African Players...

Thespence

So you believe this thread should be closed and this convo shouldn't take place then?

Not at all. The thread is about whether or not clubs should sign African players in the knowledge that they will lose them to the ACN every other January. The thread can continue but I'm of the opinion that no matter how much one twists and whinges, the ACN in January are here to stay so they should be accepted and embraced.

Nothing more. :)

Hmmm.... i'd completely forgot what the first post said, apologies!

And what's more upsetting is i tried to edit to put one at the end of mine and in my rush couldn't find the correct fecking smiley. dammit.

Oh, and touche by the way.

You're getting far too upset over this. This is the way Africa have organised their football calender. No matter how much you twist and whine, they won't change it.

Do you hear African football fans complain because the winter Premiership fixtures interfere with the build-up to the ACN? Thought not.  :lol: 

Actually, yes, Laryea Kingston says in this months FourFourTwo Magazine that Ghana complained about Hearts schedule, so he had to tell them to shut the fuck up.

And the Hearts fixtures were changed as a result of the complaint, yes?

Or did they just ignore the complaints and play the games anyway?

No, but FIFA got involved and the end result was that Kingston was forced to leave one week earlier than had initially been agreed.

I still dont believe that the best compromise has been reached.

In the end of the day, fixtures aren't up to the African FA or the leagues, its up to FIFA who can specify exactly when players must be released to their federations.

That is why FIFA should step in, get everyone on the table, and see if they can find a compromise that suits all parties.

The idea of a universal international break appeals to me to be honest. It suits the international teams, it suits the federations, and it suits the clubs, especiallyifan extended transfer window was thrown in.

What compromise would you have suggested then?

If you fully read my posts you would have a better idea.

In summary (some suggestions I hadn't mentioned before):

Two international windows per season when internationals take place, and no other international breaks

Domestic leagues alter their calendars accordingly.

The January transfer window gets extended until the end of the international window.

Expand

I understand the rest. Which leagues take a break and when?

The likes of Spain and Italy move their winter break to fit in with the international window, and any other leftover fixtures can be fitted within those August/September/October/November international breaks that no longer exist. England also moves January/February fixtures into international breaks and extend their end of season by two weeks.

The extended transfer window serves as a sweetener, and as there aren't any domestic fixtures during this time, there wouldn't be any disruption from continuous speculation.

So you believe this thread should be closed and this convo shouldn't take place then?

Not at all. The thread is about whether or not clubs should sign African players in the knowledge that they will lose them to the ACN every other January. The thread can continue but I'm of the opinion that no matter how much one twists and whinges, the ACN in January are here to stay so they should be accepted and embraced.

Nothing more. :)

Hmmm.... i'd completely forgot what the first post said, apologies!

No need to apologise, threads go off tangent all the time.

The likes of Spain and Italy move their winter break to fit in with the international window, and any other leftover fixtures can be fitted within those August/September/October/November international breaks that no longer exist. England also moves January/February fixtures into international breaks and extend their end of season by two weeks.

The extended transfer window serves as a sweetener, and as there aren't any domestic fixtures during this time, there wouldn't be any disruption from continuous speculation.

So the Premiership has no fixtures in Jan or Feb? No FA Cup games either? Or am I wrong?

So the Premiership has no fixtures in Jan or Feb? No FA Cup games either? Or am I wrong?

I would have happily signed up to that if we'd kept Fat Sam!

Seven games rescheduled.

Given that most could be placed into the weeks of existing international breaks, it is no big deal.

Seven games rescheduled.

Given that most could be placed into the weeks of existing international breaks, it is no big deal.

Plus the 3rd, 4th and 5th round of the FA Cup, the semi finals and finals of the League Cup plus numerous knock out rounds of the Champions League and the Uefa Cup.

No big deal really... :rolleyes: 

When exactly would the season finish and start up again  in Jamesworld??  :rolleyes:

Seven games rescheduled.

Plus the 3rd, 4th and 5th round of the FA Cup, the semi finals and finals of the League Cup plus numerous knock out rounds of the Champions League and the Uefa Cup.

When exactly would the season finish and start up again  in Jamesworld??  :rolleyes:

You are exagerrating. ANC finishes on 10th of February. Let me knock up a Jamesworld fixture schedule for you if you give me a little time.

Seven games rescheduled.

You are exagerrating. ANC finishes on 10th of February. Let me knock up a Jamesworld fixture schedule for you if you give me a little time.

