African Players...

Thespence

THEY should move them to whenever is convenient for THEM, if THEY think THEY need to move them at all... It's up to Africa to decide and everyone else to deal with it.

As followers of NUFC, we've got no right whatsoever to tell an entire continent when and when they shouldn't be playing football. We aren't nearly that important. To think otherwise is ridiculous. :)

I'd just drawn up a petition to get you guys to sign as well... You've blown my entire scheme out the water. It's like my life's work, down the drain   :-*

Righto.

K, apologies for the sarcasm, i just think saying that i was telling an entire continent when they should play football is a bit extreme, i was merely suggesting it in light of the current problems that have arisen. I mean, your argument states of a need for more exposure but then you state it is arrogance to have the whole thing organised around the major leagues in the world. Surely if that's who the exposure is for then it would make sense to arrange around this? Now, i'm not saying they should / should not move the tournament, I am just saying that a lot of people, including the players, think there may be a better solution. As a bystander, i was solely offering a suggestion as to what might help, not demanding changes, i thought the concept of such discussions was to offer such alternatives? I realise my view is of no influence whatsoever, otherwise i wouldn't be on here bandying it about!

I fully respect each and every continent / FA / team / player's right to their own view and to do things how they wish - doesn't necessarily mean i have to agree with them! I'm not trying to say English / European needs are greater, far from it, i'm just suggesting it might be right trying to work out a compromise - that would be good both for European and African football

If the ACN were to be held in June/July then it would lead to several problems. One is the climate/geography of Africa. Another is the fact that the ACN would inevitably be competing with either the European or S. American Championships or the World Cup for viewers, sponsorship and attention from the rest of the world. Any club worth it's salt is going to have a squad of scouts in Ghana in the next few weeks. Watching games and looking at potential players. Not sure that would be possible if it clashed with Euro 2008 this summer.

Africa can hold their tournament/qualifiers whenever it likes no matter how many European fans complain about it. Deal with it. :)

In fact, why don't you guys just shut this forum down? Ashley and Mort will choose their own manager after all, so there's no point discussing it, we should just deal with it, the players will play however they play, there's no point discussing it, just deal with it, etc. etc.

Get off your pedestal man, i'm just hypothosising a view. Read further up i quite clearly said it would probably be too warm to move the tournament, i said that having a winter break in the prem would be a good idea. Your view appears to be 'this is the way it is, it should not / will not change, stop discussing it'... And then stick a patronising little smiley on the end, nice work.  :yikes:

And what's more upsetting is i tried to edit to put one at the end of mine and in my rush couldn't find the correct fecking smiley. dammit.

Oh, and touche by the way.

You're getting far too upset over this. This is the way Africa have organised their football calender. No matter how much you twist and whine, they won't change it.

Do you hear African football fans complain because the winter Premiership fixtures interfere with the build-up to the ACN? Thought not.  :lol: 

And what's more upsetting is i tried to edit to put one at the end of mine and in my rush couldn't find the correct fecking smiley. dammit.

You're getting far too upset over this. This is the way Africa have organised their football calender. No matter how much you twist and whine, they won't change it.

Do you hear African football fans complain because the winter Premiership fixtures interfere with the build-up to the ACN? Thought not.  :lol: 

Actually, yes, Laryea Kingston says in this months FourFourTwo Magazine that Ghana complained about Hearts schedule, so he had to tell them to shut the fuck up.

:clap: :clap:

I'm not African, but I do now how important the tournament is to African football supporters who don't really have much of a chance to win the World Cup.

Actually, yes, Laryea Kingston says in this months FourFourTwo Magazine that Ghana complained about Hearts schedule, so he had to tell them to shut the fuck up.

And the Hearts fixtures were changed as a result of the complaint, yes?

Or did they just ignore the complaints and play the games anyway?

Hehe, i'm not getting upset about the ACN schedule, i honestly don't care, i'm sat around on the sofa at home and thought it was a vaguely interesting convo, what irritated me was you preaching to me about the matter, re-iterating things i already know and trying to make out that i'm proposing sweeping reforms of the African game! I just expressed a couple of ideas! Grief, are you on all the other threads telling people their opinions are irrelevant as they're not actually going to make a difference at the end of the day "however much they twist and whine" or have you just chosen to on this one because you mistakenly believe your soap box stance makes you seem more politically conscious?!

THEY should move them to whenever is convenient for THEM, if THEY think THEY need to move them at all... It's up to Africa to decide and everyone else to deal with it.

As followers of NUFC, we've got no right whatsoever to tell an entire continent when and when they shouldn't be playing football. We aren't nearly that important. To think otherwise is ridiculous. :)

You are right there, but I dont think international teams should have the right to play players whom have club commitments at the same time.

Given that ANC occurs on odd numbered years, why not just create a compulsory 6 week domestic fixture break every other January, and get the European clubs to play all of their international qualifiers in the same period?

Depends if you see footballers as products or people.

I cant see employers in any other industry paying their workers to go and work abroad for someone else for six weeks.

Ok. Do you see workers as products or people.

My point being of course that there are still players who have an emotional link to playing for thier country.

Hehe, i'm not getting upset about the ACN schedule, i honestly don't care, i'm sat around on the sofa at home and thought it was a vaguely interesting convo, what irritated me was you preaching to me about the matter, re-iterating things i already know and trying to make out that i'm proposing sweeping reforms of the African game! I just expressed a couple of ideas! Grief, are you on all the other threads telling people their opinions are irrelevant as they're not actually going to make a difference at the end of the day "however much they twist and whine" or have you just chosen to on this one because you mistakenly believe your soap box stance makes you seem more politically conscious?!

Aye, that's it... :rolleyes:

So, go on, why then?

