The all new official Albert Luque megathread

Guest Harry-Norway

Guest UpTheDuff

I really couldn't care less for most of the posts that are being thrown around.

We are in the here and now. If Ameobi is improving his game each time he plays, then who cares if he was the most awful player in our squad? (I am not saying he was) I have not personally been to any of the pre-season games nor seen any highlights so I can only judge from other peoples opinions and from what I have read about Ameobi it has been fairly positive. Its not saying that he is lighting up the world with his dazzling displays, but he is growing as a player. If he can be a useful player for the squad then so be it. I say lay off what he did in the past and support him for what he is now.

I have never rated Ameobi, but that doesn't mean I dont believe he can do a job here at the club. Even the biggest clubs have their bit-part players. Ameobi is more than capable, in my view, of fufilling that role.

Luque... oh Luque. There are so many differences of opinion on this player. I saw him when he was in Spain, he had that touch of class that most people can only sit back and admire. Yes, he wasn't great for us last season, and certainly wasn't one who I would have jumped to see on the team sheet given his performances. I have always been a believer in players being given time to adjust to their surroundings. Luque hasn't exactly had the easiest of entries to a new club and has gained a lot of criticism from both inside and outside our club. I truly believe that his injury in his first game was a massive blow to the possibility of allowing him to adjust quickly to both our style of play and the Premierships. Take for example Dennis Bergkamp? He was slated right, left and centre when he first arrived at Arsenal. Im not saying Luque will be our Bergkamp, but im saying he could be our Luque...

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~874667,00.html

Albert's Full Of Confidence

By Ian Willis

ALBERT Luque says he is full of confidence ahead of the new season after netting his second summer goal in the 3-2 defeat by PSV Eindhoven.

The former Deportivo La Coruna forward netted in the 1-1 home draw with Lillestrom earlier this month, and having notched in Alan Shearer's Testimonial game in his last outing at St. James' Park, Luque's successful penalty at the weekend means he has now scored three in his last three home games - all at the Gallowgate End.

And the Spaniard is hoping there are more goals to come when the new campaign gets underway on August 19.

Luque said: "I am a different player this season.

"My legs are much stronger than last season when I was injured.

"Pre-season has been so important for me.

"Because my legs are stronger I feel quicker and much more confident.

"It was important for me to play and score after my injury. The injury lasted for 10 days and it was my back that was the problem.

"After three days' training I played against PSV, which was important for me.

"Scoring goals gives me confidence for the new season."

Luque added: "It was my girlfriend's birthday on Saturday and I wanted to score for her.

"Before the game I said that I would score a goal for her and the crowd.

"It was a hard game for us on the back of the game at Norwich on Wednesday.

"Some players' legs weren't 100 per cent strong and they were a little bit tired.

"There were some changes from Wednesday and PSV moved the ball about very quickly.

"But in the second half we were a little bit better."

By Ian Willis

ALBERT Luque says he is full of confidence ahead of the new season after netting his second summer goal in the 3-2 defeat by PSV Eindhoven.

The former Deportivo La Coruna forward netted in the 1-1 home draw with Lillestrom earlier this month, and having notched in Alan Shearer's Testimonial game in his last outing at St. James' Park, Luque's successful penalty at the weekend means he has now scored three in his last three home games - all at the Gallowgate End.

And the Spaniard is hoping there are more goals to come when the new campaign gets underway on August 19.

"It was important for me to play and score after my injury. The injury lasted for 10 days and it was my back that was the problem.

Luque added: "It was my girlfriend's birthday on Saturday and I wanted to score for her.

"Some players' legs weren't 100 per cent strong and they were a little bit tired.

"There were some changes from Wednesday and PSV moved the ball about very quickly.

it's nice to see he doesn't need Solano around as much to do the translating for him

If the manger spent time trying to adapt Luque's undoubted talent into the premiership maybe we wouln't have to faulk out 10-12m on at best good players such as Bent and Defoe.

Luque has talent and can score goals against top european opposition such as PSV, Real Madrid, AC Milan and Juventus. Why can't he do it for us? Not because he's a mercinary or a heartless person but because under the tenur of Greame Souness we played very little "football". Under Roeder he has significantly improved in my honest opinon and so may it continue.

