NUFC Kits Over the decades.

NG32

In the mid 1880s they weren't Newcastle United so wouldn't worry too much. :)

They weren't called Newcastle United, but they were the same club.

Contrary to what some people believe, East End and West End didn't merge. West End folded due to financial difficulties and the West End directors approached East End to take over the SJP lease, as it was the better ground. East End accepted, and some West End players and officials joined East End.

East End moved, and changed their name as they no longer played in the East End, and to attract support from all of the city. The club chose to celebrate it's centenary in 1992, because 1892 was when the club became Newcastle United in name and the city's sole professional club. In reality the club formed in 1881, as Stanley FC - changing their name to East End a year later.

The red and white stripes wouldn't have been an issue back then. There was no rivalry between Sunderland and either East End or West End. The city of Newcastle was more pre-occupied with the East-West rivalry, which caused Newcastle United problems early on, as East End fans resented the club's move out of Heaton to the home of their enemy. West End fans wouldn't support NUFC, because they were East End, and what's more they hated the idea of them playing at SJP. It took a couple of years for that to settle down, and the club was short of money.

Sunderland were actually supportive of Newcastle United, and played in friendlies to help raise money for NUFC. The word used in newspapers and reports of the time for Sunderland's attitude towards Newcastle United in the early 1890s is 'paternalistic'.

Nor was there any ill-feeling towards either East End or West End on Wearside. Arguments had led to some players, officials and supporters breaking away from Sunderland to form a rebel club, Sunderland Albion. So there was also a cross-town rivalry between SAFC and Sunderland Albion during the 1880s.

Really, there was no sense of NUFC - SAFC rivalry until 1892, the year that both West End and Sunderland Albion folded, and even then, it wasn't that strong - as Sunderland were a First Division side whilst NUFC played in the Northern League and then the Second Division.

It wasn't until the 1898/99 season - NUFC's debut First Division season that the rivalry grew to anything like we know it. The first competative fixture between the two sides took place at Roker Park on December 24, 1898. The Evening Chronicle that day in it's match preview remarks: "[previously] Sunderlanders smiled benignly upon these Novocastrians…to-day Jack is as good as his neighbour.”

And even then, it took until about 1967/68 for the rivalry to become hostile or violent on a regular basis.

Guest KeithKettleborough

The present strip looks a mess because there seems to be so many variety of sock combis that the players wear.

Cannot remember if its looked as untidy before but its definitely not a uniform uniform!!

The present strip looks a mess because there seems to be so many variety of sock combis that the players wear.

Cannot remember if its looked as untidy before but its definitely not a uniform uniform!!

The new kit is a fcking mess.

That patch thing on the back is god awfull and looks stupid. 

Guest johnson293

Whats the difference between the 83-85 and 85-86 strips apart from the socks?

Nowt - from 83 - 87 the home shirt and shorts were the same, except when the sponsor changed.

A replica (not Umbro) of that shirt is available from the club shop...

http://shop.nufc.co.uk/product.pasp?txtProductID=170205

Not sure about the socks mind, whether they did actually change or not?

Guest elbee909

[

Contrary to what some people believe, East End and West End didn't merge. West End folded due to financial difficulties and the West End directors approached East End to take over the SJP lease, as it was the better ground. East End accepted, and some West End players and officials joined East End.

So... a bit like a merging of the clubs? ;)

Just my opinion, but the strip with the blue northern rock logo from several years bacl is my favorite to date. Nothing to do with sentimental value associated, as many of you probably have with some of the older kits, but on looks alone it's definetly my favorite.

Just my opinion, but the strip with the blue northern rock logo from several years bacl is my favorite to date. Nothing to do with sentimental value associated, as many of you probably have with some of the older kits, but on looks alone it's definetly my favorite.

Aye, thats a canny kit, but the two most recent home and away ones have been shyte.

Anyone know where I can get last season's away kit?(cheap prefrebly)

http://home.skysports.com/images/playerpics06_07/Live/tottenham_newc2.jpg

Selling it on .com still, if you're an S, XL or XXL.