No, but FIFA got involved and the end result was that Kingston was forced to leave one week earlier than had initially been agreed.

I still dont believe that the best compromise has been reached.

In the end of the day, fixtures aren't up to the African FA or the leagues, its up to FIFA who can specify exactly when players must be released to their federations.

That is why FIFA should step in, get everyone on the table, and see if they can find a compromise that suits all parties.

The idea of a universal international break appeals to me to be honest. It suits the international teams, it suits the federations, and it suits the clubs, especiallyifan extended transfer window was thrown in.

African needs might become more powerful as thier players become more and more key in the Euro game. Just a thought.

African needs might become more powerful as thier players become more and more key in the Euro game. Just a thought.

Totally agree... In fact i agree most opinions in this thread are pretty reasonable conversation points on a massively contentious issue - you can see why there has been no change as there are groundswells of opinion to support all arguments and counter arguments. It would be good if they could sort something (another IDEA, and very unlikely i realise, would be something like having World Cup every 4 yrs and then Copa America, Euro Champs and ACN the summers in between - that way, players would get the odd summer off which they constantly whinge about never having in Europe, all tournaments would get sole exposure on their summer and the world cup would remain as is).

So, go on, why then?

Because you appear to think you should be able to change the entire football calender of an entire continent so it doesn't have any adverse affect on NUFC. Or, if I'm mistaken, why are you against the ACN being held right now? 

You are right there, but I dont think international teams should have the right to play players whom have club commitments at the same time.

Given that ANC occurs on odd numbered years, why not just create a compulsory 6 week domestic fixture break every other January, and get the European clubs to play all of their international qualifiers in the same period?

Depends if you see footballers as products or people.

I cant see employers in any other industry paying their workers to go and work abroad for someone else for six weeks.

Ok. Do you see workers as products or people.

My point being of course that there are still players who have an emotional link to playing for thier country.

Both.

You and me have emotional links to things too, but do our employers let us off on pay to satisfy those emotions? We get paid holiday, but thats usually it. In that sense we are products.

But we are also people in that if we desire something enough, we can choose to work in a way that allow us to fulfil our dreams to the maximum possible extent.

No, but FIFA got involved and the end result was that Kingston was forced to leave one week earlier than had initially been agreed.

In the end of the day, fixtures aren't up to the African FA or the leagues, its up to FIFA who can specify exactly when players must be released to their federations.

That is why FIFA should step in, get everyone on the table, and see if they can find a compromise that suits all parties.

The idea of a universal international break appeals to me to be honest. It suits the international teams, it suits the federations, and it suits the clubs, especiallyifan extended transfer window was thrown in.

What compromise would you have suggested then?

I think he went for ignoring some basic facts about football, and inferring things should be amended to suit the EPL.

Totally agree... In fact i agree most opinions in this thread are pretty reasonable conversation points on a massively contentious issue - you can see why there has been no change as there are groundswells of opinion to support all arguments and counter arguments. It would be good if they could sort something (another IDEA, and very unlikely i realise, would be something like having World Cup every 4 yrs and then Copa America, Euro Champs and ACN the summers in between - that way, players would get the odd summer off which they constantly whinge about never having in Europe, all tournaments would get sole exposure on their summer and the world cup would remain as is).

Not bad.

Of course the money sucking thing that is the Euro game (light years removed from the original ethics and simple emotional alliances of yester-year) would be the main source of resistance.

So, go on, why then?

Because you appear to think you should be able to change the entire football calender of an entire continent so it doesn't have any adverse affect on NUFC. Or, if I'm mistaken, why are you against the ACN being held right now? 

Ok, this is what i've said (to answer your question, i've no objection to it taking place, i was just interested to see if another time would be more suitable for all parties):

A lot of talk about moving the tournament to the summer so it's in line with the euro championships. Be feckin warm though.

Not if it starts to limit the players' chances of getting moves to bigger leagues as the clubs can't afford to lose them though, which i think is beginning to happen as teams have become more dependent on their African contingent. Maybe now is the time to move the tournament as African football clearly does achieve a lot of exposure, hence the number of African players in the prem

I guess the best answer for all concerned would be take the Prem down to 18 teams and have a winter break like everyone else?

All my other comments are either repeating what i've already said or badly attempting to be funny. C'mon, it's not like i'm really having a go, i'm just voicing (very mildly i might add!) a view that it might be an idea to change something, whether that be the prem / europe / africa

If you fully read my posts you would have a better idea.

In summary (some suggestions I hadn't mentioned before):

Two international windows per season when internationals take place, and no other international breaks

Domestic leagues alter their calendars accordingly.

The January transfer window gets extended until the end of the international window.

All my other comments are either repeating what i've already said or badly attempting to be funny. C'mon, it's not like i'm really having a go, i'm just voicing (very mildly i might add!) a view that it might be an idea to change something, whether that be the prem / europe / africa

And I'm just repeating my view you, I,  or anyone else has a right to tell Africa to alter it's calender. It's none of our business. I'd be exactly the same if you complained about the laborious qualifying process of S. America for each World Cup. It's nothing to do with us as NUFC fans. We just have to get on with it. :)

If you fully read my posts you would have a better idea.

In summary (some suggestions I hadn't mentioned before):

Two international windows per season when internationals take place, and no other international breaks

Domestic leagues alter their calendars accordingly.

The January transfer window gets extended until the end of the international window.

Expand

I understand the rest. Which leagues take a break and when?

So you believe this thread should be closed and this convo shouldn't take place then?

Not at all. The thread is about whether or not clubs should sign African players in the knowledge that they will lose them to the ACN every other January. The thread can continue but I'm of the opinion that no matter how much one twists and whinges, the ACN in January are here to stay so they should be accepted and embraced.

Nothing more. :)