We only need one striker in my opinion as we already have Dyer, Luque, Ameobi,Owen and Duff who can all play up front. What we need is an instinctive striker who will pop up in th right place, the answer is Robbie Keane not Defoe.

By Ian Willis

it's nice to see he doesn't need Solano around as much to do the translating for him

Apparently Solano was there translating, as usual. (In the Chronicle today.)

By Ian Willis

Apparently Solano was there translating, as usual. (In the Chronicle today.)

NOPE!

"He said, in his first interview to the Chronicle without the aid of his translator Nobby Solano........."

Link

Guest Verlaine

Bloody hell! That's skim-reading for you, sorry about that.

Good lad, Albert.

I think you should go to Clinton's and buy Albert an apology card. And write it IN SPANISH without your bilingual friend to help you. THAT'll learn you proper good.

Bloody hell! That's skim-reading for you, sorry about that.

Good lad, Albert.

I think you should go to Clinton's and buy Albert an apology card. And write it IN SPANISH without your bilingual friend to help you. THAT'll learn you proper good.

Can I use an online translator, please?

(I was apologising to LTA, not Albert - just to clear things up :winking:.)

[

From what you've posted I think we're close to agreement, you just haven't posted it such a straightforward way.  Ameobi isn't good enough for what we want and that Luque is a waste of space.

To suggest Ameobi is only good enough to be a squad player is something I'd agree with right now, and that Luque doesn't fancy English footballl is spot on, in my OPINION.

No, in fact we are miles apart. While you and FOOTSOLDIER are intent on looking at the negative qualities of said players, I am prepared to look at the positive, i.e, Shola's local links, recent goals record, running ability, etc...

Luque's undoubted class, finishing ability, and the rest.

You and Footsoldier are in agreement also, correct?

I have every faith in Luque. Why roder didnt play him last 6 games of last season i will never know. Would have given him time to settle when there was not much to loose. I think he is class and have even put him in my fantasy footy teams this year!

Please glen start with him and give him at least 5 games to prove himself"!

Guest Moe-Ali

I have every faith in Luque. Why roder didnt play him last 6 games of last season i will never know. Would have given him time to settle when there was not much to loose. I think he is class and have even put him in my fantasy footy teams this year!

Please glen start with him and give him at least 5 games to prove himself"!

[

From what you've posted I think we're close to agreement, you just haven't posted it such a straightforward way.  Ameobi isn't good enough for what we want and that Luque is a waste of space.

To suggest Ameobi is only good enough to be a squad player is something I'd agree with right now, and that Luque doesn't fancy English footballl is spot on, in my OPINION.

No, in fact we are miles apart. While you and FOOTSOLDIER are intent on looking at the negative qualities of said players, I am prepared to look at the positive, i.e, Shola's local links, recent goals record, running ability, etc...

Earlier you said....

Ameobi has played 200 matches, true - but quite a few of those have been from the subs bench or out wide. I would argue that his contribution is anything but poor in matches. He has won us a fair few pens and free kicks running at defenders and his recent goalscoring record has been ok. He's not a top class striker by any means but a useful squad player IMO.

Luque on the other hand is clearly a high class player, anyone who saw his goal will appreciate that except for the most blinkered. looks to me like he doesn't fancy English football though which makes him an expensive luxury.

We do agree, unless you want to retract the bits I've put in bold. You just have a 'more gentle' way of writing it, especially the bit about the heartless Spaniard.

I think Luque is finally starting to pull himself together, someo of his play this past Saturday was fantastic, he looks alot hungrier and fitter, he has also made all the noises about staying and the club has made a minor fuss about him getting the Number 7 shirt, i really dont see him leaving, at least until christmas.

He will thrive in the Uefa cup and hopefully in the premiership aswell, we are seeing more and more of his talent, like i said some of his skill on Saturday was blinding.

That said we cant really rule out anyone leaving, Woodgate showed us that.

Am I the only one that notices how HTL contradicts himself?

