mort along side him, he restored some order in the place and got the good feeling back. The appointment of keegan may have been an attempt to please the fans but I doubt he would have turned up each week to listen to the crap some supporters come out with if he didn't give a fuck about the club.

No-one knows exactly has gone on within the club but to automatically jump on Ashleys back is stupid. In my opinion the right man was there but the regime wasnt. He came and tried something that is working in the modern game but appointed a manager that believed in the old system. I'm not really supporting either party but comprimises have to made and no-one is bigger than the club. Errors have been made and mistakes have occured but to actively attack one of the better things to actually happen to the club is recent years is frankly suicidle.

If people want, get rid of ashley, sell the club to some foreigners who will bring in big names with massive pay packets to create a club that isnt financially sustainable. These owners will fuel the club with cash but won't sit or even listen to the fans - the real newcastle united! There are no proven football millionaires capable of taking over the club so whoever comes in will be new to it and will therefore bring problems of their own.

We have done a hell of a lot right in the last 18 months so to chuck it out of the window now would be a waste. We have moved forward for the first time in years, so we need to stick together and iron out these problems otherwise the club that we thought we loved and lived will be no more. The anger and frustration will pass (eventually) but newcastle united WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED!!!! keep the faith

Yeah of course selling the club to someone who will put good players on the pitch will be a disaster.

If/When Ashley goes I'll be slightly gutted. The man has come in and saved us from inevitable championship football, whether that was through relegation or point deductions due to shocking finances. With Chris Mort along side him, he restored some order in the place and got the good feeling back. The appointment of keegan may have been an attempt to please the fans but I doubt he would have turned up each week to listen to the crap some supporters come out with if he didn't give a f*** about the club.

No-one knows exactly has gone on within the club but to automatically jump on Ashleys back is stupid. In my opinion the right man was there but the regime wasnt. He came and tried something that is working in the modern game but appointed a manager that believed in the old system. I'm not really supporting either party but comprimises have to made and no-one is bigger than the club. Errors have been made and mistakes have occured but to actively attack one of the better things to actually happen to the club is recent years is frankly suicidle.

If people want, get rid of ashley, sell the club to some foreigners who will bring in big names with massive pay packets to create a club that isnt financially sustainable. These owners will fuel the club with cash but won't sit or even listen to the fans - the real newcastle united! There are no proven football millionaires capable of taking over the club so whoever comes in will be new to it and will therefore bring problems of their own.

We have done a hell of a lot right in the last 18 months so to chuck it out of the window now would be a waste. We have moved forward for the first time in years, so we need to stick together and iron out these problems otherwise the club that we thought we loved and lived will be no more. The anger and frustration will pass (eventually) but newcastle united WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED!!!! keep the faith

Yeah of course selling the club to someone who will put good players on the pitch will be a disaster.

To be fair, the players are the least of our worries.

The processes of obtaining and keeping players would still be problematic, as would the communication between manager and owner = nothing new! I'd much rather have a club that is united, sustainable and distinctly average than having this shit year in, year out.

If/When Ashley goes I'll be slightly gutted. The man has come in and saved us from inevitable championship football, whether that was through relegation or point deductions due to shocking finances. With Chris Mort along side him, he restored some order in the place and got the good feeling back. The appointment of keegan may have been an attempt to please the fans but I doubt he would have turned up each week to listen to the crap some supporters come out with if he didn't give a f*** about the club.

The processes of obtaining and keeping players would still be problematic, as would the communication between manager and owner = nothing new! I'd much rather have a club that is united, sustainable and distinctly average than having this shit year in, year out.

I'm sorry I can't share that vision. I accept your point however.

only way to hurt Ashley is hitting his pockets, whether he'll move on is open to question,he will be pigheaded and call the fans bluff, as for Clarence and the rest of the lions they won't go till Ashley goes.

:lol:

I would like to stress again, that while I don't agree with those who believe Ashley has failed (although he has definitely made mistakes) I am all for a far richer billionaire taking over and ploughing massive funds into the 1st team squad. Anil Ambani is more than welcome to make a bid, although his group are again denying they are going to make one.

the alternative of Ashley out and no one in I'm still not sure about.

The processes of obtaining and keeping players would still be problematic, as would the communication between manager and owner = nothing new! I'd much rather have a club that is united, sustainable and distinctly average than having this s*** year in, year out.

I'm sorry I can't share that vision. I accept your point however.

