The all new official Albert Luque megathread

Guest Harry-Norway

It's academic anyway, 'cos what he didn't do last season doesn't count.....apparently.

I don't think people are saying that, they just want the lad to have a clean slate so he can have another crack at the whip.

On the contrary......

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php/topic,25350.msg474979.html#msg474979

.....and he wasn't the only one.

I've changed my mind and I now agree with you 100%, what a player does the previous season is all that matters, current form is utterly irrelivant in deciding wether someone should play for Newcastle......... :lol:

Seriously, the most important thing when deciding what players to play is form, how the player is playing NOW, not the previous season. If Shola Ameobi started scoring hattricks then the last several seasons of mediocrity would not make a blind bit of difference, he'd play every week in my team. As it is last season we saw Luque start 8 times and make a few short and late sub apearances. Which makes it even more obsured to think that you believe what he did in those games is more important then what he does this season. You've deleveloped an irrational hatred for a player and you're letting it blind you, which is quite typical of a large section of our fanbase. Wouldn't surprise me if you were one of the idiots at St James who were complaining about Luque's goal against Lillistrome.

Interesting post that I was going to reply to seriously until the last two daft sentences. Grow up, ffs.

1/10

poorest effort in a long while at dodging a well thought out and presented argument.

must try harder

Who are you, like?

excuse me?

Wot you done, like?

It's academic anyway, 'cos what he didn't do last season doesn't count.....apparently.

I don't think people are saying that, they just want the lad to have a clean slate so he can have another crack at the whip.

On the contrary......

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php/topic,25350.msg474979.html#msg474979

I've changed my mind and I now agree with you 100%, what a player does the previous season is all that matters, current form is utterly irrelivant in deciding wether someone should play for Newcastle......... :lol:

Seriously, the most important thing when deciding what players to play is form, how the player is playing NOW, not the previous season. If Shola Ameobi started scoring hattricks then the last several seasons of mediocrity would not make a blind bit of difference, he'd play every week in my team. As it is last season we saw Luque start 8 times and make a few short and late sub apearances. Which makes it even more obsured to think that you believe what he did in those games is more important then what he does this season. You've deleveloped an irrational hatred for a player and you're letting it blind you, which is quite typical of a large section of our fanbase. Wouldn't surprise me if you were one of the idiots at St James who were complaining about Luque's goal against Lillistrome.

Interesting post that I was going to reply to seriously until the last two daft sentences. Grow up, ffs.

1/10

poorest effort in a long while at dodging a well thought out and presented argument.

must try harder

Who are you, like?

excuse me?

Wot you done, like?

sorry, but i dont understand the question. In what context is the question? academically?

On the contrary......

1/10

must try harder

Who are you, like?

excuse me?

Wot you done, like?

sorry, but i dont understand the question. In what context is the question? academically?

You do reailse you're moving 'off topic'? Dave will get upset.

Luque is a useless piece of gutless shit and should be flogged immediately. Then sold.

How's that for an on-topic comment?

Topical and amusing, well done!

:wink:

Luque is a useless piece of gutless shit and should be flogged immediately. Then sold.

How's that for an on-topic comment?

Topical and amusing, well done!

:wink:

:( It's not meant to be amusing. I tried to do something amusing earlier on.

Guest Aussie_Toon

Alberto Luque is a very good player, although he hasnt played very well for Newcastle United as of yet....

Given Time he may turn into a very good Newcastle United player, but will he be given this time, i do not know....

Judging from recent performance he looks hungry to be a very good Newcastle United player and given a chance to play 90 minutes of football hopefully he changes your very pessimistic and 'god hates me' attitude, not just for everyone else on this forum who seems upbeat about the coming season and players who could very well make our season better this time round but for your own...maybe bring a little sunshine into your life....make you smile a little......maybe?

Guest UpTheDuff

Personally I believe Luque is a talented player.

I think it was unfortunate that his first game with us he was injured in and that hampered any possibility of him quickly settling into the team.

I have the belief that if he were to settle into both Newcastle and the way the game is played in the Premiership then he would quite easily be one of our better players.

We only have two fit strikers at the moment, and despite us looking to get 2 more in, plus Owen coming back next year, we really need to give these two our full backing.

