The all new official Albert Luque megathread

Guest Harry-Norway

Guest Knightrider

HTL do you send threatening PMs to everyone who disagrees with you? Or do you just reserve them for me?

How old are you BTW? I'm 26 man and no I don't want to meet you for a fight.

Although you were right, I am a wanker  :lol:

:roll: Hmm, don't let the truth get in the way, eh.

I agree with your last sentence.

You're one sad little man HTL

How old are you HTL? apparently you are 98, though I've also heard that you accidentally clipped the 9 while typing your age into your profile.

Why do you ask that all of a sudden? Especially on the open forum, where you're going 'off topic', something frowned upon. Why not send me a PM to ask your juvenile questions, or is it that you revel in the support of other members, who will mostly be happy enough to believe whatever they read from HTT?

Howabout we make a deal, I'll stop asking juvenile questions on the open forum when you start giving credit where credit is due.

Give me an example of what I'm supposed to be giving credit, then I'll consider it.

HTL do you send threatening PMs to everyone who disagrees with you? Or do you just reserve them for me?

You don't stop, do you? But never mind, I know you'll have the support of the forum membership so I don't expect you to stop. You must find it frustrating when there are members around with first hand knowledge to question your opinions that are mostly based on second hand knowledge.

Guest Knightrider

You don't stop, do you? But never mind, I know you'll have the support of the forum membership so I don't expect you to stop. You must find it frustrating when there are members around with first hand knowledge to question your opinions that are mostly based on second hand knowledge.

Go away little man, take a cruise or something.

How old are you HTL? apparently you are 98, though I've also heard that you accidentally clipped the 9 while typing your age into your profile.

Why do you ask that all of a sudden? Especially on the open forum, where you're going 'off topic', something frowned upon. Why not send me a PM to ask your juvenile questions, or is it that you revel in the support of other members, who will mostly be happy enough to believe whatever they read from HTT?

Howabout we make a deal, I'll stop asking juvenile questions on the open forum when you start giving credit where credit is due.

Give me an example of what I'm supposed to be giving credit, then I'll consider it.

I need you to praise the following players for recent good performances:

Albert Luque

Titus Bramble

Shola Ameobi

Scott Parker

I need you to praise the following players for recent good performances:

Albert Luque

Titus Bramble

Shola Ameobi

Scott Parker

You won't like it, but your question betrays your lack of understanding, you clearly make up your mind what a post says before you've fully read it.

1. Albert Luque - I wasn't at the match yesterday, as I've already said to grassroots. Unlike some people on this forum, I won't post a personal opinion of a player's performance in a specific match unless I was at the match.

2. I rate Bramble as a good player. Doubt you'll find much criticism of him from me over the time he's been at the club, so I'm not at all sure why you suddenly want me to praise him. Perhaps you can tell me?

3. Ameobi - Same as Luque.

4. Scott Parker - I'm not that critical of Parker as an individual, I'm critical of his PARTNERSHIP wiith Emre in a 4-4-2 in the main. So again, not sure why you want me to praise Parker in particular. I do think he's over-rated by some on here, but I don't think he's crap. In a creative situation I'd select Emre, in a defensive situation I'd select Parker, but I wouldn't pair them together in a standard 4-4-2. Is that really so difficult for you to grasp? Is your love of Parker so strong that you think I'm slating him by saying that?

Finally, 'recent' performances don't mean a great deal anyway, what means something is consistency of performance over a period of time. Over the entire period Ameobi has been playing for Newcastle he's had some decent matches and scored some decent goals, that doesn't mean I think he's good enough for the ambitions I have to the club.  Over the entire time of last season Albert Luque was a disgrace. Even if the people who have seen yesterdays match claim he was fantastic, it would make no difference unless he continues this way for a good period of time.

If you have any further questions just fire way. Unlike some people, I will generally try to answer, just don't moan if I don't reply in 2 minutes even if I appear to be logged on. I leave my computer logged on even when I'm not sitting in front of it. ( That's for grassroots ).

Guest Footsoldier

Part of the problem here is that there are a number of children on this forum who really don't understand football.

Ameobi is a classic case as mentioned above. He's made over 200 apperances for us and is almost 25. Not a kid anymore. Yet he's only had a handful of good games and by and large, his goalscoring record is below average but more importantly, his overall contribution to a game is very poor. And yet, he scores a couple of goals....yesterdays goal was put on a plate by Milner although I've seen him miss them time and time again......and the kids suddenly forget how abysmal he is in the premier league. Totally forget which amazes me. Perhaps their gray matter or memory cells have not developed yet.

Luque scores a couple of goals. Same thing. Do it in the premier league where it matters and I'll get excited.

HTL is right on the money. Roeder did not think Luque could cut it last season for whatever reason even when he was fit. And that's a 29 year old, seasoned international at the peak of his game.......allegedly. Now there's amateur psychologists running their mouths off and searching out reasons even down to his English was rubbish at the end of last season but now it's suddenly good enough to communicate. Bollocks, I'm willing to bet he spent all of the  summer in Spain without cracking a book. The bottom line is he was rubbish last season and a total waste of 10 mill. It was a toss up who was worse, Boumsong or Luque.

Part of the problem here is that there are a number of children on this forum who really don't understand football.

You missed off the [/patronize] tags mate.  :roll:

Or in translation... "Part of the problem here is that there are a number of posters on this forum who don't agree with me"

Ameobi is a classic case as mentioned above. He's made over 200 apperances for us and is almost 25. Not a kid anymore. Yet he's only had a handful of good games and by and large, his goalscoring record is below average but more importantly, his overall contribution to a game is very poor. And yet, he scores a couple of goals....yesterdays goal was put on a plate by Milner although I've seen him miss them time and time again......and the kids suddenly forget how abysmal he is in the premier league. Totally forget which amazes me. Perhaps their gray matter or memory cells have not developed yet.