He said that something about us not seeing Luque in training, that Roeder was the only one who did that and therefore he was the one to decide on whether or not he was good enough. Then you also keep talking about how Luque is heartless and that he had a bad attitude, however, Roeder did during his time as manager last season never say anything but how Luque tried his best in training.

He said that something about us not seeing Luque in training, that Roeder was the only one who did that and therefore he was the one to decide on whether or not he was good enough. Then you also keep talking about how Luque is heartless and that he had a bad attitude, however, Roeder did during his time as manager last season never say anything but how Luque tried his best in training.

Oh no u're not the only one. Lots of people on this forum has pointed out his contradictions and inconsistencies and not just on Luque. Go read some of the other threads especially anything involving Shepherd and the board and you will see what I mean.

His standard reply to your remarks above would be along the lines of "surely you dont think Roeder should come out and say that Luque was crap in training". My response would then be, no we dont expect Roeder to do that, but equally he does not need to praise Luque if he is not working hard in training.  Afterall Roeder doesnt say much about Bramble, Solano, Zoggy training hard, so he could do the same for Luque too. Even in the instance, the interviewer asked Roeder specifically bout Luque, he could say Luque is training just like the others which is neutrel. For Roeder to come out and say not only once that Luque has been working hard and doing extra trainings suggests exactly that unles someone wants to accuse Roeder of lying that is. And after that, the debate never progresses as he has never given a response to that.

Its funny, he tries to to justify his own conclusion based on Roeder's unexplained actions (which nobody here knows the exact reasons for) yet finds excuses to not believe Roeder's clear interviews which requires no intrepretation. bluelaugh.gif

Pidgin English?

Oh no u're not the only one. Lots of people on this forum has pointed out his contradictions and inconsistencies and not just on Luque. Go read some of the other threads especially anything involving Shepherd and the board and you will see what I mean.

ditto. :lol:

[

Earlier you said....

Ameobi has played 200 matches, true - but quite a few of those have been from the subs bench or out wide. I would argue that his contribution is anything but poor in matches. He has won us a fair few pens and free kicks running at defenders and his recent goalscoring record has been ok.]He's not a top class striker by any means but a useful squad player IMO.

Luque on the other hand is clearly a high class player, anyone who saw his goal will appreciate that except for the most blinkered. looks to me like he doesn't fancy English football though which makes him an expensive luxury.

We do agree, unless you want to retract the bits I've put in bold. You just have a 'more gentle' way of writing it, especially the bit about the heartless Spaniard.

Well I've bolded the bits you seem to have missed just to show another perspective, pretty much different from yours with all respect.

[

Earlier you said....

Ameobi has played 200 matches, true - but quite a few of those have been from the subs bench or out wide. I would argue that his contribution is anything but poor in matches. He has won us a fair few pens and free kicks running at defenders and his recent goalscoring record has been ok.]He's not a top class striker by any means but a useful squad player IMO.

Well I've bolded the bits you seem to have missed just to show another perspective, pretty much different from yours with all respect.

bluebiggrin.gif

I read all of your post the first time, I didn't miss anything.  :winking:

The fact is, everything has a bottom line, which is the crux of it all and is  the really IMPORTANT bit. We agree that Ameobi isn't good enough for our ambitions and we agree Luque is unlikely to do the business for Newcastle because "he doesn't fancy it".

[

Earlier you said....

bluebiggrin.gif

I read all of your post the first time, I didn't miss anything.  :winking:

The fact is, everything has a bottom line, which is the crux of it all and is  the really IMPORTANT bit. We agree that Ameobi isn't good enough for our ambitions and we agree Luque is unlikely to do the business for Newcastle because "he doesn't fancy it".

Wrong. Ameobi might not be good enough for our ambitions, but he's a useful squad player as he has proved recently. Robbie Elliott wasn't good enough for our ambitions either last season yet no one is pointing out his lack of quality are they?

And if Luque doesn't "fancy it", why did Fat Fred bring him here?

For what it's worth Luque was the star of the show in today's training game (11 vs 11).

The final score was 6-2 with Luque scoring 4 goals and setting one up for Solano, showed some lovely touches as well. At the other end Duff and Ameobi scored.