It is not going to help either player's confidence if they are constantly slated. And lets face it, and strikers scoring ability revolves around his confidence.

Alberto Luque is a very good player, although he hasnt played very well for Newcastle United as of yet....

Given Time he may turn into a very good Newcastle United player, but will he be given this time, i do not know....

Judging from recent performance he looks hungry to be a very good Newcastle United player and given a chance to play 90 minutes of football hopefully he changes your very pessimistic and 'god hates me' attitude, not just for everyone else on this forum who seems upbeat about the coming season and players who could very well make our season better this time round but for your own...maybe bring a little sunshine into your life....make you smile a little......maybe?

Very good player? For us?

I'm a Newcastle supporter, I don't like it when some waster comes in, takes his wages and stands about doing nowt, showing no interest in playing for the club. So I'll smile when he's sent packing because I don't think he has the guts to turn around the shite reputation his own lack of effort has created for him. It's upto him, nobody else. If he does turn it around I'll recognise it and give him credit.

Guest toonelaide

I'm a Newcastle supporter, I don't like it when some waster comes in, takes his wages and stands about doing nowt, showing no interest in playing for the club. So I'll smile when he's sent packing because I don't think he has the guts to turn around the shite reputation his own lack of effort has created for him. It's upto him, nobody else. If he does turn it around I'll recognise it and give him credit.

My opinion is that his injury is to blame for his poor first season. Whether his attitude has been poor I don't know.

My opinion is that his injury is to blame for his poor first season. Whether his attitude has been poor I don't know.

Fine. My opinion is that it's little to do with his injury but more to do with his bad attitude.

Other than "he doesn't fancy him" from grassroots ( which begs the question... why?), nobody has been able to come up with a single opinion regarding why Luque wasn't selected last season by Roeder, even when he was fit. We even saw Ameobi on the left ahead of Luque. Roeder starts with Luque only when there is no alternative, doesn't that tell you something? If his attitude was good, and he has even half the ability some people on here claim he has, I'd expect him to be in the team every week.

Guest toonelaide

Fine. My opinion is that it's little to do with his injury but more to do with his bad attitude.

Other than "he doesn't fancy him" from grassroots ( which begs the question... why?), nobody has been able to come up with a single opinion regarding why Luque wasn't selected last season by Roeder, even when he was fit. We even saw Ameobi on the left ahead of Luque. Roeder starts with Luque only when there is no alternative, doesn't that tell you something? If his attitude was good, and he has even half the ability some people on here claim he has, I'd expect him to be in the team every week.

A reason I would propose for Luque not being selected by Roeder "even when he was fit" is that it is quite possible Luque was not fit at any point after his injury. Or if he was, it wasn't the right time to risk it.

We have heard that Luque's injury was very bad, he had a hugely damaged hamstring. I suspect that this would take a very long time to heal. So there was a long lay off. Possibly this would have meant Luque would lose a lot of his cardio-vascular fitness, because it only takes a short time of inactivity to lose your fitness.

So due to such a long injury, Luque may have had to build up his fitness after having lost a lot of his base fitness. This could take a long time, I would be very surprised if it could happen very quickly after physically being able to play football again. It may have required a longer program for him to regain his fitness.

With serious injuries there can also be confidence issues. It may take a long time to be able to play without fear of re-injury. Confidence is important in sport. At the elite level you don't want to be second-guessing about what may be putting you at risk.

All in all I suspect that injury needed a very long recovery period. His reintergration had to be a patient one as well, perhaps this is one of the reasons for being constantly used from the bench, it was going to take time for him to be fit enough/sharp enough to start.

Perhaps by the time this happened every game the club was playing had become a key game. Perhaps Roeder realised these weren't the right games in which to integrate a player recovering from injury and needing time to become match fit/sharp. Perhaps by the end Luque was sharp enough to be ready, but Roeder may not have wanted to take that risk unless necessary (like in the game against Sunderland), prefering to rely on the players that were already getting the job done in the nail-biting end to the season (remember how well Shola was performing under Roeder).

We can only speculate to what Roeder really thinks during selection time but I think the ideas of Luque not being fit in time to make a big impact on the season could be accurate, or at least a big influence on his season.