It was the "England also moves January/February fixtures" bit that misled me...

Take your time. Please. :)

I've got a crazy idea - lets respect the traditions of a long-term competition, and make allowances, when building a squad, for the fact that if you buy African, you may well lose them.

Or, buy shite like Geremi, the absense of whom for any reason will improve the team no end.

I've got a crazy idea - lets respect the traditions of a long-term competition, and make allowances, when building a squad, for the fact that if you buy African, you may well lose them.

Or, buy shite like Geremi, the absense of whom for any reason will improve the team no end.

Exactly.  blueyes.gif

Guest Andrew Flintoff

Not quite on-topic, but Amara Diané knocked a couple more in today for PSG. He's quality, in a team of utter shite. We should get him in here to do the exact same thing.

Ok, here is the JamesWorld Schedule.

With the exception of 3 new fixture dates that occur in May, all matches are played on a date where there was originally a fixture. I'm interested in people's thoughts.

August

Season starts as normal

4 League games

2 CL qualifiers

CC 2nd Round

One league game added to replace international.

September

6 League games

1 CL fixture

CC 3rd Round

Two league games added to replace internationals

October

5 League Games

2 CL fixtures

CC 4th Round

Two league games added to replace internationals

November

4 league fixtures

2 CL fixtures

CC 5th Round

1 league, 1 CC game added to replace internationals

December

4 league games

FA Cup 3rd Round (Boxing day)

CC Semi-Final (both legs)

1 CL fixture (completes group)

Two league games swapped with CC 2nd Leg and FA Cup

January

Last club fixture is 6th January

Two possible club fixtures:

FA Cup 3rd Round Replay

FA Cup 4th Round

International Window

7th January – 10th February

In 2007, 2009, 2011 etc Africans South Americans and Europeans play 6 qualifiers and 1 friendly.

In 2008, 2010, 2012 etc African Nations Cup, while other international teams prepare for major tournaments.

February

Season resumes 13th February

FA Cup 4th Round Replay

FA Cup 5th Round

CL 2nd Round 1st Leg  (No CL changes required, so wont bother to include them from now on)

Carling Cup Final

1 league fixture (postponed in case of reaching CC final)

March

5 League Games

FA Cup 5th Round Replay

FA Cup 6th Round

FA Cup 6th Round Replay

Removing an international break this month allows the 8th March FA Cup game to happen, without those involved having to postpone their 8th March league game.

April

FA Cup Semi Final

4 league games (potential postponement with FA Cup clash, as usually happens)

May

5 league games

FA Cup Final

Season finishes 1 week late.

International window from 19th May

Teams play major tournaments, or they play six qualifiers

Seen a few people mention the weather as a reason for not having the games in the summer! Should be alright for any countries South of Kenya, in fact the world cup in South Africa will be one of coldest tournaments held for a long time! A lot colder than Germany! Obviously couldn't have it in the North African countries as it would be boiling, there is also a belt of countries that might have the rainy season during the summer.

All this being the case they should assess each tournamet with regards to the country hosting it and look at the best time of year. I doubt sponsorship would be affected too much!

Its a disruption we can do without - clubs buy them because they are cheap and reasonably good value for money, but losing half a team in mid-season is definitely not a runner in my view.

This obsession with foreign players is going to have to come to an end - the whole game in England needs sorting out at grass-roots level so that we start producing decent players again - there is absolutely NO reason why this shouldn't happen, none whatsoever. The French did it, and we have a better long-term tradition in the Game than they do.

Also, I wondered how long it would be before someone raised the subject of 'racism' in discussing this topic - this word is an over-used way of closing down debate on things like this and Immigration, and I for one am sick to the back teeth of this stupid ploy - would anyone have raised this topic when SBR complained about Solano going off to play for Peru...??? And he was the LAST person who should have griped about that, because he used to be an International manager himself, and he would certainly have complained had Gary Lineker been playing overseas and not been allowed to attend Internationals for England...

Just because Africans are, in the main, black does not mean that we shouldn't be questioning whether their absence from teams is a handicap - the same would apply to Brazilians, for many of them are black, but nobody associates racism in discussions about them......

Football in this country needs a wake-up call and will get one soon - if the economic situation turns down as badly as some believe, Sky will not get their subs and therefore, not be able to provide the big money for the Premiership - a good thing in my view, and one that would significantly alter the short-term mentality of those running the Premiership sides ; it would benefit a well-run NUFC especially because of our home support.....