Luque scores a couple of goals. Same thing. Do it in the premier league where it matters and I'll get excited.

HTL is right on the money. Roeder did not think Luque could cut it last season for whatever reason even when he was fit. And that's a 29 year old, seasoned international at the peak of his game.......allegedly. Now there's amateur psychologists running their mouths off and searching out reasons even down to his English was rubbish at the end of last season but now it's suddenly good enough to communicate. Bollocks, I'm willing to bet he spent all of the  summer in Spain without cracking a book. The bottom line is he was rubbish last season and a total waste of 10 mill. It was a toss up who was worse, Boumsong or Luque.

Im not being funny, you call people kids and say they know nothing about football then make assumptions about what a player has been doing and throw in getting said players age wrong.

Guest Footsoldier

String me up.....everything is fine because Luque is only 28 not 29.

Plenty of time for him to learn.....he's just a kid.

How much have you actually seen of Albert Luque? Be honest.

Have you started your school holidays yet?

Such a mature statement.

To be honest I did nearly cry a little. Well thats it I cant debate with that wit on show, may aswell pack it in.

HTL wants response to footsoldiers comments so let me oblige.

Ameobi has played 200 matches, true - but quite a few of those have been from the subs bench or out wide. I would argue that his contribution is anything but poor in matches. He has won us a fair few pens and free kicks running at defenders and his recent goalscoring record has been ok. He's not a top class striker by any means but a useful squad player IMO.

Luque on the other hand is clearly a high class player, anyone who saw his goal will appreciate that except for the most blinkered. looks to me like he doesn't fancy English football though which makes him an expensive luxury.

Ameobi has played 200 matches, true - but quite a few of those have been from the subs bench or out wide. I would argue that his contribution is anything but poor in matches. He has won us a fair few pens and free kicks running at defenders and his recent goalscoring record has been ok. He's not a top class striker by any means but a useful squad player IMO.

Luque on the other hand is clearly a high class player, anyone who saw his goal will appreciate that except for the most blinkered. looks to me like he doesn't fancy English football though which makes him an expensive luxury.

I think footsoldier answered his own question. He does usually miss them, but under Roeder it appears that he's improving. I couldn't give a shit if he was crap 200 games ago, as long as he's improving now. Bellamy used to miss loads of chances too, but he improved. Wouldn't you want him in the team either?

Guest Knightrider

FS doesn't even go to games... if we are throwing about childish assumptoins like Footsolider.

Thanks, I understand what you're saying. If only a few more would make the effort to respond we might even get a debate going on this forum.

From what you've posted I think we're close to agreement, you just haven't posted it such a straightforward way.  Ameobi isn't good enough for what we want and that Luque is a waste of space.

To suggest Ameobi is only good enough to be a squad player is something I'd agree with right now, and that Luque doesn't fancy English footballl is spot on, in my OPINION.

Thanks, I understand what you're saying. If only a few more would make the effort to respond we might even get a debate going on this forum.

From what you've posted I think we're close to agreement, you just haven't posted it such a straightforward way. Ameobi isn't good enough for what we want and that Luque is a waste of space.

To suggest Ameobi is only good enough to be a squad player is something I'd agree with right now, and that Luque doesn't fancy English footballl is spot on, in my OPINION.

As you said its your OPINION and thats understood. But I still don't see HOW on earth people can come to the conclusion that Albert Luque "Doesn't fancy English Football"....

What absolute bollocks (thats my OPINION btw...)

I would really like to know how you have come to this conclusion....and perhaps you can compare it to someone who according to your OPINION does "fancy english football"....

I'm not going to bother quoting anyone in particular as there have been plenty of good points made on either side of the arguement. Instead I'll post a bit of a ramble.

Luque was dreadful for majority of last season. But that season is over and has to be forgotten about. Since the Sunderland game in April, every time he has appeared he has looked a significantly better player than his previous showings. I fully agree that goals in the testimonial and against Lillestrøm can't justify the huge fee paid out for Luque. Only given time and chances can any player show their worth. Given the money involved in bringing him here it is likely (and disappointing) that Luque is going to get less chances than Ameobi.

I can see the attractive qualities Shola brings despite his lack of being a complete player. He puts himself about. Is more likely to go chasing down lost causes (aka making stupid fouls) and has a higher workrate than the Spaniard. Luque plays a more continental style of football. Ball on the ground, skill based play utilising clever short movements and crisp passing. He's not suited to having the ball lumped at him from 60 yards and in typical La Liga style he's more inclined to take his time on the ball. Looking at other Spanish strikers in the Premiership recently I can understand the concern of the fans. Morientes hardly looked impressive with Liverpool and despite flashes of quality, Reyes does not look like the next big thing at Arsenal. But looking at Reyes, although he won't get 15 goals a season, he does get a huge amount of assists as a second striker which is perhaps something Roeder can build into Luque's game. I've no doubt that the player has qualities to offer, it looks like being a case of finding the best way to get them out of him. As mentioned before he has looked brighter since April and I'm willing to give him the chance to have a go from the start (like everyone else) this season before I bash him too heavily.

It should also be mentioned that in a world where an Emile Heskey costs £5.5M and where we would be looking to offload Luque for less than that it would concern me as to the quality of striker we could get in to replace him. I saw a mention of the term 'waste of space'. Maybe. But we have plenty of spaces to fill and not enough players to fill them. Hanging on to a player who has the ability to reach a high standard of performance is essential when we can only sell him for a feeble amount. If we do sell, who do we bring in? Jon Stead and Kevin Kyle? Let's just hope for the best.