Guest Knightrider

I retract my Roeder doesn't fancy Luque statement. I think Luque's problems stemmed from his injury and inability to communicate. It appears right up until the end of the season Luque's English was poor but today he can speak the lingo well enough.

BTW were you at the game yesterday HTL? You'd have been impressed by Luque, who chased down lost causes, won himself two headers and pretty much put himself about. He's not that type of player though and it shows but it's at least heartening to see him try. He even had the Gallowgate singing his name.

I'm even more confident now that he'll succeed if he gets a run of games. I think he now understands what the manager/coaches want from him, what he needs to do for the team and what fans expect of him. Whether he can provide all that game in game out remains to be seen, but in his last 4 appearances he's tried to do those things that are being asked of him and gradually, he's getting there as evidenced by his excellent cameo yesterday, a cameo of skill, pace, bit of strength and determination that changed the game in our favour and almost lead to a comeback.

Guest Knightrider

PS It was good to see Shola communicating with him on the half-way line and the two basically chatting about their respective roles for the team in the game, Luque kept coming back when they had a corner, and Shola and the bench were saying no, stay up against their defender, with Milner wide right so as to give us an outlet.

Guest Knightrider

Have you noticed with the likes of HTL, they never offer praise or constructive encouragement to the players they want out, don't rate or dislike, when they do do well? Agenda? ;)

A reason I would propose for Luque not being selected by Roeder "even when he was fit" is that it is quite possible Luque was not fit at any point after his injury. Or if he was, it wasn't the right time to risk it.

We have heard that Luque's injury was very bad, he had a hugely damaged hamstring. I suspect that this would take a very long time to heal. So there was a long lay off. Possibly this would have meant Luque would lose a lot of his cardio-vascular fitness, because it only takes a short time of inactivity to lose your fitness.

So due to such a long injury, Luque may have had to build up his fitness after having lost a lot of his base fitness. This could take a long time, I would be very surprised if it could happen very quickly after physically being able to play football again. It may have required a longer program for him to regain his fitness.

With serious injuries there can also be confidence issues. It may take a long time to be able to play without fear of re-injury. Confidence is important in sport. At the elite level you don't want to be second-guessing about what may be putting you at risk.

All in all I suspect that injury needed a very long recovery period. His reintergration had to be a patient one as well, perhaps this is one of the reasons for being constantly used from the bench, it was going to take time for him to be fit enough/sharp enough to start.

Perhaps by the time this happened every game the club was playing had become a key game. Perhaps Roeder realised these weren't the right games in which to integrate a player recovering from injury and needing time to become match fit/sharp. Perhaps by the end Luque was sharp enough to be ready, but Roeder may not have wanted to take that risk unless necessary (like in the game against Sunderland), prefering to rely on the players that were already getting the job done in the nail-biting end to the season (remember how well Shola was performing under Roeder).

We can only speculate to what Roeder really thinks during selection time but I think the ideas of Luque not being fit in time to make a big impact on the season could be accurate, or at least a big influence on his season.

Ok, fair enough. If you're right we should see a different player this season.

Have you noticed with the likes of HTL, they never offer praise or constructive encouragement to the players they want out, don't rate or dislike, when they do do well? Agenda? ;)

Eh? What are you on aboot now? Are you deliberately trying to come across like some kind of spoilt brat?

I retract my Roeder doesn't fancy Luque statement. I think Luque's problems stemmed from his injury and inability to communicate. It appears right up until the end of the season Luque's English was poor but today he can speak the lingo well enough.

BTW were you at the game yesterday HTL? You'd have been impressed by Luque, who chased down lost causes, won himself two headers and pretty much put himself about. He's not that type of player though and it shows but it's at least heartening to see him try. He even had the Gallowgate singing his name.

I'm even more confident now that he'll succeed if he gets a run of games. I think he now understands what the manager/coaches want from him, what he needs to do for the team and what fans expect of him. Whether he can provide all that game in game out remains to be seen, but in his last 4 appearances he's tried to do those things that are being asked of him and gradually, he's getting there as evidenced by his excellent cameo yesterday, a cameo of skill, pace, bit of strength and determination that changed the game in our favour and almost lead to a comeback.

No, as it happens I wasn't. However, I heard reports on the radio and SSN, so I know as much about it as you do. Apparently.