Of course winning things would be great but I like going to matches, travelling the lengths of England and Europe only to come home pointless, having a good old sing song with fellow minded fans, having a laugh with other club fans and receiving all the crap in return, walking around in my toon shirt announcing to the world I'm proud to be a newcastle fan, living the ups and downs that being a newcastle fan includes, having the excitment of walking through the turnstiles only to sit in the freezing cold, going to work on a monday morning wishing the weekend to arrive etc etc etc . . . . rather than being stuck in a silent ground of plastic corporate glory hunting fake fans.

Give me the success of man united, chelsea, barcelona and real madrid, but I'd much rather be a average newcastle fan having fun!

Guest thenorthumbrian

He has it in him to turn this round, somebody needs to speak to us soon. If they continue to hide it reeks of arrogance to me.

Spot on someone should tell the jokers running Newcastle that its not a crime to talk to the fans.

He has it in him to turn this round, somebody needs to speak to us soon. If they continue to hide it reeks of arrogance to me.

Spot on someone should tell the jokers running Newcastle that its not a crime to talk to the fans.

They'll talk when things have died down a bit and they've hired a new manager.

I find the title of this thread thoroughly amusing and misguided.

Because Ashley and Keegan have parted company under the management echelons of NUFC, pray tell me where Ashley has failed?

As far as I can see, he saved the club from oblivion 15 months ago, established a professional managemenmt team, set in place short and long term strategic plans for the club, wiped off most of the debt incurred by the previous administration, oversaw the sale of deadwood from the squad, actively seeking investors and marketing partners to piortray the image of club worldwide, sanctioned the purchase of quality players within the framework of the budget allocated and is currently addressing a plan to be debt free within 3 years.

His only failing, in my eyes, is to fail to return from America to deal personally with the Keegan tantrum.

macca888, the man who considered Keegan to be the biggest failure in football, rears his head, having backed away from numerous discussions with me about him. Which cockney tabloid are you reading these days to get your knowledge and understanding of Newcastle United from ?

How utterly predictable.

If/When Ashley goes I'll be slightly gutted. The man has come in and saved us from inevitable championship football, whether that was through relegation or point deductions due to shocking finances. With Chris Mort along side him, he restored some order in the place and got the good feeling back. The appointment of keegan may have been an attempt to please the fans but I doubt he would have turned up each week to listen to the crap some supporters come out with if he didn't give a fuck about the club.

complete load of crap isn't it.

The only thing that matters in a football club, is nothing to do with the "system", its the ability of the manager, and the degree of backing and support he gets.

I find the title of this thread thoroughly amusing and misguided.

Because Ashley and Keegan have parted company under the management echelons of NUFC, pray tell me where Ashley has failed?

As far as I can see, he saved the club from oblivion 15 months ago, established a <b>professional managemenmt team</b>, set in place short and long term strategic plans for the club, wiped off most of the debt incurred by the previous administration, oversaw the sale of deadwood from the squad, actively seeking investors and marketing partners to piortray the image of club worldwide, sanctioned the purchase of quality players within the framework of the budget allocated and is currently addressing a plan to be debt free within 3 years.

His only failing, in my eyes, is to fail to return from America to deal personally with the Keegan tantrum.

You lost me right there. If the team was professional (instead of a bunch of cokney wideboys who made their riches in timeshares -wise aside) then KK would still be here. Yes they got rid of some deadwood and bought SOME good players in but not necessarialy the right ones and they did KK no favours whatsoever.

There's something not right at our club.

The only thing that matters in a football club, is nothing to do with the "system", its the ability of the manager, and the degree of backing and support he gets.

The manager is a massive factor in success season-to-season, but only a well-run club can sustain long term consistency.

The manager is a massive factor in success season-to-season, but only a well-run club can sustain long term consistency.

I can answer this, with a comment I've used many times that shoots you down completely. But can't really be bothered.

its different to the last time Keegan left..........we had a progressive club and Keegan disn't leave because he wasn't backed by his board.

The fans were gutted, and the players were too, but we still had a great side and the club was able to carry on and also made what appeared to be in lots of ways the most credible replacement possible.

I have not known anything like this at this club, assuming the players are as pissed off as it seems, since Gordon Lee left for Everton in 1976.

Then, they were so pissed off with the directors and the club, they threatened to go on strike.

A lot of people didn't like Lee because he sold MacDonald, but in the end they were coming back, and realising that we were on the right road.

But him going had massive repercussions.

The spirit among the players was never the same. From a team that collectively saw the season out and motivated themselves to finish and end up finishing 5th, the following season was a disaster. We won our first game, then lost 11 on the trot and ended up relegated.

But in my opinion, the club were heading for relegation from the moment Lee walked out of the club.

I'm praying this doesn't happen again. If the players have lost faith in their owners, then Ashley simply must sell.

Congratulations not only on leaving Tyneside - surely, for the last time - with your integrity intact.

No, congratulations on achieving arguably - hopefully - the greatest triumph of your career at Newcastle United simply by walking away from St James's Park . . .

And so exposing the businessmen - businessmen? - who purport to run the club (and so serve the most deserving fans in football) as the witless, conniving, mostly absent fools they are.

Cowards too, even if my strong belief that none of them will show their face any time soon in the city they have so callously betrayed is mistaken.

For even those few Geordies who felt no emotional pull towards Keegan; even outsiders who habitually gawp at St James's like rubberneckers passing a car crash; cannot deny that the conduct of Newcastle's so-called hierarchy this week - not to mention recent months - has been disgraceful.

For two-and-a-half days, Mike Ashley and his goons left a city which lives and breathes football gasping in a vacuum of rumour, speculation and fear.

Then they cast that proud town into misery with a pitiless cruelty that bodes worse still for United in the months ahead.

Apparently, that's simply the way Mr Ashley does business; the way he got to be the man he is . . . a sad, wannabe football fan and social adolescent (necking a pint in one, indeed).

Well,, I am pretty sure he has just made one of the worst business decisions of his life.

Sure, he will have little trouble persuading the outsiders whose fascination with the Newcastle circus grows ever more morbid to switch their attention to the question of Keegan's successor.

Why, with more false promises, he might even tempt a credible character - from abroad, most probably - to take the job, Dennis Wise and all.

But I reckon Ashley's hopes of making a tidy profit from his ruinous flirtation with football followed Keegan out the door.

And even he should know that Newcastle itself will never forget the events of September 2008, or his part in them.

And will never forgive.

If Ashley acknowledges that fact - and his loyalty to Wise and co above Keegan suggests a detachment from reality - his backside may drop so fast and far in the next few days that he bails out of football to the first bidder.

If Alex is right, its got fuck all to do with Ashley, its all about Wise.

And will never forgive.

If Alex is right, its got fuck all to do with Ashley, its all about Wise.

This is just more of the same mindless tripe that has been flying around for the last few days. This evil system which has supposedly caused all the trouble is the same one that Keegan bought into when he agreed to join the club, and the same one that seems to have done a good job of strengthening the team over the summer. Now because Keegan throws a hissy fit, everyone decides that things were no good all along.

I don't think it's occurred to many that it might well be Ashley who's the one that's acted with integrity here. Keegan was trying to use his standing with the fans to force him to sack Wise. In many ways that would have been the easy option for Ashley - that would have kept the peace. But he decided that Wise was doing the job that he'd been asked to do, and there was no justification for sacking him. Regardless of whether you think the DOF system is the right one, at least Ashley was prepared to stick to his beliefs and not make Wise a sacrificial lamb, no matter what the outside pressure was.

And will never forgive.

If Alex is right, its got f*** all to do with Ashley, its all about Wise.

This is just more of the same mindless tripe that has been flying around for the last few days. This evil system which has supposedly caused all the trouble is the same one that Keegan bought into when he agreed to join the club, and the same one that seems to have done a good job of strengthening the team over the summer. Now because Keegan throws a hissy fit, everyone decides that things were no good all along.

I don't think it's occurred to many that it might well be Ashley who's the one that's acted with integrity here. Keegan was trying to use his standing with the fans to force him to sack Wise. In many ways that would have been the easy option for Ashley - that would have kept the peace. But he decided that Wise was doing the job that he'd been asked to do, and there was no justification for sacking him. Regardless of whether you think the DOF system is the right one, at least Ashley was prepared to stick to his beliefs and not make Wise a sacrificial lamb, no matter what the outside pressure was.

If thats the case and Ashley is the one thats acted with the integrity then he should get himself in front of a TV camera and tell everyone what really happened.  What were the proposals that the club have put forward and Keegan walked away from?  Christ he's had all bloody week to put the record across put neither Ashley or any of the goons he's employed to run the club and spoken one word since they took up there roles.

And will never forgive.

Good post - i just dont see the logic that people are forming there opinions from. The way i see it is that Keegans targets didnt fit in with the direction the club wanted to go - what were they supposed to do? Break that fundamental pricipal of the club in order to appease the messiah or stick to there guns?

The picture i see in my mind is Ashley sitting lonely in his mansion whilst Keegan has his credit card like a spoilt wife. 

And will never forgive.

Good post - i just dont see the logic that people are forming there opinions from. The way i see it is that Keegans targets didnt fit in with the direction the club wanted to go - what were they supposed to do? Break that fundamental pricipal of the club in order to appease the messiah or stick to there guns?

The picture i see in my mind is Ashley sitting lonely in his mansion whilst Keegan has his credit card like a spoilt wife. 

Why hire him then?